PDA

View Full Version : Two Whales Diner | Off-topic Chat

Stellazira
28th Mar 2015, 03:30
Following the tradition of SE game boards having their own off-topic/random threads, I thought it would be nice if Life is Strange had its own thread.

You can discuss anything you like here with fellow Life is Strange players (obviously within forum rules! ;) ).

To get the ball rolling, what other games are you playing when you're not playing Life is Strange?

EternalAmbiguity
28th Mar 2015, 05:30
Well, let's see...I just booted up SimCity 4 Deluxe, before it crashed and I scurried to get a few choice modifications like a launcher with custom resolutions and such.

I recently began a new playthrough of The Witcher 2 in anticipation of the third game.

I recently finished DMC4, managing to protect Kyrie in the "epilogue."

I jumped into ME for a little while and finished up one of the random worlds (the one with the Thresher Maw trap + dead bodies lying around), before moving onto the map and mission where you recruit Liara.

Over the past week or so I've played a bit of Railroad Tycoon 3, the campaign on Hard, advancing through around ten missions so far (haven't beat them all, but I'm going through everything at least once first).

Also reinstalled Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 to try to get into that game, I never got into it when it came out.

I bought Jet Set Radio on Steam quite a while back, but after migrating to a new hard drive what little save info I had was lost, I only in the past couple days tried to play for a little while. However, when I returned to it, my progress hadn't been saved properly...

Also, played a few races of Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed yesterday evening.

That's all within the last week. Most of them I only dabbled in for an hour or two. I'll be honest, Life Is Strange is the only game I have capturing my attention right now. It's a terrible place to be in, with nearing-200-games on Steam (most given to me by a friend, bought cheap), but I'm a teensy bit bored. Little of what I have right now is capturing my attention.

I need another good Eidos third-person action-adventure title (or Deus Ex).

SmoothPingu
28th Mar 2015, 15:50
Following the tradition of SE game boards having their own off-topic/random threads, I thought it would be nice if Life is Strange had its own thread.

You can discuss anything you like here with fellow Life is Strange players (obviously within forum rules! ;) ).

To get the ball rolling, what other games are you playing when you're not playing Life is Strange?

Well, I play Broforce to make myself laugh because Life is Strange just messes up my emotions and THAT'S HORRIBLE!

Stellazira
29th Mar 2015, 02:55
I need another good Eidos third-person action-adventure title (or Deus Ex).

I am a HUGE fan of Human Revolution, which got worse when I went to FanExpo Vancouver two years in a row and Elias Toufexis (he voices Adam Jensen) recognized me the second year. I really like it and have played through it at least four times. I'm ashamed to say though whenever I try to play the first Deus Ex I keep getting stuck. :( I've been told that there's this trick to understanding the AI to be sneaky, but damned if I can figured it out.

EternalAmbiguity
29th Mar 2015, 03:14
I am a HUGE fan of Human Revolution, which got worse when I went to FanExpo Vancouver two years in a row and Elias Toufexis (he voices Adam Jensen) recognized me the second year. I really like it and have played through it at least four times. I'm ashamed to say though whenever I try to play the first Deus Ex I keep getting stuck. :( I've been told that there's this trick to understanding the AI to be sneaky, but damned if I can figured it out.

Well that's pretty neat.

I've only played the first level and a little bit of the "open map" of New York in the original Deus Ex, haven't been able to get into it. Never been too keen on first-person games. Human Revolution was a real exception though, marvelous game. I'm looking forward to where they go next with that (Dawn Engine looks gorgeous as might be expected).

zackdollars
29th Mar 2015, 04:10
Bacon Omlette or Belgian Waffle?

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/67/c2/46/67c246119de6dad7630a0d637a3a300a.jpg (http://www.katesvid.com/)

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2013/04/05/1226612/750297-bacon-omelette.jpg (http://www.katesvid.com/)

Stellazira
31st Mar 2015, 19:48
I can't decide. The omlette for breakfast and the waffles for lunch.

zackdollars
1st Apr 2015, 02:09
I can't decide. The omlette for breakfast and the waffles for lunch.
Wise choice. :thumb:

Driber
1st Apr 2015, 14:50
Not a big bacon fan, so it's Belgian waffle for me.

Star Trek or Star Wars? :)

Grimoire
1st Apr 2015, 15:30
Answer:
http://store.jp.square-enix.com/client_info/SQEX_ESTORE/itemimage/MSWPA001/FREE_ITEM117.jpg

zackdollars
2nd Apr 2015, 00:32
Not a big bacon fan, so it's Belgian waffle for me.

I've always felt that Star Trek would have never succeeded without William Shatner. So the internet has created a marriage made in heaven:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pfm-EJqqL6I/TNENmae9gnI/AAAAAAAABRM/1EzzGoSHgb0/s1600/Star+Trek+v+Star+Wars2.jpg

Stellazira
2nd Apr 2015, 03:05
^ I lol'd at that pic.

I was never a Star Trek fan, I stopped liking Star Wars, but Babylon 5 means everything to me. :p

Driber
2nd Apr 2015, 08:19
I've always felt that Star Trek would have never succeeded without William Shatner. So the internet has created a marriage made in heaven:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pfm-EJqqL6I/TNENmae9gnI/AAAAAAAABRM/1EzzGoSHgb0/s1600/Star+Trek+v+Star+Wars2.jpg

Ha, nice one :D

zackdollars
2nd Apr 2015, 21:14
^ I lol'd at that pic.

I was never a Star Trek fan, I stopped liking Star Wars, but Babylon 5 means everything to me. :p

I've always liked Star Wars more than Star Trek. The uber PC stuff in Star Trek was annoying.

If you haven't watched Star Wars: The Clone Wars, I've been addicted to it. Great series:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/9e6fa162d407b05bb4d58d3297d28f91/tumblr_mj1zsk7qPK1qjfk4wo1_r2_400.gif

Driber
2nd Apr 2015, 22:00
I've always liked Star Wars more than Star Trek. The uber PC stuff in Star Trek was annoying.

Star Trek was uber PC?! When? :scratch:

Stellazira
3rd Apr 2015, 00:31

If you haven't watched Star Wars: The Clone Wars, I've been addicted to it. Great series:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/9e6fa162d407b05bb4d58d3297d28f91/tumblr_mj1zsk7qPK1qjfk4wo1_r2_400.gif

I tried watching the CG Clone Wars. I couldn't stand the dialogue because I thought it was so bad. XD

Star Trek was uber PC?! When? :scratch:

I don't know what PC means. PC means computer as far as I know.

Driber
3rd Apr 2015, 00:42
^politically correct I'm assuming.

Stellazira
3rd Apr 2015, 00:48
Oh I see. I didn't watch a lot of Star Trek, but I could see it trying to be politically correct. You have a group of a bunch of different species all trying to respect each other, you don't want to be offending anyone.

zackdollars
3rd Apr 2015, 01:18
I did mean politically correct. Star Trek themes are mostly "learning how insensitive humans can be". Star Wars is more of a battle between good and evil. I think the main difference is that Gene Roddenberry doesn't believe that evil exists, and George Lucas does.

I tried watching the CG Clone Wars. I couldn't stand the dialogue because I thought it was so bad. XD

Sometimes Obi Wan and Anakin Skywalker sound dry in the first season, but the series just gets better and better. If you like Samurai Jack, you will like Clone Wars.

Driber
3rd Apr 2015, 14:08
Oh I see. I didn't watch a lot of Star Trek, but I could see it trying to be politically correct. You have a group of a bunch of different species all trying to respect each other, you don't want to be offending anyone.

