PDA

View Full Version : Controls/movement/gameplay Options

Psychomorph
8th Apr 2015, 17:51
Those are important. Team did well by implementing a FOV option and making the augmented reality an option, too, in Human Revolution, but I'd like to see more.

If the 3rd person cover system will be a feature, which I intend not to use as I didn't make use of it in Human Revolution (if so, than only to compensate the lack of leaning and other shortcomings where necessary), than I'd like to have alternatives, such as leaning, sneaking, climbing, etc.

When a game is not focused on fast paced movement, but exploration, than it drives mad if "walk" is not somehow by default, or at least a toggle. So when using a controller you can define the pace by the analogue stick, and on PC give us equal options, where one can set whether default movement is walk or run, and whether the run is a hold key or toggle. Whether crouch is hold or toggle. Lean by modifier key + movement keys, or separate keys. Whether lean is toggle or hold.

Look at Alien Isolation, pure 1st person, with movement modes, lean, minimal HUD. It works and more than that, it makes the game more fun to play and immersive. The PC controls are good, too.

IvanaKC
8th Apr 2015, 19:11
When a game is not focused on fast paced movement, but exploration, than it drives mad if "walk" is not somehow by default, or at least a toggle. So when using a controller you can define the pace by the analogue stick, and on PC give us equal options, where one can set whether default movement is walk or run, and whether the run is a hold key or toggle. Whether crouch is hold or toggle. Lean by modifier key + movement keys, or separate keys. Whether lean is toggle or hold.

Crouching, walking and sprinting were all toggle on PC controls if you chose to make it so.

If the 3rd person cover system will be a feature, which I intend not to use as I didn't make use of it in Human Revolution (if so, than only to compensate the lack of leaning and other shortcomings where necessary), than I'd like to have alternatives, such as leaning, sneaking, climbing, etc.

This I cannot agree with. The game is more focused on stealth and the cover system is intended for that. Leaning would only add it to the action FPS side which I don't want Deus Ex to become.

What do you mean by sneaking and climbing? You could do both in HR. Sneaking had such a variety - you could crouch, be invisible, use the silent mode...

68_pie
8th Apr 2015, 19:52
This I cannot agree with. The game is more focused on stealth and the cover system is intended for that. Leaning would only add it to the action FPS side which I don't want Deus Ex to become.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha... *kills self*

You realise that the original Deus Ex was first-person with lean?

IvanaKC
8th Apr 2015, 20:07
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha... *kills self*

You realise that the original Deus Ex was first-person with lean?

Sure, it's been ditched for progress. Don't judge me, I'm a big fan of HR, not the first two games.

68_pie
8th Apr 2015, 21:23
Sure, it's been ditched for progress.

"progress" :lmao:

Don't judge me

Oh, you must not have met me yet. Hi, I'm pie, I probably hate everything you like.

I'm a big fan of HR, not the first two games.

And thus you are the reason we will never get a good Deus Ex game again.

IvanaKC
8th Apr 2015, 21:49
"progress" :lmao:

Can't kill progress. :p

Oh, you must not have met me yet. Hi, I'm pie, I probably hate everything you like.

Every forum member must have a hater, right? Looks like I've finally found mine. :p

And thus you are the reason we will never get a good Deus Ex game again.

That is your personal opinion and yours alone. I don't think HR was bad and neither do many people who are getting excited for its sequel. Besides, get used to developers pleasing the market, not the hardcore fans.

MasterTaffer
8th Apr 2015, 23:06
Get along. Keep the sharp tongues behind all your teeth where they belong.

WildcatPhoenix
8th Apr 2015, 23:31

Look at Alien Isolation, pure 1st person, with movement modes, lean, minimal HUD. It works and more than that, it makes the game more fun to play and immersive. The PC controls are good, too.

This is all I've ever asked for. Just make 3rd person camera an option, not a necessity. Give me lean and crouch keys and let me, the player, choose which perspective I want to experience the game in.

The same would go for things like regenerating health or radar: MAKE THEM AUGMENTATIONS. If the player wants those things, then make him/her expend resources (Praxis kits, aug installs, whatever you want to call them) to gain these features. If the player doesn't want them, don't make them a default.

Psychomorph
9th Apr 2015, 05:06
What frustrates me about Splinter Cell Blacklist is that if you use the cover system to hop from cover to cover, than you're invisible, but if you do the same thing, but manually by running crouched from cover to cover, every enemy instantly sees and hears you.
This is such a poor and inconsistent implementation, that rewards pressing a button to win and punishes if you try to have fun actually playing yourself.

A similar experience I had with Human Revolution, where I could see around corners from the 3rd person cover system, but with the 1st person had to step out completely, because there is no lean. The use of an abusive and over effective system is supported and encouraged, while doing it by yourself is effectively not an option.

I also feel silly stacking up crates, because Adam couldn't climb. Before any agility upgrades, a person should be able to do at least what people can in real life and that is climbing on a crate that may be an inch too high for you to jump on it.

A Thief level movement would be my dream.

Avenging_Teabag
9th Apr 2015, 08:42
What frustrates me about Splinter Cell Blacklist is that if you use the cover system to hop from cover to cover, than you're invisible, but if you do the same thing, but manually by running crouched from cover to cover, every enemy instantly sees and hears you.

Offtopic, but that's flat out not true. See the first minute of this video (apologies for plugging my own, but I think it illustrates the point pretty well):
ETA: okay, wtf is wrong with video embedding on this forum????

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-428R1dgsYI&list=PLIu5KlRmz6M8jzPPhDyzuHVLdRtfu7RCl&index=1