PDA

View Full Version : The Crucible - Burnt offerings (lore blog)

Saikocat
30th Mar 2015, 17:13
Hi everyone,

A new background/lore blog has been posted here, ahead of The Crucible's release, courtesy of the wonderful Bill Beacham. The new map will be added in our game update tomorrow!

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/426/blog/loreblog-screenshot01.jpg

http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/the-crucible-burnt-offerings

Louves
30th Mar 2015, 17:21
Really well written, I hope we can expect more stories like this one in the future :)

I really want to read a LoK/ Nosgoth book now xD

Ygdrasel
30th Mar 2015, 17:39
Typos:

"...there is still a world of light and horizons put there..." Put should be out, referring to the light outside of the mines.

"Of how the eternal flames are used to scour traitorous Vampires, who writhe and burn in there admonishing fire..." There should be their, referring to the flames.

"...at the stumbling clusters of escapees moving of in deliberately opposing directions to each other..." Of should be off, 'moving off in opposing directions...'.

"However planned this knew that discovery was inevitable" However should be whoever. The sentence currently is nonsense.

"Andris is close-mouthed during these whispered exchanges, does not tell of what he has seen with his own eyes." This one has no typos but (IMO) would read better if the comma were replaced with "and". It was a bit odd to read in current form.

Great entry though. Of particular interest was this bit: "Of how the Turelim in their lust for conquest have come across a new hazard which threatens their immortal flesh, some kind of otherworldly energy that Marked and twisted the Vampires who were exposed to it..." - Maybe it's referencing something already in continuity and I'm just missing it but that is awfully intriguing...

@Louves: Undoubtedly we can. We've gotten one of these for every class and map to date. XD

Louves
30th Mar 2015, 17:49
We've gotten one of these for every class and map to date. XD

Nah not really. This story is more focussing on a character rather than just explaining the background of the map. I like it. A nice addition to the background lore.
(http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/first-look-at-nosgoth-s-next-map-the-crucible)

-Konf-
31st Mar 2015, 04:31
Love the article, really well written! The new perspective from the eyes of a character really adds a lot to it.

And now, time for speculations! What captured my attention the most is:

"...the Turelim in their lust for conquest have come across a new hazard which threatens their immortal flesh, some kind of otherworldly energy that marked and twisted the Vampires who were exposed to it."

Think it might be entirely separate from a previous mention of geomancy, but it looks to me like there are some multiple potential directions for our next Turelim class (if they make more after Rahabim).

Ygdrasel
31st Mar 2015, 05:16
Love the article, really well written! The new perspective from the eyes of a character really adds a lot to it.

"...the Turelim in their lust for conquest have come across a new hazard which threatens their immortal flesh, some kind of otherworldly energy that marked and twisted the Vampires who were exposed to it."

Think it might be entirely separate from a previous mention of geomancy, but it looks to me like there are some multiple potential directions for our next Turelim class (if they make more after Rahabim).

Geomancy seems to be the magic via which they shape the land into giant furnaces. This definitely sounds like some separate new thing to come. "A hulking Tyrant with strange burn-like scars and a seething glow in his flesh..." - This bit sounds to me like it's describing a Tyrant in the midst of Ignore Pain but then it mentions Andris looking into "green fires" so... (Isn't green the Hylden's color? The demon dimension is another world, and its energies are known to twist and alter those exposed to it...)

I really want them to find a way to incorporate these new people into the game beyond just names in a blog. Eskandor, Andris, Malus...

KaininitePriestess
31st Mar 2015, 05:52
I agree, I'd love to see these things all bundled up somehow into a big, shiny, official thing. A book, a part of the game that is able to show off the story in one way or another.

Honestly, Nosgoth-based books/comics/graphic novels/web comics/web cartoons/ANYTHING would be a blessing to me. ;D You guys are weaving such fascinating things in these lore postings!

I also loved the part about wildmen with eagles! Could that be a hint at a future class? Falconers, who use their birds as summon attacks! I'd play the HELL out of that!