So a diverse group of characters is by definition politically correctness?

I did mean politically correct. Star Trek themes are mostly "learning how insensitive humans can be". Star Wars is more of a battle between good and evil. I think the main difference is that Gene Roddenberry doesn't believe that evil exists, and George Lucas does.

The notion that we often see in Star Trek that we all are capable of doing good things as well as evil things is far more interesting than George Lucas' black-and-white cliche approach of inherently "good" vs "evil". With Star Wars the character roles are pretty much straight forward - Han is inherently good (although Han shot first (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_shot_first), Mr Lucas! :rasp:) and Dark Vader is inherently evil. After a few films that theme just becomes repetitive and boring. Star Trek on the other hand has a wide gradient of good and evil, and often the usually perceived "good" characters turn evil. That's nothing to do with politically correctness, but just a different way of story-telling.

At least that's how I see it :)

TheEmissary
3rd Apr 2015, 16:30
Political correctness is probably the wrong term, but Star Trek is sometimes pretty direct at telling you what's right and what isn't, especially TNG. And Roddenberry's concept of an improved humanity isn't particularly interesting either. That changed only after his influence on the franchise diminished. DS9 wouldn't have been possible with Roddenberry at the helm.

Stellazira
3rd Apr 2015, 20:28
So a diverse group of characters is by definition politically correctness?

Not at all. I guess I'm doing a poor job of explaining. I guess more groups means more opportunities to be politically incorrect, making it more difficult to be respectful to everyone. Finding ways to respect everyone could provide useful lessons.

Idk. I never really watched Star Trek so maybe I should just be quiet. :p

EternalAmbiguity
3rd Apr 2015, 21:21

I've never watched either, but Star Wars always seemed like the more realized universe to me.

And KotOR. That really says it all.

Stellazira
6th Apr 2015, 03:10
Finished the day at FanExpo!

http://i.imgur.com/Tu13PzA.jpg

I wanted to learn how to make armour so I went to a panel. I wish I had the time and the funds to start tackling something like that. I want to learn how to make Legion Commander:

http://i.imgur.com/UPGFSKI.jpg
More pics in album: http://imgur.com/a/prcfH#0

Driber
6th Apr 2015, 21:33
Political correctness is probably the wrong term, but Star Trek is sometimes pretty direct at telling you what's right and what isn't, especially TNG.

Star Wars doesn't try to tell the audience what's right and what's wrong? :scratch:

And Roddenberry's concept of an improved humanity isn't particularly interesting either. That changed only after his influence on the franchise diminished. DS9 wouldn't have been possible with Roddenberry at the helm.

I don't really place any importance of who was at the helm (in the figurative sense that is, heh). I'm not sure I'm following you regarding "improved humanity"; the characters still had many flaws and shortcomings. I think TNG and Voyager were the best series in the franchise. Tried watching a bunch of DS9 episodes but just couldn't get into it. It had little appeal to me.

Not at all. I guess I'm doing a poor job of explaining. I guess more groups means more opportunities to be politically incorrect, making it more difficult to be respectful to everyone. Finding ways to respect everyone could provide useful lessons.

Idk. I never really watched Star Trek so maybe I should just be quiet. :p

No, please, do join in. Love to hear as many opinions as possible :)

Though I am afraid I'm still not sure what you're trying to say :o

I've never watched either, but Star Wars always seemed like the more realized universe to me.

And KotOR. That really says it all.

What exactly do you mean by "realized"? :scratch:

EternalAmbiguity
6th Apr 2015, 23:34
What exactly do you mean by "realized"? :scratch:

Sorry, I sometimes use slightly arcane word definitions.

Realize (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/realize):to cause (something) to become real

Basically it feels more real to me. From what little I know of Star Trek, it seems it was designed as a narrative and not a world (or galaxy--you get my point). My favorite game developer is Bioware because they build worlds, they don't just make game plots. Mass Effect puts Shepard in a "living, breathing" galaxy that has tons of interesting stuff going on outside of him, showcased by a deep "codex" database detailing dozens of things that have nothing to do with stopping the Reapers but flesh out the game world.

The Force, Light/Dark Side, Jedi and Sith, and so on--these are things designed to flesh out a universe, not just provoke an immediate narrative.

How many elements of Star Trek remain between episodes? Seasons?

Edit: Unrelated statement: For some reason I feel like I had an account here BEFORE October of 2013, but the forums were updated and I had to re-register or something. I'm probably crazy. Just looking at Grimoire's post and thinking, there's no way that he/she joined in 2013...

ScottBlows
7th Apr 2015, 08:01
Hello everyone! Nice to see this thread kicking off, funnily enough I watched both of the JJ Abrams Star Trek films over the weekend. Great movies!

TheEmissary
7th Apr 2015, 14:00
Star Wars doesn't try to tell the audience what's right and what's wrong? :scratch:They don't have to, it's too obvious.

I don't really place any importance of who was at the helm (in the figurative sense that is, heh). I'm not sure I'm following you regarding "improved humanity"; the characters still had many flaws and shortcomings. I think TNG and Voyager were the best series in the franchise. Tried watching a bunch of DS9 episodes but just couldn't get into it. It had little appeal to me.Roddenberry designed the Federation as a utopian society. There was hardly any conflict between the characters and the Federation could do no wrong. And in case someone actually did something questionable, it usually happened to teach a lesson.

All that changed in DS9. The Starfleet officers still acted exemplary for the most part, but there was a lot more conflict and they introduced several other characters who weren't bound by Federation principles. And during the Dominion War even Starfleet and/or individual Starfleet officers played as dirty as it gets.

Basically it feels more real to me. From what little I know of Star Trek, it seems it was designed as a narrative and not a world (or galaxy--you get my point).

[...]

How many elements of Star Trek remain between episodes? Seasons?It depends on the series.

"The Original Series", "The Next Generation" and "Voyager" feature essentially only stand alone episodes and not a lot of character development, if any.

"Deep Space Nine" has a couple of story arcs and the most character development of any Trek series. Most episodes are still stand alone, though. And since it's about a stationary space station, there is a lot more room for world building.

"Enterprise" starts with two seasons of stand alone episodes, the third season follows a single story arc and the fourth season consists mostly of multi-part episodes.

Driber
8th Apr 2015, 12:18
Let's see...

Sponge cake or apple pie? :)

Sorry, I sometimes use slightly arcane word definitions.

Realize (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/realize):to cause (something) to become real

Basically it feels more real to me. From what little I know of Star Trek, it seems it was designed as a narrative and not a world (or galaxy--you get my point). My favorite game developer is Bioware because they build worlds, they don't just make game plots. Mass Effect puts Shepard in a "living, breathing" galaxy that has tons of interesting stuff going on outside of him, showcased by a deep "codex" database detailing dozens of things that have nothing to do with stopping the Reapers but flesh out the game world.

The Force, Light/Dark Side, Jedi and Sith, and so on--these are things designed to flesh out a universe, not just provoke an immediate narrative.

Thanks for clarifying your POV. I don't necessarily agree with you on everything, but I understand better what you meant now :)

How many elements of Star Trek remain between episodes? Seasons?

Depends on what kind of elements you mean. There are reoccurring themes and enemies throughout the seasons of TNG and Voyager. And some characters undergo constant character development from episode to episode.

Edit: Unrelated statement: For some reason I feel like I had an account here BEFORE October of 2013, but the forums were updated and I had to re-register or something. I'm probably crazy. Just looking at Grimoire's post and thinking, there's no way that he/she joined in 2013...

