PDA

View Full Version : Patch Notes - February 19th, 2015

Psyonix_Corey
19th Feb 2015, 18:26
Spectator Mode
With the introduction of Spectator Mode, you will now be able to view Private Matches using the Spectator camera tools. You can view the game from different angles and check out statistics of players in the match, have a birds eye view of the battlefield, or view the action up close from a player's point of view.

The Observer interface has a camera mode switch (space bar), toggles for the HUD, player outlines and observer interface, and can switch between camera modes.

With Free Cam the two teams' stats are shown, and you can fly using the movement keys and mouse
With Locked Cam selected players' stats shown at the bottom of the screen, the camera pivots around the selected player, and you can zoom in/out and rotate the cam
With Player Cam selected players stats shown at the bottom of the screen, and you will see the game from the player's perspective (HUD included)
You can always record the game with NosCam, from a Spectator point of view. You may have up to 6 spectators per match.

Scoreboard
The scoreboard interface has been updated to include more relevant information for all players. With the new scoreboard layout, your avatar will be represented in a more visual style (showcasing the class you're spawned as with your chosen skin), and changes the details displayed below that.

Kills have been renamed to "Final Blows"
"Takedown" tallies your Kills and Assists
"Support" will list out the healing (and damage absorbed) that you have granted to teammates.
The map is displayed, with health stations marked for Humans
Ping information is displayed per player

End Of Match
Our updates End Of Match screen includes a new, slicker, interface, as well as more relevant useful end of match information.

In line with the new scoreboard, a new layout is shown, with the same scoreboard changes (Takedowns, Final Blows, Support) included
A more detailed breakdown of what you have been awarded is shown
Unlocks are only displayed if the player has unlocked something

Balancing

Prophet
All Pistols

Spread increased by 10%

Piercing Pistols

Damage reduced to 115 (was 120)
DoT damage reduced to 20/sec (was 25/sec)

Eldritch Guard

Cast speed increased by 50%

chriZor
19th Feb 2015, 18:35
very nice! spectator mode :friends:

uNborn-
19th Feb 2015, 18:41
Nice, I'm liking the spectator mode inclusion. Any update on when high MMR people will be able to play this game on their main accounts though?

Psyonix_Corey
19th Feb 2015, 18:50
Nice, I'm liking the spectator mode inclusion. Any update on when high MMR people will be able to play this game on their main accounts though?

Matchmaking server update in the works that has some fallbacks when players get stuck in the queue too long, but it's not ready for today. That said, it should be deployable without patching you guys, so hopefully very soon. We're also looking at the MMR algorithm and may do a global MMR compression to get everybody back within a smaller range of values if we make updates to it so it doesn't increase ratings as quickly.

We expanded the tolerances yesterday to alleviate things in the meantime.

We are also making changes today to see if they help the desync at round start issue reported.

Firehex
19th Feb 2015, 19:05
Wow dat nerf of piercing pistols..Does this means a lot of players gonna return to heavy one ?))

Aggggh
19th Feb 2015, 19:30
Wow dat nerf of piercing pistols..Does this means a lot of players gonna return to heavy one ?))

The accuracy nerf may make piercing pistols still preferable overall. It'll make dead eye pretty much mandatory for sure though (mind you, it was pretty close to that anyways).

J4ckTh3Feed3r
19th Feb 2015, 19:33
Noooooo! My Piercing Pistols :D Btw. how long does maintenance usually takes? I wanna play. Now! :D

Saikocat
19th Feb 2015, 19:47
It shouldn't be much longer :)

XJadeDragoonX
19th Feb 2015, 20:19
Any word on an increase on chances of getting mysterious items? I have like 200 hours in the game and iv maybe gotten 1 item drop ever. AND when it comes to the items themselves, I barely even see other people with them. The chances are way too low atm

HoopleDoople
19th Feb 2015, 20:32
Glad to see the Prophet was addressed - as good as they are at close range they had no business being precision snipers as well. I for one will be switching back to Heavy Pistols, though not just due to the damage nerf. My (only) Piercing Pistols unfortunately rolled worse spread, so between that and this nerf that effectively cancels out the reduction received from Deadeye.

