PDA

View Full Version : What we know so far

CHERNO-B1LL
9th Apr 2015, 14:11
From Reddit - Game details so far, provided by Game Informer condensed by Neogaf user Shinobi

Story

Takes place in 2029, 2 years after Human Revolution

Jensen is part of a covert, goverment-sponsored task force called Task Force 29, a new branch of Interpol, to combat a new breed of terrorism

Transhumans (augs) referred to as "clanks" by police

Jensen doesn't fully trust Task Force 29, so he also feeds intel to another covert organization called the Juggernaut Collective (whose potential leader Janus gets brief screentime at the end of Missing Link calling Garvin)

In true Deus Ex fashion, you often receive conflicting missions, neither can be fully trusted

Eidos won't comment on which ending it considers canon but is trying to string together different parts of each ending for the overall background of Mankind Divided

Story is in many ways a story of redemption for Jensen

The story they're telling is building to events that take place in the original Deus Ex

With Mankind Divided, they're exploring the original game's past; "Is the depiction of past events from the original Deus Ex true? Will we discover stuff we never knew?"

Locations:

Added a lot of diversity to the environments

One of Jensen's missions takes him to Utulek (~meaning shelter) Station in Prague, now a ghetto for augmented individuals

It is nicknamed "Golem City", based on the real life Kowloon Walled City

Shops line the streets, temporary housing units stacked on one another reaching upwards toward the sky; claustrophobic atmosphere

Missions:

Mission to track down a leader of an aug group, but police have captured the informant

Can choose to converse with the informant's wife for clues or cause a scene with the police

Alternatively Jensen can bypass this area of the game altogether and find the leader's hideout on his own

Potential for Jensen to engage in tense conversation with the leader, resulting in a diplomatic solution or violence

Side quests meant to be more meaningful, ex. players can choose to make deals with criminal organizations and its mob boss might call in a favor later interrupting main missions

No fetch quests: the team sees the extra quests as a way to explore the main themes of the game more deeply
Features twice as many augmentations as Human Revolution

Augmentations:

New remote hack augmentation allows Jensen to activate shortcuts through areas to pass enemies

Augmentation features can be assigned on the d-pad for quick selection

Augmentations consume a fixed amount of energy, when Jensen stops using them he regains a portion of it

Can still refill his augs completely with bio cells, Eidos wants the recharge mechanic to encourage using augs more liberally

Aug examples:

Tesla: little darts pop out of Jensen's knuckles allowing him to tag enemies and take them out quietly

Silent Run: Allows Jensen to move quickly across any floor without making a sound (combo with cloaking)

C.A.S.I.E.: Allows Jensen to analyze the mental state of individuals, helping him to respond adequately in conversations

PEPS Gun: Non-lethal weapon that pops out of Jensen's bionic arm and fires a concussive blast allowing him to knock an enemy out, kill him or flee

Gameplay

"You can go full combat or full stealth throughout any part of the game"

Boss encounters are designed in a way to allow players to approach any way they want (stealth, full combat, etc)

Eidos noted fans who played stealthily enjoyed the game more so spent several years iterating on gunplay

Mankind Divided's moment-to-moment action plays out like a series of set-piece moments, a 'remarkable feat' considering nothing is scripted

Jensen can adjust his weapons at any point mid-battle, changing ammo type, firing pattern, scopes, etc. (a la Crysis it seems)

Some enemies have external tech like exoskeletons and mechs to combat Jensen

Variety of enemies have a diversity of weapons, augments, or other high-tech combat tools, some have high-jump abilities, etc.

Focused on making A.I. more intelligent, aggressive, flanking, etc.

Certain elements of the environment now react to combat

Females are also now part of the regular enemies in the game

Misc:

Listed as singleplayer, no mention of multiplayer

No plans for a Deus Ex MMO

No plan for Human Revolution saves to carry over, but Eidos is planning for a franchise now, want to expand further after HR's success

TressFX and Directx12 will be supported

Well **** me! Colour me impressed... and sort of orangy. This all sounds promising. I hold out hope now for a better story.

CyberP
9th Apr 2015, 14:21
"-Added a lot of diversity to the environments"

Oh thank Deus. That will win a lot of points with many people, although given JJB's style that's gonna be a hell of a lot of money dumped into the art asset production...again.

A lot of it sounds cool, some of it sounds digressive and misguided. In my opinion of course.

CHERNO-B1LL
9th Apr 2015, 14:31
Ignore

CHERNO-B1LL
9th Apr 2015, 14:40
Ignore this, proper thread here - http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=154633

Somehow tried to edit and ended up reposting. Now I don't know how to delete. Sorry.

CHERNO-B1LL
9th Apr 2015, 14:46
"-Added a lot of diversity to the environments"

Oh thank Deus. That will win a lot of points with many people, although given JJB's style that's gonna be a hell of a lot of money dumped into the art asset production...again.

A lot of it sounds cool, some of it sounds digressive and misguided. In my opinion of course.

What don't you like the sound of specifically? I think most of it sounds like an improvement. I like the duality of loyalties. I hope they don't give too much away from that, or directly copy the original.

Varied environments were important to the first game. I loved the globe trotting nature of the adventure, everything feeling new and fresh (while still being grimy and dilapidated of course).

I really hope a lot more of the environment is interactive. One box being indestructible background scenery and others being movable was horrible. None of that please.

ZakKa89
9th Apr 2015, 15:54
there is already a 'gameinformer' thread about this with the same info.

You could add that TressFX en directx12 will be supported though

zwanzig_zwoelf
9th Apr 2015, 15:59
bro i trust eidos about handling the game my only concern is that thief was a superior game to dxhr and they need to give dxmd to thief team cuz dxhr is about woo woo woo im a supersoldier and thief is about running around stealing things music wubwubwub it has more of deus ex vibe than dxhr

s-jay2676
9th Apr 2015, 21:33
Is this still gonna be 1st person game or did they change that?

sirtaff
10th Apr 2015, 11:49
So silent run == thief swoop then....

Let's hope Jensen can still jump!!!

bro i trust eidos about handling the game my only concern is that thief was a superior game to dxhr and they need to give dxmd to thief team cuz dxhr is about woo woo woo im a supersoldier and thief is about running around stealing things music wubwubwub it has more of deus ex vibe than dxhr

I kinda wish the DE team would make thief, and the thief team.... erm... *cough* I guess they could employ new people to fill in the gap for the deus ex team working on thief.

CyberP
10th Apr 2015, 14:00
What don't you like the sound of specifically?.

Eidos noted fans who played stealthily enjoyed the game more
Said fans are completely blind. A focus on combat when it was the stealth that was in desperate need of redesign was misguided.

The story premise doesn't sound too interesting, but we'll see.

I cannot criticize more than that, which is good. A big one that remains to be seen is the xp system, and it is a shame that third person cover and takedowns still exist.
Overall it is looking to be progressive over HR, we shall see.

Now some observations:

"Jensen can adjust his weapons at any point mid-battle, changing ammo type, firing pattern, scopes, etc. (a la Crysis it seems)"
As long as the standard reload speed, firing rate, clip size type mods still exists and are one-time use, then I'll be happy. No "respeccing" please.

Features twice as many augmentations as Human Revolution.
Good luck attempting to balance that, if it is all part of one system all using the same "currency" and universal "prices" as in HR it will be difficult anyway. As long as there's some C&C/meaningful choice in the systems then, once again, I will be happy.