These are not the old SE America forums, but posts and accounts from that forum were imported here. Same with the Eidos Forums.

They don't have to, it's too obvious.

Apparently it wasn't too obvious to Lucas if he had to redo his films, heh.

Seriously, though, I agree it's obvious. But I would say the same about Star Trek, despite what Roddenberry thinks. It's just that with Star Trek you get thrown curve balls. Which I personally find more interesting than the cliche inherently good vs inherently bad.

Roddenberry designed the Federation as a utopian society. There was hardly any conflict between the characters and the Federation could do no wrong.

I don't agree with that conclusion. There was plenty of conflict between the characters in Star Trek. You're right that the Federation was designed to be utopian-like, though. But that sure didn't stop there being a lot of conflict between the people flying under the same Federation flag.

All that changed in DS9. The Starfleet officers still acted exemplary for the most part

Well, high ranking officers usually do, yes. That's part of their job.

"The Original Series", "The Next Generation" and "Voyager" feature essentially only stand alone episodes and not a lot of character development, if any.

I don't agree with the conclusion that there was little to none character development in Star Trek. I think a more accurate statement would be that the Star Wars films saw fast character development (because Lucas was forced to do it that way, as you can do only so much in a few feature films) whereas in Star Trek the character development happened at a much slower pace, giving it merely the impression that there is little to none.

Grimoire
8th Apr 2015, 18:54
He joined the SE Members site as soon as it went online (2008) and prefers apple pie.

Driber
8th Apr 2015, 20:33
With or without whipped cream on top? :)

Grimoire
8th Apr 2015, 20:55
Without - but with all the more apples in it.

Stellazira
8th Apr 2015, 21:00
THERE'S A NEW DEUS EX GAME AND I'M SO EXCITED!!!

I haven't been excited about a game in ages. This is a big deal for me. :p

I also like apple pie with or without whipped cream. :)

EternalAmbiguity
8th Apr 2015, 21:18
A ha! That was it. The switch from America to European. I remember now. I waited to re-register my account. Thanks.

I don't like sweets very much, so neither for me.

And more Deus Ex is always good. Looks like I inadvertently called it :P

Thanks for clarifying your POV. I don't necessarily agree with you on everything, but I understand better what you meant now :)

Depends on what kind of elements you mean. There are reoccurring themes and enemies throughout the seasons of TNG and Voyager. And some characters undergo constant character development from episode to episode.

I'm not talking about concepts and themes, I'm talking about actual in-world elements.

Are the different seasons and series...es(?) set in the same universe? Or are they different universes, essentially a "reboot" of the franchise? Because if it's the latter, it's less realized--you've got half a dozen different "canons" or "continuities" all running along with different information about the alien races, about the human race (the Federation, is it?).

It's a problem I initially found off-putting about Final Fantasy before 2009 when I experienced XIII and saw the magnificent world they created.

(well, let's be honest, I found it off-putting until I saw that poster of Light up at Gamestop months before and I was like, wow! I need this game :P)

Star Wars (at least until Disney showed up) was a single universe with a single canon. Granted weaker for the "extended universe," but still one universe.

Driber
8th Apr 2015, 21:37
A ha! That was it. The switch from America to European. I remember now. I waited to re-register my account. Thanks.

NP :)

I don't like sweets very much, so neither for me.

Hmm, then you must be into salty things?

So... Doritos or Lays?

I'm not talking about concepts and themes, I'm talking about actual in-world elements.

Are the different seasons and series...es(?) set in the same universe? Or are they different universes, essentially a "reboot" of the franchise? Because if it's the latter, it's less realized--you've got half a dozen different "canons" or "continuities" all running along with different information about the alien races, about the human race (the Federation, is it?).

It's a problem I initially found off-putting about Final Fantasy before 2009 when I experienced XIII and saw the magnificent world they created.

(well, let's be honest, I found it off-putting until I saw that poster of Light up at Gamestop months before and I was like, wow! I need this game :P)

Star Wars (at least until Disney showed up) was a single universe with a single canon. Granted weaker for the "extended universe," but still one universe.

Ah right, I see what you mean now. Yes, the Star Trek universe is quite consistent as far as I know. At least the older series were, I'm not sure how it is with the recent reboot films.

In fact, there were a bunch of cross-overs in TNG, DS9 and Voyager from what I recall. I believe the ship's doctor in Voyager originally came from the space station in DS9. Then there's the Borg who made many appearances in both TNG and Voyager, with Voyager even having an ex-Borg main character. And in one of the films, Generations, William Shatner (TOS) and Patrick Stewart (TNG) co-starred.

Grimoire
8th Apr 2015, 21:59
Doritos or Lays - OLW (sour cream and onion to be more precise).
http://semna8.webs.com/Vergil_2.jpg

EternalAmbiguity
8th Apr 2015, 22:26
Hmm, then you must be into salty things?

So... Doritos or Lays?

I really don't eat "snacks" or otherwise "extraneous" food at all unless I'm particularly hungry. So I wouldn't say I'm "into" any particular kind of food, I just for some reason never had the slightest interest in cake or pie and such.

Doritoes, though. Nacho Cheese. I remember once in school I ate four bags (the small ones) of Cool Ranch in the span of 10 minutes, don't think I've touched them since :P As far as Lays, for some reason I never found their salt-and-vinegar (you ARE kinda right there, heh) or their "basic" chips to be super good--eatable in a pinch, but I'd usually skip 'em.

Ah right, I see what you mean now. Yes, the Star Trek universe is quite consistent as far as I know. At least the older series were, I'm not sure how it is with the recent reboot films.

In fact, there were a bunch of cross-overs in TNG, DS9 and Voyager from what I recall. I believe the ship's doctor in Voyager originally came from the space station in DS9. Then there's the Borg who made many appearances in both TNG and Voyager, with Voyager even having an ex-Borg main character. And in one of the films, Generations, William Shatner (TOS) and Patrick Stewart (TNG) co-starred.

Alright, cool. That's definitely a point in its favor.

Stellazira
9th Apr 2015, 02:51
I can't say I like Doritos - there's just something about them that I don't like. I'll eat Lays, but I prefer other brands.

Dark or milk chocolate?

ScottBlows
9th Apr 2015, 10:53
Doritos all the way. In England Lays are called Walkers ;)

Driber
9th Apr 2015, 15:25
Doritos or Lays - OLW (sour cream and onion to be more precise).
http://semna8.webs.com/Vergil_2.jpg

Good choice! I love sour cream and onion. Albeit from Lays.

http://www.fritolay.com/images/default-source/blue-bag-image/lays-sour-cream-onion.png?sfvrsn=2

I can't say I like Doritos - there's just something about them that I don't like. I'll eat Lays, but I prefer other brands.

Dark or milk chocolate?

Milk chocolate for me. Or white.

WhiteCopy
9th Apr 2015, 15:47
Funny thread, I can't resist :)
Same for me, Milk chocolate or white.
Supreme damnation this one :
http://media.simplymarket.fr/PHOTO2/7622210/142115.jpg
add good coffee = paradise !

Star Wars or Star Trek... none or both. Depending of my mood. But "Alien" is a better choice for me ;)

Grimoire
9th Apr 2015, 16:00
I concur: I like my chocolate white.

