PDA

View Full Version : DE:MD wishlist. What would make it perfect for you?

CHERNO-B1LL
8th Apr 2015, 10:35
TL;DR - I want a believable, more complex, more intelligent conspiracy theory with better developed characters and motivations. A more immersive world and affecting side-quests would also be great.

What do you guys want to see?

For me there is nothing more important than the story. The graphics in the last game were fine. The AI were okay. The augs were kind of disappointing but I ignored half of them. There was a ton I'd change about the gameplay mechanics and 3rd person, but I managed to adapt.

All of this however pales in importance to the story. That first data cube in Human Revolution signposted the whole patient X thing within the first minute of player control. You knew Megan was alive early on. If you didn't peg that Darrow was up to no good from the get go you should be ashamed of your conspiracy theory loving ass. Getting that ominous, shady aug update thing later in the game was also only reserved for the stupid (or 2nd playthroughs). I'm not going to talk about the endings... I'm not!

Overall, it was fine. But I've said it before and I will say it again. Fine is not good enough for Deus Ex.

It missed out on creating great supporting characters like the original. Morgan Everett, Tracer Tong, Smuggler, the team back at Unatco etc. Even smaller roles stood out like Louis Pan, or the Rentons. Killing JoJo Fine was a brilliant feeling, it still blowing up in my face was devastating. We need characters that make the world worth saving. Human Revolution didn't have that.

Realising that this game was not black and white by showing you another side to the Unatco v NSF story was brilliant. I wandered into the demo of this game thinking it was a cool shooter RPG. Then everything about gaming changed for me forever when I watched that interrogation of the NSF soldier in Unatco HQ. I wasn't playing the game I thought I was. It was playing me! It made players think about their actions, it could make you regret your previous decisions and agonize over your choices because they could come back to haunt you in a very real way.

I played that demo for months before the actual game came out. Every nook and cranny was explored every possible approach attempted, every conversation root followed. One 'level' was literally months of play.

That game whisked you along in a way you didn't know what was coming up next. I felt smarter for playing it and I learned about experimental sciences, philosophy, literature and politics. I want that experience back.

If you're reading this Mary DeMarle, this is for you. More like The Missing Link please.

Rest of the hit list:

Better, more functional augs - I really want to see a detachable hand spider that can be upgraded to act as a camera or grenade delivery system (but that's just me).

Better functionality for people who just want to play in 1st person. 3rd person should be entirely optional.

No quicktime events! See Far Cry for 1st person takedowns. We don't need all that acrobatic martial arts flash. Keep it simple.

Leaning!

Bring back skills.

PC first development

If for some reason you're interested in an in depth look at what (I thought) was wrong with the last game's story and characters I made a post on the old forum that got pretty involved;

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=122221

Isumbarus
8th Apr 2015, 10:54
First person leaning sounds good for me ,it can be like in Dishonored.

CHERNO-B1LL
8th Apr 2015, 10:58
First person leaning sounds good for me ,it can be like in Dishonored.

Dishonoured is a great example of first person immersion actually. Love that game. What Thief should have been.

Far cry does it well too. The peep over cover works quite well and the take downs aren't too fancy but still cool and a lot of variation as you level up. Dishonoured keeps it super simple but you don't need more than a choke hold to do the trick.

68_pie
8th Apr 2015, 12:44
I can't wait for the first dev post/interview claiming that they are listening to the fans and then for the game to show that they listened to literally nothing.

Deja ******* vu.

kokujinjrocker
9th Apr 2015, 03:12
I can't wait for the first dev post/interview claiming that they are listening to the fans and then for the game to show that they listened to literally nothing.

Depends on what fans. People who are stuck in a time capsule, or those who enjoyed their best DEHR yet....

Anyway... a lot of the things this guy doesn't like...

The art style is going to be the same.
The characters are going to be mostly the same.
The storyline/themes (can I even use the plural here?) is going to be the same.
The music is going to be the same.

