PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILERS] Theory about overall plot

CrashOkami
25th Mar 2015, 15:50
Hey all, so I just finished Ep. 2 and I've got a few ideas regarding Rachel and the main characters.

For one, I think Rachel is dead, but not simply "killed". The tornado looks to be pretty huge and unnatural; the picture is always very, very grim. You can just attribute that to "hey, it's a tornado that'll wipe the town out, of course it's grim", but I think it looks supernatural. The supernatural element is definitely there, with the ethereal doe, Max's powers and whatnot. Where does Rachel come in?

Who's to say Max is the only one with powers? I know I'm going to sound a bit crazy here, but what if Rachel was chosen to die by the Prescotts? Let me elaborate.

In the final scene, we see some dossiers with names written on them, Kate and Rachel between them. Maybe the Prescotts exercise some other sort of supernatural power, and that is the root of their success and wealth. Max is already a problem to them. I don't know what or why, but I think the Prescotts are more than just "wealthy asswipes".

Rachel is (was?) Chloe's best friend, and Chloe is Max's link with Arcadia Bay. Maybe they weren't sure of who had powers, so they took out Rachel to try and provoke Chloe and Max; now Max is close to Chloe, and they may be monitoring her.

Madsen may be in the know, but not able to do something to help repel the Prescotts due to his bad rep. He's taking photos of Kate to gather up evidence so he could bust the Prescotts? That also explains the Rachel file, and the other dossiers.

Jefferson might also have some sort of pact with the Prescotts, which is why he's on the phone, suspiciously. Maybe they're instructing him to become a close "friend" of Max so they can have even more control on her?

Lastly, the homeless woman outside Two Whales struck me as "more than meets the eye" for some reason, especially after the conversations with her.

I don't know, most of what I said maybe makes zero sense. Regardless, I can't explain Frank, Victoria (seems like a simple diva-b**** to me, insecure) and some other stuff.

Feel free to rip the theory down, I'm up for discussion -- I really am intrigued by how it's shaping up!

zackdollars
25th Mar 2015, 21:22
I think it's a stretch to think that anyone else would have supernatural powers. You may be right about Madsen collecting evidence for a good reason. Rachel is an unpredictable element. I'm not sure if we'll ever know what happened to her. I do hope we find her alive and get to hang out with her.

EternalAmbiguity
26th Mar 2015, 00:26
I wouldn't be surprised about the storm being supernatural in some way, though I'm not sure how. I hadn't considered the Prescotts having some sort of supernatural power that they used for wealth, that's an intriguing idea...but I would hope they keep the supernatural elements to a relative minimum. Don't make it into straight-up fantasy.

As for the rest, I see no proof, but I see nothing opposing it either.

zackdollars
26th Mar 2015, 03:16
I replayed the junk yard and read Rachel's letter that's in the trash can. She seems to have had an intimate relationship with Frank (but she doesn't mention a name). But, Frank was wearing Rachel's wrist band. As bad as Frank seems, he's not evil.

The following is not a spoiler, but if I'm right, it might spoil things:
Rachel and Maxine might be the same person. It's just a gut feeling. You would think that Max would recognize herself, or that Chloe would know, but Max didn't recognize Chloe after 5 years. Rachel disappeared nearly the same time that Max gained her time powers. Chloe said that Max and Rachel shared a similar "eye" for photography. If this is true, we know that the last episode will have Max warp back 5 years for some reason.

Stellazira
27th Mar 2015, 04:23
I'm not sure I liked some of the choices in this episode. The big one that comes to mind is when you have to choose between answering Kate's call or just going with Chloe. Really? Chloe is going to get mad about a quick phone call? It's a stupid thing to flip out about.

I was under the impression that there may be others with powers judging by the websites. You can't confirm anything based on the websites on Max's laptop, but this might not be a unique thing.

zackdollars
27th Mar 2015, 04:27
Some people get annoyed when you answer a phone call in the middle of a conversation, or event. It's a real bad habit to always answer the phone (I know people who do this, and it's very rude.) The phone can always wait.

