PDA

View Full Version : Episode 1: Who Is Watching?

julietxjules
4th Apr 2015, 13:35
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-c0ZtxWIRCJU/VMuK3EAbmWI/AAAAAAAARO4/kOUnWF7DYys/s1600/10959801_875586099160555_4391200500864392178_n.jpg

As a follow up to my most recent thread (click here (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=154305)) I want to expand upon the symbolism and mythology that Dontnod are tapping into with their game "Life Is Strange." For the casual viewer, or those that don't really realise it, there are a lot of symbols scattered about here and there - usually in the form of graffiti. These symbols have very definite meanings that originated way back in an ancient world yet are still in use today and remain popular across many cultures. But as with all symbolism of the past the true meanings are often reimagined and in some cases defiled to represent something completely different; a prime example of this would be the Swastika - also known as the Gammadion Cross, which Hitler chose as the banner for the Nazi Party.

I am not going to bog myself down too much with explanations of where the Swastika came from, but suffice for me to say it was not originated in Germany. It came from the Sanskrit.

With that out of the way, time for me to focus on the purpose of this thread.

Let's go back to episode 1 when Max went to the girls toilets for some well needed solitude. Drawn on the back wall was an ancient symbol. We do not know exactly who drew this symbol on the wall or why, but it simply cannot be missed - it is bold, loud, and beautiful!

For those who don't know, the symbol - which has an eye inside a triangle or pyramid, is popularly known as the "All Seeing Eye," or "Eye of Providence," and is representative of spiritual truth and awakening. The symbol has been widely used in Mysticism, The Occult, and has strong associations with Free Masonry who use the symbol to represent the "Great Architect." The origin of this symbol (solar eye) comes from ancient Egypt where once the Sun embodied everything omnipotent to its people. The deity, Ra. The Sun God.

So it is rather fitting in a way that when Max first discovered she had the power to rewind time which consequently saved Chloe, she did it in full view of the "All Seeing Eye." But let's not overlook the tantalising presence of the fluttering Butterfly either, shall we?

'Author begins to giggle at the sneakiness and craftiness of Dontnod.'

Perhaps, unknown to her, Max is being led or guided by outside influences who have bestowed the power to rewind time upon her? Some benevolent force, or being, or whatever else you want you call it, whose purpose is to set something to rights and is temporarily using Max as the vessel with which to do it by? Where's that Doe got to?

"The region has a power!" . . . who said that? Remember?

Whether or not these symbols and little hints scattered across Arcadia Bay of are of any consequence for the future remains to be seen, but Dontnod are craftily using these items of curiosity and placing them, at times, in direct view so they cannot be missed and slap you right in the face - regardless if you know their meaning or not.

I'm keeping my “Eye” on you Dontnod! :rasp: :worship: :)

MrxknownJG
9th Apr 2015, 01:45
Thank you. I saw the eye and was already familiar with it, but it is always good to heat/read more about it.

julietxjules
9th Apr 2015, 05:47
Thank you. I saw the eye and was already familiar with it, but it is always good to heat/read more about it.

I am still wondering why it is there and whether or not it will prove significant. I was just curious as to why such a symbol as that one was there at all? - so I decided to do a short post about it.

Thanks again for showing interest.

SHTroll
22nd Apr 2015, 00:08
All the symbols in the game quite got me thinking too, along with the grafitti phrases. They are everywhere and it can't be for nothing. Could be some piece of information about where Max's powers are coming from, like, something divine with some huge purpose. Most likely about that tornado of the visions.

Or, the symbols could be representing what Max is now capable of. This particular symbol, I mean, the one that was the focus of your post. The "Eye of Providence" could be there to represent how important was that moment, her presence there.

And nice post, by the way! I'm looking foward to read more of your stuff.

julietxjules
22nd Apr 2015, 14:08
Hi and welcome aboard the Arcadian mystery.

Yes it is rather a curious thing as to why the symbols and graffiti are placed here and there as they are, but whether or not they will have actual substance or meaning to the story remains to be discovered. There are examples of said graffiti seen about the place which can also be found inside Chloe's truck! So that leads me to think that maybe it is her who is drawing them or, it could also have been Amber back in the day? In each case it then raises the question of why.

Thanks for taking the time to read. :)

SHTroll
22nd Apr 2015, 18:57
Thank you for having me as a new member in this Arcadian quest, certainly this is quite an arcanum. (Ignore the probably worst pun you have ever read)
Rachel could be the one that made all the grafitti, we don't know if it had been there even before she disappeared or if it just appeared after she was missing. But I don't know for sure if Amber would do such thing, like, if she was into grafitti and stuff like that. Doing this kind of thing seems more like Chloe than Rachel.
In fact, I have seen things like "Trust no one", "Just gotta let go" and "Everybody lies, no exceptions" on a lot of walls in town, including at Chloe's room. So it makes more sense that she would make those after her friend has been missing.

julietxjules
23rd Apr 2015, 05:37
Ha! You're forgiven for the pun! :rasp: At least it shows you have a good sense of humour - and that's ok.

Seriously though. We don't really know anything about Rachel at all - only what other people have said about her and that's sketchy at best. What we do know is that Rachel, like Chloe, has a tattoo! So she likes the odd bit of graffiti on her body and, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that in part, Rachel might have had something to do with it.

The thing is, this game keeps its secrets tight to its chest and gives very little away making us all go wild with speculation. Roll on "Chaos Theory."