TheEmissary
9th Apr 2015, 17:11
Seriously, though, I agree it's obvious. But I would say the same about Star Trek, despite what Roddenberry thinks. It's just that with Star Trek you get thrown curve balls. Which I personally find more interesting than the cliche inherently good vs inherently bad.Inherently good or inherently bad characters are usually not very interesting, yes, but I don't mind the characters in the OT. It's a fairy tale in space and the characters work very well in it.
The PT, unfortunately, is a different matter.

I don't agree with that conclusion. There was plenty of conflict between the characters in Star Trek. You're right that the Federation was designed to be utopian-like, though. But that sure didn't stop there being a lot of conflict between the people flying under the same Federation flag.I don't remeber much conflict. Sure, they didn't always share an opinion, but it rarely resulted in anything more than an academic discussion. And it's not just that. The characters are all stiff and way too cerebral.

Well, high ranking officers usually do, yes. That's part of their job.Yes, but it's also boring. Having characters like Quark, Garak and even Major Kira is a big plus.

I don't agree with the conclusion that there was little to none character development in Star Trek. I think a more accurate statement would be that the Star Wars films saw fast character development (because Lucas was forced to do it that way, as you can do only so much in a few feature films) whereas in Star Trek the character development happened at a much slower pace, giving it merely the impression that there is little to none.It's not much. They tried it with Data, the Doctor and Seven, but that's basically it. Most characters stayed exactly the same, from the first to the last episode. Just compare it with the heavily serialized shows of the last decade.

Don't get me wrong, I like Star Trek and I like TNG, but it's far from perfect.

In fact, there were a bunch of cross-overs in TNG, DS9 and Voyager from what I recall. I believe the ship's doctor in Voyager originally came from the space station in DS9. Then there's the Borg who made many appearances in both TNG and Voyager, with Voyager even having an ex-Borg main character. And in one of the films, Generations, William Shatner (TOS) and Patrick Stewart (TNG) co-starred.Yes, there are several crossovers. The Doctor isn't from DS9 (there might have been a similiar hologram in one or two episodes). O'Brien (season 1-7) and Worf (seasons 4-7) from TNG joined the Cast of DS9, though.

Ripax5
10th Apr 2015, 09:45
Dark chocolate for me:
http://www.kopenhagen.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/tablete_amargo_85g-474x325.png

Stellazira
10th Apr 2015, 14:41
I like some dark chocolates as long as they aren't too "dark", but I'm mostly a milk chocolate person.

So one class is finished for the semester which is really nice. I have two more and then it's summer. :D

EternalAmbiguity
10th Apr 2015, 23:47
I like some dark chocolates as long as they aren't too "dark", but I'm mostly a milk chocolate person.

So one class is finished for the semester which is really nice. I have two more and then it's summer. :D

Undergrad?

Stellazira
11th Apr 2015, 01:06
Yeah. I can't wait to get my degree.

EternalAmbiguity
11th Apr 2015, 15:49
Nice. I got mine last year, took a year off, and I'm headed back this fall to get my master's.

zackdollars
12th Apr 2015, 04:14
Speaking of Doritos, there was a contest called "Unlock Xbox". You could submit an idea, and they would consider developing a game based on it. Doritos broke their own rules, and picked whatever they wanted. A huge waste of time. But, I thought my idea was cool. It was low budget, so I proposed an on-rails shooter with hot babes and a basic plot.

Here was my submission in 2007:

http://i60.tinypic.com/bdsitw.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/5oh3rd.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/vdcrpc.jpg

Stellazira
12th Apr 2015, 17:12
Nice. I got mine last year, took a year off, and I'm headed back this fall to get my master's.

I've been taking it slow so as not to stress myself out too much and go into debt, but I just really want to finish now and get a job that pays well. It's going to start getting annoying now since a few of the courses I need are only available once a year. :(

Driber
12th Apr 2015, 22:29
Having characters like Quark, Garak and even Major Kira is a big plus.

Meh, didn't like Quark at all. Granted, I didn't see all that many episodes of DS9, but his character always put me off whenever the show was on. Too sleazy.

O'Brien (season 1-7) and Worf (seasons 4-7) from TNG joined the Cast of DS9, though.

Ah yeah I remember seeing O'Brien on DS9. Didn't know about Worf, though. Interesting.

Speaking of Doritos, there was a contest called "Unlock Xbox". You could submit an idea, and they would consider developing a game based on it. Doritos broke their own rules, and picked whatever they wanted. A huge waste of time. But, I thought my idea was cool. It was low budget, so I proposed an on-rails shooter with hot babes and a basic plot.

Here was my submission in 2007:

http://i60.tinypic.com/bdsitw.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/5oh3rd.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/vdcrpc.jpg

Nice drawing skills you have. Your work kind of reminds me of Heavy Metal, heh.

Have you done any TR art work? :)

zackdollars
13th Apr 2015, 01:40
Nice drawing skills you have. Your work kind of reminds me of Heavy Metal, heh.
Have you done any TR art work?

Thanks! No. I haven't done any TR fan art. I do love Lara though. I would enjoy drawing her. Maybe I'll try that someday.

TheEmissary
13th Apr 2015, 12:17
Ah yeah I remember seeing O'Brien on DS9. Didn't know about Worf, though. Interesting.That's why Worf was in command of the Defiant at the beginning of First Contact. The Defiant, initially designed to fight the Borg and Starfleet's first true warship, was stationed at DS9 and used in the Dominion War (thank God, no Borg in DS9).

ScottBlows
13th Apr 2015, 12:58
Just going to put this out there..... Game of Thrones

Ripax5
13th Apr 2015, 17:37
Winter is comming! It is back, the TV series at least... Still waiting the book.

Stellazira
14th Apr 2015, 02:17
I... I watched the first two seasons of Game of Thrones and don't think it was that good. I have no interest in watching the rest or touching the books. :x

EternalAmbiguity
14th Apr 2015, 03:57
I've been taking it slow so as not to stress myself out too much and go into debt, but I just really want to finish now and get a job that pays well. It's going to start getting annoying now since a few of the courses I need are only available once a year. :(

I know how that feels. I wound up going to school every summer to get done in four years (though to be fair I did a dual major so I had more than the typical number of classes), even took a class at another college in the summer because it was a pre-req for a class in the fall.

Driber
14th Apr 2015, 13:54
I... I watched the first two seasons of Game of Thrones and don't think it was that good. I have no interest in watching the rest or touching the books. :x

I'm with ya, Stellazira. People kept on recommending Games of Thrones and it's constantly everywhere in the news, so a few months ago I decided to finally give in and check out the show. Well, I watched the first few eps, and it looked interesting but it didn't live up the hype so far. So then people were telling me "ahh just get through the first few introductory eps, then it gets REALLY awesome". Well, I'm well into the second season as of this point, and.... so far I'm still not getting that "hooked" feeling that everyone else who's raving about the show seems to be feeling.

So yeah... I really don't get what's the big deal about Games of Thrones :/

TheEmissary
14th Apr 2015, 16:50
So yeah... I really don't get what's the big deal about Games of Thrones :/Gratuitous nudity and gore ;)

I read the first book and generally like the show, but I agree, the hype is not really justified. Some storylines are great, but others just boring and overall the series feels too unfocused.

Driber
14th Apr 2015, 17:02
The nudity and gore does make GoT more interesting than if it were left out, but I'm starting to think that that is indeed the main reason why the show is so much hyped :/

WhiteCopy
14th Apr 2015, 17:59
Well, everyday we see this on tv... nothing really extraordinary.
This is not the point here in this series. I watched the first episode when it came out and was scotched first by the generic that I find amazingly well done. Second, the photography is also incredible, lights and backdrops so perfect, and a surprising scenario. Yes, you see nudity and gore but it is for me contributing for the atmosphere, loud, strange and unhealthy.
(oups, hope my English is understandable...)

