PDA

View Full Version : Vanguard Shield customization and thoughts

CountEyokir
24th Feb 2015, 10:52
So - the ability to mix and match shield and skin eh? I like it - although personally I'd rather the shields were less expensive given they're a 'sold separately' deal.

Although this does raise the question in my mind of possibilities for applying this elsewhere as I'd love to have a basic skin for any class which I could then mix and match different purchased or unlocked armour, tattoos and features on so I can make the look of my chosen class more unique then simply buying a skin shared by dozens of others

Vampmaster
24th Feb 2015, 11:25
I'd love some alternate facial features for the vampires. It didn't really make sense to start them off as pale humans. They should have used young Kain's and the BO2 vampires facial features as a starting point really.

I still think it's odd that the Turelim had already evolved their huge mass before getting the slightest hint of the larger ears, when for Turel it's the opposite. He wasn't that beefy in the SR1 intro, but he did have the ears at that point. The fledgling Turelim should really have started with ears like the evolved Melchahim or actually, the statue in the crucible was a perfect fit.

I get that people might be attached to the skins they already have, and SE might not want to waste the models, they already have, so they should keep the originals, but just make them swappable for some partly evolved variant heads.

So, in short, stick-on ears, hair, beards, tattoos, alternate masks and options for no masks, would all be awesome to have. I get that alternate head gear simply wouldn't fit on drastically different main skins, so I'd be fine with the option being grayed out whenever that's the case.

-Konf-
24th Feb 2015, 11:49
I'd rather the shields were less expensive given they're a 'sold separately' deal.
I think about that differently. Any given skin costs 1,600 runes. Considering that initially you wouldn't even have had an option to "mix and match" - you'd be spending 1,600 runes straight up anyway, which doesn't make any difference to how much you'd be spending now on skin + shield combo.

This way you can either get a much cheaper skin (for only 1,200 runes) or get more value out of your money for the full price of 1,600, as you get to pick what your final look will be like. Pricing seems completely reasonable to me and looks like a "win-win" situation.

EDIT: just looked at the advertised prices and realised that not all shields are priced at 400, which makes no sense. Considering skins with the costly shields would've been sold for 1,600 apiece if they were integrated together without the "mix and match".

Although this does raise the question in my mind of possibilities for applying this elsewhere.
I'm really excited for this as well as this is Psyonix's first hand-on attempt on implementing a "mix and match" customization. In one of the dev streams Corey was saying that that's the advanced customization system that they would like to have in this game. It's a long way ahead, but the fact that we have some aspects of it implemented already gives a lot of hope. Really great move by Psyonix.

Ysanoire
24th Feb 2015, 13:18
It's a really nice idea, but I don't like the fact that this effectively makes the skin (the set) more expensive. I didn't need less reason to get one.

Cristari
24th Feb 2015, 15:53
And so begins the Nosgoth fashion show!

ApollosBow
24th Feb 2015, 21:08
It's a really nice idea, but I don't like the fact that this effectively makes the skin (the set) more expensive. I didn't need less reason to get one.

Only if you get the 2 more favored shields, ill be picking up the Serene, so still all equals 1600 runes.

And so begins the Nosgoth fashion show!

Shake it BABY!!!!

PencileyePirate
24th Feb 2015, 21:20
It's definitely pretty sketchy that shields are priced differently, with some combinations adding up to more than the cost of a regular skin. SE always seems to find a way to exploit their customers' wallets.

Ygdrasel
24th Feb 2015, 21:28
It's definitely pretty sketchy that shields are priced differently, with some combinations adding up to more than the cost of a regular skin. SE always seems to find a way to exploit their customers' wallets.

It's an F2P title. They need to make money somehow.

PencileyePirate
24th Feb 2015, 21:30
It's an F2P title. They need to make money somehow.

What are you talking about? They've been making money on regular skins already.

I'm talking about mixing and matching skinned items in a way that a full Vanguard skin (including shield) adds up to more than the cost of a regular skin. I think they're unreasonably trying to squeeze more money out of their customers.

ModernD
24th Feb 2015, 22:11
Yeah, I'm all for customization options but just hope this doesn't set a standard for every future visual change. I'm hoping that once crafting and more options are available you will be able to get things from grinding like in TF2. I'm fine with buying things now and then but if it becomes the only option for some lesser visual quirks then I doubt I'll be buying anything after that.

GenFeelGood
24th Feb 2015, 22:46
I figure they did it to make up for those who just buy a shield or a skin without having to spend the usual 1600. I do wag my finger at them for the fact that they made the 2 more popular shields more expensive as opposed to spreading that increase over all 4 of them (making them all 600 instead of half being 400 and the other half being 800).