Bedcave
23rd Apr 2015, 14:48
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-c0ZtxWIRCJU/VMuK3EAbmWI/AAAAAAAARO4/kOUnWF7DYys/s1600/10959801_875586099160555_4391200500864392178_n.jpg

I'm keeping my “Eye” on you Dontnod! :rasp: :worship: :)

And im keeping my eyes on you Julie – i fall in love with your writing style... first about Arcadia and now about all those little hints and easter eggs. Could it be that you are a writer yourself? Im totally happy at this moment cause... the LiS community is as great as the game and Dontnod masterpiece itselfs. :D

Just wanna thank you for your topics and opinions - i really like looking for your posts.

Greetings from germany ^___^

julietxjules
23rd Apr 2015, 15:01
And im keeping my eyes on you Julie – i fall in love with your writing style... first about Arcadia and now about all those little hints and easter eggs. Could it be that you are a writer yourself? Im totally happy at this moment cause... the LiS community is as great as the game and Dontnod masterpiece itselfs. :D

Just wanna thank you for your topics and opinions - i really like looking for your posts.

Greetings from germany ^___^

Aww! That is the most endearing of comments I have read. Thank you.

And yes, I do quite a bit of writing these days. One could say that I aspire to be a better writer than what I actually am right now - there is always room for improvement isn't there.

Glad to read that you like the game and are enveloped in the mystery as is everyone else here.

Nox_Dogma
4th May 2015, 12:40
Hi and welcome aboard the Arcadian mystery.

Yes it is rather a curious thing as to why the symbols and graffiti are placed here and there as they are, but whether or not they will have actual substance or meaning to the story remains to be discovered. There are examples of said graffiti seen about the place which can also be found inside Chloe's truck! So that leads me to think that maybe it is her who is drawing them or, it could also have been Amber back in the day? In each case it then raises the question of why.

Thanks for taking the time to read. :)

i think that too, because there are yellow smileyface stickers and (as you said) symbols in Cloe`s Room.
Only the "HO" stickers are not clear for me..what does "HO" stands for?
maybe this is from Warren -> HO Holmium (http://www.inorganicventures.com/element/holmium)

julietxjules
4th May 2015, 14:22
i think that too, because there are yellow smileyface stickers and (as you said) symbols in Cloe`s Room.
Only the "HO" stickers are not clear for me..what does "HO" stands for?
maybe this is from Warren.

I am not clear in my mind as to what "HO" means either.

It could well be - as you pointed out - from the Periodic Table and represent Holmium, but I don't think it makes much sense that it should be there. . .it's a bit of a long shot and not relevant to the game.

It must mean something though, but like I said - I am clueless.

Nox_Dogma
5th May 2015, 11:41
if found a
HO
H
e

on a locker (if you leave room 102, turn right)
i agree that has nothing to do with the perodic table, HE -> Helium, but this is He, e Euler's Number (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_%28mathematical_constant%29)

nothing important :(

julietxjules
5th May 2015, 14:29
on a locker (if you leave room 102, turn right

I will certainly look out for it the next time I am there.

Room 102, was that in the girls' dorm?

Nox_Dogma
5th May 2015, 14:38
nope, the Art Class with the strange Clock ^^ (mr. jeffersons classroom)

in the girls dorm, you can find 1 HO (i found only one)

Sneddonator
6th Aug 2015, 09:22
Ha! You're forgiven for the pun! :rasp: At least it shows you have a good sense of humour - and that's ok.

Seriously though. We don't really know anything about Rachel at all - only what other people have said about her and that's sketchy at best. What we do know is that Rachel, like Chloe, has a tattoo! So she likes the odd bit of graffiti on her body and, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that in part, Rachel might have had something to do with it.

The thing is, this game keeps its secrets tight to its chest and gives very little away making us all go wild with speculation. Roll on "Chaos Theory."

Great observation. I should pay more attention. I like to think that Rachel did them. Obviously a lot of graffiti isnt hers but it just adds yet another layer to an already deep game

julietxjules
6th Aug 2015, 11:33
Going back to episode one - it was more of a mystery then as to who was actually writing the graffiti. After studying the inside of Chloe's truck I noticed that there was some identical drawings there. So Chloe probably did those and a hoard of other budding graffiti merchants did the rest.

ScottBlows
6th Aug 2015, 15:02
But who did this one?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLfGl7GWgAA9wQu.png

StrangerThanFiction
6th Aug 2015, 15:15
But who did this one?

OMM (Oh my Max), that is a rare majestic Uni-corm. They say that looking at it improves your eyesight by .25 (or maybe that's just a rumor.) Where on Earth did you find this completely accurate and detailed drawing? :p

julietxjules
6th Aug 2015, 15:31
But who did this one?

Haha! Scott! Behave yourself. :rasp:

StrangerThanFiction
6th Aug 2015, 15:37
Haha! Scott! Behave yourself. :rasp:

Whatever do you mean? He's acting like his normal professional self. :rasp:

ScottBlows
6th Aug 2015, 16:01
Whatever do you mean? He's acting like his normal professional self. :rasp:

Always professional! :D

julietxjules
6th Aug 2015, 16:13
Always professional! :D

Oh. . .I'm sure. ;)

JoelGrosso
3rd Sep 2015, 15:25
I think that Chloe Draw those Eyes, they are in her car, in her room, and in the parking lot,wich is refeered in the files of Chloe in Ep3

julietxjules
3rd Sep 2015, 16:25
I think that Chloe Draw those Eyes, they are in her car, in her room, and in the parking lot,wich is refeered in the files of Chloe in Ep3

Yes. . this is true. I wrote this way back just after "Chrysalis" was released and had no true idea as to what was really going on. Although we have never seen an example of Chloe actually writing graffiti, it is not too much of a stretch for the imagination to know that she is responsible for some, if not all of it.

Sneddonator
7th Sep 2015, 13:11
Could have been Rachel's graffiti all over the place :)