HexMee
19th Feb 2015, 21:03
The scoreboard interface has been updated to include more relevant information for all players.

... you removed the most relevant information you could get from the scoreboard. The HEALTH of players.. and it's really hard to see if a person is even dead or alive (grayed out).
The pointless animation combined with the fact that the new scoreboard isn't see-through and covers the entire screen with pointless things like the map and the current score (you can see the score on the top of the screen??) and each player's class making cool poses makes it useless in combat.

This new scoreboard was a huge step in the wrong direction in my opinion, old one was far far better in so many aspects.

I can't see stats/player HUD when spectating a noscam file?

SlashQuit
19th Feb 2015, 21:20
actually I think its good that we cant see OUR ENEMIES HP AT A GLANCE.
What are you even saying?
You can still see teammates health on the top left icons

Vampmaster
19th Feb 2015, 21:31
The right hand side of this screen would be a good place to show MI progress:
http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/399/blog_large/2015-02-19-00023.jpg?1424379947

On the scoreboard, we don't really need the huge images, but icons matching the selected skins would be nice, as would loadouts and locations for teammates (but not enemies):
http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/396/blog_large/2015-02-19-00014.jpg?1424377813

Sasha_Vykos
I think that the new scoreboard layout is really horrible. Too many informations and they aren't clear and immediate at all. I don't think we needed to change the old one.

HexMee
actually I think its good that we cant see OUR ENEMIES HP AT A GLANCE.
What are you even saying?
You can still see teammates health on the top left icons

We have always been allowed to see our enemies HP, I've always used my tab key extensively checking for targets that are low or figuring out if we can push to a new location because the enemies are low on health across the board.
It's a very important feature in the game and I feel completely handicapped without it, catching myself pressing tab every 10 second just to get pissed off because I get greeted by this pointless mess of statistic that nobody asked for, instead of getting the information that I need and have always been provided in the past.

Armdevil
19th Feb 2015, 21:32
This is awesome!
I must say this game is starting to look very very sexy :D
Cant wait till i get my PC upgrade so i can start streaming it again!

MuShYRoOM
19th Feb 2015, 22:27
well..
i prefer the old simply stats-view with simply rows for each player like in other games too, where i can see the necessary stats while holding TAB for "few seconds" instead of a new sexy confusing one, with big columns for each player, which includes tons of unnecessary informations, where i need to hold TAB for a half minute to check the stats while playing...

I would understand to introduce this kind of stats-view for the end of a match, but not for a "quick" stats-check while playing...

SquirrelInDaSky
19th Feb 2015, 22:45
We have always been allowed to see our enemies HP, I've always used my tab key extensively checking for targets that are low or figuring out if we can push to a new location because the enemies are low on health across the board.
It's a very important feature in the game and I feel completely handicapped without it, catching myself pressing tab every 10 second just to get pissed off because I get greeted by this pointless mess of statistic that nobody asked for, instead of getting the information that I need and have always been provided in the past.

100% this.

Ysanoire
19th Feb 2015, 22:52
First impressions:

- Spectator mode did not work for me. While testing this with a game with 1 player and 1 spectator, on first try we were both kicked to main menu as soon as the map loaded, the second try the player got into the match but spectator still got kicked.

- Are those new options supposed to be available in Noscam or just while spectating? Because I don't see anything in Noscam, no stats or player hud.

- In one game I viewed in Noscam the new camera mode (player cam) went derp, it was looking in one fixed direction instead of where the player was facing. Don't know yet if this is frequent because the other game I viewed was fine.

- There's some weird stuff going on with spawn locations. I've had both teams start in the exact same spot in Flashpoint, and humans respawned into the middle of the fight, on top of a capture point, all the time (while vampires were busy finishing off their teammates).

