PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: Mankind Divided -Announcement/Gen Discussion - NEW: DXMD @ No1 UK Charts

Pages : [1] 2

Poticha
8th Apr 2015, 15:28
Hey everyone!

As you know, we've just announced Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. There is quite a bit going on, so we'll list the main official content here!

Announcement Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2kd7F3YFz8)
Game Informer - Cover Reveal (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/04/07/may-cover-revealed-deus-ex-mankind-divided-568435.aspx)
New Official Website (http://www.deusex.com)
Deus Ex Universe app - Available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/app/deus-ex-universe/id969105136?ls=1&mt=8) and Google Play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.squareenix.DeusExCompanion)

Avenging_Teabag
8th Apr 2015, 16:36
Just wanted to say: thank you, I so asked for this.

Off to watch the trailer again )))

Psychomorph
8th Apr 2015, 16:40
Have been waiting for this announcement for years.

DuxCro
8th Apr 2015, 17:00
Well that was a pleasant surprise. I hoped for something like Human Revolution. Because Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of my favorite games of all time. But i didn't expect for Adam Jensen to return for sequel. So you surpassed my expectations. :) Is there a release date, or did i miss it? Because i see the game is already available for pre-order.

JarJar2
8th Apr 2015, 17:16
Yup, bringing the original team back is great. Get turnt up to hype.

knox140
8th Apr 2015, 17:25
wow... great to see Adam again. wasn't expecting that. :D

Is there a release date, or did i miss it? Because i see the game is already available for pre-order.

Games companies put their games up for preorder before release dates are announced all the time. it's kinda crappy of them but what can you do

rosumparat
8th Apr 2015, 17:35
Just so you know, I tried to use that app that lets you scan the "triangle' at the end of the trailer so that you can get the trailer soundtrack, but it's all BS! The app is broken, either let's you login but can't scan, either can't login at all. So I was forced to use other means to get that track.
Thanks Square or whoever smart ass developed that app.

Shaikh
8th Apr 2015, 17:37
Another EPIC Square Enix CGI trailer. Stunning work once again by Visual Works. Feels like I was watching a breathtaking CGI film. Well done guys. :)

And damn, I need that Adam Jensen coat. :D

DaedalusIcarusHelios
8th Apr 2015, 17:54
Just so you know, I tried to use that app that lets you scan the "triangle' at the end of the trailer so that you can get the trailer soundtrack, but it's all BS! The app is broken, either let's you login but can't scan, either can't login at all. So I was forced to use other means to get that track.

I finally got the scan to work when I had the image of the triangular bar code almost as big as my phone's screen. Don't try to fit it in the triangular outline. I'm using the app from Google Play (via Snap on my BlackBerry Z10 - there doesn't seem to be any dependence on Google Play services, thankfully for me).

IvanaKC
8th Apr 2015, 18:29
I'm glad I stumbled upon live trailer. The animation, the music - I've already watched this more times than I should've. Elias' voice is almost cathartic to hear. I'm glad Adam is back. :D

Those were my exact thoughts whenever I was playing DEHR. It's the flowers pattern isn't it? :p

zwanzig_zwoelf
8th Apr 2015, 19:40
bro im so excited sacha lets dance :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Apr 2015, 20:29
Good times coming! We asked for this. :cool:

Stellazira
8th Apr 2015, 20:54
I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS. I HAVEN'T BEEN EXCITED FOR A GAME IN AGES.

:thumb:

xaduha3
8th Apr 2015, 21:25
Pre-order is up, without a release date. Nice.

MrSirShpee
8th Apr 2015, 22:26
This is probably the most excited I've been for any game, ever. Dis gon b gud. I would hope that Mankind Divided releases sometime this fall if they already have boxart, preorders, and a Steam page live.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
9th Apr 2015, 11:23

Here you go:
https://www.musterbrand.com/collections/deus-ex?utm_source=MBS&utm_medium=URL&utm_campaign=DeusEx

WhiteCopy
9th Apr 2015, 15:49
Whoo ! Great news ! Impatient too !

daedalus09
10th Apr 2015, 04:12

Agreed. I downloaded a 41MB "app" that didn't work worth a ****. Can't login, can't register, can't scan the image unless you're logged in. Great quality control on your next-generation medium outlet.

xaduha3
14th Apr 2015, 17:08
It's nice to see that the high standards set by the previous EM Community Managers are being upheld.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Apr 2015, 19:13
Its more of an oddity, to be fair. The app appears to work for some and not for others. No idea why that is though...:hmm:

Poticha
15th Apr 2015, 18:08
If you're having trouble logging in, please try using your email address instead of your username. If you still can't log in, the problem might be related to your Square Enix account - in that case, you should contact the Square Enix support centre (http://support.eu.square-enix.com/main.php?id=1160&la=2).

If you're having trouble scanning the code, as DaedalusIcarusHelios mentioned, have the code take more space on your screen and it should work. :)

We're working on improving the app and further updates will be coming soon!

JCpies
15th Apr 2015, 21:04
Will the app content be available through the official site?

I'm a luddite without a smart phone. #purityfirst

Dvaythavvar
16th Apr 2015, 20:08
Will the app content be available through the official site?

I second this question. For same reasons.

Poticha
16th Apr 2015, 23:29
It's not planned at the time being but we're sure you'll share the stuff between yourselves. :)

68_pie
17th Apr 2015, 07:47
It's not planned at the time being but we're sure you'll share the stuff between yourselves. :)

So we're doing your job for you? Do we get commission?

Irate_Iguana
17th Apr 2015, 08:36
So we will be getting more cutscenes and it's safe to say that takedowns will still be 3rd person.

AlexPakh
17th Apr 2015, 08:56
Hello. Can Square Enix share with us (fans) the announcement trailer (produced for US or UK) in high quality (uncompressed, high resolution, high bitrate)? The one whose size is about 1Gb. Please.
I like to rewatch it and I'm not the only one.
Thank you!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Apr 2015, 10:26
I'm sure this will come. :cool:
Afaik, Game Informer has exclusivity for a short time.

So we're doing your job for you? Do we get commission?

We don't offer commission, just cookies. But they are delicious. :D

Dvaythavvar
17th Apr 2015, 16:13

*frowns* But ... but ...

68_pie
17th Apr 2015, 18:21
*frowns* But ... but ...

You'll get used to this sort of thing.

Avenging_Teabag
17th Apr 2015, 18:50
So we will be getting more cutscenes and it's safe to say that takedowns will still be 3rd person.
Maybe they will make it optional. Shhhh, let me dream...

xaduha3
17th Apr 2015, 19:08
*frowns* But ... but ...

*yawns* https://soundcloud.com/eidosmontreal/dxng-trailer-v15-music-24bit-48khz/s-xGG7X

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Apr 2015, 20:04
Thanks for the link to the trailer music. I like. :cool:

3rdmillhouse
17th Apr 2015, 22:40

Enjoy your motion-sickness and Dramamine overdose when Mankind Divided is inevitably modded and takedowns are in 1st person.

Poticha
17th Apr 2015, 23:02
Hello. Can Square Enix share with us (fans) the announcement trailer (produced for US or UK) in high quality (uncompressed, high resolution, high bitrate)? The one whose size is about 1Gb. Please.
I like to rewatch it and I'm not the only one.
Thank you!

Hey there! The file is available over at Gamersyde: http://www.gamersyde.com/download_deus_ex_mankind_divided_announcement_trailer-34460_en.html

Dvaythavvar
18th Apr 2015, 00:22
*yawns* https://soundcloud.com/eidosmontreal/dxng-trailer-v15-music-24bit-48khz/s-xGG7X

Cheers ! o/

Irate_Iguana
18th Apr 2015, 09:14
Enjoy your motion-sickness and Dramamine overdose when Mankind Divided is inevitably modded and takedowns are in 1st person.

You do realise that when people want 1st person takedowns they mean takedowns designed to be viewed in 1st person, such as those in Dishonored, and not some Michael Bay-esque adaption of 3rd person takedowns?

AugmentedLynx
18th Apr 2015, 12:43
Will the game force me to eliminate enemies in order to get experience? In HR even if I slipped through baddies, I had to backtrack to take down everyone just to not let exp get away. Thanks.

AlexPakh
19th Apr 2015, 00:46
Hey there! The file is available over at Gamersyde: http://www.gamersyde.com/download_deus_ex_mankind_divided_announcement_trailer-34460_en.html
I already found it. That's way I did remark "produced for US or UK".
I see the difference between this:
Announcement Trailer from Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2kd7F3YFz8)
http://i.imgur.com/A15dIdal.jpg
and this:
http://i.imgur.com/A2Vcjpql.jpg
Obviously, it's not the result that canadian film editor gets on his screen.
And what about previous game, Human Revolution? I found uncompressed E3 Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FRWYRqaGFE) (size is about 1.1Gb, 1920x1080), but couldn't find Extended Cut CGI Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoRwOux7Ofw) (667Mb, 1280x720).

I really don't understand why Eidos Montreal cannot post all the content on its "New Official Website (http://www.deusex.com/)" of Deus Ex games, and we have to look for it on the Web?

P.S.: The same considerations I have about the Tomb Raider series.

xaduha3
19th Apr 2015, 02:14

You do realise that when people want 1st person takedowns they mean takedowns designed to be viewed in 1st person, such as those in Dishonored, and not some Michael Bay-esque adaption of 3rd person takedowns?

In addition to that ^: HR mods came pretty late and the scene isn't exactly blooming. "inevitably"? There are plenty of games that don't really have mods. Depends on the engine and tools.

Ex_Zero
21st Apr 2015, 19:18
Ok, I have to ask and I'm hoping I'm in the right thread. Does anyone know why the preorder is so bland? I mean, the DX HR preorder was "we have weapons exclusive package" and "mission bonus package" and there was an artbook and soundtrack and all. Why is there NOTHING like that now??? What is going on here and when will they be putting the inevitable extras out? If we preorder now will we be getting these fun extras? Deus Ex has been my favorite franchise since I bought the original game and played the bleep out of it. I want to give these people my money but I don't want to buy a $60 game 3 times to get my artbook and soundtrack, etc. And yes, I want a boxed PC edition so I can put it on my shelf beside the others and my William Gibson books. And one more thing- I see that Musterbrands has taken down their Deus Ex line of clothing. I know they probably were out of almost everything but as a person who bought almost every article of clothing including all 3 versions of the nearly $200 Jensen's coat I am hoping they are going to come out with a brand new line for Mankind Divided. I hate waiting until the end of the year for new Deus Ex stuff. How many Call of Dutys are out there and how often do they get pumped out for franchise dollars? I want more DX and I want it now! Can I request they put out a full size artbook like Remember Me did? A hardcover Deus Ex Bible type book that covers the entire history from HR to IW and everything in between. I would love to see my favorite franchise ever take a step off into the let's pimp out our name and put it on everything from t-shirts to toilet paper! It's hard to find good cyberpunk stuff nowadays. Syndicate let me down, hopefully Satellite Reign won't. Deus Ex is the only real franchise that keeps delivering but they're so slow at putting stuff out there that I have a craving that Eidos isn't fulfilling.

68_pie
21st Apr 2015, 19:52
You know you can always cancel a preorder...

Irate_Iguana
22nd Apr 2015, 07:51
I wish I could force people to stop preordering. And to use the enter key.

CyberP
22nd Apr 2015, 08:33
Go easy on the DX1 fan. He'll come in handy fighting off the new-gen fanboy hordes ;)

Avenging_Teabag
22nd Apr 2015, 15:36
There's nothing wrong with preordering if you were going to buy the game on launch anyway. And let's face it, 99% of the people here are getting MD on launch.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Apr 2015, 15:42
There will always be pros and cons to preordering. Its only a bad thing if you aren't careful about it...you can cancel at any time; so no biggie.

Pre-order incentives can be good - eg. reduced price and access to exclusive content. I pre-order and I've never been disappointed. Admittedly, the odds are probably in my favour because I don't purchase as many games as others do.

FrankCSIS
22nd Apr 2015, 23:18
I wish I could force people to stop preordering. And to use the enter key.

I can't help with the enter key, but it has just occurred to me that in order to discourage preorder practices in the industry, the vilest way to go about it would be a good old fashioned capital flight. Massive preorders during early stages, followed by massive cancellations a few weeks before it goes gold. If it worked to destabilise Latin American countries...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Apr 2015, 00:21
You can't kill progress. :p
Times have changed and pre-ordering is pretty much the norm these days for most major releases.

CyberP
23rd Apr 2015, 01:07
Pre-order incentives can be good - eg. ...access to exclusive content.

That isn't good. The "exclusive" content is only made exclusive as incentive to pre-order. Said exclusive content is often wasteful nonsense that conflicts with the game's design/balancing. Waste of development efforts and resources. The developers could be focusing on improving the game rather than coding in 10000 credits that only unlock under certain conditions (you have the pre-order edition) and said pre-order edition requires other exclusive development resources (DLC unlock codes, unique box art, retail listings, marketing focus etc).
Bad practice that needs to stop. It results in greater profits, but through bad business practice and as a result it is another thing of many that makes the quality of a game suffer.
Gaming is not the creative outlet for artists to truly express themselves and make great entertainment anymore, the business side of things is more dominant than ever, but the majority of consumers are completely blind/undemanding/docile. Times have changed indeed. #CantKillProgressOfBusinessGrowth

Avenging_Teabag
23rd Apr 2015, 06:28
Gaming is not the creative outlet for artists to truly express themselves and make great entertainment anymore, the business side of things is more dominant than everOf course it's both. Like in every form of media, there are commercialized, mass-appealing titles, and there are more artistic, niche ones. Both can be good in their own way, but good luck longing for times when one becomes the other. It's never gonna happen.

CyberP
23rd Apr 2015, 08:26
Of course it's both. Like in every form of media, there are commercialized, mass-appealing titles, and there are more artistic, niche ones. Both can be good in their own way, but good luck longing for times when one becomes the other. It's never gonna happen.

Do you remember a time, not too many years back, when Square, Enix and Eidos where not one and the same and certainly not consistent garbage producers? When the next big game wasn't utterly compromised in design vision? Back when popular rarely equaled bad, but good instead? Back when journalists weren't in the pockets of publishers but somewhat independent? When limiting mobile gaming was not the most appealing market with the highest returns? When consoles and PCs offered unique experiences and not every game had to be designed for both? It wasn't all golden back then, but I could have never imagined it would get this bad. Lol at companies like EA, it was started as one that wanted more creative freedom from Atari's oppressive ways. Look at it now.