Stellazira
27th Mar 2015, 04:45
She knew (and told Chloe) that it was Kate who was calling, someone who's been having problems recently. It was just a real quick "hey, I'll call you back later" in the end; it's not like she had a 15 minute conversation with Chloe just standing around. If you didn't want to answer your phone you should have turned it off or let anything coming in dump into messages. Considering that it was evident that Kate has texted Max in the past, phoning her seemed to make things more important. Given the context, I thought answering the phone was a perfectly acceptable decision.

zackdollars
27th Mar 2015, 05:05
I've noticed in Ep2 that Chloe is excessively manipulative. I'm beginning to think that Chloe is not a good friend, but things can change. This phone call did a good job at exposing Chloe's selfishness. Also remember that there was a real consequence for answering the call. The time spent on the phone allowed an argument to occur between Chloe and her mother.

There were also some really cool time power scenes that were not about making decisions, but in proving/enjoying Max's new power. So, maybe that's why it felt like there were fewer decisions? It was a trade off. The ending made it all worth it.

Stellazira
27th Mar 2015, 16:17
Oh no doubt Chloe is extremely manipulative. As far as I'm concerned, that's all the more reason to answer the phone because while she's important, she's NOT the centre of the universe.

I do understand that answering the phone is rude in many cases, but it's kind of expected when you have a mobile for better or worse - it's expected that people should be able to get a hold of you most of the time. I guess it's up to individual circumstances how it's appropriate it is to answer.

---

I was wondering last night if any of the supernatural events occurring in the game could be explained by looking into Native American myths and legends. I live on the West Coast (albeit north of the border) and some of this stuff doesn't seem outside the realms of possibility. There are many different groups so it'd be tough to narrow down which one to look through but I just have a feeling that the events happening in LiS aren't entirely original.

EternalAmbiguity
27th Mar 2015, 22:15
I replayed the junk yard and read Rachel's letter that's in the trash can. She seems to have had an intimate relationship with Frank (but she doesn't mention a name). But, Frank was wearing Rachel's wrist band. As bad as Frank seems, he's not evil.

The following is not a spoiler, but if I'm right, it might spoil things:
Rachel and Maxine might be the same person. It's just a gut feeling. You would think that Max would recognize herself, or that Chloe would know, but Max didn't recognize Chloe after 5 years. Rachel disappeared nearly the same time that Max gained her time powers. Chloe said that Max and Rachel shared a similar "eye" for photography. If this is true, we know that the last episode will have Max warp back 5 years for some reason.

Yeah I've thought about your "spoilered" comment too. It's possible, but I honestly think it's more like they're the same type or something. Like, both "chosen ones" or some such thing. There's definitely similarities though.

Stellazira
28th Mar 2015, 01:26
I don't think they can be the same person. Rachel was Chloe's BFF; if she did reappear as Max, you'd think she would be the first to notice.

julietxjules
31st Mar 2015, 14:52
When you mention the folders at the closing scenes it seems to me that you are assuming that it is the Prescotts, or Mr Prescott who is viewing them. There is no evidence to support this and I would say, here and now, for me, that it strongly points to Principal Wells for the simple fact that there is a glass probably filled with alcohol next to the files. It looks like the same glass he uses at the end of episode 1. We already know he drinks, the in-game dialogue has intentionally made us all aware of this fact, plus, we have seen it for ourselves.

Have you considered that the files could belong to Wells? He could be building a case history dossier on all students - this wouldn't be unusual in academic circles, or indeed anywhere else. The folders and their author may not represent the sinister at all, but used as a means to divert attention away from elsewhere and, by doing so, increase the mystery, intrigue, and suspense.