Of course new features and the graphics to pushed to the technical standards.

FrankCSIS
9th Apr 2015, 04:25
I call bull on the time capsule thing.

Everything is so much better with mspaint graphs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/FrankDePasquale/sum%20of%20all%20fears_zpsqcstnaqp.png

It's been made abundantly clear no one ever asked for a 2000 time capsule. What we were hoping for, at least in 2008, was the logical modernisation and evolution of the 2000 blueprints, labeled here as Alternate 2015. Natural development and evolution of emergent gameplay mechanics, level design and true interactivity in terms of narrative involvement and story experience. As you can tell from this highly detailed top-down view, we're looking for the other path at the fork. The one that never was, but could very well be, because nothing is ever set in stone when it comes to games and how they change and evolve. No one ever foresaw third person wall hugging until it took the world by storm, and passes as the norm today. Physics in games, something heavily pursued in the early 2000, have greatly regressed. It's impossible to tell which feature everyone will try to copy next.

Also. I may refer the OP to the thread "Where do we go from now", which had some great contributions all the while respecting what HR actually was. Too bad no one has set foot once in here during the entire development process of MD. We might have at least been given a chance to exchange.

3rdmillhouse
9th Apr 2015, 14:58
I hope we can knock out people by throwing rocks at their faces, it would be ha-la-rious.

CHERNO-B1LL
9th Apr 2015, 15:05
I killed Maggie Chow with her own couch in the original game after I found the secret MJ12 room in the back. Cow.

Auric180
9th Apr 2015, 16:20
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Auric180's Wish list:
More like questions...

Game features:
Hopefully saving is still around and repayable not like some other games suddenly its play once and buy again to play second... deleting save files don't count.

Game plus? However it is called...
After finish the game we can restart with what we have and be all bad ass from the start... Minus any story related augs Ofcourse.

What ifs...
If u know something or someone u meet at the beginning and can interact with them... Can we have a I know u conversation and or ability to kill them and have a fun game over or even story change Oo

Original DX at least let us shoot them... Unlike DXIW hide them behind walls and DXHR no guns allowed areas.

Augmentations
Customizable?
I mean if ur doing this, make it story related dun just have Adam look different and have illegal implants without people noticing.
Unless its hidden Ofcourse.

XP & Praxis
I think its still a good way to upg.
Can we pick a limited number of augs to have right away or are we being nerfed and have excuse they're dmg from the blast and drowning...

Melee
Are we still doing TPS animation?
If yes must improve... Alot

Different class of enemy needs different animations of takedowns... Can't simply punch in face or crack an arm against a NPC suited with heavy body armor the same way a naked NPC is...

Facial expressions of victims and Adam need to show more than blank stares.
Especially those without helmets.

Maybe can get some helm cracking like in DXHR trailer so gas can slip in.

Animation
More varieties of kills or KOs animations
Depending on ur position and alert status... Don't want the same brisk walk during a combat face to face a split second ago.

If they're higher or lower by a foot, have takedowns matching the situation. Pull them down, carry them up like the trailer did.

Temporal anomaly
Adam can't pause time... Slow down may be, showing him moving so fast people around him move slowly.

"My arms are augmented"
Kills can be done by hands too, not just blades. Silent kills.
Especially with them Aug arms of his.

Corner and behind obstacles takedowns...

Only way I see them fancy moves on the trailer working is batman style TPS game...

Not limited by energy... If yes then at least faster charging and more then one battery passively charged.

Passive animation
Some FPS hand motions to use a pc or consoles would be nice... Many FOS are doing that already, an advance Aug like Adam shouldn't be left behind.

Inventory is nice already, not sure how to improve it. Other than animation of him holstering and drawing the weapon.
Big guns should be pulled off from somewhere else than the pockets.

Especially in TPS mode.

Enemy classes
Civilians - thugs
No extra protection, guns and knives
Don't need blades to kill

Animation Adam holding back his strength from killing them by accident.