EternalAmbiguity
15th Apr 2015, 04:16
One person I used to know on a different forum pointed out that GoT specializes in intrigue.

I wouldn't know, since I haven't watched it.

Stellazira
19th Apr 2015, 02:35
I'm with ya, Stellazira. People kept on recommending Games of Thrones and it's constantly everywhere in the news, so a few months ago I decided to finally give in and check out the show. Well, I watched the first few eps, and it looked interesting but it didn't live up the hype so far. So then people were telling me "ahh just get through the first few introductory eps, then it gets REALLY awesome". Well, I'm well into the second season as of this point, and.... so far I'm still not getting that "hooked" feeling that everyone else who's raving about the show seems to be feeling.

I got to the end of the second season with that cliffhanger and I said something along the lines of "yay! It's over and I can watch something else now!" instead of "gimme the next season!"

Gratuitous nudity and gore ;)

I read the first book and generally like the show, but I agree, the hype is not really justified. Some storylines are great, but others just boring and overall the series feels too unfocused.

Nudity and gore do not make shows good. These shows get attention because it's taboo to have these topics show up a lot in shows. Nudity is something for more mature audiences, and since you have to "age gate" these shows somehow through a channel subscription or parental controls. It's something that parents usually don't want their kids to see when they're young, which is understandable, but at the same time everybody knows 100% what's under clothes about half of the time, so really, is there anything really surprising under there? Nudity is this weird thing that people make too much of a fuss about sometimes. As for gore, excessive amounts is distasteful... in a medical situation it can be required for authenticity, but gore for the sake of gore is silly.

The nudity and gore does make GoT more interesting than if it were left out, but I'm starting to think that that is indeed the main reason why the show is so much hyped :/

They don't need to be "shown off". The story should be the most important thing, and good stories are really hard to come by these days.

Game of Thrones is not one of those shows. It just feels like a fantasy soap opera.

Driber
19th Apr 2015, 09:44

You see nudity every day on TV? What kind of channels are you watching, Playboy TV? :D

I would definitely say it's extraordinary. Otherwise there wouldn't be such a huge controversy about GoT because of it's nudity.

This is not the point here in this series. I watched the first episode when it came out and was scotched first by the generic that I find amazingly well done. Second, the photography is also incredible, lights and backdrops so perfect, and a surprising scenario. Yes, you see nudity and gore but it is for me contributing for the atmosphere, loud, strange and unhealthy.
(oups, hope my English is understandable...)

U-huh, and people buy Playboy magazine for the interviews and photos of nice landscapes.

Let's be real here, GoT wouldn't be where GoT is today if it wasn't for the massive amount of nudity. Sure, the show itself has a high production quality, which surely helps sell it more than it was cheaply made. But I don't buy the idea that the nudity is just some accidental side thing.

One person I used to know on a different forum pointed out that GoT specializes in intrigue.

I wouldn't know, since I haven't watched it.

Hmm I think I would agree with that. GoT indeed covers a lot of fascinating conspiracies and scheming (which are the same thing, as Tyrion Lannister would say :D) and taboos. Rape, incest, backstabbing, nudity, power abuse... all taboos which draws in a big crowd.

You could say it's basically a soap opera cranked up to 11.

I got to the end of the second season with that cliffhanger and I said something along the lines of "yay! It's over and I can watch something else now!" instead of "gimme the next season!"

Ha, yes, they do get you with those nasty cliffhangers, don't they :D

Nudity and gore do not make shows good. These shows get attention because it's taboo to have these topics show up a lot in shows. Nudity is something for more mature audiences, and since you have to "age gate" these shows somehow through a channel subscription or parental controls. It's something that parents usually don't want their kids to see when they're young, which is understandable, but at the same time everybody knows 100% what's under clothes about half of the time, so really, is there anything really surprising under there? Nudity is this weird thing that people make too much of a fuss about sometimes. As for gore, excessive amounts is distasteful... in a medical situation it can be required for authenticity, but gore for the sake of gore is silly.

[...]

They don't need to be "shown off". The story should be the most important thing, and good stories are really hard to come by these days.

Game of Thrones is not one of those shows. It just feels like a fantasy soap opera.

I myself don't mind that they "show off" either gore or nudity in GoT. I come from a country where there are little taboos; our TV shows have had nudity and many other stereotypically "controversial" content for decades and no one makes a big deal about it, so I guess it just comes naturally to me. But I think you're right; if it wasn't for society's prude (and often puritanical) view regarding nudity and sex, I'm sure the show wouldn't have become as big as it has.

WhiteCopy
19th Apr 2015, 10:10
You see nudity every day on TV? What kind of channels are you watching, Playboy TV? :D

I would definitely say it's extraordinary. Otherwise there wouldn't be such a huge controversy about GoT because of it's nudity.

U-huh, and people buy Playboy magazine for the interviews and photos of nice landscapes.

Let's be real here, GoT wouldn't be where GoT is today if it wasn't for the massive amount of nudity. Sure, the show itself has a high production quality, which surely helps sell it more than it was cheaply made. But I don't buy the idea that the nudity is just some accidental side thing.

Well, just take a look at publicity on TV... There's a little confusion here between nudity and sex.
This series is ultra realist, maybe too much for his detractors ? And like you, I don't think nudity is an accidental side thing, it is a part of the show, it couldn't be without it. I don't think people massively look at it just for this. And no, I'm not looking at it just for nudity :)
I'm so angry to be so stupid when I try to express myself in English...
I mean, you're right in what you're saying but what is boring me, really, it's that in 2015, we are always talking about nudity as if it was horrible and I do not understand why a so "normal thing" is so demonized. This society is in regression years after years.
Free violence for me is more chocking then nudity.

Driber
19th Apr 2015, 11:03
Well, just take a look at publicity on TV... There's a little confusion here between nudity and sex.
This series is ultra realist, maybe too much for his detractors ? And like you, I don't think nudity is an accidental side thing, it is a part of the show, it couldn't be without it. I don't think people massively look at it just for this. And no, I'm not looking at it just for nudity :)
I'm so angry to be so stupid when I try to express myself in English...
I mean, you're right in what you're saying but what is boring me, really, it's that in 2015, we are always talking about nudity as if it was horrible and I do not understand why a so "normal thing" is so demonized. This society is in regression years after years.
Free violence for me is more chocking then nudity.

You're not stupid. English is not my native language, either. Miscommunication happens, it's normal :)

Oh I absolutely agree that there are crazy double standards when it comes to violence vs nudity/sex in society and in the media in particular. And you're right, it's completely backwards that something as normal and harmless as nudity/sex is demonized so much while something as harmful as violence (real violence, that is) is glamorized so much.

And I think you might be onto something about GoT perhaps being too realistic for its detractors. I didn't think of that. Good point.

Stellazira
19th Apr 2015, 17:17
I myself don't mind that they "show off" either gore or nudity in GoT. I come from a country where there are little taboos; our TV shows have had nudity and many other stereotypically "controversial" content for decades and no one makes a big deal about it, so I guess it just comes naturally to me. But I think you're right; if it wasn't for society's prude (and often puritanical) view regarding nudity and sex, I'm sure the show wouldn't have become as big as it has.