But in saying that, and at this stage of play, I do not lay claim to know anything more than anyone else :rasp:

Rachiiee
6th Apr 2015, 15:40
I know for sure that it's Principal Wells that owns the red files. When you are in his office you can see them on the shelf, and obviously at the end you see his drink and stuff. I also do believe that Rachel might have the same powers as Max. With how she knows and talked to everyone - just like Max. I have a feeling Rachel maybe ran away because she knew something bad was going to happen? (The storm) I don't know. Also, Mr Jefferson with all his raunchy photoshoots around the campus lead me to believe they are Rachel. I don't think she is with him though, nor do I think she is with Frank...but who knows. Also at the end of ep2 principal wells is speaking to Mr Jefferson in his car..what is that indicating? Is he leaving? ...

julietxjules
6th Apr 2015, 15:43
I know for sure that it's Principal Wells that owns the red files. When you are in his office you can see them on the shelf, and obviously at the end you see his drink and stuff. I also do believe that Rachel might have the same powers as Max. With how she knows and talked to everyone - just like Max. I have a feeling Rachel maybe ran away because she knew something bad was going to happen? (The storm) I don't know. Mr Jefferson with all his raunchy photoshoots around the campus lead me to believe they are off Rachel. I don't think she is with him though, not do I think she is with Frank...but who knows. Also at the end of ep2 principal wells is speaking to Mr Jefferson in his car..what is that indicating? Is he leaving? ...

I am glad to see that someone else has noticed this about Principal Wells.

Good for you! :)

TheEmissary
7th Apr 2015, 15:15
I also do believe that Rachel might have the same powers as Max. With how she knows and talked to everyone - just like Max. I have a feeling Rachel maybe ran away because she knew something bad was going to happen? (The storm) I don't know. Also, Mr Jefferson with all his raunchy photoshoots around the campus lead me to believe they are Rachel. I don't think she is with him though, nor do I think she is with Frank...but who knows.I guess it's possible (films have done similar things), but I don't think so.

Rachel may have gone missing on a Vortex Club party and Kate was drugged on one. So maybe someone is using these parties to kidnap people. I don't think it's the Vortex Club, Nathan and Victoria may be "evil", but they hardly are serial killers or organ traffickers and Rachel hung out with them.

What's in the red files and how are Rachel, Kate and the others connected?

Also at the end of ep2 principal wells is speaking to Mr Jefferson in his car..what is that indicating? Is he leaving? ...Or they're working together.

Rachiiee
7th Apr 2015, 15:47
I guess it's possible (films have done similar things), but I don't think so.

Rachel may have gone missing on a Vortex Club party and Kate was drugged on one. So maybe someone is using these parties to kidnap people. I don't think it's the Vortex Club, Nathan and Victoria may be "evil", but they hardly are serial killers or organ traffickers and Rachel hung out with them.

What's in the red files and how are Rachel, Kate and the others connected?

Or they're working together.

Yeah.. I agree with you :)

'Working together' OMG! This is something to think about....

Also I was watching some gameplay on Ep 2 to see what outcomes other answers had and I seen a text from Nathan's father saying that Max wasn't the first student at Blackwell to try and slander or blackmail his family. I wonder was that student Rachel?

Baddaddydragon
7th Apr 2015, 16:12
Hey all, so I just finished Ep. 2 and I've got a few ideas regarding Rachel and the main characters.

I'm up for discussion -- I really am intrigued by how it's shaping up!

@CrashOkami I do think we will find out another character (or characters) know about or have also had a run in with the supernatural, or maybe even have the same power as Max. Your theory that one of the Prescotts is a good one.

I am not certain that Rachel is dead. What if she is trapped in a time anomaly caused by another character (or herself?). "Just disappeared" could have a supernatural cause.

Finally - in the closing cutscene of the scrapbooks with the girls names, there is a glass of whiskey near the art supplies (and some pills). Could this be the principals glass?

Just some thoughts to add to your theory.

