PDA

View Full Version : Couple of things for the devs

Guardian1uk
24th Feb 2015, 23:07
Noticed at times, when hunters use bolas on vamps that after the chains get "broken" and the vampire gets free, instead of the graphics for the wrapped chains round the vampire dissapearing, they stay and persist, making it look like said vampire is wearing a orange "glowy" girdle regardless of class lol.

I noticed in the settings for a private server there are settings for 5 v 5 matches, besides the current standard 4 v 4 match formats, does this mean tomorrow when the vanguard comes out that matches are then going to be swapping over to a 5 v 5 match format instead of the current 4 v 4 setup? given the fact that there will be 5 classes each side, it makes sense to do so :)

I've also noticed a change on the way some AOEs work, previously generaly a AOE ability would only effect the opposing team, ie reavers choking gas bomb, scouts volly, prophets draining curse etc, and several patches back noticed that I was taking damage from my own abilities yet, if I run into a team mates aoe ability I dont take damage from say volley, so the question is why was this change made? with a scout with volley up there were plenty of counters etc, for it, so why do I now take damage from my own AOEs? Do vampires really "breathe"? if not why would choking gas bomb effect the reaver using said bomb?

On the new score board, if you play a prophet and use the prophet skin that was recently ISH given away to closed beta players, it just instead of showing that char in the skin, just displays a circle with the word "temp" in it, also when reviewing what killed you while dead, I've noticed the tyrants grab ability description is currently messed up (instead of showing the description it shows what looks like a tempory generic place holder)

Weapon wise for hunters and scouts what would be nice is some sort of bleed ammo (Barbed Arrows/Crossbow bolts)? :)
The Same goes for some of the vamp abilities, how about a razor bomb/nail bomb option for reavers as a alternative? also how about abilities for both sentinals and alchs which besides slowing movement speed of targets caught in the radius of effect also deals damage similar to say the alch's poison gas ability? though the sentinals one would be similar to the current airstrike ability.

Also please fo tthe love of god keep working and focusing on stability, still seeing the windows error message about nosgoth stopping working, though thankfuly you seemed to have cured the crashing to desktop issue and I cant think atm of the last time I "soft crashed" back to the menu from a match :)

Also with most games of a similar nature as nosgoth/quake/unreal etc there is usually a VERY healthy community who create a lot of extra content like NEW MAPS if their provided the tools to do so, so I know I would and likely others would like tools where we can create maps ourselves, possibly they could also have the option to submit them for for official checks/testing and each week a selection are included in possibly a alternative TDM option where players can vote on xyz player made map, high voted ones could then be considered for being included officialy in the part of the normal match map rotations :)

Ygdrasel
24th Feb 2015, 23:22
several patches back noticed that I was taking damage from my own abilities yet, if I run into a team mates aoe ability I dont take damage from say volley, so the question is why was this change made?

AoE abilities always worked this way as far as I can remember. Your own AoEs will hurt you. This was done for balance so you couldn't just drop a volley of arrows or choking haze and stand protected within it. As for Reavers breathing in poison, Kain and Janos both die (Well, Kain not so much...) when their hearts are removed so it stands to reason that internal organs still operate within the vampiric body.

Razor bomb? Why? Reavers have a DoT attack already...

That last idea sounds...Intriguing but very iffy. Devs would definitely need final say on everything in any case.

Guardian1uk
25th Feb 2015, 00:44
AoE abilities always worked this way as far as I can remember. Your own AoEs will hurt you. This was done for balance so you couldn't just drop a volley of arrows or choking haze and stand protected within it. As for Reavers breathing in poison, Kain and Janos both die (Well, Kain not so much...) when their hearts are removed so it stands to reason that internal organs still operate within the vampiric body.

From what I remember back in closed beta when I started playing, you could actually stand within your own Volley and as you put it "be protected" but there was counters to it including but not limited to pounce, choking gas bomb etc.

Razor bomb? Why? Reavers have a DoT attack already...
Really? exactly which ability or attack is that? Cause I've yet to see bleed ticks, though I'm guessing your refering to their choking gas bomb, I'm thinking more along the lines of the bleed effect that piercing pistols for prophets do :)

That last idea sounds...Intriguing but very iffy. Devs would definitely need final say on everything in any case.
Agreed, however they'd only need to do some checking on some checking on the maps to get a idea/feel of how the player created maps play, then use a player voting system to highlight maps everyone finds fun which could then give them a focused amount of maps to look at with further "Testing" on their part to ensure balance before finaly being added into the NORMAL TDM mode rotation of maps.
As said with most other games similar to nosgoth there's usually a VERY healthy community who do enjoy creating more maps, look at the diff quake, doom, UT games as examples.
Obliously bad maps are likely to be "down voted" etc and less likely to get through, so maps that are say imbalanced towards either humans or vampires are very likely to fail to get through, plus it also allows the player base to help create additional content for nosgoth while allowing the devs to tap into the crowd sourcing potential of the community.
Also possible that as a "reward" for maps that do get used in the official rotations players receive specialy designed banners etc as a reward, and with the devs verifiying things it means that players who might be tempted to "shrill" upvote their own maps etc for said rewards end up NOT gaining anything except devs perm blocking them from uploading maps.

Another thing which should be done is a "Quit" button on the end of match screen so that even if it's still going slowly ie slowly counting up your rewards etc you can just choose to click quit and exit and still get credited with any rewards due etc, rather than having to hang round approx 50 seconds for it to get to the end of all the end of match stuff and then a further 30 seconds on top of that waiting for the damn intermission.
kind of wondering at this stage if it would be worth the devs dropping the intermission completely in favour of the after match screen and just have it start launching on the next map afterwards? seems if people want to play another match they will stay, if not for whatever reason they can just quit and the system can snag someone from the LFG pool straight into it as well.
Just know from games like quake, UT and doom etc that on multiplayer people prefer not to have to wait between matches but given how the synching works it needs a pause, which in some respects the end of match screens/count ups etc would fill.

Another thing that needs sorting is the flaw on scouts ability camouflage, at the moment if you activate it after firing, everything dissapears EXCEPT the arrow on the bow ready to be drawn, this flaw allows vampire players to track a scout with camouflage active, the blur is fine, just the arrow you might as well have a big neon sign over their heads saying "free buffet here...."

ApollosBow
25th Feb 2015, 15:24
A more hardcore mode where team AOE damage is possible would sound interesting.

Guardian1uk
1st Mar 2015, 06:16
A more hardcore mode where team AOE damage is possible would sound interesting.

I take it you mean where everyones AOE abilities affect everyone in range?

Guardian1uk
1st Mar 2015, 23:19
Also noticed tonight a few things about the vanguard's shield rush ability, seems like flaws.
Does not interupt or knock over tyrants doing ground slam, EVEN if you get shield rush off before the tyrant gets ground slam off, Also does not effect deceiver backstab again even if you get shield rush off first.