"Of course it's both."

Not really. Even indie is often compromised. Looking at Kickstarter as well as the most popular indie games being gimmicky as **** or rehashed concepts with content stripped.

"Both can be good in their own way"

Both can be "Good for what it is", if we are lucky. Human Revolution was one such game.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Apr 2015, 08:34
That isn't good.
It is for me... and I presume many others agree, seeing how popular preordering has become.

CyberP
23rd Apr 2015, 08:42
It is for me... and I presume many others agree, seeing how popular preordering has become.

Perhaps my point wasn't clear enough. You're not getting some special deal with pre-order exclusives. Back before pre-order incentives that content would just be in the game already by default, for everyone, as a secret unlock for instance (and also often not conflicting with the design too).
It holds back the potential quality of a game, but of course most consumers don't see that and nor should they be expected to.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Apr 2015, 09:00
Perhaps my point wasn't clear enough. You're not getting some special deal with pre-order exclusives.
Of course. People already know this.
Incentives/bonuses are not the reason people decide to preorder a game. They're going to buy it anyway because they are interested in playing it.
By preordering, they enjoy a discounted price and a guaranteed copy... and anything else that is thrown into the mix.

68_pie
23rd Apr 2015, 09:31
By preordering, they enjoy a discounted price and a guaranteed copy... and anything else that is thrown into the mix.

Same as if they waited until 6 months after release.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Apr 2015, 09:37
Of course. Though if people are interested in playing a new game, they don't wish to wait that long. I certainly don't. :D

Irate_Iguana
23rd Apr 2015, 13:17
There's nothing wrong with preordering if you were going to buy the game on launch anyway. And let's face it, 99% of the people here are getting MD on launch.

Even if you were going to buy the game on day 1 (which you really shouldn't do unless you can make an informed decision) your preorder is keeping this bad practice alive. You gain almost nothing and at the same time manage to make things worse for the rest of us.

Incentives/bonuses are not the reason people decide to preorder a game. They're going to buy it anyway because they are interested in playing it.

Preorders served a purpose when everyone had to go to their local game store in order to get a copy and replacement copies could take weeks to arrive. Back then if you wanted to make sure you could play a game as soon as it came out you had to preorder, everything else is a gamble. Nowadays you can get a digital copy anytime you want and a normal copy will be available in a shop if you have to have a physical game.

So why do I think you shouldn't preorder games? Well, the fact that companies are desperate to get you to preorder should be reason enough. Especially when it comes to the big names. None of them give even the tiniest amount of a hint of an idea of a crap about the gamer.

Last year there were quite a few games released that were considered broken when they first came out. They either had game crippling bugs or just plain didn't work. It took many tries for most of them to be playable and some never really did get fixed. Hell, even the Director's Cut of HR was broken on release and still isn't fixed. By preordering you're saying that it doesn't matter how they deliver the game. You take away any incentive for a company NOT to cut corners. As long as the marketing department manages to crush any chance of an honest review they can get away with anything.

This is the second thing that preorders have done. They've essentially killed demos and reviews. Lots of publishers now place embargoes on review sites. They prevent them from releasing reviews until games have already been launched for a day or so. Unless of course you're willing to give a game high marks. This makes any review immediately suspect. You're never quite sure if it has been bought with exclusivity or if they are generally enthusiastic. The marketing campaign is aimed towards avoiding specifics of gameplay and instead tries to woo you with eyecandy in the form of pre-rendered trailers and bullshots. It takes away your chance to be informed. You know how I feel about game journalism, so I'd still be suspect of them even without this shady ****. The industry is rotten to its core.

Preordering and the stifling of the press also impacts the importance of word of mouth. The most powerful tool gamers have left to challenge crappy games. You've already bought the game. This makes you more or less immune to criticism of it and more likely to be favorable towards it. By making you pay money for something that you can't even evaluate yet they are making sure that you'll be less inclined to think negatively of their product. You'll pooh-pooh criticism and tout its virtue.

What do you honestly get out preordering? At max a small discount. From what I could tell most games don't even offer a discount and I have rarely seen one above 10%. The preorder DLC is not something you gain. It is something they take away from everyone else. Most of the time the assets are already on the disc and are only freed by a code that you put in. Normally these goodies would have been available to everyone, but because they needed something to pass to those that preorder they have to take something away from all of us. No company will put extra resources in. They'd much rather restrict. The worst of it is that people do order for these goodies. If they didn't there'd be no reason to splinter this DLC over all the different shops. Remember how splintered the preorder stuff was for Batman: Arkham City or how Steam had tiered a campaign for Squeenix's Tombraider?

I don't think that a small discount is worth it when it leads to carelessness by developers, further destruction of the gaming press, marginalizing word of mouth and ripping out assets for other gamers. Preorders kill the gamers importance for nothing.

Massive preorders during early stages, followed by massive cancellations a few weeks before it goes gold. If it worked to destabilise Latin American countries...

If gamers were even a hundredth as organized as it takes to pull that off the industry wouldn't be in the state it was in now.

Avenging_Teabag
23rd Apr 2015, 14:26
Do you remember a time, not too many years back, when Square, Enix and Eidos where not one and the same and certainly not consistent garbage producers?
How are they "consistent garbage producers" today? I don't play Tomb Rider or Hitman, but both recent titles were quite good, based on what I've heard. Nosgoth is excellent, Human Revolution was excellent. Thief was bad, but there gonna be some bad games. Consistent garbage? You're being unreasonably harsh.

When the next big game wasn't utterly compromised in design vision? Back when popular rarely equaled bad, but good instead? How do you know they're being utterly compromised? Some compromises are going to be made, people making games gotta earn a living. Companies have to make a profit, it's just reality. Look at how much crap is now on Steam greenlight, if you think that if there's no corporate pressures, everyone is gonna be a free artiste making game for the ages and thinking only about the design vision, think again.

Back when journalists weren't in the pockets of publishers but somewhat independent?
Agree with that, and that's why I don't rely on journalists to make decisions about buying games, and haven't for several years now.

Not really. Even indie is often compromised. Looking at Kickstarter as well as the most popular indie games being gimmicky as **** or rehashed concepts with content stripped.That's why the ultimate decision is yours and no one else's. 90% of everything is crap, be prudent.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Apr 2015, 14:38
That's why the ultimate decision is yours and no one else's. 90% of everything is crap, be prudent.

This. :thumbsup:

Avenging_Teabag
23rd Apr 2015, 19:23
Even if you were going to buy the game on day 1 (which you really shouldn't do unless you can make an informed decision) your preorder is keeping this bad practice alive. You gain almost nothing and at the same time manage to make things worse for the rest of us.Of course I'm making informed decisions. I preorder 1 or 2 games a year tops, and so far, in many years I got burned only once, with XCOM Declassified. That was a blunder on my part, what can I say, I'm a big fan of XCOm series. Right now I have exactly one game on preorder, the Wild Hunt. After E3, maybe I'll think of preordering Rainbow Six Siege. And I definitely gain something by preordering the games I'm confident in: a price discount, a chance to preload (which is important to me with my Eastern European internet, because the modern titles might clock upwards of 50 gb, and that takes about two days to download). Not to mention I'm showing my trust in the products I like. If some other people can't hold on to their money to save their lives, or can't tell a game they would like from a turd, that's not exactly my problem.

Pinky_Powers
23rd Apr 2015, 19:40
The business of preorders gets out of hand easily. But that's true for any industry where money is involved. Which, last I looked, was every industry.

Being a discriminating consumer is key to life and happiness. Can you still be fooled? Yes, and you will be. But you can learn from your mistakes, making better choices next time.

68_pie
23rd Apr 2015, 21:25
I don't play Tomb Rider or Hitman, but both recent titles were quite good, based on what I've heard.

Bastardizations of earlier games in the series. Both were horrid and felt incredibly dumbed down.

Nosgoth is excellent

A complete bastardization of the Soul Reaver games.

Human Revolution was excellent.

It was a good game but a bad Deus Ex game.

Thief was bad

Understatement.

Consistent garbage? You're being unreasonably harsh.

Actually, for once he's only being marginally hyperbolic.

68_pie
23rd Apr 2015, 21:35
Edit: I didn't double post, this was moved from the news thread because...I don't really know why. But for context, JFD said some dumb **** in a video.

Do I think I can bring something to the franchise? If the answer is no, then don't do it.

So...what exactly did you bring to the franchise?

Make it more shiny

Wut?

On the stealth part, I think we really have a lot of good foundations

You do, do you?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Apr 2015, 23:07
.I don't really know why.
You do.

Avenging_Teabag
24th Apr 2015, 07:25
Bastardizations of earlier games in the series. Both were horrid and felt incredibly dumbed down.
Metacritic scores: Hitman (reviews 79, users 7.0), Tomb Raider (reviews 86, users 8.5). Steam reviews for Hitman are very positive; couldn't find them for Tomb Rider. That's two solid games at the very least, so pardon me if I take your opinion with a grain of salt here.

A complete bastardization of the Soul Reaver games.
I don't give a flying patootie about "bastardization" of (warning: a mild hyperbole) some 15-years old moldy antiquity. All I care about is if game is technically stable fun to play, and I have a blast playing Nosgoth.

See above.

Irate_Iguana
24th Apr 2015, 09:45
Metacritic scores: Hitman (reviews 79, users 7.0), Tomb Raider (reviews 86, users 8.5). Steam reviews for Hitman are very positive; couldn't find them for Tomb Rider. That's two solid games at the very least, so pardon me if I take your opinion with a grain of salt here.

The latest Hitman was ****. It was by far the poorest installment in the series and managed to ruin its defining feature. When a Hitman game is best played by donning a disguise and rolling from cover to cover you know you ****ed up. They managed to **** up the characters of 47 and Diana and make the universe it is placed in more dumb.

Not that I like Metacritic anyway, but that is the lowest score for any Hitman game. Even lower than the incredibly punishing and ancient 1st installment and the retread that was Contracts.

CyberP
24th Apr 2015, 13:54
Oh dear, the guy goes and pulls out Metacritic Scores. At least use the averaged user scores and disregard the critics as the former are usually at best a little bit more accurate.

15-years old moldy antiquity.

You-know-who has morphed into his second form. Achtung!

Actually, for once he's only being marginally hyperbolic.

Shut it, Pie.

IvanaKC
24th Apr 2015, 14:50

Ah, there we are. I thought you really hated DXHR, to be honest.

Same thing can be said for Tomb Raider, though. Saying it was horrid is exaggerating. It was a good game (even attracted new people to the franchise), made me play it for two or three times from start to finish, but it didn't feel like past TRs.

Avenging_Teabag
24th Apr 2015, 14:51
The latest Hitman was ****. It was by far the poorest installment in the series and managed to ruin its defining feature. When a Hitman game is best played by donning a disguise and rolling from cover to cover you know you ****ed up. They managed to **** up the characters of 47 and Diana and make the universe it is placed in more dumb.

Not that I like Metacritic anyway, but that is the lowest score for any Hitman game. Even lower than the incredibly punishing and ancient 1st installment and the retread that was Contracts.Fine, so Hitman was less then stellar, still far cry from "consistent garbage".

Oh dear, the guy goes and pulls out Metacritic Scores. At least use the averaged user scores and disregard the critics as the former are usually at best a little bit more accurate.

You-know-who has morphed into his second form. Achtung!
First, I'm not a guy, second I don't know what the hell you're on about, so calm your tits, okay?

CyberP
24th Apr 2015, 14:58
Stop defending garbage, Lady. My tits are perfectly calm. It was a silly joke that you weren't meant to get.

Avenging_Teabag
24th Apr 2015, 15:02
Stop defending garbage, Lady.
Make me ;)

68_pie
24th Apr 2015, 21:40
Shut it, Pie.

:p

Same thing can be said for Tomb Raider, though. Saying it was horrid is exaggerating.

If it is called "Tomb Raider" then we have to judge it as a Tomb Raider game. It was a bad Tomb Raider game, therefore it was a bad game.

First, I'm not a guy

In which case I completely got wrong what "Teabag" was referring to :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Apr 2015, 22:23
If it is called "Tomb Raider" then we have to judge it as a Tomb Raider game.
Fact.

It was a bad Tomb Raider game, therefore it was a bad game.
Opinion.

IvanaKC
24th Apr 2015, 22:33
If it is called "Tomb Raider" then we have to judge it as a Tomb Raider game. It was a bad Tomb Raider game, therefore it was a bad game.

A game being good/bad is a matter of taste. No deduction needed, end of story.

Out of curiosity, did you play LAU trilogy? If you did, what do you think of those games?

68_pie
25th Apr 2015, 09:49
A game being good/bad is a matter of taste. No deduction needed, end of story.

Out of curiosity, did you play LAU trilogy? If you did, what do you think of those games?

I liked Legacy quite a bit although it had too much combat. Underworld had some great environments but it was a bit wonky. Something about Anniversary didn't click with me and I have never figured out why. Maybe just that it is a remake.

2/1/3/L/4/U/A/C/TR/AoD

IvanaKC
25th Apr 2015, 13:20
I liked Legacy quite a bit although it had too much combat. Underworld had some great environments but it was a bit wonky. Something about Anniversary didn't click with me and I have never figured out why. Maybe just that it is a remake.

2/1/3/L/4/U/A/C/TR/AoD

It's Legend. Too much combat with humans or generally?

So you like TR classics more, nice. Are you a fan of TR or did you just play games?

68_pie
25th Apr 2015, 22:01
Too much combat with humans or generally?

Both.

I wouldn't say I was a fan but I like the majority of them.

CyberP
25th Apr 2015, 22:46
New TR's are inferior to the technically-simplistic first few games, which had good design yet much room for improvement, much potential that was never met as the series went on, instead quite the opposite. The latest TR game is barely TR at all.
I quite liked Guardian of Light for what it was though, I'll give CD/SE that.

Pinky_Powers
26th Apr 2015, 00:03
The new Tomb Raider game was outstanding. The mechanics feel very different, but damn is it good. Also VERY Tomb Raider-y, once you get over the controls. Lots of weaponry, exploration, combat, puzzles, and... tomb raiding.

But I know some will never accept it. And that's cool. I like it when folk's prejudices make them unable to enjoy wonderful things. :D

IvanaKC
26th Apr 2015, 00:18
Both.

