PDA

View Full Version : Crucible Feedback

Bazielim
31st Mar 2015, 22:06
Quite surprised there wasn't already a thread on this.

So, what are everyone's opinions on the new Crucible map?

Personally my thoughts are that visually and aesthetically it looks brilliant and appropriate - there are so many little touches that make me smile and nod back to the old lore that I enjoy very much. I'm not sure about some of the foliage and I think the Smokestack could do with being a bit bigger, but overall I think that visually it's a massive success.

In terms of the actual gameplay I'm less sure and I'm finding that there seem to be a lot of little things that don't quite work. I'm finding quite a lot of areas that don't let you climb up and there seem to be a few little ledges or things on top of walls to prevent you aiming things down at humans - with the only way being to traverse up what looks like a minor step and try not to jump clean off the top of the wall, and there are several ...well 'fiddly bits' is the only way I can describe them - where things don't quite function as expected or are much more difficult to navigate than should be the case.

Overall I'd say it's a brilliant map, but I think it could do with a few kinks ironing out.

TheDreamcrusher
31st Mar 2015, 22:11
I like it quite a bit. They really went all out with the vertical elements and ascension.

There's a spot underneath the central walkway that's an invisible object, stopped me dead while playing as a scout.

Several of the pipes can't be climbed over by vampires. There's also a fountainhead (it's gold) that can't be climbed over even though it looks like wall decoration.

Ygdrasel
31st Mar 2015, 22:20
It looks wonderful.

Playwise, only had one match because the new lag and trash UI spoiled my desire to play. Seems to poorly favor Charge-oriented Tyrants though. Lot of clippable edges and a few small ledges where humans can perch in relative safety from it. Didn't get to appreciate the visual detail too much because the humans just kept camping the Barracks but I blame them for that, not the map.

Definite kinks, but at least the beginnings of a success.

Vampmaster
31st Mar 2015, 22:24
Quite surprised there wasn't already a thread on this.

So, what are everyone's opinions on the new Crucible map?

Personally my thoughts are that visually and aesthetically it looks brilliant and appropriate - there are so many little touches that make me smile and nod back to the old lore that I enjoy very much. I'm not sure about some of the foliage and I think the Smokestack could do with being a bit bigger, but overall I think that visually it's a massive success.

In terms of the actual gameplay I'm less sure and I'm finding that there seem to be a lot of little things that don't quite work. I'm finding quite a lot of areas that don't let you climb up and there seem to be a few little ledges or things on top of walls to prevent you aiming things down at humans - with the only way being to traverse up what looks like a minor step and try not to jump clean off the top of the wall, and there are several ...well 'fiddly bits' is the only way I can describe them - where things don't quite function as expected or are much more difficult to navigate than should be the case.

Overall I'd say it's a brilliant map, but I think it could do with a few kinks ironing out.

That's pretty much my opinion as well, with the addition that I would have liked to see at least one statue of Turel looking like he did when he and Dumah threw Raziel into the abyss. In his uniform, I mean. His face doesn't look close enough to back then, but I can pass that off as the effects of his evolution.

LemonLimeMan
31st Mar 2015, 23:02
My main issue with it right now is problems climbing around as a vampire. things like climbing thin, tall walls trying to get on top just to jump over them and fall back down. Climbing a wall just to get stuck on a pipe when you get to the top in full view of humans. Sections of walls that you thought you can climb because there is a hole in the roof but you were to close to the tiny over hang. and at one point I tried to hop over a small planter only to fling my self up what I think was a light post near it.

Also another problem I'm having happens on other maps but this map it happens a lot because of the many elevation changes. Vampire moves that make the vampire lung forward just don't hit people when they below you are on stairs, you just fly over them. Hoping onto a small pipe and using infect I just sail over the humans.

Khalith
1st Apr 2015, 03:40
Crucible is good. But the Raw Materials camp elevated above the corner might be a bit too good. It gives the humans massive line of sight on the entire map. If there were a grapple point there (there might be I don't know) a Scout can have full line of sight of the entire map.

The Arena is nice but given it's layout, I don't see it being used much outside of a place to escape, I don't see many battles taking place there because of it's multiple entry points and walls that give the humans free sight on the vamps. As it stands, that Raw Materials camp trumps every other point in the map, I think that camp is going to need some adjusting so there is reason to fight elsewhere.

lucinvampire
1st Apr 2015, 11:10
OMG This map *faints* talk about having a total geekout about how awesome it is! Love all the LoK goodness in it, like the Clan symbols (Turelim and Kain), statues (those Turelim lush :worship: ), the Cathedral etc. :D

I even like the colour/style of the plants/trees now haha they fit in well with the maps style, very much more in keeping.

The buildings/structures/surroundings etc are all absolutely wonderful too. I love the metal work and dark atmosphere of the map, the lighting is cool and the way it colours the characters/skins in it, it makes them look really creepy.

The only thing I’d like to point out negative is that in certain areas where it’s really dark it can be quite hard to see Reaver choking haze, not sure it it’s just me though.

