PDA

View Full Version : ABILITIES Puncture

Cristari
13th Feb 2015, 20:34
The Sentinel Ability Puncture. Is it supposed to be unavoidable?

I hate playing the Sentinel so I have no experience of this skill I would love to know if this ability is supposed to be avoidable or not. No matter what you do after it is cast you can not avoid damage from it It is quite high damage as well. Combined with Dive bomb which causes enough stun to queue up Puncture there is no escaping death from a Sentinel if you have been chosen for it all you need is an ability cool down and you can run riot.

So is this skill intended to be unavoidable?

--Ram--
13th Feb 2015, 20:48
The sent needs to be next to you to puncture, allowing a sent to get next to you is entirely avoidable.

Even if the guy gets next to you and tries to puncture a bola/hex/knives/firewall stun will interupt it, or you can try to time it and roll through the sent at the right time, or just eat the hit and dps the sent down with the help of your team before you die.

Dive bomb is super easy to avoid and is asking to be bola'd the second it lands or before and can just be reacted to and dodged with a roll.

HoopleDoople
13th Feb 2015, 20:52
Puncture can certainly be avoided, though I'm not sure if its possible if the Sentinel lands a Dive Bomb on you first. With rolls or quick CC you can avoid the Puncture, though it isn't always easy. When it comes to Dive Bomb your best bet is to run towards the approaching Sentinel - they'll almost always overshoot you.

Razaiim
13th Feb 2015, 20:54
You can dodge puncture, it's just a bit rough and the timing needs to be down.

Ygdrasel
13th Feb 2015, 20:55
Completely avoidable. I can basically count on a Sent dive-bombing after a Kidnap so I've set up to counter them long before they pull off a puncture.

Cristari
13th Feb 2015, 22:47
The sent needs to be next to you to puncture, allowing a sent to get next to you is entirely avoidable.

Even if the guy gets next to you and tries to puncture a bola/hex/knives/firewall stun will interupt it, or you can try to time it and roll through the sent at the right time, or just eat the hit and dps the sent down with the help of your team before you die.

Dive bomb is super easy to avoid and is asking to be bola'd the second it lands or before and can just be reacted to and dodged with a roll.

v4ZGgAQ2Yzs

In this video I am caught in the same situation I always seem to be with a Sentinel, I have used all my abilities and they are on cool down. I normally right this stuff off to lag however Noscam has been wonderful in raising my suspicions to what is going on here.

I seen the Sentinel in the sky around me and one other Prophet off to my far left here. I had used both Hex and Life Leach so all I had left was 2/3rds health and my quick wits and Piercing Pistols. As you can see the Sentinel had used Dive bomb and missed completely I was firing all I could at him and admittedly had done a fair bit of damage to him as he was moving in for Puncture. There is a ruddy great bug pole and barrels in between him and I which I decide to use just as I see Puncture pop. I roll to avoid and 'pop!' I'm dead and Puncture auto navigates towards me.

Now I ask again is Puncture unavoidable after it has been cast?

Vampmaster
13th Feb 2015, 22:51
Everyone avoids it when I use it. I gave up and just stuck with Wing Flap for now.

Ygdrasel
13th Feb 2015, 23:03
Now I ask again is Puncture unavoidable after it has been cast?

Now I tell you again, Puncture is completely avoidable. That does seem to be an anomaly though...Lag, perhaps.

Cristari
14th Feb 2015, 00:08
Now I tell you again, Puncture is completely avoidable. That does seem to be an anomaly though...Lag, perhaps.

All the avoidable tactics that have been mentioned so far apart form roll are skills or abilities, however if you have used them already all you can do is roll.

This happens to me all the time I see it wind up I roll through them I avoid them as much as I can and I die and see the Sentinel turn towards me. I doubt it is lag if the Noscam caught it, unless the Noscam is what I see on my PC then if that is the case its about as useful as a chocolate fire-guard!

TendrilSavant
14th Feb 2015, 00:43
Being able to dodge Puncture is a fallacy, it's not so much that you dodged it as much as they missed. At best you can use terrain and well timed dodges to increase the chances the Sentinel will miss. A good Sentinel will track you easily through a roll though.

And that seems to be the balance that it's suppose to have, it's a high risk high reward ability.

Razaiim
14th Feb 2015, 03:16
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it but the sentinel can re aim the skill while casting up until he does the stab. This is why it's so hard to avoid.