I wouldn't say I was a fan but I like the majority of them.

Thought so, to be honest. :thumb:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your fav games? Or maybe there still aren't any?

New TR's are inferior to the technically-simplistic first few games, which had good design yet much room for improvement, much potential that was never met as the series went on, instead quite the opposite. The latest TR game is barely TR at all.
I quite liked Guardian of Light for what it was though, I'll give CD/SE that.

The game mechanics had to be changed and LAU trilogy has it superior. Just like any new 3rd person game. There was no camera control at all. The rest actually stayed pretty much the same. And adding physics to the game is definitely an improvement.

The new Tomb Raider game was outstanding. The mechanics feel very different, but damn is it good. Also VERY Tomb Raider-y, once you get over the controls. Lots of weaponry, exploration, combat, puzzles, and... tomb raiding.

But I know some will never accept it. And that's cool. I like it when folk's prejudices make them unable to enjoy wonderful things. :D

I see that most people either hate the new TR or they adore it. I'm in between. While I enjoyed the control over aiming, there were too many sequences where player doesn't have full control over Lara. Also, tomb raiding is definitely missing.

The latest TR game is barely TR at all.

Care to explain why?

68_pie
26th Apr 2015, 08:57
Thought so, to be honest. :thumb:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your fav games? Or maybe there still aren't any?

1 - Fallout 2
2 - Shenmue
3 - Grim Fandango
4 - Day of Defeat
5 - Deus Ex
6 - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
7 - Baldur's Gate 2
8 - Alpha Protocol
9 - Outcast
10 - Planescape: Torment

xaduha3
26th Apr 2015, 09:09
http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=124540 or
http://forums.na.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=124540 (I guess, whichever)

That was 4 years ago, maybe it's time to do it again?

Shralla
26th Apr 2015, 19:42
We're gonna need a new copy+paste argument thread.

68_pie
26th Apr 2015, 20:04
We're gonna need a new copy+paste argument thread.

I reposted the old one. I'm happy to keep it up to date.

AdrianShephard
26th Apr 2015, 20:10
http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=124540 or
http://forums.na.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=124540 (I guess, whichever)

That was 4 years ago, maybe it's time to do it again?

I think that would be a good idea.

Pinky_Powers
27th Apr 2015, 00:14
Also, tomb raiding is definitely missing.

I traversed hundreds of deep dark places, and there were always many human remains. Therefore I call them tombs. As tomb-y as any found in the archives of the series.

FrankCSIS
27th Apr 2015, 01:52
I traversed hundreds of deep dark places

Please elaborate.

Pinky_Powers
27th Apr 2015, 05:23
Your...

*tries to hold it back*

Your...

*struggles harder*

Your mom.

*sighs in relief*

vallux
27th Apr 2015, 06:35
Ayyyy LMAO. #rekt #scrub

68_pie
28th Apr 2015, 12:21
I wish they had killed Jensen. So boring.

WildcatPhoenix
28th Apr 2015, 13:25
I wish they had killed Jensen. So boring.

The only problem I have with a dull protagonist is the idea that you need to anchor your entire game/franchise around his personality. EM/Square is clearly trying to build their next brand icon (Laura Croft, Agent 47, Kane & Lynch, etc), so future installments in this series are going to be all about how "cool Adam looks!!! omgzorz!" in his trendy jacket or while skewering goons.

Let's face it: DX1 and Invisible War didn't have incredibly compelling protagonists. JC was almost a complete blank slate, with a vaguely filled in backstory that you pieced together from conjecture and throwaway lines of dialogue. But the difference is this: with JC, the developers explicitly stated that they wanted to the player to impose his/her own self on to the character. They wanted you, the player, to immerse yourself in this universe and make your own choices. The idea was to put players in JC's shoes and let them shape his personality (Is he a cold-blooded killer, like Sgt. Kaplan says? A merciful pacifist who gives credits and food to homeless bums? A brilliant, reclusive computer hacker? You decide).

Instead, we now get EM's vision of Jensen crammed down our throats with cutscene after cutscene. They also sold us on 3rd person by telling us we needed to see Adam's augmentation choices changing his body. Okay, I have no problem with that part...except it didn't happen. With guys like Jensen, there is absolutely no need for nanoaugmentation. He can blend into the general populace without a hitch. Meanwhile, the duller aspects of his personality are just emphasized even further by "tough guy" dialogue and idiotic behavior in canned cutscenes.

Shralla
28th Apr 2015, 18:11
And as I've said before, JC had much more personality in his dialog options than Jensen ever did. Yeah his character was not as defined from the beginning as Jensen's but as you said that was because JC was supposed to represent YOU in the game world. JC could be a nice guy, a calm guy, a guy about to fly off the handle, a sarcastic *******... Adam is just a tough guy with a heart of gold no matter what options you pick. Even the "*******" options are still boring and non-impactful.

xaduha3
28th Apr 2015, 18:24
There were FPS games with more than one protagonist, right? Now that would be something. Jensen is here to stay, but a storyline branch, with female protagonist? One can dream...

Dvaythavvar
29th Apr 2015, 12:43
There were FPS games with more than one protagonist, right? Now that would be something. Jensen is here to stay, but a storyline branch, with female protagonist? One can dream...
Only if she'd be more like Netanya Keitner. I like badass women in games, but not kind that fantasy games tend to deliver.

CyberP
30th Apr 2015, 01:38
Thank You from the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Team [video]

The puppet master marketers at work. Absolutely fascinating.

If this is not the conceptualization of the marketing team and truly something the MD team wanted to express, no catch, then do accept my apologies. I am one doubtful cynical bastard though.

Anyway, too much futile negativity. I'll just wait and see this so-called "progress" when the time comes. I hope I am pleasantly surprised. Thank you for producing a game in this day and age that isn't absolute garbage, but there is much progress to be made.

FrankCSIS
30th Apr 2015, 01:57
So far I can safely say the marketing doesn't speak to me one bit, including this friendly stunt. I'm hoping we won't continuously be ignored in their communication plans, but I can recognise it works with a chunk of their hopeful audience.

Edit: BTW, the team has every right to be happy and proud of the viewcount and the reactions they've witnessed so far. If it energises them for the long, devastatingly harsh final months, good for them. I'd just like to reiterate, because I can, that while millions have viewed the trailer, roughly 15 people have been actively discussing the series in the past 60 months. You'd think the company would free some time in the community manager's schedule for him to properly update this place when news are released. Some of the spybots have a higher post count.

Irate_Iguana
30th Apr 2015, 09:09
So far I can safely say the marketing doesn't speak to me one bit, including this friendly stunt. I'm hoping we won't continuously be ignored in their communication plans, but I can recognise it works with a chunk of their hopeful audience.

You do remember the marketing for HR, right? From what I have seen so far the plan isn't that different. Carefully controlled marketing Q&A sessions, release of info in rounds to the major gaming press (making all previews read like they were written by a single guy), and the odd video. It worked pretty well for them last time and it won't be different this time around.

In fact, because of last time, I'm getting the feeling that everything is even more controlled by marketing. It feels like the game is much further along the development path and the marketing has been totally planned already.

CyberP
30th Apr 2015, 12:45
The puppet master marketers at work. Absolutely fascinating.

If this is not the conceptualization of the marketing team and truly something the MD team wanted to express, no catch, then do accept my apologies. I am one doubtful cynical bastard though.

Anyway, too much futile negativity. I'll just wait and see this so-called "progress" when the time comes. I hope I am pleasantly surprised. Thank you for producing a game in this day and age that isn't absolute garbage, but there is much progress to be made.

This post was moved from another thread. Here's the video for context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj9YUxKPZXI&feature=youtu.be

That would be dumb. Are you forgetting that YOU are meant to be the protagonist, the plot influenced by YOUR choices? Are you forgetting that this is meant to be an RPG, with an inventory, aug system and more?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Apr 2015, 12:54
Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj9YUxKPZXI&feature=youtu.be

A great video and I recommended viewing. Love the enthusiasm and passion from the devs and fans alike. :cool:

Shralla
30th Apr 2015, 15:53
That would be dumb. Are you forgetting that YOU are meant to be the protagonist, the plot influenced by YOUR choices? Are you forgetting that this is meant to be an RPG, with an inventory, aug system and more?

I think you forgot we're talking about HR/Mankind Divided, not the original Deus Ex or the ideals it supported.

CyberP
30th Apr 2015, 16:11
"Meant to be"

Human Revolution still has a notable amount of RPG progression systems. Switching character halfway through the game would rob you of your credits, inventory, augs, installed weapon mods and whatever else you can use to build your character. Switching to an entirely different character halfway through ****s on your choices, your strategy (ammo conservation etc), your future plans (I've saved all these candy bars for a heavy gunner takedown spree for example). Some games resolve this by passing on inventory etc to the next character, but you cannot exactly pass on installed augs and whatnot (well you could, but it will be jarring to say the least).

xaduha3
30th Apr 2015, 16:28

Stripping Jensen of his augs and weapons everytime is dumb too. Jensen doesn't represent ME the way JC did. You have a better idea?

In any case, as I said before, I don't expect anything great from MD, I just want to have some fun playing it. Playing a whole game as Jensen sounds less fun than playing half a game as Jensen and other half as a new character.

Human Revolution still has a notable amount of RPG progression systems. Switching character halfway through the game would rob you of your credits, inventory, augs, installed weapon mods and whatever else you can use to build your character

I can live with that.

Shralla
30th Apr 2015, 16:30
To nixxes. Again. After they messed up the last one.

I think this might seal the deal for me. Barring any amazing developments or $5 Steam sale, I don't think I'll be giving Square-Enix or Eidos Montreal any more of my money. What a joke.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/30/deus-ex-mankind-divided-on-pc-being-handled-by-nixxes

IvanaKC
30th Apr 2015, 16:36
Switching character halfway through the game would rob you of your credits, inventory, augs, installed weapon mods and whatever else you can use to build your character. Switching to an entirely different character halfway through ****s on your choices, your strategy (ammo conservation etc), your future plans (I've saved all these candy bars for a heavy gunner takedown spree for example).

That's exactly what is expected when you switch characters and ti can work well. An example is Devil May Cry 4, it happens with main characters in there - when the story switches from one to another character, he has no upgrades, but you don't even notice that because he has different abilities anyway.

CyberP
30th Apr 2015, 16:44
"Stripping Jensen of his augs and weapons everytime is dumb too".

Well it makes sense from a gameplay standpoint. Starting the game fully augged and kitted out would be no fun.
Of course it probably just shouldn't have been Jensen as the protag in MD at all, but brand recognition and all that.

"I don't expect anything great from MD, I just want to have some fun playing it."

Well that you shall receive you undemanding peasant. Remember where to look when you are ready for refined design.

That's exactly what is expected when you switch characters and ti can work well. An example is Devil May Cry 4, it happens with main characters in there - when the story switches from one to another character, he has no upgrades, but you don't even notice that because he has different abilities anyway.

It has never worked well in any game with progression systems. Progression Systems. Hello?
Oh right, IvanaKC. Never mind then.
And by different abilities you mean the super arm. SPAM THE B BUTTON FOR VICTORY! Way to ditch the progression systems for the sake of new "abilities" to change up the game rules.

Irate_Iguana
30th Apr 2015, 16:52
Old news.

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=154772&p=2119701#post2119701

xaduha3
30th Apr 2015, 17:24
<>

You said nothing new. What do you expect from MD? And how this will help to "shape" MD?

Irate_Iguana
30th Apr 2015, 17:31
"Stripping Jensen of his augs and weapons everytime is dumb too".

Well it makes sense from a gameplay standpoint. Starting the game fully augged and kitted out would be no fun.
Of course it probably just shouldn't have been Jensen as the protag in MD at all, but brand recognition and all that.

Something I have been wondering about for a while now is how they are planning on resetting Jensen, working in the new augs, and justifying his need to level up again.

Explaining a reset wouldn't be that hard. We know that a large magnetic pulse can reset augs to their base functions. The damage sustained from his near death at Panchaea could have forced them to bring their functionality back to zero in order for his brain to once again recover. They could also justify a reset because he doesn't have the same body as before. He could have new limbs because the old ones got damaged. He could have even been rebuilt because he was made with Sarif tech and his new UN handlers don't like that idea. Coming up with a reason for reset is not the hard part. Making the other two parts fit is trickier.

Adam had all his nifty toys built-in already. You didn't have to pick and choose an aug or swap limbs. All you needed to do was unlock them. JC was a blank slate because most augs weren't installed. They trained him, prepared his body to accept new nano-augs, and implanted the basics such as a comlink and IFF system. Same goes for Alex. If they want to justify the new augs they need to come up with a reason why Jensen's limbs were replaced. That in itself is not too hard. The afore mentioned damage after the collapse of Panchaea, damage in a recent operation of Task Force 29, or a rebuilt because of UN distrust. Hell, Adam could have even asked for upgrades to make his work easier.

The big question is why isn't Adam already fully leveled? In HR we couldn't use all nifty functions at once because Adam was still recovering. When he came back on duty after six months it took Adam about three days to unlock all functions? From a time standpoint Adam should have all his augs unlocked this time around. No matter why he has to have all new augs. Even if we assume he was clinically dead for most of those two years (ME2 wants a word) Adam is no stranger to augmentations this time around. Last time it took him six months to get to terms with the fact that he was now more robot than man. He had to learn the basics of moving with augs. He has done this before, his recovery should be much faster this time around. So there should be plenty of time for him to have gotten to know his new abilities. Not only that, but Adam is serving with an anti-terrorism task force. You don't send someone straight out of hospital on those types of missions. He had to have passed combat evaluations. If he is fit for combat we know from experience that it would not take long for him to unlock everything. It won't be easy for them to come up with a credible explanation.

xaduha3
30th Apr 2015, 17:56
And what about "Project Missing Link 2"?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21787303/images/500px-Oh-you-show.jpg
"Don't tell me you lost your augs again. Oh, Jensen"

IvanaKC
30th Apr 2015, 18:42
It has never worked well in any game with progression systems. Progression Systems. Hello?
Oh right, IvanaKC. Never mind then.
And by different abilities you mean the super arm. SPAM THE B BUTTON FOR VICTORY! Way to ditch the progression systems for the sake of new "abilities" to change up the game rules.

