PDA

View Full Version : Echolocation Needs a Buff

Crazylor
14th Mar 2015, 15:15
Echolocation sucks and is not used much at all. It should show every vampire the location of humans when used. This actually fits into the lore of the series as vampires have, "The Whisper" which is the ability to direct thoughts into each others minds from long distances. A sentinel should easily be able to communicate locations through this method to his allies.

Upon further thought, wouldn't that make it so if any vamp saw a human he'd communicate it to all the other vamps telepathically??? Hmmmmmmm food for thought.

Vampmaster
14th Mar 2015, 16:29
Using the whisper is still better than the Razielim having one of Turel's abilities, like Echolocation is. It's part of Turel's backstory about him living in the dark environment of the smokestacks and is confirmed in the Prima guide for when you fight him in Defiance. I'm not saying move it to the Tyrants, but if it's function is being reworked, it should be given a different name at the same time.

The Whisper could be one possibility, Scent of Blood could be another, Dragon's Eye could be another, but nothing from another clan should be used for the Razielim. They were renowned for their spellbinding talents, so maybe the extra buff should be based around that.

PencileyePirate
14th Mar 2015, 18:41
I asked for a EL buff for a long time ... but now that I've gotten used to using it the only thing I could want changed is the ability to see teammates or explosives [in a different color] during echolocation. Showing all vampires the humans' location is just unnecessary.

GenFeelGood
14th Mar 2015, 18:51
I felt the same way and maybe it still needs a buff; but it has grown on me a little as a search and destroy tool for the lone human or the single scout in a team of Vanguards.

Edit
The whisper is more of a communication ability than a recon, I do like Dragon's Eye as it relates the path of their change. Perhaps it could also illuminate the projectiles being fired (axes, bullets, bolts, arrows, grenades) to also make it easier to evade them while you move in.

Crazylor
16th Mar 2015, 09:02
All of this just makes me wonder if the whisper should be implemented. It'd certainly help with all the tunnel visioning that goes on in vamp side. Often I find people eating while team fights are still going on. Of course in higher mmr, it could be used as a scouting tool, but perhaps that may be op. I think the idea could use some testing though as vamps do need some balancing. Otherwise, I'd still shoot for the whisper to work through echolocation it only makes sense.

Edit: I suspect the devs view voice chat as "The Whisper" ironically enough it sounds like whispers. Zing.

PANZERBUNNY
16th Mar 2015, 19:36
If indeed that power is for another Clan, move it and give Sentinels a different power, but similar. Let them see heat signatures through a certain amount of terrain and a glowing path where warm bodies have recently moved.

Integrity restored.

I still don't mind a bat vampire with a sonar ability, but 2 different abilities which are similar, both useful would be cool.

Fire would help hinder this ability, much like the shadow power against humans. More interaction between the classes is cool.

RainaAudron
16th Mar 2015, 19:41
If indeed that power is for another Clan, move it and give Sentinels a different power, but similar. Let them see heat signatures through a certain amount of terrain and a glowing path where warm bodies have recently moved.

We have been suggesting this for a very long time now... just rename it to something else and make it not sound based.

Vampmaster
16th Mar 2015, 20:54

Yes. Do this. Echolocation needs reworking to be usefull anyway (as Crazylor initially stated), so just slap a new name on it at the same time.

Razaiim
16th Mar 2015, 21:48
Echolocate has been "on the devs radar" since alpha and has remained unchanged since, despite huge amounts of debate and discussion (which psyonix has participated in". I believe skill has been wholly abandoned, and Corey's statement about not all skills being equally competitive was on part referencing echolocate.

PencileyePirate
16th Mar 2015, 22:33

No thanks, leave EL on Sentinels please.

A rename would be fine but I would be very unhappy if they moved or altered it as you describe.

GenFeelGood
17th Mar 2015, 02:16
Along with buffing it by illuminating projectiles to better avoid them during the maneuver, I'd also like to suggest the ground beneath the human's feet be slightly illuminated to better gauge where the ground is as you move in.

Vampmaster
17th Mar 2015, 10:17
The ability already provides enough visual information to figure out where everybody is, and I don't think more would make much of a difference. A a added damage/buff/debuff would make the ability more useful.

JinTzu
17th Mar 2015, 21:03
Why not adding a "supersonic sound effect" that makes humans in 3000 radius deaf for a few seconds?

Ygdrasel
18th Mar 2015, 03:59
Why not adding a "supersonic sound effect" that makes humans in 3000 radius deaf for a few seconds?

Because they're not crazy super-powered bats?

Crazylor
18th Mar 2015, 23:13

That sounds overpowered.