Here in North America, nudity and gore aren't really seen in "mainstream" shows. They're either going to be on really late at night (if at all, on some channels) or you'll have to get a subscription to see that channel. I find it kind of weird here: people don't mind watching a show such as GoT to see this stuff, but to be shown it unexpectedly? "HOW DARE YOU DO THAT!!!" or something along those lines. I don't recall seeing many naked butts in NA programming. I find it weird that people here seem to say "OMG a naked butt" when it's something EVERYONE has. I feel that nudity shouldn't be a big deal, but society here makes it so.

Gore is another thing. I've taken a few first aid courses (lower level, minor stuff mostly) and there are some stories instructors have that they don't tell and they tell you this. People can be affected by gore so I don't think it should be everywhere. Bad stuff happens in wars; gore is a part of that. Glorifying it is not cool.

WhiteCopy
19th Apr 2015, 20:45
Gore is another thing. I've taken a few first aid courses (lower level, minor stuff mostly) and there are some stories instructors have that they don't tell and they tell you this. People can be affected by gore so I don't think it should be everywhere. Bad stuff happens in wars; gore is a part of that. Glorifying it is not cool.

I don't think GoT is glorifying gore. But go on TV News... Difference is that here, this is the real life, real story with real people. Most of the time, truth can be stranger than fiction.
GoT is just a fiction, a good one for me. Some can enjoy to watch it or some can find it disturbing and just cut their TV and do something more fun for them. We always have the choice. Here this series is forbidden for less than 12 years old. This kind of things makes me smile... Now they have to invent the TV who detects that you have less than 12 and stops immediately the program ! :D... And it means nothing, you can have 60 and be shocked by this series!
GoT doesn't make the apology of war, it's a fiction, a hard one, in a barbarian context with others considerations and values (hum... not sure about that :)) The story is a drama, not a comedy. Images are cruel, hard, but it's not "Barbie at the beach"... it's GoT.
At school here, History program, we see a documentary about Auchwitz, after that, you see GoT as a wonderful world... But GoT is a fiction.
Talking of which, few games are more gore than GoT no?

WhiteCopy
20th Apr 2015, 11:04
English is not my native language, either.

And now, I am highly complexed :D

Monkor
20th Apr 2015, 21:13

I think the main appeal is that it's not your typical story where you follow the protagonist around and see how they make everything better. I really enjoy the story in that it's not so easily predictable, and perhaps that's the realism you mention.

There is no hero, there is no villain; there's just people, and they are all trying to survive based on their morals. For some it works out better than others. :)

EternalAmbiguity
22nd Apr 2015, 05:01
I think the main appeal is that it's not your typical story where you follow the protagonist around and see how they make everything better. I really enjoy the story in that it's not so easily predictable, and perhaps that's the realism you mention.

There is no hero, there is no villain; there's just people, and they are all trying to survive based on their morals. For some it works out better than others. :)

From what little I know (I don't watch television at all, I've caught a few shows here and there), "that" (no central protagonist changing the world) is not unprecedented. Look at all the vampire films and series', they're anti-heroes at best and they never "change the world."

I think a big part of it is the intrigue. It was twice called a "soap opera" above, and as a soap it's in a pretty unique position--political relationships instead of romantic ones--well, PLUS romantic ones :P, and with a larger-than-life "set"--rather than a few women in New York City, it's kings and queens or their equivalent. Combined with the so-called nudity and violence of course.

Grimoire
24th Apr 2015, 11:08
I enjoyed Xena: Warrior Princess. Joxer was a funny guy.

WhiteCopy
24th Apr 2015, 11:21
I enjoyed Xena: Warrior Princess. Joxer was a funny guy.

I've never watched it, don't know why... There's a new series in France that I enjoy it's "Peplum", a comedy, not serious at all but I like anachronisms inside it :)

Driber
24th Apr 2015, 16:16
Okay folks, since the discussion is all about TV shows, I gotta ask... who here has watched (or is watching) Breaking Bad? And what do you all think?

To me, BB was one of the best shows I've ever watched. Absolutely loved it :worship:

I find it kind of weird here: people don't mind watching a show such as GoT to see this stuff, but to be shown it unexpectedly? "HOW DARE YOU DO THAT!!!" or something along those lines. I don't recall seeing many naked butts in NA programming. I find it weird that people here seem to say "OMG a naked butt" when it's something EVERYONE has. I feel that nudity shouldn't be a big deal, but society here makes it so.

Oh it's because of religion. I'm sure of it. We used to be pretty religious in my country, too, but religion has been able to naturally phrase out here, and now we're one of the most non-religious, secular countries in the world. But in America religion has likely stuck around for so long and so strongly because it has become big business and it's heavily politicized. And with religion always comes prudishness about sex and nudity.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by being shown nudity "unexpectedly", though. Can you give an example?

And do you mean that because people already know that GoT is full of nudity they are therefore okay with it? Because that sure isn't what I've seen. Just last year I've heard people lose their minds over GoT contents. And with the new season upon us, I'm sure we'll see a whole bunch of (fake) outrage again this yeah as well :whistle:

The reason I don't have a problem with gore either is because as an adult I can differentiate between real life gore and movie gore. I watched The Human Centipede. Pretty disgusting, sure, but I'm not affected by it because my brain can tell it's fictional. I agree that it shouldn't be everywhere, though. But neither should nudity and sex. It would be inappropriate for a 7 year old to watch a porn movie, just like it would be inappropriate for a 7 year old to watch THC.

I don't think GoT is glorifying gore. But go on TV News...

Well I guess "glorifying" is not the correct term. TV shows, films, or even news as you mentioned, aren't really glorifying sex/violence/gore/etc. Perhaps a better term would be "depicting".

GoT is just a fiction, a good one for me. Some can enjoy to watch it or some can find it disturbing and just cut their TV and do something more fun for them. We always have the choice.

Gotta agree with that, yeah. If something is not your cup of tea, you're not forced to watch it, so no harm done and no reason to get all offended by it :)

Here this series is forbidden for less than 12 years old. This kind of things makes me smile... Now they have to invent the TV who detects that you have less than 12 and stops immediately the program ! :D

I think Microsoft is working on that, haha.

... And it means nothing, you can have 60 and be shocked by this series!

That's true, but I do think it makes sense to have age limits for certain content.

GoT doesn't make the apology of war, it's a fiction, a hard one, in a barbarian context with others considerations and values (hum... not sure about that :)) The story is a drama, not a comedy. Images are cruel, hard, but it's not "Barbie at the beach"... it's GoT.
At school here, History program, we see a documentary about Auchwitz, after that, you see GoT as a wonderful world... But GoT is a fiction.

Oh definitely. Watching GoT is nothing compared to some of real life's gruesomeness :/

Talking of which, few games are more gore than GoT no?

I think there are a lot of gory videogames. There seems to be a trend lately towards gore in games. Even the latest Tomb Raider game has become pretty damn gory to the point where even I was put off by some scenes :/

And now, I am highly complexed :D

lol, why's that?

As EternalAmbiguity mentioned, GoT not having a central protagonist changing the world is not the thing that makes it so special, I think. Other shows have done this before GoT. But I think you have a point about the unpredictability. Characters are able to be killed off in an instant from what I've seen so far, which I think is less common in other popular shows. I for one certainly did not expect Eddard Stark to be killed off, especially already in the first season, heh.

That's true :)

From what little I know (I don't watch television at all, I've caught a few shows here and there), "that" (no central protagonist changing the world) is not unprecedented. Look at all the vampire films and series', they're anti-heroes at best and they never "change the world."

I think a big part of it is the intrigue. It was twice called a "soap opera" above, and as a soap it's in a pretty unique position--political relationships instead of romantic ones--well, PLUS romantic ones :P, and with a larger-than-life "set"--rather than a few women in New York City, it's kings and queens or their equivalent. Combined with the so-called nudity and violence of course.