How is there no progression system in DMC4? Proud souls are equivalents of experience, you get to choose upgrades you want yourself throughout the game, enemies get different with progression of the story etc.
Also, the goal is to get the highest sss rank. There are many ways to play with Nero, and using just the arm won't get you anywhere. But yeah, CyberP, never mind then.

The big question is why isn't Adam already fully leveled? In HR we couldn't use all nifty functions at once because Adam was still recovering. When he came back on duty after six months it took Adam about three days to unlock all functions? From a time standpoint Adam should have all his augs unlocked this time around. No matter why he has to have all new augs. Even if we assume he was clinically dead for most of those two years (ME2 wants a word) Adam is no stranger to augmentations this time around. Last time it took him six months to get to terms with the fact that he was now more robot than man. He had to learn the basics of moving with augs. He has done this before, his recovery should be much faster this time around. So there should be plenty of time for him to have gotten to know his new abilities. Not only that, but Adam is serving with an anti-terrorism task force. You don't send someone straight out of hospital on those types of missions. He had to have passed combat evaluations. If he is fit for combat we know from experience that it would not take long for him to unlock everything. It won't be easy for them to come up with a credible explanation.

I too think that Jensen must've lost some of his abilities. You explained very well how incident in Panchaea could've affect Jensen, but since the augmentation technology got advanced and two years have passed, the player might start the game with certain augmentations that Jensen's superiors consider enough (which might be already better than those in HR). I'm sure more augs will be added besides the ones so far revealed so it would compensate.

NoctisJack
3rd May 2015, 03:21
wow,
i have been waiting for this kind of game style for years since human revolution came out!!! felt like my dream come true!!! thank you very much guys u all make my dream come true!!!:worship:

Shralla
17th May 2015, 15:56
Yay, let's try to make Deus Ex appeal to people who don't have any reason to like Deus Ex.

Avenging_Teabag
28th May 2015, 07:20
The big question is why isn't Adam already fully leveled? In HR we couldn't use all nifty functions at once because Adam was still recovering. When he came back on duty after six months it took Adam about three days to unlock all functions? From a time standpoint Adam should have all his augs unlocked this time around. It's a gameplay convenience, is all, the same is "why do boxes become transparent when we pick them up"? "Why would a fully trained black ops operative need to arm himself with a crowbar to proceed with his mission"? They *could* come up with an explanation to that I guess, but I don't think they *need to*. "More fun that way" is really all that is necessary. Like Geralt suddenly losing all his fully leveled abilities between games, but retaining some basic stuff. I highly doubt that Adam will start the new game at a total factory zero level either.

68_pie
28th May 2015, 12:35
The better answer would be to have new main character. Preferably a female one.

Shralla
28th May 2015, 22:48
The better answer would be to have new main character. Preferably a female one.

Yes. Unfortunately it seems that Adam Jensen is cemented as the Deus Ex main character for the foreseeable future.

Ugh.

Irate_Iguana
29th May 2015, 21:16
It's a gameplay convenience, is all, the same is "why do boxes become transparent when we pick them up"? "Why would a fully trained black ops operative need to arm himself with a crowbar to proceed with his mission"? They *could* come up with an explanation to that I guess, but I don't think they *need to*. "More fun that way" is really all that is necessary. Like Geralt suddenly losing all his fully leveled abilities between games, but retaining some basic stuff. I highly doubt that Adam will start the new game at a total factory zero level either.

Of course they don't need an explanation. Devs can do whatever they want with a game. Taking care to come up with a believable explanation is to me a sign that they take their world and story seriously, or at the very least tried to make an effort. It would point to story where they at least tried to make a coherent whole.

xaduha3
29th May 2015, 21:50
They *could* come up with an explanation to that I guess, but I don't think they *need to*.

They did it once with The Missing Link. So not doing it for MD will look strange and will raise questions. I bet they'll explain it, AJ was rescued from a 'wreckage' and is once again not 100% operational.

Cyberhuman
16th Jun 2015, 22:16
We know that it's possible to deactivate augmentations; this could've been done for any number of reasons. I hope they provide us with a good explanation.

Shralla
16th Jun 2015, 23:37
So here's the E3 demo walkthrough.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/06/16/deus-ex-gameplay-demo-ign-live-e3-2014?

The only real plus side I see is that the dash augmentation is in first-person. We didn't see any takedowns so who knows what those are like. The battery is a single bar which could go either way. It doesn't appear to regenerate, but again who knows.

But overall it's just more confirmation that the third-person cover is, like in Human Revolution, absolutely integral to the gameplay unless you want to be able to see through walls in addition to already having a radar that tracks people's movements and direction. The gunplay overall seems responsive and satisfying, but did we really expect anything less in that department? They said that there's been a focus on improving the combat in the game, as the combat was perceived as a weak point of Human Revolution while the stealth was apparently seen has perfectly fine. The seemingly random slow motion is just terrible. Whatever it is, it doesn't drain energy. I thought it activated every time you killed somebody and then it didn't happen for a while.

I dunno. It's frustrating because it looks like a fun game overall, I just wish it wasn't a Deus Ex game.

EDIT: And of course I see in the comments section "Veryyyy disappointed that the Icarus dash isnt done in 3rd person. Keeping it in 1st person view makes it look pretty lame"

Ugh.

besyuziki
17th Jun 2015, 00:43
The single coolest thing was JF sporting a Behemoth shirt. I'm happy to see that the world doesn't consist of 50 shades of urine anymore, and looks great for the most part. Direct combat approach looks like it's been improved. New augs look fun, but I have my doubts about the slow motion gimmick. I'm perfectly fine with it if it's a manually activated aug, I hope it's not random or anything.

Looks like third person sticky cover and auto takedowns will be an integral part of gameplay again. Adam loves his blades, so I suppose melee weapons are out of question. The health bar on the HUD pretty much confirms that there won't be a local damage system with head, torso and limbs. I hope there's an option to make the minimap static (i.e. with North always on top).

There's another gameplay video on YouTube with takedowns. And the dreaded high XP bonus for non-lethal takedowns is still there. I don't know what to think about it. On one hand it's the team's vision, a conscious choice, okay we get it, but it'll still encourage a certain playstyle and discourage others, even if the cumulative XP bonus from several non-lethal takedowns will be insignificant in the long run.

Shralla
17th Jun 2015, 01:12
Got a link to that other video? I'm curious to see the takedowns. The XP for combat is troubling in general, as it inherently encourages taking down enemies even while being stealthy.

besyuziki
17th Jun 2015, 01:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viTxuLBDZPE

At about 2.00

xaduha3
17th Jun 2015, 01:56
Yep, once again Adam Jensen is just chatting with someone over the infolink, so much for the 'blank slate'.

ZakKa89
17th Jun 2015, 03:05
Wow the game looks great. Reloading speed on the rifle was really fast. Probably upgraded to the fullest.
Love the minimalist HUD.

We don't know how much XP you get for lethal takedowns. I hope it will be the same or closer to the non-lethal one.
But let's be honest here. Yes, the difference in DEHR was stupid. However, did it really matter much in the end game? If you did all the sidequests in DEHR and explored like any true fan does you had plenty of praxis points to spend to get everything you want. Once I realised this (about 60-70 percent in the game) I went full-lethal on everybody.

Shralla
17th Jun 2015, 03:53
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viTxuLBDZPE

At about 2.00

One of them mentioned something about swimming. I suppose swimming is off the table for MD. It really would just be better if the game were not called Deus Ex.

xaduha3
17th Jun 2015, 04:25
It really would just be better if the game were not called Deus Ex.

This isn't as funny the second time.

Siddhartha_
17th Jun 2015, 04:44
Is there anywhere I can watch the gameplay demo without the useless commentary?

Avenging_Teabag
17th Jun 2015, 09:26
Game looks purdy and fun. AJ's not a blank slate, and that's great as far as I'm concerned. One of my foremost wishes is that they delve into his character more compared to Human Revolution. What we had in HR was nice but not enough.

I wonder if every dog on every corner in Prague will know his infolink frequency as well.

I dunno. It's frustrating because it looks like a fun game overall, I just wish it wasn't a Deus Ex game.

I agree, but probably not for the same reasons. At this point I wish they would just diverge completely from the old games and let the old and the new stand on their own. Or at least make their games into some sort of an alternate timeline, then they could dump the useless parts like the conspiracy BS, the alien experiments (i dread that those are going to be brought up at some point), the inventory tetris and some others, retain whatever they like to retain and add whatever they feel like adding without people raging out at them all the time. Would be better for all involved I think, but doesn't' seem like that's even a remote possibility by this point.

Isumbarus
17th Jun 2015, 11:10
They really force those mechanics. It reminds me mom that wants to feed a baby and baby doesn't want to eat,come on open your mouth.There are some pc players like me would like to stick more to Deus Ex 1 GMDX rather then console DXHR.But what can we do?

ilweran
17th Jun 2015, 11:34
I like the inventory tetris! Grenades should stack though. As should whiskey. Playing the DC (trying to ghost it, might be a problem doing that and saving Malik though) at the moment, having just finished DX (first time letting Paul die and then playing lethally) again. Do I need to spoiler either of those? Doing it just in case...

With the alien experiments, wasn't it left open in the original as to whether they were aliens or just transgenics?

I'm looking forward to MD anyway. Really excited about it as I enjoyed (and am enjoying) HR a lot. Just hope they don't cram in too many references to or characters from DX - I thought they got this about right in HR, really don't want a Star Wars prequels situation (little Boba Fett and his traumatic childhood? Arghh!!)

Shralla
17th Jun 2015, 16:30
. Or at least make their games into some sort of an alternate timeline, then they could dump the useless parts like the conspiracy BS, the alien experiments (i dread that those are going to be brought up at some point), the inventory tetris and some others, retain whatever they like to retain and add whatever they feel like adding without people raging out at them all the time. Would be better for all involved I think, but doesn't' seem like that's even a remote possibility by this point.

So you truly just don't even want a Deus Ex game. Conspiracy "BS," really? The literally the entirety of Deus Ex is about conspiracies and always has been. Those weren't aliens in Deus Ex, you just weren't paying attention, which is probably exactly why you have an issue with it in the first place.

This isn't as funny the second time.

What part of wanting a game that shares almost no similarities to the original to be called something else is supposed to be funny?

Avenging_Teabag
17th Jun 2015, 19:36
So you truly just don't even want a Deus Ex game. I dunno. as far as I, and it seems, the development team are concerned, Human Revolution was a Deus Ex game, and a very good one. Obviously some people disagree, and never the twain shall meet. All i'm saying is divorcing the new games from the old ones entirely would be probably a good solution for everyone. Not that it's gonna happen, but I would be all for that. I'm not picky about names: if I like the game, you can call it whatever the hell you want.

Conspiracy "BS," really? The literally the entirety of Deus Ex is about conspiracies and always has been.
Yeah, doesn't make it not BS

Those weren't aliens in Deus Ex, you just weren't paying attention, which is probably exactly why you have an issue with it in the first place.
Could be, it's been a long while since i played the old games.

Salfurium
17th Jun 2015, 19:59
But that conspiracy "BS" is the very foundation of the Deus Ex Universe. Without it it would just be another Sci-Fi game of the month with superhumans. Discovering how characters relate in this game makes up a big part of the experience. Figuring out who's behind what event makes the story unique and interesting, the game would be quite boring without it.
Also to that BS part: There are very few games/movies/books without bull****. FTL travel, magic, augmentations and soldiers that survive everything without even the slightest physical or psychological scars? That's all BS too.

Irate_Iguana
17th Jun 2015, 22:09
Finally got around to viewing the trailer with Dugas and the two annoying guys rambling over everything. Lets start with the good and work our way to the bad stuff.

I like the lack of visual outline. No nasty orange line around everything. Since they chose not to showcase that in this demo I'm holding out hope that it won't be made a big part of MD. Fortunately it could be turned off in HR, but better support for stuff like that is always appreciated.

Being able to bash open a lock is good. It gives you more options when dealing with obstacles.

The objective marker is unfortunate, but industry standard these days.

Choosing where you can roll to is good. A better movement system was needed. A good movement system means levels van be built more intelligently and naturally. It can make for more interesting level design.

The vision aug is a nice throwback to an earlier trailer for HR. Finally we can see the weapon equipped on a char.

I'm liking the more involved mod system for your weapons. Choosing ammo is good. Allows for more approaches with a weapon and extends their utility. Changing the fire mode does the same thing. The name of the scope and lasers and silencers makes it seem like there are more upgrades for a single slot. I like that and I'm hoping that the different items actually make a difference in gameplay. The top image was a promo one from a while back so I;m pleased to see all this made it into the demo.

I haven't seen the inventory. I'm wondering if that is even in the game. Between this menu and the quick menu we see in the demo are they even planning on including it?

And here we come to them making the exact same mistake as in HR. Coupling the XP system to fights. Not just that, but rewarding stealth more. Depending on how you shoot them you're again behind the curve. So once again they are "forcing" you into a certain playstyle. You can try and make combat more fun, but if it isn't rewarding people will seldom choose it.

FrankCSIS
18th Jun 2015, 01:21
I see the combat approach is an entirely different beast, completely removed from HR. Pinky is not going to like this, me thinks!

I can see why they've opted to depart from realistic firefights to engage a more gameish rendition, but IMO it makes it ever slightly more generic. The change of pace, armor and the slow-mo also gives out a cover-shooter vibe I could do without. I really hope the levels are not too designed around it or affected by it. As much fun as Max Payne 3 might have been, the level design was laboriously massacred by the atrocious cover-shooter addition.

As for stealth being more rewarding, while I see what you'Re saying from an XP standpoint, ressources being tied to a non-lethal takedown made the stealth experience far more annoying than the loss of XPs for those who decided to shoot. At least weapons and guns were bloody everywhere to be found, while we had to worry about some damn chocolate bars to take someone down from behind.

Speaking of XP, this might be heresy but at this point I'm questioning why augments are even tied to such a system anymore. Considering that in HR, getting all the augs I wanted was only a question of "when", and not "if", why not simply make augment kits as quest items or part of story progression? Personally I would rather reintroduce mutually exclusive slots, to truly respect the idea of choice and consequences in character progression, and get rid of XPs. What's the point of XPs, other than pretending to offer an old-school mechanic in a game absolutely not built around skills? The Arkham series had Batman getting his tech all the way throughout the story, and it worked rather well. Couple this with choices and decisions to make, and in the context of an extra-light RPG it would feel a lot more at home.

