PDA

View Full Version : Recent matchmaking feedback

Whoopdidoohah
19th Feb 2015, 14:45
Hey there,

As they try to fix MM, I'm still experiencing bad bad hiccups that are really going to put off new players and even vets like I am. I've been putting up with a lot of bad MM but now it's the lamest experience ever for me. Here's how it goes.

I come back from work, eager to play one of my favorite game.

I Q up for US east at prime time.

Takes 5-10 minutes to get a lobby, I'm fine as I read patchnotes about fixing the MM by INCREASING the wait times. Okay.

Then I inspect the players I'm put up against... Here's the culprit.

Majority of them don't have 100 hours played, while I've got close to 600 hours.

I win the match dying one or two times totals and we totally kick the **** outta them.

During game, I get called a hacker and some leave, people are whining about MM and think that my team is a stacked premade when it's not. Really ? This is disgusting MM. No fun for anyone 80% of the time. And I don't blame them for leaving. Well, partially. Let me explain.

If a new player keeps leaving games he's going to lose, his MMR is going to be skewed and he will KEEP playing players with a true higher MMR, because games he's going to lose he just quits them. And it repeats itself again and again.

Let me tell you I'm not the best but I'm definitely in the 10% of higher skilled players at this game (not in the 5% I believe yet, unborn and co are still ripping me a new one), but I almost never leave any games nowadays because I believe it affects my MMR by not taking in consideration games I'm losing, if I leave them. My win% is taking a hit when they put me with newbies vs a premade, I take it like a man and it's good practice after all, and sometimes I can carry them to victory (*not good for the newbs MMR though). Overall though I prefer being put with a bunch of newbies vs a premade than being put vs random new players. What aggravates me though is when said new players just leave when they lose...

Maybe a dev can come here explain how the MMR deals with players that are constantly leaving to maintain a 90%+ win rate, while realistically only 5% of the playerbase can get that legitimately. If it dosen't affect the MMR in throwing the leavers down the ladders, then it's going to perpetuate itself since the leaver is being put against much better players than he is (or not, since by my own experience MM still looks like to be random at times).

For example, I Q up and I end up WITH Stoop Crime and Unborn instead of AGAINST them, and we get to play a bunch of randoms with not even 100 hours played. Only rationnal reason that comes to my mind is that the players with 100 hours that Stoop, UNborn and I have to be matched up against is artificially manipulating his own MMR by leaving games he's losing. I hope a dev can come and tell me if I'm right or wrong and how the MMR deals with leavers.

Thanks,

Whoopya.

PS. I love this game but I noticed a lot less activity lately. Hopefully you devs can pick up the slack.

Here's a suggestion : VvV is a clan in wich we do a lot of private lobby scrims, 5v5s, 4v4s, 50 kill counts etc. We have A LOT more fun playing that way, shuffling teams, inviting guests like Ragnaros, Happy, etc, and it's just a much better experience. One thing though. No XP gains. But the quality of the matches is there. We're not all super good players, we play just for fun and it's much more interesting to get to know the players you play with and against and it creates a COMMUNITY, not just random pubs beating each others in unbalanced matches. Lately though, the activity of the clan has vanished completely, for the same reason I and friends are playing less (used to play 20 hours a week now it's more like less than 10 hours, there are other games out there).

Hopefully in the future this game goes towards that direction, where you could chose your lobbies and show MMR and rearranging pub teams before the games starts, either manually or automatically.

Cristari
19th Feb 2015, 15:06
If a new player keeps leaving games he's going to lose, his MMR is going to be skewed and he will KEEP playing players with a true higher MMR, because games he's going to lose he just quits them. And it repeats itself again and again.

This made no sense what so ever!

There is nothing greatly wrong with MM I get good games all the time bar one or two, I do get lumped with bad team players form time to time but I tend to tell them what they are doing wrong or just let them know I am not a fan of how they play. Unless the team is really bad then I will leave.

The biggest problem in Match Making is the amount of new players gaining rank on their MMR the amount of pre-made teams playing against unorganised randoms and quitters. If Psyonix could get a grip and put something in place to deter quitting then more players may be able to get a better MMR from their game play and if they could finally make it so that pre-made teams played other pre-made teams then everything would work out fine I'm sure.

I don't see why Psyonix can't instigate 2v2 or 3v3 or 4v4 if people jump into a lobby as a pre-made they should be able to start against a similar sized pre-made group. Pre-mades v pre-mades and randoms v randoms never the twain should meet.

Whoopdidoohah
19th Feb 2015, 15:27
What are you not understanding ? I'm wondering if leaving affects a player's MMR. Or maybe is that that the player gains an extremely good MMR out of recruit lobby and then gets matched up against vets in the regular lobby ?

Good for you if you've got good games and no wait time, it's definitely not like that for me and most of my friends.

HoopleDoople
19th Feb 2015, 20:35
What are you not understanding ? I'm wondering if leaving affects a player's MMR. Or maybe is that that the player gains an extremely good MMR out of recruit lobby and then gets matched up against vets in the regular lobby ?

Good for you if you've got good games and no wait time, it's definitely not like that for me and most of my friends.

I would also like confirmation on how leaving affects MMR. I thought that the devs had said that leaving a match still results in an MMR reduction but I've been unable to find where it was said. It certainly would make since because players rarely leave matches their team is winning, unless of course they get disconnected.