Yeah I think that pretty much nails it in terms of why people watch it. Though, again, I still can't relate to people raving about the show like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. That credit would most definitely have to go to the aforementioned Breaking Bad, heh. That show was brilliant. Had me sitting on the edge of my seat nearly every single episode.

WhiteCopy
24th Apr 2015, 22:44
Okay folks, since the discussion is all about TV shows, I gotta ask... who here has watched (or is watching) Breaking Bad? And what do you all think?

To me, BB was one of the best shows I've ever watched. Absolutely loved it :worship:

Never watched. I've read the pitch and thought "oh no, another depressive series"
But it has won a lots of rewards and it must have reasons, so why, what are the reasons for you to find this series so great?

I think Microsoft is working on that, haha.
:D I'm impatient to see that !

lol, why's that?
Your English seems perfect.
in fact, it makes me dream and hope after 10 years of forums, writing everyday (apologize in advance...) I get can align two sentences in understandable English! :lol:

Eddard Stark to be killed off, especially already in the first season, heh.
Yep, the first of a long list of surprises...

EternalAmbiguity
24th Apr 2015, 23:43
I can't comment on Breaking Bad, having never seen it.

Well I guess "glorifying" is not the correct term. TV shows, films, or even news as you mentioned, aren't really glorifying sex/violence/gore/etc. Perhaps a better term would be "depicting".

I think there are a lot of gory videogames. There seems to be a trend lately towards gore in games. Even the latest Tomb Raider game has become pretty damn gory to the point where even I was put off by some scenes :/

Regarding your first point here, it IS a step beyond mere depiction when that's the focus of television--and it often is, at least the news which WhiteCopy said.

And for the second part I selected here, what scenes did you find gory? I find it incredibly interesting that you wouldn't be bothered by The Human Centipede (which I have not watched, but have heard about) but would be by Tomb Raider.

The only times I felt that way were when Lara was impaled by something (which happened more often than I would care for it to).

in fact, it makes me dream and hope after 10 years of forums, writing everyday (apologize in advance...) I get can align two sentences in understandable English! :lol:

Apologies for butting in, but let me say your English is perfectly understandable. You don't need to worry about that.

Obviously it gets better over time, but you can communicate just fine.

Driber
24th Apr 2015, 23:47
Never watched. I've read the pitch and thought "oh no, another depressive series"
But it has won a lots of rewards and it must have reasons, so why, what are the reasons for you to find this series so great?

The characters are spot on. The acting is superb. The story is original and very compelling. Dramatic and clever plot twists that you don't see coming. You're swept into Walter's world and you constantly feel on edge for a fear of him getting caught or killed (so many a time I genuinely went "how the hell could he possibly get out of this one?!"). Super tense atmosphere between him and his wife, which grows episode by episode. A strange dynamic of not knowing whether to love or to hate the protagonist. I could go on...

Heh, I see. Yeah, practice makes perfect. At least that's how the saying goes; I'm not implying my English is perfect :D

I'm sure that with enough motivation, you'll improve in no time! You're not doing bad, though :)

I myself have always had a liking for English, even when I was kid, so learning it has always been fun for me.

Yep, the first of a long list of surprises...

I've heard there are many deaths of main characters still awaiting me. Well, except for Daenerys apparently :D

WhiteCopy
25th Apr 2015, 12:53
Apologies for butting in, but let me say your English is perfectly understandable. You don't need to worry about that.
Obviously it gets better over time, but you can communicate just fine.
Thank you ! It would be great for me when I'll arrive to put correct English words on my non-English's thoughts and expressions !

The characters are spot on. The acting is superb. The story is original and very compelling. Dramatic and clever plot twists that you don't see coming. You're swept into Walter's world and you constantly feel on edge for a fear of him getting caught or killed (so many a time I genuinely went "how the hell could he possibly get out of this one?!"). Super tense atmosphere between him and his wife, which grows episode by episode. A strange dynamic of not knowing whether to love or to hate the protagonist. I could go on...
Producers should have ask you for the pitch ! I'll watch the first episode as soon as I can.
I had the same feeling with "Dexter", always thinking "Now, it's impossible, he's getting caught" and no...

Heh, I see. Yeah, practice makes perfect. At least that's how the saying goes; I'm not implying my English is perfect :D
I'm sure that with enough motivation, you'll improve in no time! You're not doing bad, though :)
I myself have always had a liking for English, even when I was kid, so learning it has always been fun for me.
I started learning English there's a long time ago, with "Abba" (no... you can't laught !) and "Everything but the Girl", I was a little, little, girl and (tried to) translated lyrics, I was listening and writing what I heard (... funny things sometimes), took "Harrap's" and searched for similar words... You see the results today :D
Promise, I will never do it again !

EternalAmbiguity
29th Apr 2015, 02:25
I was just reading this thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037455&page=3) when they mentioned that "Dontnod" is a palindrome.

Oh, snap! I never noticed that before.

Stellazira
29th Apr 2015, 03:37
I'm not quite sure what you mean by being shown nudity "unexpectedly", though. Can you give an example?

I've been trying to remember who was involved in that incident during a live music event and a pair were singing on stage and the guy "breaks" the wardrobe of the female singer, revealing a breast. Granted, live is not the same as scripted, but there was WAY too much flipping out after that incident IMO.

I was just reading this thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037455&page=3) when they mentioned that "Dontnod" is a palindrome.

Oh, snap! I never noticed that before.

Hey, that was the first thing I noticed about them. There logo makes it rather obvious if I recall correctly.

School is finished! I'm not practicing with worbla.

Driber
30th Apr 2015, 15:30
Regarding your first point here, it IS a step beyond mere depiction when that's the focus of television

The focus of television is to glorify things? I think TV is whatever the program that happens to be on is about. I watch a lot of documentaries on TV. Those rarely are about glorifying things.

--and it often is, at least the news which WhiteCopy said.

I don't have the feeling watching the news that it's about glorifying things. The news is about reporting the facts. At least over here it is; I know that in America a lot of news is about sensationalism, heh.

And for the second part I selected here, what scenes did you find gory? I find it incredibly interesting that you wouldn't be bothered by The Human Centipede (which I have not watched, but have heard about) but would be by Tomb Raider.

The only times I felt that way were when Lara was impaled by something (which happened more often than I would care for it to).

You just named an example, heh. Yeah, those scenes didn't sit well with me, either. Especially the river one, where the big metal spike went through her throat. Ugh. Had to eventually look away with that one.

Why I'm bothered by TR gore but not THC? I suppose because I'm a long time fan of the TR series and to some extend I care about Lara, whereas THC was just a one-off movie with characters that I didn't really feel a connection with.

Producers should have ask you for the pitch !

Ha :D

I'll watch the first episode as soon as I can.

Cool, let us know what you think of it when you've seen it!

If you're like me, you'll be addicted (pun intended :D) within the first few episodes, heh.

I had the same feeling with "Dexter", always thinking "Now, it's impossible, he's getting caught" and no...

Ah yes, Dexter had some really awesome "how will he get out of this one?" scenes, too. I actually started watching Dexter because of Breaking Bad; I was looking for something similar to watch when I finished Breaking Bad.

If you liked Dexter, you'll love Breaking Bad!

Did you finish all seasons of Dexter? I'd love to hear what you think about some parts, but wouldn't like to spoil anything for you.