Ygdrasel
31st Mar 2015, 06:14
I agree, I'd love to see these things all bundled up somehow into a big, shiny, official thing. A book, a part of the game that is able to show off the story in one way or another.

Honestly, Nosgoth-based books/comics/graphic novels/web comics/web cartoons/ANYTHING would be a blessing to me. ;D You guys are weaving such fascinating things in these lore postings!

I also loved the part about wildmen with eagles! Could that be a hint at a future class? Falconers, who use their birds as summon attacks! I'd play the HELL out of that!

Some sort of falconer would make sense. The various human resistance groups spread throughout Nosgoth had to communicate somehow...

GenFeelGood
31st Mar 2015, 06:16

I am under the impression that the mentioned energy, and what it does to the vampire's form, is in reference to the Molten FX (as seen in the dev stream) as part of the Inferno event.

Ygdrasel
31st Mar 2015, 06:35
I am under the impression that the mentioned energy, and what it does to the vampire's form, is in reference to the Molten FX (as seen in the dev stream) as part of the Inferno event.

Do other effects get detailed in lore like that? That seems a bit odd...

-Konf-
31st Mar 2015, 08:28
Well, despite a lot of good speculative points, even if we don't get geomancy or mentioned humans that can mentally connect with birds of prey - I'd still be happy to see that implemented at least as abilities. Even though I'd love a female Turelim Geomancer (the statue on the Crucible is too good).

@GenFeelGood and @Ygdrasel
While it's true that visual effects were never announced through lore blog posts, it still makes sense for this particular event. I'm just hoping that it's not the case and there's more to it.

Could that be a hint at a future class? Falconers, who use their birds as summon attacks!
Meanwhile behind the scenes, Eric is pulling some strings to make his personal favourite class to become a reality.
"Consider yourselves teased!" - he would have said - "the return of the Geese Master is at hand!"

Vampmaster
31st Mar 2015, 12:28

Otherworldly green fire doesn't sound much like the molten weapons to me. It sound much more like hylden glyph energy to me. Perhaps the Turelim had stumbled upon the same process that the hylden used in BO2. Disclaimer: Not machinery from BO2 or any actual hylden. Or maybe some old experiment left behind by the circle from when they were trying to twist the land. I'd kind of like to see a map in the ruins of the Dark Eden tower or a new energist class harnessing this "otherworldly energy" as a weapon.

GenFeelGood
31st Mar 2015, 12:59
Do other effects get detailed in lore like that? That seems a bit odd...

Not that I can recall, but I do remember that there is a number of us that were and still are looking for lore to support or explain the presence of these FX within the game.

KaininitePriestess
31st Mar 2015, 17:43
Some sort of falconer would make sense. The various human resistance groups spread throughout Nosgoth had to communicate somehow...

It'd make perfect sense, yeah. Not only for communication long-distance, but falconry was a real art back in the medieval period, usually used by nobleman and the like. They could use smaller ones to take down rabbits and things for food, but if you look at the falconers in Mongolia that use the giant eagles, they're actually an extremely formidable method of attack! They hunt wolves, still to this day, and the birds are as large as children! So imagine that being used as a weapon in something like Nosgoth!

Just imagine this in Nosgoth. (https://keenonkyrgyzstan.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/imgp4549.jpg)

Meanwhile behind the scenes, Eric is pulling some strings to make his personal favourite class to become a reality.
"Consider yourselves teased!" - he would have said - "the return of the Geese Master is at hand!"

OMG! :lol: Hey, Geese are total ****, it makes perfect sense!

ETA: Fadge it, I just put the image as a text link. :< I couldn't figure out how to make a small thumbnail. >n< I SHOULD KNOW HOW TO DO THIS.

Saikocat
1st Apr 2015, 08:45
Ack. I'll go check and fix the typos now.

Really well written, I hope we can expect more stories like this one in the future :)

Definitely something I'd like to see more of too, I'm so happy people are enjoying this one :)