- New scoreboard is less useful (no hp). The vertical layout is a matter of getting used to I guess.
[edit] and player icons could be smaller.

ImFabulousChance
19th Feb 2015, 23:02
... you removed the most relevant information you could get from the scoreboard. The HEALTH of players..

True. This new scoreboard is pretty lame how are we supposed to see HP ? We are flooded by useless informations ( support, takedown ? rly ? wtf ? ) New fancy effects are more disturbing than useful. Plz remove. Old was a way better. Unplayable with this

lastnewbie
19th Feb 2015, 23:03
I can't say it better. 100% agree.

Jallford
19th Feb 2015, 23:30
On first experience the new score UI is difficult to process mid-match, there's just too much information. I really don't like the idea of players being ranked 1st-4th either (I know the old system did this too, but it wasn't so blatant), it's only going to make people bicker more.

Might grow on me yet, but at first glance it's just confusing.

JanubeTaso
20th Feb 2015, 00:06
As someone who picked this up at open beta, my thoughts are as follows:

1. I'm glad HP was removed from Tab scoreboard. That didn't make any sense to show, regardless of whether or not it was useful. THAT BEING SAID, I do think we should be able to see health bars if our crosshairs are hovering over someone.

2. I like that match score finally combines both rounds. Love it.

3. PLEASE make it so holding tab lets you see the score of the previous round. There's no reason not to provide that information.

4. New scoreboard is sexy, but at the cost of efficiency and clarity. It's no longer a quick task to see who's dead and who's alive, and a good 40% of the scoreboard is taken up by a totally useless avatar. Shrink the crap out of that. The categories' names are tiny now to make up for the weird size changes, so it's annoying trying to figure out what statistic goes with what. I vastly prefer the old menu's numerical tables for ease of use.

5. Takedowns is a pointless statistic. Your total contribution to the game is difficult to measure, since opportunities created isn't a statistic that can be measured. That being said, your next best bets are to provide simplicity or provide numbers. Simplicity rests in Kills, Deaths, Assists. If you want to also provide numbers, I already know my "takedowns" because I can do basic addition just fine. What I don't know is how much damage I've taken or the number of times I used my ability. While not strictly useful, they'd offer an interesting bit of information that is at least superior to "takedowns," which tells me virtually nothing.

6. Love the addition of the mini-map.

7. Add spectator changes into standard Noscam. Catching cheaters and figuring out how other people are doing so well is incredibly difficult without their HUD, without numbers popping up, and without health indicators.

8. I'll just reiterate: the overall new scoreboard is sleek, but cluttered to a nasty extreme. I appreciate the work that must have gone into it, but the peripherals need toned down, and the pertinent information needs to be more clear, more accessible, more easily differentiated from each other.

TheDreamcrusher
20th Feb 2015, 00:50
A couple of thoughts.

1. I can't see what sort of items are being awarded to other players; Uncanny, Arcane, or Mysterious. I liked being able to browse what other people got.

2. Can no longer see the health of enemy players in score screen. Not sure if this now intentionally out or not.

3. Hit registry has hit rock bottom for Nosgoth with this patch. Vampire melee and human shots and grenades fail to register very frequently, maybe ~30% of the time.

4. The immortal Stalkers bug is still present and can basically make a match 3v4 favoring vampires because the ghouls can block shots. I'd like that gone as soon as possible.

Louves
20th Feb 2015, 01:06
I don't like the new scoreboard. Functionality is more important than design. Nobody needs those gigantic pictures. The vertical layout is really counterintuitive and the removal of the HP of the players is a huge step in the wrong direction (I am especially thinking of competitive play here).

RazielWarmonic
20th Feb 2015, 01:52
I don't like the new scoreboard. Functionality is more important than design. Nobody needs those gigantic pictures. The vertical layout is really counter-intuitive and the removal of the HP of the players is a huge step in the wrong direction (I am especially thinking of competitive play here).