APostLife
18th Jun 2015, 01:44
But that conspiracy "BS" is the very foundation of the Deus Ex Universe. Without it it would just be another Sci-Fi game of the month with superhumans.

Couldn't agree more.

ZakKa89
18th Jun 2015, 02:03
Speaking of XP, this might be heresy but at this point I'm questioning why augments are even tied to such a system anymore. Considering that in HR, getting all the augs I wanted was only a question of "when", and not "if", why not simply make augment kits as quest items or part of story progression? Personally I would rather reintroduce mutually exclusive slots, to truly respect the idea of choice and consequences in character progression, and get rid of XPs. What's the point of XPs, other than pretending to offer an old-school mechanic in a game absolutely not built around skills? The Arkham series had Batman getting his tech all the way throughout the story, and it worked rather well. Couple this with choices and decisions to make, and in the context of an extra-light RPG it would feel a lot more at home.

Or reintroduce skills of course.

FrankCSIS
18th Jun 2015, 02:07
Of course.

Can you name me two action-rpg franchises in recent history that have added RPG features instead of removing them as the series progressed though?

I'd like to see skills back, but I'm not holding my breath. If it's going down the usual road, I'd remove XP and deal with augment progression in the aforementioned way. Anyway, mutually exclusive slots have a lot more impact than an XP currency system which only delays the stuff you'll get.

AdrianShephard
18th Jun 2015, 02:53
Yep, once again Adam Jensen is just chatting with someone over the infolink, so much for the 'blank slate'.

I absolutely hate the infolink conversations. Such a small yet crucial detail.

Also, I swear the gameplay I just saw was Crysis with third person cover. I especially like the on-the-go weapon customization, the "nano" jargon thrown about to make things seem more techy, and the new armor mode; all that's missing is Jensen whispering "maximum armor" every time he activates it (waiting for the PC mod).

Avenging_Teabag
18th Jun 2015, 07:40
And here we come to them making the exact same mistake as in HR. Coupling the XP system to fights. Not just that, but rewarding stealth more.
How do you figure they are going to reward stealth more? Could you explain, maybe I'm not seeing something?

They were talking explicitly about making combat more viable, but afair, only in the sense of having Adam be more bullet resistant. I don't remember them talking about the xp rewards at all.

But that conspiracy "BS" is the very foundation of the Deus Ex Universe. Without it it would just be another Sci-Fi game of the month with superhumans. And I would be okay with that. Piling conspiracies on top of one another is not the only way to tell a compelling story, and anyway, the setting was not what made Deus Ex great for me.

Punished_Snack
18th Jun 2015, 07:50
I haven't seen the inventory. I'm wondering if that is even in the game. Between this menu and the quick menu we see in the demo are they even planning on including it?

Just asked the director:
http://i.imgur.com/QIRRyVI.jpg

zwanzig_zwoelf
18th Jun 2015, 12:03
REMOVE HANZERS remove hanzers
you are worst people. you are the hanzer criminal you are the hanzer smell. return to ghetto. to our ghetto cousins you may come our contry. you may live in the zoo….ahahahaha ,hanzers we will never forgeve you. hahahaha **** but **** ******* hanzer stink..hanzer genocide best day of my life. take a load of dead hanzers..ahahahahahHANZERS WE WILL GET YOU!! do not forget human revolution .UNATCO we kill the manderley , UNATCO return to your precious hanzers….hahahahaha idiot agent and hanzer smell so bad..wow i can smell it. REMOVE HANZERS FROM THE PREMISES. you will get caught. UNATCO+NSF+Silouette+Jensen=kill hanzers…you will human revolution/ tupac alive in detroit, tupac making album of detroit . fast rap tupac detroit. we are rich and have gold now hahahaha ha because of tupac… you are ppoor stink hanzer… you live in a hovel hahahaha, you live in a yurt
tupac alive numbr one #1 in detroit ….**** the UNATCO ,..****k ashol hanzers no good i spit in the mouth eye of ur augs and ghetto. 2pac aliv and real strong wizard kill all the hanzer farm aminal with rap magic now we the ppl rule .ape of the zoo presidant David Sarif fukc the great satan and lay egg this egg hatch and hanzer wa;s born. stupid baby form the eggn give bak our clay we will crush u lik a skull of pig. AMERICA greattst countrey
cHPabfSlnp8

68_pie
18th Jun 2015, 13:18
How do you figure they are going to reward stealth more? Could you explain, maybe I'm not seeing something?

Takedowns give more XP than shooting someone. Most takedowns occur due to stealth.

Avenging_Teabag
18th Jun 2015, 16:20
^ Ah yes, indeed, stupid of me to miss that. That is... concerning.

Irate_Iguana
18th Jun 2015, 20:55
I can see why they've opted to depart from realistic firefights to engage a more gameish rendition, but IMO it makes it ever slightly more generic. The change of pace, armor and the slow-mo also gives out a cover-shooter vibe I could do without. I really hope the levels are not too designed around it or affected by it. As much fun as Max Payne 3 might have been, the level design was laboriously massacred by the atrocious cover-shooter addition.

Combat in HR wasn't realistic. It was clunky and slow. With the way HR was designed and the augs were built there was no way that they were going to pull off realistic combat. Or even an attempt at designing semi-realistic combat. I had thought that they might have at least gotten the cover-shooter combat correct, but proper popping of moles was made impossible by poor pop-up-and-shoot gameplay.

It seems they have chosen to make some improvements to the cover-shooter side of things and try to fix that for MD. From the looks of the trailer they aren't there yet. In fact, combat looks to be much of the same, with some tiny changes made. I'm still not seeing a fluency of motion, both in and out of cover, and the switch to aimed fire (and movement in aimed fire) still looks incredibly stilted. Be prepared for much more architecture with conveniently placed waist-high barriers.

HR and MD aren't designed for combat trying to be realistic. Thanks to the augs and maps they are better suited to a more gamey type of combat. To be honest, I'd prefer it if they ripped off Dishonored's combat more. They already have Blink. Make movement more fluid. Give us control over a trained SWAT officer and professional Merc. There aren't any skills to invest in so don't hold back in making Jensen move better.

ressources being tied to a non-lethal takedown made the stealth experience far more annoying than the loss of XPs for those who decided to shoot. At least weapons and guns were bloody everywhere to be found, while we had to worry about some damn chocolate bars to take someone down from behind.

True. At least for the first level and most of the first time in Detroit. Guns definitely had the edge there in easy of use. Especially because you got the silenced and armor piercing 10mm after the tutorial mission. However it isn't long after that you generally have more than enough chocolate and the augs to make recharging faster.

They had to restrict takedowns in HR because they were ridiculously powerful. They chose the energy system. They should have gone for making them real-time instead of invulnerable cutscenes. Now couple that with better enemy encounter design and you've got a system that will only be broken if you've upgraded most augs. Have AI with a proper field of view. Communicating patrols that can notice missing comrades. Better placed guards. Enemies that try to keep their distance. Blind firing at your last know position and suspected positions. Tactically tossing grenades. It wouldn't fix everything, but it might make sneaking and choking an entire map more a question of skill and less of patience. I mean, it works for Hitman.

Speaking of XP, this might be heresy but at this point I'm questioning why augments are even tied to such a system anymore. Considering that in HR, getting all the augs I wanted was only a question of "when", and not "if", why not simply make augment kits as quest items or part of story progression? Personally I would rather reintroduce mutually exclusive slots, to truly respect the idea of choice and consequences in character progression, and get rid of XPs.

Completely agreed. It is meaningless. Just give out Praxis points at predetermined points and make the player choose between various augs. Players would get a dose of C&C and the developers can plan encounters better since they would have a better understanding of what kind of augs a player might have at any point in the game.

Just asked the director:
http://i.imgur.com/QIRRyVI.jpg

Thanks for that. Pretty pleased that the inventory remains. I was pleasantly surprised by the relatively restrictive nature of it in HR. At least more than I thought a triple A game would make it.

^ Ah yes, indeed, stupid of me to miss that. That is... concerning.

That is part of what made people do stupid **** like hack a console even if they had the password and takedown everyone on a map even though you could sneak past them. Give XP for objectives completed not for the way you play.

FrankCSIS
19th Jun 2015, 00:23
Combat in HR wasn't realistic.

Just to be clear, my reptilian friend, I agree with this, as well as everything else in your post. But when I say somewhat realistic firefights (and not realistic combat mechanics), I mean it in the most literal sense. A limited amount of enemies with guns shooting at you, and basically almost a one-hit-you're-dead kind of system. HR somewhat offered this. Of course it was most definitely not Operation Flashpoint, or whatever simulation-based game one could bring up, but you get the point. This new game is no where near more realistic, because no one can possibly deal with the kind of firefight displayed in the showcased demo. Hence why I said they are largely moving towards a much more gamey experience, and I'm not neceseraily saying this in a negative light.

The reason I brought it up is because, you will recall, when the Autoregen health issue came up in those forums, René and the dev who was speaking with us at the time (didn't last long), back in '09 or something, specifically discussed in details how and why they didn't want fast-paced, forgiving, shooting sequences. This was way, way before the game was completed. It was a design choice for HR. It's important, I feel, to bring it up, in light of what Mr Dugas now says about action, and how they always felt it needed to be beefed up, because "Deus Ex is not about stealth or action, it's about how you want to play it". I find it interesting to hear this now. I have no real opinion one way or another on which action style is more appropriate, except that it seems this new action style makes it slightly more generic.

vallux
19th Jun 2015, 07:00
why they didn't want fast-paced, forgiving, shooting sequences. This was way, way before the game was completed. It was a design choice for HR. It's important, I feel, to bring it up, in light of what Mr Dugas now says about action, and how they always felt it needed to be beefed up, because "Deus Ex is not about stealth or action, it's about how you want to play it". I find it interesting to hear this now. I have no real opinion one way or another on which action style is more appropriate, except that it seems this new action style makes it slightly more generic.

I dunno. Seems like they thought it okay for Human Revolution but got feedback and changed it. I had no problem with it but it did seem a little clunky. And the fights will probably still be hard, since demos I've seen so far have had cheats on. Granted the Titan shield and time slowing augments do seem to make the combat a bit more boombastic and fast paced.

Irate_Iguana
19th Jun 2015, 18:15
Just to be clear, my reptilian friend, I agree with this, as well as everything else in your post. But when I say somewhat realistic firefights (and not realistic combat mechanics), I mean it in the most literal sense. A limited amount of enemies with guns shooting at you, and basically almost a one-hit-you're-dead kind of system. HR somewhat offered this. Of course it was most definitely not Operation Flashpoint, or whatever simulation-based game one could bring up, but you get the point. This new game is no where near more realistic, because no one can possibly deal with the kind of firefight displayed in the showcased demo. Hence why I said they are largely moving towards a much more gamey experience, and I'm not neceseraily saying this in a negative light.

Oh, I was totally off the mark for that one. I agree with you that the combat does look much more gamey than before. I don't know how much of that is the result of it being a demo with a suped-up char or how much of it is the new philosophy.

I dunno. Seems like they thought it okay for Human Revolution but got feedback and changed it. I had no problem with it but it did seem a little clunky. And the fights will probably still be hard, since demos I've seen so far have had cheats on. Granted the Titan shield and time slowing augments do seem to make the combat a bit more boombastic and fast paced.

Yep. Changed based on feedback and marketing research seems to be the most likely explanation for it.

I'm not holding my breath that the game will be anymore difficult than HR. There appear to be a ton of new and game-breaking augs in MD. Even without augs HR was depressingly easy, clunky combat notwithstanding. Besides, most modern games are easy on the highest difficulty level.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Jul 2015, 22:24
latest article doing the rounds, fyi.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided won't make players feel like they have to choose stealth (http://www.pcgamesn.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided/deus-ex-mankind-divided-wont-make-players-feel-like-they-have-to-choose-stealth)

“Having everything behind us is a big, big buff,” executive producer Stéphane Roy told PCGamesN. “Because we know that we need more of this and less of that.”

There’ll be no fewer opportunities for stealth - but there’ll be more and better support for open combat.

FrankCSIS
8th Jul 2015, 23:07
While I was harsh on the trailer's pathetic level of plastic violence (and apparently wasn't alone, enough so that they would immediately comment on this in a following interview), I have no problem of course with more gun-blazing options, providing it works. I am, however, increasingly curious about the incessant flow of PR insisting on this. For a game which was a surprise success by all accounts, it spends a good deal of time apologising for its own identity. I don't recall seeing an immediate sequel trying so hard to distance itself from its predecessor, at least in terms of gameplay.

The message I read is, you get the same cool universe, but now you finally get to roam about freeballin your cannon like you're the Guns of Navarone. Please excuse our previous lapse in judgement.

Irate_Iguana
9th Jul 2015, 19:04
I don't recall seeing an immediate sequel trying so hard to distance itself from its predecessor, at least in terms of gameplay.

Splinter Cell did it when they went to the balls-out action style of stealth.

The message I read is, you get the same cool universe, but now you finally get to roam about freeballin your cannon like you're the Guns of Navarone. Please excuse our previous lapse in judgement.

It reads as a failure of marketing. Instead of praising the fact that the gunplay now stands on equal footing with the stealth (still to be determined and both need serious work, but let's not rush ahead) they are pretending that stealth was the only way to play HR. They are giving interviews that basically say that HR was unplayable without stealth and that you won't have to suffer through that boring crap in MD.

Even if we disregard the odd way of marketing this improvement, it still manages to miss the point. If you were encouraged to play stealth it was not just because the gunplay was atrocious, but because stealth gave you much more XP points. In the demo it STILL gives more XP points. Remove this silly mechanic and there is less pressure to play a certain way.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Jul 2015, 14:59
Part 2 of the DX15 documentary is up! Warren Spector and Sheldon Pacotti talk Invisible War.

Deus Ex: Remembering Invisble War (http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/07/09/deus-ex-remembering-invisible-war-dx15-part-2-ign-exclusive)

Great interview and looking forward to the next installment.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Jul 2015, 17:59
Latest interview doing the rounds:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Shows Technology at Its Peak, Humanity at its Worst (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/deus-ex-mankind-divided-shows-technology-at-its-pe/1100-6428930)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was about the world changing. Whether those changes were for the better or the worse was up to players; in the last moments of the game, protagonist Adam Jensen--a man made half-machine after a fatal encounter that should have killed him--was handed power over humanity's fate. Jensen's final choice, made by the player, could either warn humanity of augmentation's dangers moving forward or offer them a partial version of the truth. Alternatively, Jensen could place blame in such a way that augmentation and technological resource will flourish as humanity turns on its opponents in anger.