Khalith
14th Feb 2015, 09:25
Experience has shown me that puncture is no match against the almighty power of stairs.

In all seriousness though, Tendril is absolutely right, it's more about the Sentinel missing than being able to dodge it, I've started using puncture again and I've noticed that as long as I can keep the human centered on my screen and am the right distance away I never miss, at all, ever. It doesn't matter if they dodge to the side, towards me, away from me, I never miss unless my aim is off.
But if someone's elevation is off (usually if they're below me on a hill or stairs) I can't hit them if I'm above them.

Cristari
14th Feb 2015, 13:36
I'm going to have to try it myself to see how it works. Man I hate playing Sentinel!

Ygdrasel
14th Feb 2015, 20:59
I'm going to have to try it myself to see how it works. Man I hate playing Sentinel!

Improve with the class. Might become more enjoyable.
I certainly enjoy it more than when I started...Though I still don't care for the Tyrant.

Cristari
15th Feb 2015, 12:53
Improve with the class. Might become more enjoyable.
I certainly enjoy it more than when I started...Though I still don't care for the Tyrant.

I actually prefer the Tyrant over the Sentinel. I do admit atm with the GCD change it is a little bit difficult to play but when I first started playing Nosgoth I got a lot of kills with him and still like him over the Sentinel.

After playing around on the Sentinel with Dive bomb and Puncture my K/D ratio improved a lot in a match using it than I got before using Wing Lap and Air Strike. I still hate using Sentinel as it's just a massive flying target. Improving my flying through structures and choosing when to fly and when to run is a bigger part of the Sentinels game play for me than dive bombing and puncturing though.

TheDreamcrusher
15th Feb 2015, 19:42
I actually prefer the Tyrant over the Sentinel. I do admit atm with the GCD change it is a little bit difficult to play but when I first started playing Nosgoth I got a lot of kills with him and still like him over the Sentinel.

After playing around on the Sentinel with Dive bomb and Puncture my K/D ratio improved a lot in a match using it than I got before using Wing Lap and Air Strike. I still hate using Sentinel as it's just a massive flying target. Improving my flying through structures and choosing when to fly and when to run is a bigger part of the Sentinels game play for me than dive bombing and puncturing though.

There's a playstyle for Sentinel I saw someone else using in a match so I decided to try it and found it to be pretty fun. You have to be patient, sneaky, and fly a lot less. You can use Kidnap or Abduct, your preference, but use Puncture and Take Off. Walk and wall climb (don't fly) to be able to drop to a place where you can do a fully charged melee strike on a human. Hit him, use Puncture, swing once or twice more, and use Take Off. They should die or be very close to it. Take Off kills are pretty satisfying, but it lets you get out of harm's way and you can come back immediately for a Kidnap/Abduct while the fight is still going on.

PencileyePirate
15th Feb 2015, 19:46
Puncture is hardly unavoidable. There's no need to stir up drama with such ridiculous claims ... it's not any different than when new players come in whining "vampires OP."

Razaiim
15th Feb 2015, 19:46
There's a playstyle for Sentinel I saw someone else using in a match so I decided to try it and found it to be pretty fun. You have to be patient, sneaky, and fly a lot less. You can use Kidnap or Abduct, your preference, but use Puncture and Take Off. Walk and wall climb (don't fly) to be able to drop to a place where you can do a fully charged melee strike on a human. Hit him, use Puncture, swing once or twice more, and use Take Off. They should die or be very close to it. Take Off kills are pretty satisfying, but it lets you get out of harm's way and you can come back immediately for a Kidnap/Abduct while the fight is still going on.

Man I thought I invented that. It is alot of fun and I use it when I don't need to play at my best.

TheDreamcrusher
15th Feb 2015, 20:44
It's very fun. Maybe I saw you using it. :P

Razaiim
15th Feb 2015, 21:31
I dunno. Do you play NA east at between 10-2 EST?

TheDreamcrusher
15th Feb 2015, 22:08
Not often, no. Been on NA West lately.

Cristari
16th Feb 2015, 10:11

Seen it in use many times never seen it that successful as most people using it forget there is a roof above them. I've split my sides laughing at them sometimes trying to do this at the Fane's Ramped Crucible resupply point. Come in Puncture a few hits then Boom take off straight into the ceiling above them then splat on the ground.