+100 to this post.

There was nothing wrong with old scoreboard. And now with the inclusion of skins, it's more focus fire-y. For now, at least for humans, I believe I will be turning off all my skins.

The scoreboard is no longer "quick information at a glance", it's "too much information in wrong places that takes time to load". Takedowns? Really? It's confusing as all heck, adding kills and assists together. At least move that back down to the bottom like assists were, all I care about is DAMAGE, KILLS, and DEATHS.

Speaking of Damage, the score system is even more ... stupid ... for this new scoreboard. It should go off of damage for 1st/2nd/3rd/4th place, not score. We all know score doesn't mean jack crap.

AND GET RID OF THE ANIMATION! That is the TRUE abomination to this whole thing!

With that out of the way, prophet nerfs weren't needed imo, and spectator was VERY lackluster when were told it was going to come out with Noscam. It's still borderline unusable. Map isn't necessary, and uninformative anyway. With words like "Player perspective" and "new HUD" I was thinking more then a measly score bar and... a... rather unresponsive and not true player perspective camera that is literally just a close cam. Doesn't necessarily follow where the player is looking, and often clips through the player you're following. It also displays no stats unlike what was stated (same with player outlines). :\

As for actual bugs: The new fancy pantsy UI doesn't show experience gained after a match. Just displays a "+0".

TendrilSavant
20th Feb 2015, 02:10
I love the new scoreboard. I really hated how the old scoreboard allowed for exploitation of extra information. Instantly knowing which potential target was weaker made many engagements much easier than they probably should have been. It does feel a little busy on screen though. But the fact that you can't read peoples health AND the short delay before reading it is a welcomed change in my book.

Pros, as I see them:

Players will hopefully pay more attention to the points scored rather than individual performance.
Humans need to confirm that a vampire is low on health in order to make the judgement of whether to pursue, rather than instantly check the scoreboard.

Cons, as I see them:

Approaching humans at heal stations is much riskier (it already was pretty risky).
Vampires have a low health animation and humans don't, this might become a more apparent advantage now.

ModernD
20th Feb 2015, 04:15
Same thoughts on the scoreboard as most people. It feels very noisy and doesn't easy give visibility on what I want to see. I would settle for abbreviated info while in a match showing just deaths, healing, damage and a score. The animation on it is very weird because it has a slight delay which I think would be fine if it instantly showed and then added any animation to the human vamp logos once fully open.

I do really like the look with the full details but think it serves better as an end of round screen that shows us a breakdown of our stats. And I do really like the giant portraits and think it gives a personal factor to your character instead of being generic Reaver 1,2 etc. Hope whatever changes it stays this pretty regardless.

PencileyePirate
20th Feb 2015, 06:07
I love the new scoreboard. I really hated how the old scoreboard allowed for exploitation of extra information. Instantly knowing which potential target was weaker made many engagements much easier than they probably should have been. It does feel a little busy on screen though. But the fact that you can't read peoples health AND the short delay before reading it is a welcomed change in my book.

Pros, as I see them:

Players will hopefully pay more attention to the points scored rather than individual performance.
Humans need to confirm that a vampire is low on health in order to make the judgement of whether to pursue, rather than instantly check the scoreboard.

Cons, as I see them:

Approaching humans at heal stations is much riskier (it already was pretty risky).
Vampires have a low health animation and humans don't, this might become a more apparent advantage now.

+1 ... I agree with pretty much everything said here, and humans definitely need a low HP animation now.

It does feel a little busy, maybe because it's so large & opaque. Perhaps reduce image sizes and increase transparency?

Sasha_Vykos
20th Feb 2015, 08:06
I really hope to have back the old scoreboard..or at least the possibility to choose between this useless new one and the old one.

I also experienced a bug about the scoreboard..in 2 matches an avatar player was invisible and a circle with the word "temp" appeared. It is very confusing cause it seems that the enemies are 3 instead of 4 and you can't even see what class he is playing.