Generally this map is just filled with pure awesomeness. You did a fantastic job! Reward yourselves with cookies!!! :D

Khalith
1st Apr 2015, 11:12
The buildings/structures/surroundings etc are all absolutely wonderful too. I love the metal work and dark atmosphere of the map, the lighting is cool and the way it colours the characters/skins in it, it makes them look really creepy.

I gave the whole map a very thorough exploration in a private match, I have to agree on the metalwork, the entire place fits perfectly in to the level of tech we would normally expect to see in a LoK game. I was reminded a lot of the industrial sections we see in Blood Omen 2 especially.

Jallford
1st Apr 2015, 15:51
I like the two wooden beams above the doorway which are arranged in an Assassin's Creed parkour fashion. If you jump and don't push any direction your character just about leaps between them, if you move forward you fall down. I'm interested to see how people panic and miss these beams entirely when trying to ambush/escape.

AssortedStuff
2nd Apr 2015, 20:03
Contructive criticism:

Too dark, a bit difficult to play in some parts.
Yes, I'm aware of the lore (cover the sun with volcanic ashes). But as a player, and comparing it to the other maps it is too dark. I am referring to the textures used, not the skybox.
Might be too vertical/too many buildings.
Don't get me wrong, I thing it is aesthetically beautiful but it could also use some open areas, like the other maps have. Only time will tell but it might be the case all that verticality might give Vampires an unfair advantage ...or the other way around.
There could be a better mix of buildings vs open space.

VampiricDemise
3rd Apr 2015, 00:40
I'll post my two cents here instead of opening a new thread for feedback for The Crucible.

--

I was pretty stoked about getting a new map, especially one that gives me a sense of Blood Omen 2 industrial grudge like feel and still appropriate for the timeline of Nosgoth. The art and layout is beautiful, I could not have asked for anything more for the way the map is. A lot of new high points for vampires, new gathering points for humans.

Now here is where I have issues with this lovely addition of The Crucible: horrendously un-optimized.

I cannot stress that enough. First match being able to witness the map while doing game play I had spent nearly 30 seconds trying to move from my spawn location to take advantage of a high point as a vampire. Now if I have successfully gotten to the wall I was aiming for (sometimes I would find myself elsewhere after this long period of low low FPS), the climbing sometimes works. Now for the humans it is nearly the same situation of frame rate loss in many locations. Both Vampire and Human combat is almost not possible for me on this map.

Many locations throughout the map have this massive loss of frames that it makes it difficult to engage in a fight and in most cases get to the location of the enemy/meet up with the team.

I will make note here though that I do not run on high graphics for this game at all. I run all options on low/off if possible. Even in the state of running the minimal settings for the game cannot help enough to be able to fully enjoy this map. :( Even when Sommerdam and The Fane had their issues, I never had issues with those maps back in closed beta.

-Konf-
3rd Apr 2015, 09:31
Haven't played the map thoroughly enough to provide overall comments on it, but there are a few things that I noted so far (not map balance relevant):

1. The map seems to utilize different lightning scheme. I understand there's a smoke stack and everything, but the way player modeal textures look just doesn't feel right. On every map the colouring of your character feels the same, except for this one.

2. The steep stairs in the middle of the map prevent Tyran't Shockwave from hitting people when you cast the ability upwards.

Corpsa
3rd Apr 2015, 10:36
First the Map looks awesome, nice art, great Job! Like they way its winding and open at the same Time. My personal opinion on the downside is only, it feels a bit to big, often you have to search for "days" as Vampire. But maybe we see more Sentinel Echo soon :) or it feels better when People figured out best spots. Overall fantastic work thank you guys.

Saikocat
7th Apr 2015, 14:13
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Just updating this to let you know that since the map has been out a week now, we're adjusting the rotation so it won't come up as frequently now :)

GenFeelGood
10th May 2015, 04:02
One thing I've experienced often is that the pipes that line the top of a lot of the ledges stand as individual obstacles that also need to be climbed over with shift after scaling the wall. This is fine until you are climbing to escape the humans that are shooting at you and find yourself being stopped right at the top of the ledge by the pipes, just long enough to be finished off.

Vampmaster
10th May 2015, 12:18
You know what could be fun? If some maps had shortcuts like zip lines or some equivalent for getting across the level quickly. Maybe the Turelim machinary moves about too. Is there anything like a conveyor belt already in there that could be made to move? Or I don't know, maybe some chains and pulleys?

ParadoxicalOmen
10th May 2015, 14:55
I personally would like to see more environmental hazards. Not something silly like stepping into a campfire, but something similar to Freeport map...where vampires can fall into the water (and before the patches, humans could be thrown into the water).

So with this in mind, it would be cool if there was a lava pool somewhere in the Crucible, where humans could be thrown into, or vampires could fall in...

I remember it being SOOO satisfying when i shot a Sentinel with Warbow (as Scout), and he fell into the water...or when i threw a human into to water with the Tyrant's Throw ability.