PDA

View Full Version : Don't sell items in the shop that can be achieved by spending time

Nomadi
11th Apr 2015, 09:03
It is important for the players to have something to achieve. There are evolved skins for players who reach level 25 on a specific class. Giving skins to players who reach high levels is a great achievement for the players. Players will spend lots of time to reach those levels. Using the skins will inform other players that this guy is high level on a specific class.

The reason why i am writing this message is that the skins are also purchaseable using runestones. That completely negates the reason why anyone would play a specific class to get the skin. When i see a player with an evolved skin i would be like "Wow, this guy is level 25 on that class and is very likely a good player". Now that players can also get those skins using real world money changes my reaction to something like "Meh, that guy has spent almost 10 euros to get that skin".

The case is similar with the magma items. You can get them by playing but you can also get them by spending real world money. I kind of understand the reason why those are purchaseable because they are limited time items and not everyone can play all day to get those items. It still makes those items just a sign of the player spending lots of real world money on a free-to-play game. Magma items could have been a non limited time very rare drop without the ability to purchase them with runestones.

Next time when you implement something like this in the game. Do not sell the items in the shop that the players can get by spending lots of time in the game. Selling the items for real world money makes them worthless.

No one can know if that specific player got the item by using real world money or spending time in the game. Myself i expect everyone with those items to have bought them. Because simply its easier. If someone really wants it, they can get it instantly.

Selling skills and perks is completely fine. Skins that are only purchaseable from the shop are fine.

Selling uncanny skills is bad. Players can get a small advantage over others by spending real world money. That is basically pay-to-win.

--Ram--
11th Apr 2015, 09:34
If someone wants to spend a bunch of money to get a cosmetic item they can get for free then let them, the game needs to make money.

I earned my evolved skins the long way and I don't feel the slightest best bothered if someone buys them. It do however feel amused when I see the evolved sentinels who have no idea how to land an abduct or speed boost.

The pay to win uncanny items arguement is pretty flimsy, the advantage you get is very minor. If someone doesn't have all the time in the world to farm for items I don't see why they shouldn't be able to play on even terms with the players who do if they throw in a few bucks. Pay to win doesn't really occur until the best items are available only through using real money.

Creaturegirl
11th Apr 2015, 09:47
The trouble is, every person who worked on this game did it to pay the bills. They made the game free to play specifically for this purpose. To draw a fan base in, then hook them enough in hopes that they get revenue from micro transactions. Otherwise, there would be no reason for them to do updates. Or even make the game in the first place for that matter.

Now, I'm not trying to defend them that its a good idea to sell items that you can simply earn in game if you play long enough,(because I'm very meh about it myself) but if you look at it from a job perspective. Its a necessary evil. The one thing I DO appreciate is that they've made most of the items that are available for sale to be earned instead of bought through micro transactions. Instead of barring us from them completely. Its not "We won't give it to you if you don't pay up....EVER." Save for some of the skins.

You can still get uncanny equipment drops without having to purchase it. It just takes time. Plus, each perk on the weapon has a minor drawback to go with it. People can dump a month's salary on uncanny equipment. However unless they put in the time to learn how to use the equipment and play the game properly, they aren't going to suddenly going to be knocking sentinels out of the sky with one well auto-aimed shot or instantly be able to down four humans with one mighty claw swing or ground pound.

All that being said. Yeah. I hate seeing someone with an evolved skin because I almost always think, "Oh great, look who has money to burn. Yeah yeah, keep flaunting it you ****." As opposed to, "Oh man I gotta watch out for him!" One thing I would LOVE to see, is a skin in the future for each class that can ONLY be earned through leveling up that class and not through purchasing. I can see this as being a very reasonable request to the devs. If they have to, they can serve up the other stuff on a buying platter, but give us at least this to show that we didn't just dish out some dough to look fancy.

ApollosBow
11th Apr 2015, 15:36
One thing I would LOVE to see, is a skin in the future for each class that can ONLY be earned through leveling up that class and not through purchasing. I can see this as being a very reasonable request to the devs.

Good idea, perhaps a recolor of the evolved skins.....

Silver & Purple themed evolved Reaver
Original concept colored evolved Tyrant

...stuff like that would be a great level 30 award for each character or beyond..

Cody_The_Wiser
11th Apr 2015, 16:46
Good idea, perhaps a recolor of the evolved skins.....

Silver & Purple themed evolved Reaver
Original concept colored evolved Tyrant

...stuff like that would be a great level 30 award for each character or beyond..

NO. NO. NEIN. IYADA. STOP. Reskins are the **** thing to ever befoul games. Reskins are GARBAGE. It's lazy, boring, unintesting. I'd never use it over an evolved skin. Bump up the prerequisite to level 40 or 45 to unlock an incredibly rare skin (NOT A RESKIN). I'd honesty prefer it if they just removed the ability to purchase those skins. As OP says, the ability to purchase these items completely contradicts their existence as items meant to recognize a player's experience with the class skin. Seriously, if they devs want **** money implement a superb skin customization system (with exclusive items reserved for experienced players who have earned them) and watch the money pour in. Also, reduce the price of the **** skins and event items. Those price tags are ABSURD.

ApollosBow
11th Apr 2015, 17:24
NO. NO. NEIN. IYADA. STOP.

There not going to make a skin for every class that's level based and yields no profit for the work, the team is small and that would take up to much time, only hope of that happening would be a reskin of the evolved skins since that would just entail some color palette swaps. Besides the newest reskins of the default skins look better than some of the runestone skins.

Also the store pricing on character skins seems very fare, especially considering sales, to do with the event weapon skins - they are expensive yes but if you buy a drop rate booster and play you'll more than likely get what you wanted before the end of the 2 weeks and if you don't....games gotta make money somehow, so pay the piper for the one you wanted.

Bring the Rekin Revolution!!

Aggggh
11th Apr 2015, 20:00
There are a lot of things wrong with the game's monetization system. This is not one of them.

Also, having an evolved skin doesn't mean a player is good, just that they've put in enough time to get that skin.

Ghosthree3
11th Apr 2015, 20:45
So you don't understand the F2P model then.

AssortedStuff
11th Apr 2015, 23:40
Nomadi, I get the logic behind your reasoning, unfortunately in the real world the company behind the game is here to turn a profit. As long as it is not am outright 'pay to win' arrangement I agree to them selling whatever they want in the shop.

... When i see a player with an evolved skin i would be like "Wow, this guy is level 25 on that class and is very likely a good player". ...
Bad reasoning there. Will every player be a good one at reaching level 25? No. I know I'm not.
Having a free skin at 25 is just a way for Square Enix to entice you to stay and continue to play. It's just business, at the end of the day. (It's neither a good nor a bad thing).

The only bad thing (for the player) is to spend money on a skin and later on realizing that they would get it for free.

lucinvampire
13th Apr 2015, 12:15
I think the evolved skins are fine being able to buy or play for - why? Because they are classic skins that the vampires should have had since the get go imo. If you follow the series then you'll know they are in fact what the "old school fans" of the series wanted.

I bought them - not to show I spent money but to show that I'm a fan of the LoK series and I wanted my vampires to look like they should have, the uniqueness the vampires from Nosgoth (the world) is a draw to some people. Of course since there release I’ve levelled up my bad boys to level 25, and I don't care that I could have just crammed to get the skin rather than buying it.

If people are that bothered about others showing support for the game/the series then I'm not sure what they expect from a FTP game...the devs have to get paid some how, and imo showing support for them and the work they do shouldn't be a negative.

I wouldn't mind though if the human skins were cram only though - why? Because they have no relation to the LoK series.