I started learning English there's a long time ago, with "Abba" (no... you can't laught !) and "Everything but the Girl", I was a little, little, girl and (tried to) translated lyrics, I was listening and writing what I heard (... funny things sometimes), took "Harrap's" and searched for similar words... You see the results today :D
Promise, I will never do it again !

Heh, nah, I won't laugh. I myself learned English like that when I was a kid, too - for example watching Inspector Gadget with Dutch subtitles :D

And it's kinda ironic that you learned English by listening to Abba songs; the singers themselves were terrible at speaking English, haha.

"Harrap's"? Is that a dictionary?

I've been trying to remember who was involved in that incident during a live music event and a pair were singing on stage and the guy "breaks" the wardrobe of the female singer, revealing a breast. Granted, live is not the same as scripted, but there was WAY too much flipping out after that incident IMO.

Ah you mean nipplegate. Justin Timberlake popping Janet Jackson's breast out during the superbowl halftime show.

Yeah I remember that 'controversy' well. America lost its collective ****.

EternalAmbiguity
1st May 2015, 01:34
The focus of television is to glorify things? I think TV is whatever the program that happens to be on is about. I watch a lot of documentaries on TV. Those rarely are about glorifying things.

I don't have the feeling watching the news that it's about glorifying things. The news is about reporting the facts. At least over here it is; I know that in America a lot of news is about sensationalism, heh.

You just named an example, heh. Yeah, those scenes didn't sit well with me, either. Especially the river one, where the big metal spike went through her throat. Ugh. Had to eventually look away with that one.

Why I'm bothered by TR gore but not THC? I suppose because I'm a long time fan of the TR series and to some extend I care about Lara, whereas THC was just a one-off movie with characters that I didn't really feel a connection with.

No no, when the "focus" of television is sex, violence, and gore, it does glorify them, that's what I'm saying.

And I'm from America, so that may color my viewpoint :P

Through her THROAT? Gosh, I don't remember that one. Kind of glad I don't...

WhiteCopy
2nd May 2015, 10:41
We all react differently to the information that media send to us. Our sensibility, experiment, brings us all to translate differently the same information with tools into our possession... I am "passive" when I watch a series, there's no implication. It's different with a game. There I am in total immersion and when I have to "kill" someone, I feel bad, even if I know that's it's just a game. It's certainly the reason why I only play "stealth game" or in stealth mode, even "Quake" :nut: We're often going to "Laser Quest", for fun, with a friend's team, and I'm the only one who have a negative score :D They hate me :whistle:
That's crazy, I'm always going in all directions !!! I mean, if someone want to see a glorification of gore in GoT, let's go, you're only doing with your tools... Truth is everywhere.

Did you finish all seasons of Dexter? I'd love to hear what you think about some parts, but wouldn't like to spoil anything for you.
Yes, I've finished all seasons of Dexter. I enjoy to watch series where I don't know what's going to happen in the next episode and Dexter was great for suspense ! Subject was original and unexpected. I understood the controversy when this series came out but I like judging by myself. And ban something, whatever it is, takes away the right to think critically.
Being or trying to be in the head of a serial killer was original, not politically correct maybe but interesting. What was disturbing me, it's the "code" as we know that they do not...

"Harrap's"? Is that a dictionary?
Yes, and I thought it was known all over the world !

Driber
2nd May 2015, 10:42
No no, when the "focus" of television is sex, violence, and gore, it does glorify them, that's what I'm saying.

Hmm, not sure if I would agree with that, but I get what you're saying :)

Through her THROAT? Gosh, I don't remember that one. Kind of glad I don't...

Yeah it was pretty gruesome. I remember the scene was also featured in an episode of Clueless Gamer, and Conan had to look away as well, haha. Plus the whole audience went crazy, lol.

Here's a clip, if you dare to stomach it :/

[gore warning]

xCe8-1dbXZc&start=359

EternalAmbiguity
2nd May 2015, 21:10
Hmm, not sure if I would agree with that, but I get what you're saying :)

Yeah it was pretty gruesome. I remember the scene was also featured in an episode of Clueless Gamer, and Conan had to look away as well, haha. Plus the whole audience went crazy, lol.

Here's a clip, if you dare to stomach it :/

[gore warning]

xCe8-1dbXZc&start=359

Gosh. That's terrible.

I never witnessed that. I bet that only happens right there if you don't dodge that stuff. Though I agree it's pretty awful.

Driber
7th May 2015, 08:53
We all react differently to the information that media send to us. Our sensibility, experiment, brings us all to translate differently the same information with tools into our possession... I am "passive" when I watch a series, there's no implication. It's different with a game. There I am in total immersion and when I have to "kill" someone, I feel bad, even if I know that's it's just a game. It's certainly the reason why I only play "stealth game" or in stealth mode, even "Quake" :nut: We're often going to "Laser Quest", for fun, with a friend's team, and I'm the only one who have a negative score :D They hate me :whistle:
That's crazy, I'm always going in all directions !!! I mean, if someone want to see a glorification of gore in GoT, let's go, you're only doing with your tools... Truth is everywhere.

Heh, it sounds to me that you're a pacifist. Would that be an accurate description? :)

Yes, I've finished all seasons of Dexter. I enjoy to watch series where I don't know what's going to happen in the next episode and Dexter was great for suspense ! Subject was original and unexpected. I understood the controversy when this series came out but I like judging by myself. And ban something, whatever it is, takes away the right to think critically.
Being or trying to be in the head of a serial killer was original, not politically correct maybe but interesting. What was disturbing me, it's the "code" as we know that they do not...

Too right; banning works of art just because they are dark isn't the way to go. I don't really get why there was controversy in the first place, though; Dexter isn't the first show with a "baddy" as the protagonist, not by far. You'd think people are used to it by now.

I just had to laugh during that scene where that videogame developer created a game where the protagonist is a serial killer and he showed it to Dexter and Dexter was all offended, saying that that is sick :D

The code sure brought a very interesting element to the story. It was fascinating seeing Dexter struggle with the code at times.

Who were your favorite side characters of the show?

One of my favs was Trinity. John Lithgow really knocked it out of the park with his character.

Hello..... *slowly looks down* Dexter Morgan. :D So much suspense!

Yes, and I thought it was known all over the world !

First time I've heard of it, heh. I usually use merriam-webster or dictionary.com for English, Prisma for Dutch and google translate for anything else.

Gosh. That's terrible.

I never witnessed that. I bet that only happens right there if you don't dodge that stuff. Though I agree it's pretty awful.

Yeah it happens when you fail to dodge at certain points in the river scene. So you managed to get through it without fail on your first attempt? Nice skills!

EternalAmbiguity
8th May 2015, 03:05
Yeah it happens when you fail to dodge at certain points in the river scene. So you managed to get through it without fail on your first attempt? Nice skills!

Thanks. I've got experience I guess with other fast-paced games.

And to be off-topic per the thread, I'm currently playing Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Pretty amazing game in some ways. I love how much freedom you have in completing your objective.

Stellazira
15th Jun 2015, 15:40
I am back from my holiday!

I played through the third episode with my boyfriend but have yet to play it through myself. I have lots of catching up to do. :)

Driber
29th Jun 2015, 14:55
So what did everyone think of E3? :)

Any big surprises? Any disappointments?

zackdollars
8th Jul 2015, 03:42
So what did everyone think of E3? :)

Any big surprises? Any disappointments?

It seemed like Microsoft had the best showing. Backwards compatibility was nice. However, they are relying on old franchises. Tomb Raider looked good, but nothing particularly surprising.