PDA

View Full Version : MISC. Improving New Player's Access to Classes

TendrilSavant
24th Feb 2015, 06:40
I've said before that the biggest problem the game has is player retention, and that I believe that the moment when players are transitioning from recruit lobbies to general lobbies is where the problem lies. One factor I've been considering is the class limitations players have at this point. Something that is becoming more apparent with the inclusion of new classes.

At level 15, you are able to unlock 3 extra classes out of a possible 5; tomorrow that rises 6. While this is definitely a fair way of doing this, some players might end up unlocking a class that doesn't fit their play style leaving them feeling bad about their choice and feeling that the classes that others picked might be more OP than what they picked. Sure, we have the tutorials to test them out but I believe this isn't enough to get a handle of any class.

Most F2P games give test drive weeks/weekends for classes in rotating order. This might not work well for Nosgoth due to it's asymmetry. So, here are some suggestions that I think could work work for Nosgoth:

Replace 24 hour perk drops with 24 hour class unlocks.
Have all classes unlocked at the first time of play for 24 hours.
Unlock all classes for 24 hrs once a player reaches a certain level (probably level 15).
Add 7 day class rentals for about 300 gold or 150 runes.

Adding the Class Warfare videos to the tutorial menu would also be welcomed.

Also worth noting, it's generally easier to get a handle on how to counter certain classes by playing them. By granting more access to classes to new players it would hopefully allow players to be more situationally aware at lower levels.

Equanimityjohn
24th Feb 2015, 08:06
+1 ! ! !
This would definitely help with player retention, and as OP has said that is something lacking in this game, for a multitude of reasons.

Da_Wolv
24th Feb 2015, 09:28
Unlock all classes for 24 hrs once a player reaches a certain level (probably level 15).
Replace 24 hour perk drops with 24 hour class unlocks.
^THIS

The rest i don't care much about. Rentals for classes could work, but they would need to completely overhaul the inventory system (which I think they should anyway) because it would just get too messy and confusing.

Sanguise23
24th Feb 2015, 14:18
this is a good idea

Cristari
24th Feb 2015, 15:51
Can you not decide by running through the tutorials?