Soldiers non-augs
Standard armor, rifles, etc.
Blades come to action mire often for kills.

Soldiers augs
Legs - move faster
Arms - throw items at us???

Commandos augs
Cloak, Counter takedowns during combat (QuickTime event)
Resist concussion effects during combat but if unexpected they get blinded as well.

Heavies
Suit of armor, high protection
Constant gas immunity unless helm cracked.
Constant concussion immunity

Resist frontal takedowns during combat.

Heavy weapons.

Boss fight
"Talk to death or life"
Love the dialog duels, hope it gets better.
Sparing targets for Intel or aid in the future.

Tricky way to takedown bosses like Namir

Alternate routes to bypass

Sneak kill like in the DLC.

Conversation
More motion acting like in some interrogation scenes in DXHR, maybe for NPC chatter too. :o

Better AI...
Environment
AI that are aware of their surroundings like in Splinter cell:Chaos Theory.
Lights, doors, pc monitors, window blinds, etc.

Target lost
Behave differently after a failed search. Say different things when heard or spotted us again.

Or when around a dead body.

Limited ammo
With limited ammo AI will act depending in their bios.
A trained person will conserve and make his shots count.
While a brainless ganger will waste it like usual.

If player in a gun fight must take them out fast to get more ammo...

Revival
Unconscious bodies may be revived?
Some types can't like tranqued while a punched or tazed victim can be woken.

Or maybe if a given amount tine can be woken while freshly KOed can't be waken so soon...

Story
Choosing Sides?
What I like in DXIW is swapping sides every next mission, they even get confused as to my motives.

Multiple story paths?
Making allies/enemies?
Killing and sparing have different results.

Side missions have effect too rather then just stand alone fillers.

Old game choices effect the next game.

Prologue to choose our past game endings?
Or are we getting a mix?

Ending
rather then ending depends on what we do defines the character actions it'll be nice even if u do alot of one path and suddenly change ur mind at the end and get a shocking reaction from the NPCs.

Shralla
9th Apr 2015, 19:47
While poorly formatted, the previous post contains a lot of good ideas. Enemies who are immune or enhanced against certain types of weaponry would provide much-needed variety and actual difficulty in firefights beyond just swarming you with enemies.

Barrier_Maiden
9th Apr 2015, 20:17
Bring back Malik. Because why in the hell wouldn't you?

Shralla
9th Apr 2015, 21:19
At least they gave you a reason to like her during the course of the game, unlike Megan. She was awkward and kinda shy, but not so much that she felt like a forced stereotype. And as far as the player is concerned, she has done more for Jensen than Megan ever did. He was kind of a dick to her when you think about it.

Tverdyj
9th Apr 2015, 22:39
In an attempt to be more positive:

Take a page out of Thi4f and make UI elements optional. In particular, offer players the option of an extra challenge by making removing the in-game radar optional.

Lean keys? Please? Pretty please?

That trailer offered spectacular third person combat. Give me the option to actually do all that- 3rd person melee combat, where if I activate the blades, it's lethal, if I don't- its non lethal. You can even have fancy finsher moves to show off how awesome Adam is, like in the Arkham games.

-more convo battles and maybe deeper hacking.
Bring back 1st person mantling.

Auric180
10th Apr 2015, 02:05
Bring back Malik. Because why in the hell wouldn't you?

There will be two tales then, those with her alive and with her dead...
Maybe those who rescued her will learn she is captured killed or working for Page after she drop Megan to him...

FrankCSIS
10th Apr 2015, 02:54
Enemies who are immune or enhanced against certain types of weaponry would provide much-needed variety and actual difficulty in firefights beyond just swarming you with enemies.

This is so very important. Variety of enemies and level design, providing situations to make use of your different augs and weapons, kicking you out of your comfort zone, forcing you to adapt your play style to a specific situation you may never encounter again. That's the whole point of a game, and a world filled with made-up technology ought to offer this possibility.

