PDA

View Full Version : Do people like the shaky camera?

Bridgetkfisher
16th Feb 2015, 16:47
Was wondering if people liked or disliked the shaky cam effect in the last TR2013 game?

From replaying through TR2013 again, even with dual titan Z's I notice there is this micro stutter or something. Shaky camera works in movies but not games for this reason. Due to computers having stutters for any of a million reasons it results in motion sickness for alot of us combined with how shaky the cam is. I just dont think it works in gaming, only other game that had it so bad was Kane and Lynch but they had an option to disable it. Still that game failed hard and dont wanna see TR disappear as a franchise like K&L did over such a trivial thing. T_T

Thanks for anyone who shares their experience about the shaky camera.

Tecstar70
16th Feb 2015, 16:59
I can't say that it ever bothered me but I have read some people complain about motion sickness. I can't say I liked or disliked it.

I was more bothered by the rain and water splashes etc on the screen as if you were viewing the game through a camera. It was annoying, distracting and unecessary in my opinion. I hope that they don't do that in RotTR - CD please put the processing power into the rest of the game!

Bridgetkfisher
16th Feb 2015, 17:18
I can't say that it ever bothered me but I have read some people complain about motion sickness. I can't say I liked or disliked it.

I was more bothered by the rain and water splashes etc on the screen as if you were viewing the game through a camera. It was annoying, distracting and unecessary in my opinion. I hope that they don't do that in RotTR - CD please put the processing power into the rest of the game!

can never have enough processing power, specially cuz todays processors are worse than the older ones!
noticed that too friends were making fun of how if water splashed on lara or if she was around water all these hexagons appeared on the screen as if she was under some kind of math attack from the hexagon dimension. What was that and why are there hexagon attacks in the game? It was def overkill.

WinterSoldierLTE
16th Feb 2015, 17:45
No, it (camera shaking) was used sparingly enough that it didn't bother me. If it was an all the time thing, that might be a different story. Shaking cameras don't get me motion sick, but they do put me to sleep if they're frequent for some reason. I couldn't even make it through the first "Transformers" movie as well as "The Bourne Ultimatum". The camera shakes had me fast asleep within 15 minutes. Kinda strange I know, but true. So just don't use it all the time, please.

I'm much more annoyed by QTE's. Getting pretty tired of those in games.

Bridgetkfisher
16th Feb 2015, 17:48
No, it (camera shaking) was used sparingly enough that it didn't bother me. If it was an all the time thing, that might be a different story. Shaking cameras don't get me motion sick, but they do put me to sleep if they're frequent for some reason. I couldn't even make it through the first "Transformers" movie as well as "The Bourne Ultimatum". The camera shakes had me fast asleep within 15 minutes. Kinda strange I know, but true. So just don't use it all the time, please.

Been noticing in the cinematics or when the camera shakes alot I kinda look away, refresh a web page like this forum or something else until its over. Think your having the same thing where you kind of tune it out going to sleep?

WinterSoldierLTE
16th Feb 2015, 18:06
Been noticing in the cinematics or when the camera shakes alot I kinda look away, refresh a web page like this forum or something else until its over. Think your having the same thing where you kind of tune it out going to sleep?

Oh I dunno. It probably is some form of motion sickness or something. I've not been to a doctor about it or anything since it seems to be only movies that do that to me. I can drive and ride in a car all day and ride ferris wheels and whatnot just fine. But for some reason, shaky cameras just knock me right out most of the time.

Bridgetkfisher
16th Feb 2015, 18:18
Oh I dunno. It probably is some form of motion sickness or something. I've not been to a doctor about it or anything since it seems to be only movies that do that to me. I can drive and ride in a car all day and ride ferris wheels and whatnot just fine. But for some reason, shaky cameras just knock me right out most of the time.

Sounds like me, can ride roller coasters all kinds of stuff and no problems. Think it goes back to us as humans having the ear equilibrium thing and somehow watching it on screen is so abnormal and unrealistic it makes us sick or fall asleep :D

Murphdawg1
16th Feb 2015, 19:52
Never noticed it.

Blacktron
16th Feb 2015, 20:12
Yeah there was a tiny bit of it, and during those times I found it a bit annoying. Not anything excessive, but better to leave it out entirely... I like to have a clear picture of what's going on.

Tihocan
16th Feb 2015, 22:06
I liked it, but I can certainly see how many find it uncomfortable, or even sickening.

