PDA

View Full Version : Abyssal Bolt Still needs buff

ApollosBow
15th Feb 2015, 04:11
I want to stop using Hellstrike but the bolt is still inferior, the reduced time on the explosion helps but the main damage you do with it comes from the aoe dmg, & speed reduction is good (but 30% would have been more noticeable considering weapon drops might have sprint advantages along with the popular fleet footed perk) , I think a small buff of 15 on dmg = 115dmg/sec would make it better and more on keel with the Hellstrike, which I personally think in the same situation of use for me takes off 300+ damage most of the time. Curious to hear what other summoner players think of it?

My thoughts are basically;

-bump up the damage by an extra 15/sec (115/sec)
-increase speed reduction by 5% (30%)
-also if possible increase speed of bolt throw momentum (right now it is too slow and allows experienced humans to much time to avoid it all together thanks to its very loud audio cue)

Also just encase anyone thinks I am simply trying to buff my new favorite class...after extensive matches with the summoner I think Hellstrike should have a small nerf down to 375 since it does still have a range advantage, either this or add an audio cue (but preferably not as loud as the bolt)

--Ram--
15th Feb 2015, 09:29
To me the main strength of hellstrike is still the lack of noise it makes on casting, and the quicker impact time. You can still surprise inattentive people with it.

Abyssal makes so much noise that it can be dodged without even looking at the summoner, much akin to reaver pounce. The flight time does feel slow as well. People have about a second to react before the ball is thrown due to the sound and light show, and then a good amount of time during flight/before detonation.

I actually want to like abyssal but at the moment it still seems inferior. The only way I see it working is if humans are very distracted/completely lack awareness, or if they are backed into a corner.

Obisher
15th Feb 2015, 10:53
The Abyssal bolt is in a better place than it was before, but I have to agree that it could still use a buff. Suggestions in the OP seem interesting.

Regarding Hellstrike, it should really need some kind of better audio cue. Other than that, I think that ability is in a good place now.

--Ram--
15th Feb 2015, 11:02
Regarding Hellstrike, it should really need some kind of better audio cue. Other than that, I think that ability is in a good place now.

Yeah, I'm sure I read somewhere that the audio queue was supposed to be implemented in the last patch. So I assume it's still coming.

Three_Pies
15th Feb 2015, 11:10
I'm finding that with the slow and reduced explosion time, the Abyssal Bolt is now a balanced alternative. I find that it's more of a short to mid-range ability, with the movement while casting giving it a little more combat viability. Hellstrike is the longer-range alternative.

The slow of Abyssal is not as useless as it first seems; used it combat, it'll force the opponent to roll, which can make a big difference in your favour in the melee, not to mention its applications for chasing.

The type of Summoner it won't work for are those that sit out of the fight and try to snipe. The type who describe Summoner as a 'ranged class' and make your team lose. A lot of those, thankfully, have switched back to other classes now, though, and put her down to being a terrible class.

TheDreamcrusher
15th Feb 2015, 19:36
I am definitely using it as a shorter range ability. If you can wait for an opening to engage, you can throw AB, create your summons, and go into melee with a wounded human fairly quickly and can overwhelm them. The number I noticed going up during gameplay is the number of assists I get using AB over Hellstrike.

Razaiim
15th Feb 2015, 19:49
It would be good in conjunction with a larger AoE like choking Haze, but that doesn't happen in a pug

--Ram--
15th Feb 2015, 20:19
After a couple of games today I am going to change my tune on abyssmal, I actually find I prefer it. It seems suited to use in close quarters rather than sniping stunned guys from outside the fight, something that hellstrike is probably still better for. I noticed quite a few others had made the switch as well so all that was good to see.

TheDreamcrusher
15th Feb 2015, 20:43
After a couple of games today I am going to change my tune on abyssmal, I actually find I prefer it. It seems suited to use in close quarters rather than sniping stunned guys from outside the fight, something that hellstrike is probably still better for. I noticed quite a few others had made the switch as well so all that was good to see.

The advantage is, even if the charge up is VERY loud, you can walk it in. Step out from a corner, etc.

--Ram--
15th Feb 2015, 21:11
The advantage is, even if the charge up is VERY loud, you can walk it in. Step out from a corner, etc.

Yep, you can throw it while dropping from a ledge as well. Also a pretty good way to draw attention and create a distraction if you just cast and instantly cancel it while people drop in from the other direction. Even if it is only on a par with hellstrike to me it now feels more fun to use.

NomzNomz
16th Feb 2015, 12:26
Its like they've barely nerfed Hell strike. But I still stand by Abyssal bolt because the former feels cheap.