But there was one more ending. By doing nothing--choosing none of the above--Jensen would activate the self-destruction of Panchaea, the island home of the world's most ambitious geo-engineering projects. By destroying Panchaea and everyone on it at the time, Jensen makes a statement that it isn't up to one person or group to decide the world's fate; it's humanity's own choice to make.

It is this final choice that developer Eidos Montreal has chosen to use as the base for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the sequel to Human Revolution. But in making this one ending canon, some fans of the series say it ruins the poignancy of the choices they made in Human Revolution. But according to Deus Ex executive art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletete, the path chosen for Mankind Divided includes elements of all possible endings. In wrecking Panchaea, you do many things--expose the truth, but not all of it, and allow humanity a chance to decipher the meaning of these things for themselves.

__

Edit: Another article:

Deus Ex would be “perfect” for virtual reality: Mankind Divided executive game director (http://factor-tech.com/gaming/18789-deus-ex-would-be-perfect-for-virtual-reality-mankind-divided-executive-game-director/)

The transhumanist video game franchise Deus Ex would be “perfect” for a sequel made for virtual reality, according to Jean-François Dugas, executive game director of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the upcoming Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Dugas, who made the comments in an interview with Factor featured in the newly released gaming issue, said that the level of detail put into each Deus Ex game would make the franchise well-suited for a transition to VR.

_

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided’s Jean-François Dugas on the series, augmentations and the future of gaming (http://factor-tech.com/feature/deus-ex-mankind-divideds-jean-francois-dugas-on-the-series-augmentations-and-the-future-of-gaming/)

The Deus Ex series is a rare thing in gaming. Combining choice-based gameplay with strong transhumanist themes, Eidos Montreal’s epic series lets us explore a near-future Earth where augmentations are common and morality is fluid. Perhaps more importantly, it’s also incredibly fun to play, and with the last installment, Human Revolution, proving to be such a hit, we’re excited to find out what next year’s release, Mankind Divided, has to offer.

We caught up with executive game director Jean-François Dugas to find out more about what we can expect, his thoughts on the issues the series raises and how he envisions gaming to progress in the future. A cautionary note, though: there are some light spoilers for Human Revolution ahead...

Irate_Iguana
21st Jul 2015, 14:36
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided’s Jean-François Dugas on the series, augmentations and the future of gaming (http://factor-tech.com/feature/deus-ex-mankind-divideds-jean-francois-dugas-on-the-series-augmentations-and-the-future-of-gaming/)

We tackled Human Revolution as a kind of reboot, a re-imagining of the world and for me I wanted to focus it more on us as human beings instead of just conspiracies about if we really went to the Moon or not. We still have that kind of stuff in the games, but that’s not what interests me about them!

That's unfortunate. The conspiracy stuff not only gives it that x-files feel that I liked about DX, it's also a great tool to explore human beings. Conspiracy theories speak about our fears and hopes. You can easily hammer on about the human condition of you put it in another framework.

So yes, it’s an analogy to racism; it’s an analogy to segregation; it’s an analogy to people judging easily without having all the facts at hand and whatnot. There’s an analogy with the world we see in the 21st century, unfortunately.

Heavy-handedness confirmed!

Human Revolution was like this big ride, with those moral issues, those ethical questions that were putting the people and the players in the middle of that.

Wait, did I get the same HR as the rest of you? Did EM ship a different HR than we actually got?

We’re basically building the game on paper even before we build the 3D maps or all the features, and we have the story – the high-level story is already laid out – and with the blueprint we’re telling the story bit-by-bit through the gameplay, through the narrative. We’re going, ‘ok Adam Jenson is now going to have to discover this and he’s going to go there’, so what if the player decides to do this, or do that?

We should leave that choice to the player and now we understand and we explore how all those choices would affect the continuation of the adventure and we all build it up on paper and we know the consequences, we know where it links to, so when it comes to write the actual dialogue, the actual missions, to build the actual mission scripting, we know where we’re going.

We’re basically have at least 80% or 85% of the puzzle figured out in advance so when we build it we’re more dealing with production issues instead of ‘oh my god, what we built doesn’t make sense’, because we made it make sense on paper before building it.

Finally someone grasped the basics of project management. I hope to see a nice and coherent game with sensible divergent paths coming from this. At least a game with a coherent story.

Isumbarus
21st Jul 2015, 16:34
Put those maps, blueprints ,schematics into the game.

Shralla
21st Jul 2015, 17:16
"The transhumanist video game franchise Deus Ex..."

I'm sorry, what? It's a cyberpunk video game franchise. There is no such thing as a "transhumanist video game franchise" and the fact that they are even calling it that shows how poorly done HR's story was.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Jul 2015, 20:11
There is no such thing as a "transhumanist video game franchise"...

There isn't? :eek:
I've seen this description used before for other cyberpunk/transhumanist games and never considered the term to be incorrect.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Jul 2015, 21:30
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Not Support Multiplayer (http://www.ibtimes.co.in/deus-ex-mankind-divided-will-not-support-multiplayer-640109)

Almost every game released these days comes with more focus on the multiplayer aspect of it than the single player version. So it's kind of an odd-ball situation for some when developers announce they won't be supporting multiplayer for a certain title. Now it seems similar will be the deal with the upcoming Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Avenging_Teabag
23rd Jul 2015, 15:10
I'd actually very much like to see some kind of a multiplayer mode for a Deus Ex game, but their reasons for not including it are 100% valid, so no big deal.

Irate_Iguana
23rd Jul 2015, 15:53
I honestly don't understand why everyone wants to add multiplayer to everything.

Avenging_Teabag
23rd Jul 2015, 18:34
I honestly don't understand why everyone wants to add multiplayer to everything.

Because it's an easy way to extend a game's life (= make more money), and great many people actually enjoy it. That would be my guess.

0warfighter0
23rd Jul 2015, 22:16
Deus ex is a game series all about performing actions in the world and those actions being noticed by that world, right?

That's why, wouldn't it be awesome if dialog differs depending on the players actions in Human Revolution?
Basically: using the save game. (Kind of like Mass effect I suppose)

For example, depending on the fact that you researched about your history or not. If Jensen told others about it (like for example Pritchard), maybe they say other things to Jensen which they normally wouldn't.

Maybe you're already known as a pacifist? Or a killing machine?

Just a thought.
It wouldn't be that heavy to implement and it would make the world react to the players actions more
which is what Deus ex is all about. (for a big part at least)

Shralla
23rd Jul 2015, 22:34
There isn't? :eek:
I've seen this description used before for other cyberpunk/transhumanist games and never considered the term to be incorrect.

Transhumanism is not a genre. Cyberpunk is a genre. Transhumanism is sometimes an aspect of that genre.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jul 2015, 23:03
I realise Cyperpunk is the genre and transhumanism is the philosophy. I was just saying that I've seen the term used before.... be it right or wrong.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Jul 2015, 10:15
You can defeat bosses in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided by talking to them (http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/25/deus-ex-mankind-divided-bosses-pc-ps4-xbox-one/)

Speaking in the latest issue of OXM, via GamesRadar, gameplay director Patrick Fortier said bosses in Mankind Divided are more balanced this time out, and conversations can provided players with “a different means of dealing” with the situation.

“For Human Revolution, because of the way we designed it, [bosses] always died in the cutscenes,” added narrative director Mary DeMarle. “You had no choice. But we rectified that in the Missing Link DLC, and we’ve rectified it in this game.”

FrankCSIS
26th Jul 2015, 19:32
You talk them to death with the apartheid metaphor.

Buuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

How's your Sunday going? ;)

Shralla
27th Jul 2015, 14:51
I love how they include things that were absolutely paramount to the design of the original Deus Ex, and then "announce" it and act like it's some big deal that they could actually be bothered to include it this time around.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Aug 2015, 19:27
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is flying over to Germany for Gamescom!

Here’s a breakdown of our activities this week:

For those of you who will be going to Gamescom, come visit us at Square Enix’s booth. You’ll be able to see a presentation of our game, and receive a mini Adam figurine!

Online, join us on Friday August 7th at 12:00 EST on Twitch for a new episode of DXTV, in which we’ll share some new information on Mankind Divided – directly from our dev team. It will be followed by the the first public streaming of our panel “The Art and Story of Mankind Divided”, presented at San Diego Comic-Con a couple weeks ago.

We will also be doing an AMA on the official Deus Ex subreddit this Friday, with Patrick Fortier (Gameplay Director) and Mary DeMarle (Executive Narrative Director). Come ask your questions to our team!

Now excuse me, I need to go lie down before I faint. Aaahhh, excitement!

DanTheGamer11
6th Aug 2015, 20:01
Would it be too much to expect the ability to rend limbs from people like the trailer? At least for augmented people?
Might be an alternative to a pacifist of just knocking everybody out. Does seem a bit complicated though to implement.

*Edit* For some reason I am able to access this post and account settings even though I am logged out :/

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Aug 2015, 20:46
Perhaps Eidos choc-chip cookies are keeping you logged in? :D :naughty:

__

Latest news:

Join us on Twitch for a new episode of DXTV! (https://twitter.com/DeusEx/status/629654207931543552)

Gamescom Episode - Friday, August 7th

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Aug 2015, 13:26
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Action / Stealth Gameplay Demo - IGN Live: Gamescom 2015 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyvl-dp4kjE)

__

extra:

Eurogamer interview with Gameplay director Patrick Fortier (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-10-clearing-confusion-about-boss-battles-in-deus-ex-mankind-divided). The article is called: "Clearing confusion about boss battles in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided".

Mattbraun
11th Aug 2015, 15:47
I might have asked this question before, so excuse me if this is a repeat. But does anyone have any idea if I'll be able to play Deus Ex Mankind Divided with a mouse and keyboard on the PS4?

FrankCSIS
13th Aug 2015, 04:11
That interview is quite long, and inexplicably confusing. Is the title meant as a joke? :p

Irate_Iguana
13th Aug 2015, 18:14
That interview is quite long, and inexplicably confusing. Is the title meant as a joke? :p

Honestly, I don't know. I get the feeling that some of the staff at EM really should be speaking in French. They come across as if struggling for words in English.

I did like the interview. The interviewer asked actual questions pertaining to the subject. He asked for clarification when the answer didn't suit him. He didn't fawn over every answer. It was a proper interview and not apologetic fanwank disguised as an interview.

FrankCSIS
13th Aug 2015, 18:45
To be clear, the interview is fine, it's really the answers I didn't understand.

I mean, I'm a lot more confused now than I was before reading this!

Irate_Iguana
13th Aug 2015, 19:35
To be clear, the interview is fine, it's really the answers I didn't understand.

I got that. That's why I said some of the EM staff really should be speaking in French. When you see or read an interview with them you get the idea that you're watching someone do a real time translation of a coherent story that somehow ends up sounding like as a botched google translate.

68_pie
13th Aug 2015, 21:47

Yeah, this pretty much.

My reading of it:

- Bosses can't be avoided.

- "Boss" bosses have to be defeated and can't be taken down by conversation as opposed to "conversation battle*" bosses.

- EM don't understand what "ghostable" means.

+ Bosses can be taken down non-lethally

+ There might not be boss fights (?)

So confused.

*I still think the conversation battles are bull**** btw.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Aug 2015, 15:02
DX:MD Bosses Can't Be Defeated Through Dialogue (http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/08/12/deus-ex-mankind-divided-bosses-cant-be-defeated-through-dialogue)

Developer, Eidos Montreal, has spoken out to clarify some confusion surrounding the boss encounters in its upcoming stealth-action game.

Irate_Iguana
14th Aug 2015, 17:00
*I still think the conversation battles are bull**** btw.

I liked the idea in HR, but the execution of them sucks.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Aug 2015, 11:59
Let's Play Deus Ex: Human Revolution with Jean-François Dugas and Jonathan Jacques-Belletête (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iae1CgkSpng)

In celebration of the Deus Ex franchise's 15th anniversary, Jean- François Dugas (Executive Game Director) and Jonathan Jacques-Belletête (Executive Art Director), take a trip down memory lane while playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Aug 2015, 11:36
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Interview with Eidos Montreal’s Steve Szczepkowski (http://powerupgaming.co.uk/2015/08/25/deus-ex-mankind-divided-interview-with-eidos-montreal/)

With long-running series Deus Ex’s latest instalment, Mankind Divided, slated for next year and plenty of information already circulating the series of tubes that is the internet, Power Up Gaming was recently given the opportunity to sit down with the creative minds behind the sci-fi franchise, Eidos Montreal. After getting hands on with a demo build of the game, we had the privilege to speak with the studio’s executive audio director, Steve Szczepkowski, about enhanced audio and aesthetics, player choice and even a hypothetical pub encounter with Metal Gear Solid’s Snake.

It was also our pleasure to interview Steve alongside Mateja Simovic, editor of fellow gaming and entertainment website Capsule Computers. So, here’s to hoping some of your eager questions were answered in this Power Up Gaming two-on-one developer interview.

Irate_Iguana
26th Aug 2015, 17:20
We’re going to have more marketing campaigns

I figured they'd do the same cycle as last time. Bit of info, round of suspiciously similar interviews, bit of info, round of suspiciously similar interviews. Rinse and repeat.

I always knew I wanted a very insect-like, almost wasp tone. I wanted something that kind of made the hairs on your neck stand up when it came near you

Vuvuzela's confirmed for MD!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Aug 2015, 00:03
I hope we see more viral-marketing. :cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Aug 2015, 21:40
The Design And Politics Of Deus Ex Mankind Divided (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/28/deus-ex-mankind-divided-politics/)
by Graham Smith / RPS

At Gamescom 2015, I had the opportunity to talk to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided gameplay director Patrick Fortier. We talked about feeling a sense of ownership over Deus Ex at last, expanding the language of its level design beyond vents, and the politics of a “mechanical apartheid.” Before I asked him about the game’s ceilings..