This is definitely one of those things they could cater to as an option, despite the added effort to remove... (or... add it?) from the scenes/gameplay.

Bridgetkfisher
16th Feb 2015, 22:27
I liked it, but I can certainly see how many find it uncomfortable, or even sickening.

This is definitely one of those things they could cater to as an option, despite the added effort to remove... (or... add it?) from the scenes/gameplay.

Since they took the time to add it, would be nice to have the "option" to see it or disable it or those of us who get sick, sleepy, etc from it. many people have no problem with the head bobble, some of us do, an option to disable or enable would make everyone happy? shouldnt be anything gamebreaking?

Tihocan
16th Feb 2015, 22:42
Since they took the time to add it, would be nice to have the "option" to see it or disable it or those of us who get sick, sleepy, etc from it. many people have no problem with the head bobble, some of us do, an option to disable or enable would make everyone happy? shouldnt be anything gamebreaking?

Not gamebreaking, but it requires effort. Effort requires forethought. Or, at least, dedicated development time which takes away from something else.

Does:
- creating the same scene twice with different camera behaviour
- creating an option in the menu
- somehow making that option apparent/obvious without damaging the game (there are good ways)

warrant this time (and henceforth cost) to the game's development? I'd say yes, but it may not have been understood at the time.
My answer would be "yes" but I'm not the dev :)

Bridgetkfisher
16th Feb 2015, 22:59
Not gamebreaking, but it requires effort. Effort requires forethought. Or, at least, dedicated development time which takes away from something else.

Does:
- creating the same scene twice with different camera behaviour
- creating an option in the menu
- somehow making that option apparent/obvious without damaging the game (there are good ways)

warrant this time (and henceforth cost) to the game's development? I'd say yes, but it may not have been understood at the time.
My answer would be "yes" but I'm not the dev :)

Im not a game developer but was thinking its like a video editor since their "in game" cinematics not videos or mini movies that load then play? If they made the menu option woulnt it still be the same scene then just without all the shaking? Wouldnt they add the shake after? I dont see how they could add it before?

Tihocan
16th Feb 2015, 23:33
Im not a game developer but was thinking its like a video editor since their "in game" cinematics not videos or mini movies that load then play? If they made the menu option woulnt it still be the same scene then just without all the shaking? Wouldnt they add the shake after? I dont see how they could add it before?

It's not exactly a video editor - for in game scenes it's more like a "script" or triggers. "At this point, this is where the camera is, pointing in this direction." So the shake is basically the camera shifting its angle rapidly as described in its script.

It's a bit different to the gameplay camera that (for the most part) "knows" where it has to be based on rules, player control and the area available to it. The other part being that the scripts and triggers can be forced upon the gameplay camera.

And it depends on the tool they use. If they are doing direct camera scripting, then they are likely adding the camera shake as they do it and yes, they could create a smooth camera scene script and then go back and create a second script based off the first with the shake effect.
So, menu is on, play script b, menu is off, play script a.
But, as I indicated, this adds effort to the development. Creating the two scripts for every scene that requires it, coding the stuff that drives the decisions, testing that in every scenario* the correct script is used.

*As a software tester, I can confidently say this is not easy. Adding an option for a binary choice may create 20 different scenarios. I could throw a few at you if you care/are interested.

Rai
17th Feb 2015, 01:23
I barely noticed it. In fact I was confused when someone pointed it out. I have seen it since, but wasn't bothered by it. I have experienced slight nausea playing TR before, namely in TRU and during maze sections of other games. But thankully I didn't experience this in TR'13.

TheArcaneHuntress
17th Feb 2015, 01:33
I only remember it on the helicopter scene, though I had no qualms

Metalrocks
17th Feb 2015, 02:23
personally no huge problem with them. as long i still see where im going, doesnt effect me wile playing and its not frequently, i can deal with it.
still not as bad as these stupid QTEs that really ruin the immersion.

The_Hylden
17th Feb 2015, 15:08
Yeah, I could have done with a lot less of it and the QTE's

Error96_
18th Feb 2015, 00:20
It wasn't an element I was thinking wow that is cool but it didn't make me sick. The QTE's were more annoying.

IvanaKC
18th Feb 2015, 16:45
It wasn't that often too annoy me, but I would be happy without it nonetheless. Effects like wet camera annoyed me more than shaking.

Gitb97
18th Feb 2015, 19:00
I didn't have any issues as far as the camera was concerned. I liked the "shaky" camera and bokeh effect. People have their own tastes.