PDA

View Full Version : Silence of a Legacy

TheSpiritForge1
29th Mar 2015, 05:05
Greeting dwellers of Nosgoth. I am known as "TheSpiritforge1". An old Youtuber and LOK Enthusiast.

After my long absence to the forums and the silence on Nosgothic Realm. I Join you here.

So, Where should I start?. My fear for the future of this series?
Dead sun?

No. I'm gonna share with you my first experience with The Legacy of kain series.

I was a young lad when I first got a PlayStation 1. It was a brand new experience, a big change from playing sonic on the Sega Mega-drive.
That is when my mum bought me for my Birthday a strange as hell looking game. Soul Reaver
Let me be clear, I don't mind strange as in wtf is this. I mean strange as in, Holy sheeeeet this looks awesome.

So a few days later, crap tons of cola and square eyes from the tv. I watched Raziel Thrust himself into the Chloroplasts Portal.... My god.... I had just fallen in love.

From block puzzle to Block puzzle.
From Sluagh to Fledgling.
To the final battle with kain. It was video Game perfection.

Years later, the same experience with Blood omen 1. Soul Reaver 2. B.O2 ....AND THEN THE BASTARD OF A ENDING THAT WAS LOK DEFIANCE.

lol. Still Could have been worst. Moebious could still be alive.

My point in all this is . Legacy of Kain was perfect... The Voice acting... The Gameplay (Yes even the puzzles). and lets not forget, The wonderful story and lore of that mysterious land known as Nosgoth.

For years now Legacy of Kain has been silent... With Nosgoth opening the minds of others to delve into the universe, surely Square Enix you must see that we need a new Legacy of Kain. Not Dead Sun, Not Nosgoth. WE Need Kain...The pillars... The Legacy.

I leave you all to ponder over my words.
And ask you to share your experiences with one of the most treasured Saga's in Gaming History

See you on the forums, Ya filthy parasites :)

-John

CountEyokir
29th Mar 2015, 09:24
100% agree (except for block puzzles) . Nosgoth....well I'm just resigned these days to it. But Dead Sun was an utterly flawed and terrible concept that only the more desperate of fans would have welcomed. We want Kain back. We want to hear Simon Templeman once more.

(and anyone who says that the series can't continue because Tony Jay is dead, I will have to ask to step outside)

Ygdrasel
29th Mar 2015, 19:13
I read about Soul Calibur in a magazine. On a trip to Movie Gallery, I mistook "Soul Reaver 2" for the thing I had read. Rented it.

Loved it so much that when time came to return it, I swapped the disc with an old copy of Frogger.

Got impossibly stuck in Janos' retreat. Rented Soul Reaver. Swapped the discs. Kept Soul Reaver. Played through. Got stuck in Zephon's place, think it was a bug. Google and gamefaqs weren't big then.

Went back to MG, **** up a story about how I mistakenly swapped the games. Staff guy pried open the SR2 case, made the switch, and I beat SR2 later. Then went back and swapped again to beat SR1.

Later, I bought Blood Omen 2. Then Defiance. Loved both.

Years later, I'd buy Blood Omen cheap off Ebay and immediately find myself repelled by the isometric style and graphics. What in hell is THIS nonsense?

I tried to play it. I did. It sucked.

Recently grabbed the PC version (I believe in second chances) and found it repaired many of my problems. The load times were gone, combat was less slow and clunky...There were still weird hitbox flaws and a lack of clear feedback on connected attacks sometimes...But it was infinitely improved. Played through, loved it. Now I'm back to Soul Reaver again. Replaying the whole series both out of renewed adoration and to aid the construction of a timeline.

I also attempted to sequence break Blood Omen by cheating in all the pillar tokens. There is still testing to be done but the first attempt saw three or four pillars restored as soon as I arrived there. It halted after though.

BrandedHunter
6th Apr 2015, 18:43
Played Soul Reaver on PC way back when I was a kid, the cover art looked really inticing, the cinematics, Raziel and spirit sword soul reaver on one arm, the soul devouring, phasing through realms and then I tried LoK: Defiance, the voice acting, Balance Emblem, Cadaverous Laceration...Good ol' memories.

Morgiahs
6th Apr 2015, 23:31
100% agree (except for block puzzles) . Nosgoth....well I'm just resigned these days to it. But Dead Sun was an utterly flawed and terrible concept that only the more desperate of fans would have welcomed. We want Kain back. We want to hear Simon Templeman once more.

(and anyone who says that the series can't continue because Tony Jay is dead, I will have to ask to step outside)

I have to say I vehemently disagree to this. It's been an increasingly pet peeve of late with the LoK community when Dead sun is bashed, please can you tell me how Dead Sun was a utterly flawed and terrible concept? Based on what? all the information we have to go on is a couple of art renders, concept art and a 30 minute demo that was a vertical slice of gameplay.

Please do not bash something without first having full knowledge of how it plays out. Keep in mind Soul Reaver was bashed as well by the BO1 kids before they fell in love with it.

Uggabugg
7th Apr 2015, 17:19
i thought dead sun looked interesting, but i did not like elements of the vertical slice. like the boob, just what was up with that. another thing that made me skeptical is the attitude of the devs. they used a flawed fanmade timeline to convince the higher ups that a direct sequel was to complicated. but i do not think the game looked bad by any means.

source: http://theancientsden.blogspot.no/2015/02/the-anticlimactic-end-to-series-or-how.html

IKathaarI
7th Apr 2015, 21:02
it LOOKED cool but that was it for me, and honestly, looking at it now, it just looks like a copy of Shadow of Mordor, (despite being in development long before Mordor's release) to a scary extent. even still, would have loved to see those mechanics in a game more bound to the current, unfinished story arc we have Defiance, and if they can't be bothered to do that, for the love of god just reboot the damn franchise, it worked great for Tomb Raider and Hitman (can't say much about Thief) and Legacy of Kain can really use that kind of love, because frankly, most of the series was spent by the developers trying to find a combat system that felt fun and easy to use (defiance came close, but after a while even that became obscenely dull, but still better then 'spam Triangle with sword to beat anything and everything in SR2') That, along with having to dumb down Raziel's mechanics to make it feel the same as kain's (dying in the material realm is perma-death? really!?) bugged me the most about that game. Still, I loved the story and even enjoyed getting to play two separate characters.