Da_Wolv
20th Feb 2015, 08:34
Imma just leave this here instead of repeating myself:

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=152346&p=2106767#post2106767

mauvo58
20th Feb 2015, 09:30
I've not had chance to play, but from your blog post screenshot this looks like a bug, (15 + 75) x 1 is not 180.

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/400/blog_large/2015-02-19-00024.jpg?1424379947

Soiuxsie
20th Feb 2015, 10:11
The new scoreboard looks nice and everything but it gives the wrong information "takedown" and "finnal blow" are just unnecessary, but this messed up the most important things the HUD is to big like when you TAB you cant see anything at all, the score from the previous round still doesn't display and that would be very useful like really, I don't care about who is using what skin like really couldn't care less but the thing that is the worst the lack of HP is a big change that ruins a bit of the game for me to be honest.

Also would like to add, Psyonix guys we love nosgoth but changes like this they would be better discussed on the forum before rolling them out

NomzNomz
20th Feb 2015, 10:49
Yeah I'm not a fan of the new scoreboard. My first problem is this take-down and other unnecessary info. It was fine before with its clear info.

Second problem is the layout. We're not Japanese, we read horizontally not vertical.

Funny how people mention the health of players in the old scoreboard. I knew it existed but never realised I could of exploited that info. Not that I would because I'd feel that cheating.

Screwby-Dew
20th Feb 2015, 11:30
the removal of the HP of the players is a huge step in the wrong direction (I am especially thinking of competitive play here).

I think it's a step in the GOOD direction in term of competitive play.
Communication is key in most of multiplayer games, your team now have to call which player is low on health and it should actually improve your teamplay.

puff_ng
20th Feb 2015, 12:21
All we need now is a Time Spent On Rooftops score for Summoners.

XJadeDragoonX
20th Feb 2015, 15:12
I never used the health bar on the old scoreboard to check people's health. I noticed it, but never actually thought of taking advantage of It. I prefer it that way. it's stupid if you can know anybody's health at any time. The whole point of a game like this is you don't know what you're getting into when a fight starts. It adds mystery and an extra layer of difficulty.

Having the health of all players, friends and enemies alike, is a bs tactic for cowards. It is in no way a benefit of this game in term of actual strategy. it's a complete copout and anyone who is complaining about losing that functionality is a fool.

I do however agree that you should be able to see someone's health by getting them in your crosshairs. That makes sense. You take the effort to look at them and check. Hitting the tab button to check the enemy health no matter where they are isn't fair. Regardless of the team.

SirRudyMan
20th Feb 2015, 16:54
After this update I got +0 global experience. Before this update I still got global experience even though my char is lvl 25. How am I suppose to level globally when I don't get global experience when I play with a lvl 25 character?

RazielWarmonic
20th Feb 2015, 17:21
Pros, as I see them:

Score doesn't mean anything though. Give the alchemist that is 0-6 with 4k damage and 7 mins into the round a quad kill and they will be at the top of the scoreboard.

Put me in last based on score, I don't care, I will always look at other's damage/deaths.

TendrilSavant
20th Feb 2015, 19:47
Score doesn't mean anything though. Give the alchemist that is 0-6 with 4k damage and 7 mins into the round a quad kill and they will be at the top of the scoreboard.
Score as in your teams score. I am aware that individual "score" is just a predetermined statistic to disperse Xp at a resonable rate, and has little to no effect on the actual match.

Put me in last based on score, I don't care, I will always look at other's damage/deaths.
I consider damage output the most important stat, but your teams scored kills are the most important stat for match making since it's mostly based on win/loss rate at the moment.

HexMee
21st Feb 2015, 13:28
Could a dev PLEASE state if the lack of health showing on the scoreboard is intentionally left out and is going to be left out in the future or if it was just a minor derp that noone really put any thought into?
I can't believe how noone realized how huge of a gamechange this is for most of the players, pretty much every single player that I've talked to, mostly high level competitive players in the ESL agrees that it ruined a very big part of how the game works.