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Aug 2015, 15:34
Deus Ex could have been a totally different game (http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/deus-ex-could-have-been-a-totally-different-game#rJXwJlKmsGGcC9zJ.16)

Joe Martin explores the evolution of Deus Ex from a game called Troubleshooter, after discovering its original pitch.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Sep 2015, 10:46
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Director On Reinventing the Series and a New Gameplay Mode (http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/features/deus-ex-mankind-divided-director-on-reinventing-the-series-and-a-new-gameplay-mode-734669)

At Gamescom 2015, we had the opportunity to speak to Patrick Fortier, Gameplay Director for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, to find out what goes into making a game this complex and open-ended. Here's what he told us...

Shralla
1st Sep 2015, 22:08
"this complex and open-ended"

These articles are hilarious. How complex and open-ended would that be? Half as much so as the original?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Sep 2015, 22:27
Deus Ex's Gameplay Director on Managing Complexity and Player Choice (http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/features/deus-exs-gameplay-director-on-managing-complexity-and-player-choice-735129)

The first part of our interview with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's Gameplay Director Patrick Fortier focussed on choices, consequences, and overarching narrative. The second part of the interview, which took place at Gamescom 2015, is all about the game's level design, perks, and the timeline of the Deus Ex Universe. Here's what you need to know...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Sep 2015, 09:07
Deus Ex devs want Human Revolution Xbox One backwards compatibility (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/deus-ex-devs-want-human-evolution-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-1518185)

Xbox One users may be able to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution on Microsoft's console prior to the release of sequel Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in 2016. The revelation that Eidos Montreal is "working to make it happen" was made on the game's official Twitter account in response to a fan's query.

The developers said they are "hoping to have good news soon". The game is not yet part of Xbox One's backwards compatibility initiative but at E3 when Xbox boss Phil Spencer made the announcement, he said all that was needed to start the process was the consent of a game's developers and publishers.

Irate_Iguana
4th Sep 2015, 18:08
Deus Ex's Gameplay Director on Managing Complexity and Player Choice (http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/features/deus-exs-gameplay-director-on-managing-complexity-and-player-choice-735129)

"We don't want players to have a fully upgraded tree by the time they finish the game. This takes away the idea of choice and consequence."

They tried that last time and failed. They said players wouldn't be able to get all augmentations. By the end of the game you could. You'd be able to max out the useful augs long before that.

Not that it mattered because there wasn't any real C&C or even build permanence.

"You're going to get 60 to 70 percent of the augmentations depending on how you play and if you do side quests and things like that.

So, most likely the average munchkin, or power gamer, or whatever will be able to max damn near everything. Add in the fact that a good third to half of all augs will be either useless or redundant and you'll again be pretty much set for life around the mid-game mark.

Individually we try to balance things like remote hacking, it's quite powerful because it does things that you usually have to do at a security terminal," he added. "The flip side of it is that it's not permanent, it's a limited effect. Whereas if you turn off a camera from a security terminal or if you turn a robot into friendly fire that would permanent. If you do it with remote hack that only opens up a window of opportunity but, you'd have to do it again if you want to repeat it."

Damn. The remote hack is back to being overpowered. I wonder if you get XP for repeatedly remote hacking. Or, in the event that XP is rewarded one-time only, if you get XP from remote hacking and then hacking the security terminal.

This game sounds more and more like TML part 2. An expansion of HR with some good ideas but with the same flawed base.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Sep 2015, 23:00
Latest tweet:

Deus Ex ‏@DeusEx 3 hours ago
Meet @RebekahMarine, bionic model. http://mashable.com/2015/09/01/bionic-arm-modeling …

Ambassador for Touch Bionics & Lucky Fin Project.
Model with bionic arm will walk at New York Fashion Week

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Oct 2015, 10:10
How Combat In 'Deus Ex: Mankind Divided' Is Evolving (http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddkenreck/2015/09/30/how-deus-ex-mankind-divideds-combat-is-evolving/)

Executive game director Jean-Francois Dugas speaks with Forbes contributor Todd Kenreck about how video game developer Eidos Montreal is improving combat in Deus: Ex Mankind Divided, while keeping it as adaptive, fun and as stealth as it’s ever been...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Oct 2015, 09:22
Latest tweets:

Aimee Mullins: athlete, actress, activist. Check out her TED Talk on her "12 pairs of legs". http://www.ted.com/talks/aimee_mullins_prosthetic_aesthetics …

__

A few pictures from #Igromir - we even found Ivan. Thanks to our Russian fans for coming to see us!

#Can't Kill Progress (https://twitter.com/hashtag/CantKillProgress?src=hash)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Oct 2015, 22:19
Latest tweet from Elias:

I'll be at @NY_Comic_Con this weekend.
Panel Friday at 7:30. Be there or be some sort of shape with sides.

October 8-11, 2015. The 10th Edition of New York Comic Con.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Oct 2015, 17:13
Deus Ex – 15th Anniversary Animated Trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOcTxxyJJlw)

Gaming’s perpetual window to the future, the Deus Ex franchise, has long been regarded as one of the most innovative series ever created. From JC Denton to Adam Jensen, we’re looking back at 15 years of Deus Ex with a unique animated trailer, recreating some of the most iconic scenes from the series.

Deus Ex – 15th Anniversary Documentary (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEz2rOlHzK8&feature=youtu.be[B)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Oct 2015, 14:18
Exploring Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's massive new cyberpunk world (http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/8/9453553/deus-ex-mankind-divided-hands-on-preview-interview)

We go hands-on and find a sequel that’s deeper and darker...

Edit. Sharing here:

Here's a hands-on from Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/article/deus-ex-mankind-divided-ps4-hands-on-meaningful-choice-isn-t-always-a-story

Irate_Iguana
9th Oct 2015, 17:17
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided doesn't have a "choose your ending" finale, but it is decided in the last level. (http://www.pcgamesn.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided/deus-ex-mankind-divided-doesnt-have-a-choose-your-ending-finale-but-it-is-decided-in-the-last-level)

That's kind of disappointing. Back in the beginning they said that choices throughout the game will shape the ending. Now they're backpedaling and saying that choices throughout the game might changes the circumstances of the choices in the last level, but everything will be decided there.

Shralla
10th Oct 2015, 22:55
If it's decided in the last level, that's absolutely a "choose your ending" finale. Even if it isn't literally two minutes from the end of the game, it's still the same principle.

That said, I'm not sure I hate that decision. The original Deus Ex was careful with how it led you up to the final choice, giving you reasons that you might choose any of them, and giving you a solid reason that the choice did wait until the end of the game. Given the nature of the phrase "deus ex machina," I think it fits with the theme of the game.

But goddamn, every single ending in HR was terrible.

Helix935
11th Oct 2015, 04:27
If it's decided in the last level, that's absolutely a "choose your ending" finale. Even if it isn't literally two minutes from the end of the game, it's still the same principle.

That said, I'm not sure I hate that decision. The original Deus Ex was careful with how it led you up to the final choice, giving you reasons that you might choose any of them, and giving you a solid reason that the choice did wait until the end of the game. Given the nature of the phrase "deus ex machina," I think it fits with the theme of the game.

i didn't think the endings were terrible but all they did was back into a corner for each instead having truly solid reasoning behind so i se what you mean

Irate_Iguana
11th Oct 2015, 09:52
The original Deus Ex was careful with how it led you up to the final choice, giving you reasons that you might choose any of them, and giving you a solid reason that the choice did wait until the end of the game.

That's why I'm kind of disappointed. I'd loved to have seen them expand on that. You don't need, or even want really, choices from the very first hour to affect your ending. But I do want a better sense of accomplishment. That I chose and worked towards an ending instead of just flipping a switch for a certain faction. Even if that switch is now spread out over the final area instead of in a single room.

Maybe my problem is more with the fact that there really wasn't a solid reason to choose an ending in HR. All the game you work for Sarif, experience his viewpoint, and further his goals. Then, in the final area of the game, you get to hear the viewpoint of a deranged old mass-murderer and a convenient way to side with the faction that's been doing their damnedest to kill you.

We already know where the story is supposed to go. The timeline is pretty fixed. There isn't a hell of a lot they can do to influence it so every ending would have to be pretty uneventful.

DrStephenMeyer
12th Oct 2015, 05:30
Can anyone let me know why would they be prostitution in the game? Prostitution can have augmentation?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Oct 2015, 10:52
Can anyone let me know why would they be prostitution in the game??
Prostitution existed in ancient times and still exists today, so its very normal to see it in the game.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Oct 2015, 11:47
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will handle endings better than its predecessor (http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/10/12/deus-ex-mankind-divided-will-handle-endings-better-than-its-predecessor/)

While Deus Ex: Human Revolution was well received by critics and fans alike, there were some elements more criticized than others. Aside from the game’s outsourced boss battles, the ending was the area of greatest contention among fans. In short, all the choices the player makes throughout the game are meaningless to the ending, which is determined by which big button the player does or doesn’t press. “Which ending do you want?” the game seemed to ask. That won’t happen with the sequel, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, says the developer.

“I’m not going to say how many endings we have. There’s a few, and obviously the choices in the last map in the game will have a big impact,” said producer Olivier Proulx in an interview with PCGamesN. He added that it’s difficult to build a story that can organically build on a player’s choices, but said that “the decisions you make earlier can affect the last parts of the game,” and that early decisions will impact the final areas of the game.

The realities of game development are such that having an ending for every set of possible choices just isn’t reasonable, but it’s good to see that the team is building off fan criticism, trying to find a better way to handle the divide between player choice and limitations of things like budget and time.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Oct 2015, 16:14
A Deus Ex: Mankind Divided designer dreams up a violent opera adaptation (http://www.avclub.com/article/deus-ex-mankind-divided-designer-dreams-violent-op-226693)

The next game in the series, Mankind Divided, arrives early next year, and we pulled game designer Antoine Tisdale away from the busy New York Comic Con floor to shed some light on Jensen’s next outing...

Cyberhuman
15th Oct 2015, 07:32
A few quotes from an interview with executive art director Jaques-Belletête.

We’re aiming for something more like a graphic novel than photorealism, and that way it can be more homogenous throughout. Visual communication is more important than realism. We’re not trying to make you believe that these places resemble reality as you see it, but they should feel right – the size, the shape, the construction.

They've made a very good decision here. This is absolutely essential.

There is colour scripting for emotions and moods throughout the game, following the narrative curve. But that being said, our colour pallette is very much tied into our analogies and metaphors, so if HR was all about the golden era of transhumanism – with the Renaissance, the Enlightenment and the myth of Icarus hanging over everything – that’s where the black and gold comes from. I you look at Vermeer, Rembrandt – they’re early baroque as well as late Renaissance – their spectrum comes into HR.

..and this is one of the reasons why I love exploring the world of Deus Ex.

I think India is the perfect place for cyberpunk. It’d make a very new spin on it as well because the cyberpunk from the 80s and 90s mixed with Japanese and Asian culture, like Bladerunner and Shadowrun and all those things. That’s perfectly fine but we’ve seen quite a lot of it.

This is fine, but they should take us back to the cyberpunk of Japanese and Asian culture, because it's simply the best. They should explore new ground, but keep the main focus on the far east.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Oct 2015, 16:16
Mary DeMarle - "Life isn’t simple” in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox/xbox-one/life-isnt-simple-in-deus-ex-mankind-divided/)

“What Jensen discovers in the aftermath of Human Revolution is that life isn’t that simple,” Executive Narrative Director Mary DeMarle said to the Examiner, explaining how Jensen would be shaped by a turbulent new world.

Shralla
16th Oct 2015, 01:02
This is fine, but they should take us back to the cyberpunk of Japanese and Asian culture, because it's simply the best. They should explore new ground, but keep the main focus on the far east - this is the best setting for cyberpunk and Deus Ex always thrives there.

He pretty much just said that it's great, but there is a ton of it. And he's right. There are so few cyberpunk things that haven't liberally abused the far east setting, and I don't think they need to "take us back" anywhere given that the first and third game already had levels set in China. I sincerely doubt we're going to get both Dubai AND another Asian city, and that's fine. We've seen the far east in Deus Ex twice before.

DrStephenMeyer
16th Oct 2015, 03:46
Why couldnt Jenson be given natural limbs instead of robotics one? If they had the technology to argument him did they not give him the choice of getting human hands, eyes, etc?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Oct 2015, 16:19
I recall an explanation on a PC in the L.I.M.B. clinic. I can't remember the specifics but something about losing an arm and damaged lungs. I also think his eye got shot out.

Irate_Iguana
16th Oct 2015, 17:30
I recall an explanation on a PC in the L.I.M.B. clinic. I can't remember the specifics but something about losing an arm and damaged lungs. I also think his eye got shot out.

DrStephenMeyer wants to know why they gave him robotic limbs instead of cloned limbs.

I don't think cloning technology available to the public is advanced enough to grow replacement limbs.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Oct 2015, 19:01
Ah yes, my bad.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Oct 2015, 13:48
Watch: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided looks meaner, uncannier (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-18-watch-deus-ex-mankind-divided-looks-meaner-uncannier)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution's black and gold palette, obsession with triangles and exceptional trenchcoat made it visually distinctive, but its style has evolved into something meaner and more uncanny for follow-up Mankind Divided. Executive art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletête shows us how in the video...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Oct 2015, 20:44
'Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's' Art of Destruction (http://www.forbes.com/sites/toddkenreck/2015/10/20/deus-ex-mankind-divideds-art-of-destruction/)

Executive art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletête talks about where he finds inspiration for the design of the game’s character, environments and technology.

Irate_Iguana
23rd Oct 2015, 19:12
They keep doing interviews on the design and inspiration and all that jazz. There are hardly any interviews on the improved mechanics except those that are them just telling us that it will be better.

68_pie
24th Oct 2015, 09:41
Mary DeMarle and JFD are talking about DX:MD at MCM London today. I will be in attendance. Hmmm what shall I ask...

Irate_Iguana
24th Oct 2015, 11:51
Almost anything you can think of will be better than the usual questions.

Spyhopping
24th Oct 2015, 19:55
Nice, get to ask anything?

Watched what I think was the most recent trailer earlier. AJ's dramatic statements aren't my cup of tea but visuals looking really good - especially the hair effects in-game. Not something I was expecting to pick up on.

68_pie
24th Oct 2015, 22:07
Most of the moderator's questions were pretty bland and didn't particularly touch on gameplay.

JFD did say that whilst all the marketing has been focused on combat, they've made improvements to the other paths too (take that for what you will).

I asked about XP. Kind of a two parter.

Q1 - why not just give XP for completing objectives/at the end of missions?