Auric180
10th Apr 2015, 03:19
This is so very important. Variety of enemies and level design, providing situations to make use of your different augs and weapons, kicking you out of your comfort zone, forcing you to adapt your play style to a specific situation you may never encounter again. That's the whole point of a game, and a world filled with made-up technology ought to offer this possibility.

Ooh forgot to add that to my list...

If its still a one click takedown for any class of enemy... :(
At least show different animation, not simple moves that can takedown a naked NPC on a fully armored one.

FrankCSIS
10th Apr 2015, 03:33
I know some people were burned by RPGs, when a string of bad choices would make the game nearly impossible to complete. Without going there, I think a player, no matter his choices and playstyle, should face at least one or two situations where he is flat out ill-prepared. And you can only achieve this through variety of enemies and level design.

One of the biggest difference between Fallout 2 and 3 was that sometimes, being a brawler carrying a big ass mace was a lot more effective than carrying a powerful gun. I remember a mine, in really closed quarters, filled with aliens, that took me hours to clear, because of how ill-adapted to the situation my typical play style was. F3 always offered you all of the alternate paths, making sure you could get away without ever adapting your style. I feel HR also missed the mark in that regard. A grave misunderstanding of what multiple paths and play styles actually means.

3rdmillhouse
10th Apr 2015, 03:53
Enemy behavior needs to be improved. How so? Well, when you knock out someone, several of the nearest guards come by to investigate, and that's bad combat practice (what if the fallen comrade is boobytrapped?), they also have this horrible idea to gang-up as a Swat fireteam and tactically move towards your line of fire only to get mowed down by machinegun fire, they make no attempt at flanking or at pining me down with grenades and supressive fire.

Another idea I've just head, enemies need to drop more ammo when searched by the player, I'm talking about something along the lines of a gunman packing a pistol and 30 extra rds of spare ammo, as well as a full magazine in the gun, instead of right now that we only get 1 bullet in the gun and 5 spare rounds after searching the corpse.

Auric180
10th Apr 2015, 03:57
I know some people were burned by RPGs, when a string of bad choices would make the game nearly impossible to complete. Without going there, I think a player, no matter his choices and playstyle, should face at least one or two situations where he is flat out ill-prepared. And you can only achieve this through variety of enemies and level design.

One of the biggest difference between Fallout 2 and 3 was that sometimes, being a brawler carrying a big ass mace was a lot more effective than carrying a powerful gun. I remember a mine, in really closed quarters, filled with aliens, that took me hours to clear, because of how ill-adapted to the situation my typical play style was. F3 always offered you all of the alternate paths, making sure you could get away without ever adapting your style. I feel HR also missed the mark in that regard. A grave misunderstanding of what multiple paths and play styles actually means.

I like how Splinter cell Blacklist handled this.

Don't have to be full immunity to weapons... Though flashbangs shouldn't blind those who are protected by helmets...
What the game did was approach them differently.

To gas them remove their helmet first though realistically shooting it wont pop the helmet off. Jensen may be able to show some helm popping moves during takedowns. :D

Love to throw a gas grenade and pop all the helms nearby to KO group of heavies...

Also attack from above or behind to handle heavy units.

Enemy behavior needs to be improved. How so? Well, when you knock out someone, several of the nearest guards come by to investigate, and that's bad combat practice (what if the fallen comrade is boobytrapped?), they also have this horrible idea to gang-up as a Swat fireteam and tactically move towards your line of fire only to get mowed down by machinegun fire, they make no attempt at flanking or at pining me down with grenades and supressive fire.

Another idea I've just head, enemies need to drop more ammo when searched by the player, I'm talking about something along the lines of a gunman packing a pistol and 30 extra rds of spare ammo, as well as a full magazine in the gun, instead of right now that we only get 1 bullet in the gun and 5 spare rounds after searching the corpse.

Limited ammo for AIs... That'll be great.

Sooner u KO or kill them the more u get.