PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

pwnagekitten
4th Apr 2015, 14:20
Hi!

I hope somebody can help me.

I read somewhere that there are apparent comic series/books leading up to the plot of the Rise of TR. I didn't give it too much research or thought because apparently some say they're not as good, BUT I want to know if this will be worth reading, at least the comics, because when I read the brief summary for the Rise, it seems like something that came out of nowhere (Sam is being magically poisoned or something and Lara goes to Siberia to find a cure for her (girl)friend?). Seems very random, and definitely like something that should have something leading up to it.

So, my question is, are there any comics or books I should pick up, and are they legit or any good?

a_big_house
4th Apr 2015, 14:36
Book Thread (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=145493) / Comic Thread (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=141355)

I can't say for the book, but the comics are pretty fun and they will supposedly (very loosely) lead into Rise. They're definitely worth picking up if you have some money to spare, but you're not likely to miss anything if you don't :)

Bretty_boy
4th Apr 2015, 14:44
I've read the book. It's not near as good as the video game or the comics. I don't think it's necessary but it's still a decent read. It did tell a little about Sam without getting into spoilers.

Bretty_boy
4th Apr 2015, 14:46
I've read the book. It's not nearly as good as the video game or comics. I don't think it's necessary to understand the new game. However it is a little about Sam. I don't wanna go into any spoilers though.

Rai
4th Apr 2015, 15:41
Where's this summary that Rise is about Lara finding a cure for sam? I've heard it mentioned, but not read it myself. All I've read of Rise is that Lara is searching for immortality myths and this leads her to Kitezh. If it really is for a cure, then that really is a rehash of the novel's plot only with a different myth and puts me off a bit.

Abe linked you to the novel and comic discussions. I find both enjoyable, but the novel and each arc of the comics are standalone stories with only loose ties to TR'13 and hopefully Rise (the tie being Trinity and a connection to immortality). AFAIK, you don't need to read either the book or the comics to understand the game plot.

I'm so done with Sam at this point. Is this Rise of the Tomb Raider or Rise of the Sam Saving Saviour? :p

Chocolate_shake
4th Apr 2015, 15:56
As far as I know , there is no credible source that states that saving Sam is Lara's motivation to go to kitezh . If this was the case , then why wasn't the saving Sam part there in the magazine previews ( that had paragraphs discussing Lara's motivations ) ?

I like Sam as Lara's good friend giving her emotional support and I want her role to stay that way only . Please , Rhianna/Crystal , no more rescue missions

As for the OP's question , the book and comics are worth a read . I definitely enjoyed them

AlexWeiss
4th Apr 2015, 16:17
Where's this summary that Rise is about Lara finding a cure for sam? I've heard it mentioned, but not read it myself. All I've read of Rise is that Lara is searching for immortality myths and this leads her to Kitezch. If it really is for a cure, then that really is a rehash of the novel's plot only with a different myth and puts me off a bit.
I've read it, I believe one is from KpopStarz (is that the name of them?) and the other I don't remember, it was a film-related site. Neither of them were at all credible and made countless false assumptions.

@pwnagekitten the book is awful, I only got about half way through before I had to stop, it's literally like a big piece of fanfiction and I try to pretend it doesn't exist, but unfortunately it's canon. The comics are on and off, the first arc (each arc is six issues, we're currently on our third with Issue #15 coming at the end of April) is the worst, the second one is really good though in my opinion the last couple issues of the arc isn't as good as the first few, but still not bad. The third arc so far only has two issues, I loved the third one, the second one is... well that discussion is in the comic thread ABH linked.

In short, you can read the novel but don't expect it to be at all good, the comics are worth reading in my opinion.

pwnagekitten
4th Apr 2015, 17:44
Thanks for everyone's responses!

I guess I'll still decide whether to buy them or not, as suspected the impressions seem mixed, so that always puts a big question mark.

Well, if the sequel makes it clear what happened in some form of intro then yeah, I suppose reading these isn't required. I'd love to, but if it ain't that good then I don't feel like throwing my money away :)

@-Rai-- Haha that's a great question, though I personally wouldn't mind, I honestly felt playing through the first game that the whole thing was about surviving as much as possible while on a rescue mission to save Sam. I don't mind the whole damsel thing, as long as I get to kick ass (which she did!). At least if that's true for the sequel (the whole poisoning thing), it would give her a legit reason to go to Siberia for this artifact of immortality or whatever. I mean honestly, that's some pretty epic dedication right there, IF that's going to be the plot. I do like that in the trailer she looks as she's suffering from PTSD. That's realistic, considering all that's happened.

Peritvs
23rd Apr 2015, 16:40
@AlexWeiss I'm about halfway through the novel right now and I agree that it's not the best read but (iI guess without spoilers since idk who here has started reading) What were you disliking the most about it that made you quit reading?

Metalrocks
24th Apr 2015, 01:57
the book is an ok read. its easy to understand besides some situations were it gets a bit confusing when it switches from one sentence talking about lara and the next is about someone else. the chapters arent long either. it will keep you hooked enough to the end.

the comics are a fun read though. you learn more about the characters we saw in the game and about lara and sam in the past. certainly worth a read. i read them all digitally at darkhorse comics and you get bundles that are cheaper to get than getting each one.