A1 - they want to reward people on a more constant basis.

Q2 - why do kills/lethal takedowns/non-lethal takedowns have different XP rewards?

A2 - they're trying to balance it better than in HR so different play styles will have closer to the same amount of XP (I didn't find this a particularly satisfying answer.

There was only time for two other audience questions:

Q - is Icarus Dash like Blink from Dishonoured? If so how do you stop it being overpowered?

A - (the audio wasn't great here) kinda yes; limited because of energy cells (I'm guessing at what was said)

Q - which HR ending was canon

A - only AJ actually knows what message was sent so it's up to the player.

Irate_Iguana
25th Oct 2015, 10:33
Q1 - why not just give XP for completing objectives/at the end of missions?

A1 - they want to reward people on a more constant basis.

First of all gamers, even modern ADD console gamers, don't have the attention span of a ferret with ADHD. Rewards don't have to come that often. Further more, rewards don't have to be XP based. Praxis kits, weapon mods, specialty ammo, and rare consumables can all be used to reward a player midmission. If they actually wanted to do their job as a game developer they'd make sure that the story and encounter design rewarded players instead of having to bribe them with XP.

Q2 - why do kills/lethal takedowns/non-lethal takedowns have different XP rewards?

A2 - they're trying to balance it better than in HR so different play styles will have closer to the same amount of XP (I didn't find this a particularly satisfying answer.

It isn't a particularly satisfying answer because it doesn't answer the question. It dodges the question and then gives an answer that tells us that a certain playstyle will still be more powerful than the others. They learned nothing.

Q - is Icarus Dash like Blink from Dishonoured? If so how do you stop it being overpowered?

A - (the audio wasn't great here) kinda yes; limited because of energy cells (I'm guessing at what was said)

Blink was limited by mana use and restored Piero's Spiritual Remedy. In effect there was no limit on its use. The same will be true in MD and it will be OP. The new abilities all sound OP and that is after HR wasn't exactly the most difficult game on the block.

MasterTaffer
26th Oct 2015, 01:08
First of all gamers, even modern ADD console gamers, don't have the attention span of a ferret with ADHD.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Oct 2015, 09:34
:D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Oct 2015, 14:22
Ion Storm's lost Deus Ex Sequels (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-16-ion-storms-lost-deus-ex-sequels)

Invisible War and Human Revolution - these are the sequels every Deus Ex fan knows. But they're only a fraction of the real story. Prior to Human Revolution, Ion Storm Austin, the studio behind the first two Deus Ex titles, worked on a third game in the series. Twice.

Now, exclusive research and interviews offer a look at Ion Storm's creative process and a glimpse at the trilogy that might have been; at the never-announced games known as Deus Ex: Insurrection and Deus Ex 3.

We'll start at the beginning...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Oct 2015, 14:32
Paris Games Week 2015 (https://www.deusex.com/news/PGW-2015)

Eidos Montreal will be at Paris Games Week showing off a new level from #MankindDivided!

Cyberhuman
30th Oct 2015, 11:28
Q - which HR ending was canon

A - only AJ actually knows what message was sent so it's up to the player.

I like this.

The new abilities all sound OP and that is after HR wasn't exactly the most difficult game on the block.

I hope they have a solid difficulty mode that can balance this out.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Oct 2015, 22:32
PAX Aus 2015: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Receives Extended Gameplay Trailer (http://powerupgaming.co.uk/2015/10/30/pax-aus-2015-deus-ex-mankind-divided-receives-extended-gameplay-trailer/)

With PAX Australia 2015 now in full swing, Square Enix and Eidos Montreal earlier today presented extended gameplay footage from the upcoming Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Eidos Montreal’s executive narrative director Mary DeMarle was on hand to showcase the demo, which featured protagonist Adam Jensen infiltrating a theatre controlled by the infamous Dvali organised crime family. Although the footage had previously been shown off behind closed doors to members of the media, this was the first public showing of the mission, which takes place approximately two thirds of the way through the game.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st Oct 2015, 15:08
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz_jif86xsI)

Footage of the DX:MD Dvali Theater demo - PAX Australia 2015 narrated by lead narrative designer Mary DeMarle

zz_jif86xsI

Irate_Iguana
31st Oct 2015, 18:18
The highlighting is still stupid. Doesn't matter if it's white or orange. Climbing ladders in 3rd is still just as lame as it was in HR.

More vertical levels are nice. Worked pretty well in Dishonored. The question is whether the AI can cope with this 3rd dimension. From what I've seen so far it is exactly the same AI as HR, so that does not bode well.

The level sections aren't too large. It's small room, large room or courtyard sized and that's it. No large outdoor areas. That could be due to the area we are in. More probable is that it will be this way throughout the game, because the console can't hack large areas.

The ammo counter on the gun is too visually distracting and not needed since it is right there in the lower right corner.

New augmentations look ridiculously overpowered and since there doesn't seem to be an improvement in the AI this game is going to be a cakewalk.

The new guns look pretty sweet.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Nov 2015, 14:09
Deus Ex writer: each ending in Human Revolution was the 'correct' ending (http://www.pcgamer.com/deus-ex-writer-each-ending-in-human-revolution-was-the-correct-ending)

At PAX Australia, PC Gamer had the opportunity to talk with Mary DeMarle, lead writer on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. DeMarle also wrote Human Revolution, and had some interesting insights into how Mankind Divided will expand on the oppressive, dystopian Deus Ex vision. She also discussed how the studio is dealing with the last game's awkward, branching ending.

Warning: there are huge spoilers for Human Revolution in this interview.

Cyberhuman
4th Nov 2015, 08:29
I'm worried about the HUD. I want as little information as possible on screen. Deus Ex should be an immersive experience; anything that isn't necessary should be removed from the HUD - we should at least have an option to remove it.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Nov 2015, 14:49
I'm worried about the HUD. I want as little information as possible on screen. Deus Ex should be an immersive experience; anything that isn't necessary should be removed from the HUD - we should at least have an option to remove it.
I wouldn't worry. Its in alpha stage, so the HUD positioning, elements, design etc are not final.

SageSavage
4th Nov 2015, 16:33
As others mentioned before:
- movement seems way(!) too floaty
- rain should look much better for it to work as an atmospheric enhancement rather then a distraction
- highlighting objects is still meh although it didn't really bother me too much in HR

Also: this sniper rifles conveniently waiting for the player... just like that rocket launcher in HRs box guard fight in the storehouse. I sincerely hope the actual game will have more credible design.

And yeah: balancing will make or break this the game. In this demo Jensen is most certainly overpowered.

Irate_Iguana
4th Nov 2015, 18:45
Also: this sniper rifles conveniently waiting for the player... just like that rocket launcher in HRs box guard fight in the storehouse. I sincerely hope the actual game will have more credible design.

I hope so as well. I'm getting a bit tired of random weapons lying about that you just happen to need for the next fight. At least come up with a credible reason for that thing being there.

Also, NOT giving the player everything he needs for a fight leads to creativity.

And yeah: balancing will make or break this the game. In this demo Jensen is most certainly overpowered.

I'm almost certain that it can't be fixed. Not without hampering the gameplay so much that you essentially can't use augs.

There are two limitations on augs that we can see. Ammo and BE cost. Both rely on the scarcity of their respective replenishment object for balance. Since these items are placed to allow the average gamer a chance to use augs reasonably often they end up being terribly abundant for decent gamers. In HR you were able to use the cloak aug at level 1 almost anytime you wanted to. There were plenty of candy bars and the first pip regenerated. Now add to this the fact that they said that they wanted people to use augs more often and feel like a powerful cyborg, and I'm pretty certain that we'll find more than enough BE cells and ammo to be pretty OP.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Nov 2015, 00:12
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is reinventing the art of the side-quest (http://www.gamesradar.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided-reinventing-art-side-quest/)

“I hate ‘side-quests’ and ‘side-missions’ as a term,” says gameplay director, Patrick Fortier, “because I love them so much in gameplay, and I feel it belittles what they actually are. I think the philosophy here was not have a tremendous amount of them - we invested in deeper stuff, and twists in terms of the gameplay.”

SageSavage
6th Nov 2015, 06:12
I'm almost certain that it can't be fixed. Not without hampering the gameplay so much that you essentially can't use augs.

There are two limitations on augs that we can see. Ammo and BE cost. Both rely on the scarcity of their respective replenishment object for balance. Since these items are placed to allow the average gamer a chance to use augs reasonably often they end up being terribly abundant for decent gamers. In HR you were able to use the cloak aug at level 1 almost anytime you wanted to. There were plenty of candy bars and the first pip regenerated. Now add to this the fact that they said that they wanted people to use augs more often and feel like a powerful cyborg, and I'm pretty certain that we'll find more than enough BE cells and ammo to be pretty OP.

I think there are other and also more organic ways in the actual design. The use and/or effectiveness of items and weapons can be altered by many factors other than Ammo/BE cost: environment, enemy design, its mechanics (penalties/benefits for using it). To use your example:
cloaking can temporarily lose its appeal when you have enemy types with augmented vision (:D) so that they can still detect you. Or if its (intentionally) 'glitchy' enough to come with some serious penalty. You could have areas with aug jamming devices, other hackers wreaking havoc on your own gear, etc..

Wether or not something like that falls under "balancing" is debatable. Certainly not stuff you could come up with at the very end of the development process though.

Irate_Iguana
6th Nov 2015, 18:16
I think there are other and also more organic ways in the actual design. The use and/or effectiveness of items and weapons can be altered by many factors other than Ammo/BE cost: environment, enemy design, its mechanics (penalties/benefits for using it).

There are indeed other ways to curb the effectiveness of augs. They all pretty much depend heavily on proper encounter design. From what I've seen so far I don't think they managed to really change that much. It still looks like the same type of combat we saw in HR just with a few new gimmicks. The game just feels too much like HR with a new coat of paint for me to expect anything new in encounter design.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th Nov 2015, 23:07
Eidos “not saying no” to a Deus Ex: Mankind Divided dev commentary track (http://stevivor.com/2015/11/eidos-montreal-seems-to-be-preparing-a-commentary-track-for-deus-ex-mankind-divided/)

We might get the inside line on how the game was made, in-game...

While speaking with Deus Ex’ Executive Narrative Director, Mary DeMarle, and Brand Manager, Rodney Lelu, at PAX AUS recently, the pair all but confirmed that a developer commentary will be included with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

We asked the pair about the possibility of a commentary for the upcoming title as we enjoyed the feature so much in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director’s Cut.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Nov 2015, 17:32
Sharing here:

SE just announced that they are pushing DE: MD back to August (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/deus-ex-mankind-divided-delayed-until-august-2016-1529387)

Square Enix and Eidos Montreal have announced that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has been delayed until 23 August 2016 so developers Eidos Montreal can have more time to work on "tuning, iterations and refinement". The release date was originally set for February 2016 on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

SageSavage
18th Nov 2015, 18:14
Ugh, I don't like that but I hope they actually use the time for improvements.

MasterTaffer
18th Nov 2015, 20:17
Given the high profile cases of buggy releases as of late, pushing back the release to take time and polish the game is probably prudent.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Nov 2015, 10:40
FUN FACT - RELEASE DATE (https://www.reddit.com/r/Deusex/comments/3tb5sk/deus_ex_mankind_divided_release_date_august_2016/)

...with this new release date, Mankind Divided comes out exactly 5 years after Human Revolution (HR released 23. August 2011)

Avenging_Teabag
20th Nov 2015, 06:42
I'm okay with the game being pushed back. More polish = good, and hopefully, that will make this coming winter and beginning of the spring a little less taxing on my wallet, because there gonna be a crapton of new releases that i'll want to get in that time frame.

SageSavage
20th Nov 2015, 08:59
Conspiracy theory: Mankind Divided has been pushed back because of Paris Attacks. Square Enix is worried people could take MDs terrorist scenario the wrong way now.

Another thing I've heared through the grapevine is that they want to tweak the physics engine a little more. Feedback from the playtesters about boob jiggeling was luke warm but they are not feeling quite satisfied yet.

Shralla
20th Nov 2015, 16:48
Arkham Knight was also delayed. Just saying.

xaduha3
20th Nov 2015, 22:14
Quite a delay. Their silly tiered pre-order system was announced Sep 1, right? People can have up to 11 months of this pre-order goodness!

EDIT: Nevermind, I somehow missed that it was scraped (http://www.pcgamer.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided-ridiculous-preorder-scheme-cancelled/) after a month.

CyberP
25th Nov 2015, 03:32
Delays are always a good thing to me (within reason). It means more work done on the game which equates to more fun for me providing the design is good.

I'm currently replaying Human Revolution on & off whenever I get the time. I still feel the exact same way about it: a magnificent game that doesn't really come close to its full potential, especially due to not following Looking Glass/Ion Storm design principles as closely as one would have hoped, but it is still a really great game. Clearly a lot of love put into it, but our criticism comes from a place of love too.

The new one has me worried that they are further straying from the all-encompassing game design formula that is the Immersive Sim, but we'll have to wait and see.

Irate_Iguana
25th Nov 2015, 12:57
Arkham Knight was also delayed. Just saying.

Yep. They were confident enough about the game to release a preorder system that would even bring the release date forward with 4 days. Suddenly they need another half a year to tune the game? This just smells like big trouble.

This sudden delay doesn't sit right because I feel that they've been banging on about the design too much and not enough about the gameplay. It's all about designing the new look. Designing the new Jensen. How pretty everything is. How there is this massively overwrought apartheid theme. When it comes to the combat all you hear is that they want to make it better, but not make stealth worse. It's like they've been theorycrafting up till this point and now after a complete playthrough somebody said that the game still needs loads of actual development.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Nov 2015, 12:55
Deus Ex & The City Poster (https://twitter.com/DeusEx)

We're thrilled to unveil the 1st poster for the highly-anticipated Deus Ex and the City sequel. Now, it's personal.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th Nov 2015, 09:39
Latest EM tweet:

Allegorithmic - Procedural Material Contest (https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/procedural-material-contest-winners-part-2)

Congrats to Nicolas Longchamps, Senior Technical Artist at our LABS department, for winning 2nd place!

Funnyguy17
30th Nov 2015, 11:44
Trailers, gameplay, anything? Title says it all really thanks!

SageSavage
1st Dec 2015, 06:04
Since the release has been pushed back, prepare for a long dry spell in terms of MD information.