OHWceta
9th Apr 2015, 23:28
My theory is that Max seems to be learning new things about her powers. While Episode 2 showed that she had limits. Episode 1 started with her rewinding and fast-forwarding. Episode 2 she was able to freeze time altogether. By the end who knows what she'll be able to do with her abilities? I think Max finds out Rachel is in grave danger, so she used her powers to go back and warn Rachel to run away before she could be killed or severely hurt. Nathan seems to just be a pawn I think, and step-douche seems to be wanting to help and do what's right but his overbearing personality and the way he seems to be running military recon in a school kind of makes him out to be more of a bad guy than he really is. The "Dreams" about the Tornado are the alternating timelines converging and clashing. I find it a bit interesting how Mr. Jefferson was dragged into the end of episode 2. During the questioning, Madsen and Nathan were obvious, in that depending on your choices they both had a negative rep with Max. But suddenly you have the option to throw Jefferson under the bus?

gildedfeniks
10th Apr 2015, 08:17
I could say easily that Prescott Family is The Arcadia Bay's oligarch.They do anything for their wealth and I'm pretty sure that Nathan is became sick of this being this family's pawn even though he's one of them, and the vortex club is the vessel for Prescott's or a trap organization for those who are oppose to them and they manipulating the girls esspecially. And David wanted to be a cop to analyze things more but somehow he blocked. With his obtained info David started to being a security guard or he is an actually an undercover but no matter because he is actually tring to get more info onto Prescott. However he is a surveillance freak and that's make him hassle Kate and being a prick to everyone else. Also he's started the tired of this Prescott maze that in ep 2. About the principle and mark jefferson i think they are aware thing but they also tring to uncover the reason why the girls are missing. Otherwise everyone would be against max and rachel. But About Rachel she said Chloe that she met someone changed her life he is frank or nathan's father but in ep 2 that bracelet of rachel seem to explanation that guy is frank but it still highly unlikely to me because he is a douche. And if i make a list about trustable people to max i only have warren brooke kate and david from shcool and rachel (if we could met) and joyce outside of school.

And About the tornado it is the butterfly effect* we always see in the corner of the screen and it started right after we saved chloe. Afterwards is the snowfall at 80 Fahrenheit and very next day we saved her from train and at the end of the day there is the eclipse which warren told us absolutely not expected thing. And Max saw it in the very beginning or she traveled from there to take another chance to stop it. I started to think that it is happening because chloe is still alive. :(

*The butterfly effect is the one of explantaion of the chaos theory, which says any little changes have a possiblity to huge changes, like a butterfly's wing flap can cause a tornado after 20 years or so. They mentioned in The Flash series i think.

thedreadpersephone
10th Apr 2015, 13:39
How do we know the Principal was talking to Mr Jefferson in his car? I couldn't figure out who was in the car but I thought maybe someone in the Prescott family as it seemed like a pretty fancy vehicle.

TheEmissary
10th Apr 2015, 15:04
The hair and the glasses fit.

julietxjules
10th Apr 2015, 16:00
How do we know the Principal was talking to Mr Jefferson in his car? I couldn't figure out who was in the car but I thought maybe someone in the Prescott family as it seemed like a pretty fancy vehicle.

Because, it could be clearly seen that it was Jefferson who was sitting behind the steering wheel.

thedreadpersephone
11th Apr 2015, 16:19
Oh, I missed that somehow.

Stellazira
12th Apr 2015, 17:14
Oh, I missed that somehow.

You may have to play the episode again to see. What a terrible thought. /sarcasm ;)

raiffsf
16th Apr 2015, 07:59
I dont think the Prescotts own any supernatural powers. It doesn't seem to be the case.
What can be happening is that the Prescotts are paying David to investigate the students at Blackwell and by doing that, eliminate every threat to their dirty plans. Rachel knew something that she wasnt meant to know. So, she "disapeared" outta nowhere. I dont know, those are my thoughts on this. Peace ! :scratch:

Bedcave
23rd Apr 2015, 15:50
And About the tornado it is the butterfly effect* we always see in the corner of the screen and it started right after we saved chloe.

*The butterfly effect is the one of explantaion of the chaos theory, which says any little changes have a possiblity to huge changes, like a butterfly's wing flap can cause a tornado on the other side of the world. They mentioned in The Flash series i think.

Flash series as reference really? :p

There is a great movie called "The butterfly effect" you should really watch it (forget movie 2+3 they are crap).
Oh and wait... its all about rewinding time too... hmm yeah :)