I don't know what to do at the moment because if you decide to put health back into the scoreboard I don't want to lose my muscle memory that sortof unconciously checks for low hp targets and whatnot throughout the match, but if you do decide to remove it for good I can learn to adapt to that. I just need conclusion damnit.. it's driving me insane!

HoopleDoople
21st Feb 2015, 20:21
Am I the only one who desperately misses the slow matchmaking? Sure, it could take a while to find a match, but you got good matches with players of similar skill. Now I constantly get matched with low MMR players, and as my MMR is high the worst are put onto my team. So I end up with a horribly incompetent team that doesn't understand basic concepts like attacking together as Vampires. Meanwhile, the enemy team aren't exactly pros but by simple virtue of knowing how to play they win handily every time.

The only saving grace is my MMR is tanking rapidly. At some point the total idiots should be split between the two teams again...

Rising-Mos
22nd Feb 2015, 02:14
Did anything change with regard to Alt-Tab in this update? before, I can do alt-tab, browse the web and see Nosgoth icon flashing when I am in the game. Now, there is no flash and most of the time, I can't go back into the game once I use alt-tab.

This is very disappointing!

RainaAudron
22nd Feb 2015, 10:48
It still does it for me, did you enable the background audio as well?

shadmed
22nd Feb 2015, 14:19
My criticism of the patch:

- An animation on a text-based information screen? That's a big no-no. The hierarchy in the design is kinda of wonky, it does introduce good ideas, but how don't slow reaction time in-game just to wait for a screen.

- I'm 100% behind kills being named Final Blows, and I was already adding both of them together previous to this update to know whether I was efficient with my damage and overall how much I've helped my team. I think assist info is a bit more relevant than takedowns because "assists" still pop-up on the game screen when one happens.

-I understand the decision to not show the health bar, but in a game where health can be regained easier for one team, the health bar grew in importance. Maybe color coding the players in the scoreboard could work, to not show specific health but an general amount (e.g: green for over 75%, yellow til 25%-74%, red for 24% or less).

-Bigger numbers, or, bigger labels, or, more recognizable symbols. Final blow is so small it is kinda hard to see it's a hand holding a knife. I feel this could easily solve the hierarchy problems.

-Flashpoint just got hardcore.

SirRudyMan
23rd Feb 2015, 14:39
A few notes about this update:

1. Is it just me or do we get less experience from matches? I've heard more people saying this ingame, and I noticed it too.

2. At the end of each match it takes forever before you can go to the lobby again. I like the idea that you can view the scoreboard longer, but this is just too long. Maybe make it 10 sec shorter?

-I understand the decision to not show the health bar, but in a game where health can be regained easier for one team, the health bar grew in importance. Maybe color coding the players in the scoreboard could work, to not show specific health but an general amount (e.g: green for over 75%, yellow til 25%-74%, red for 24% or less).

-Bigger numbers, or, bigger labels, or, more recognizable symbols. Final blow is so small it is kinda hard to see it's a hand holding a knife. I feel this could easily solve the hierarchy problems.

I agree with @shadmed on this.

4. I also noticed that I don't get global experience when my character is lvl 25. Before this update I still got global experience even though my char was lvl 25.

Rising-Mos
4th Mar 2015, 09:20
Did anything change with regard to Alt-Tab in this update? before, I can do alt-tab, browse the web and see Nosgoth icon flashing when I am in the game. Now, there is no flash and most of the time, I can't go back into the game once I use alt-tab.

This is very disappointing!

Update: it is probably related to the new AMD driver that was distributed to Windows 10 users few days back. Other games can alt-tab though.

In any case, I found a workaround by setting the screen to borderless windowed (not fullscreen). Everything works perfectly and it is still full screen since I am using the same resolution as my desktop.