PDA

View Full Version : The bridge between games

Tecstar70
13th Feb 2015, 17:58
Apologies as I am sure that this may have been covered somewhere and am happy for Admin to merge or delete me.

Is it just Ten Thousand Immortals that bridges TR2013 with RotTR or is there a wider storyline? I know there are comics but am not sure (apart from the pre-TR2013 comic that sets up the game) where they fit into the reboot timeline.

TIA!

a_big_house
13th Feb 2015, 18:18
Affirming Driber’s answer. The rough timeline between TR9 and TR10 is: TR9 -> Novel -> Comics -> TR10. We posted about it on tumblr a while back: http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/90576445010/details-for-the-new-tomb-raider-novel
So, yeah atm it looks like each media contains its own story and thus aren't directly connected, so people who don't read the book or the comics don't miss out, but I'm sure they'll contain references and background info etc

EDIT: So to just expand on myself, you'll (quite likely) be able to play TR9 then go straight to TR10 and not miss out anything important. Although, both the book and the comics feature Trinity, who we know will be in TR10.

Tecstar70
13th Feb 2015, 20:37
Thanks ABH.

Charlie_T_Raider
14th Feb 2015, 15:07
Is like all the situations where other writers make the different media. I think they are all supposed to be at certain points in the timeline but are not quite cohesive to each other

Tihocan
14th Feb 2015, 19:55
width=500

a_big_house
14th Feb 2015, 20:20
^ Is that a graphical representation of what you think the bridge looks like, or? :D

Tihocan
14th Feb 2015, 20:32
^ Is that a graphical representation of what you think the bridge looks like, or? :D
To some degree, yes.

a_big_house
14th Feb 2015, 20:47
Why's that?

Tihocan
14th Feb 2015, 21:26
Ok,

Sam needs to be rescued no less than three times in this journey.
The writing for the novel is undeniably poor (http://www.amazon.com/review/RZPCG8Q0JWWPI/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm).
The Solarii now have some kind of mind control superpower. Which Mathias seemed to have just forgotten at the end of TR2015.
Lara has now gained some serious survivor's guilt for Alex, but barely seems to give a plop for the demise of her long time mentor and replacement father figure Roth.

a_big_house
14th Feb 2015, 21:37
Sam needs to be rescued no less than three times in this journey. - So far we don't know if she'll be in the game, she could just become a background character for the written/drawn media. But if not, yeah, I guess that's a bit dumb...

The writing for the novel is undeniably poor (http://www.amazon.com/review/RZPCG8Q0JWWPI/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm). - I've not read it, so I can't comment :D

The Solarii now have some kind of mind control superpower. Which Mathias seemed to have just forgotten at the end of TR2015. - Whut? :lol:

Lara has now gained some serious survivor's guilt for Alex, but barely seems to give a plop for the demise of her long time mentor and replacement father figure Roth. - Fair enough. Very fair indeed.

Okay, I get your point...s... I guess it all depends on whether or not Rise will reference the book/comics and/or how deeply the comics lead into the game

Rai
14th Feb 2015, 22:14
The Solarii are neither in the novel nor the comics.

Tihocan
14th Feb 2015, 23:12
The Solarii are neither in the novel nor the comics.

No, you're right - sorry. I misread that entire chunk about the hypnosis.
Which is a real weird plot point, if you ask me but no one did so shhh

AlexWeiss
15th Feb 2015, 00:12
Wait then who were the people who wanted to resurrect Mathias in the first arc (I remember very little from issues 1-6)

a_big_house
15th Feb 2015, 00:13
Some random Himiko worship-ers, I don't think they were given a name

Gitb97
15th Feb 2015, 00:18
Wait, so in order for me to understand Rise, I need to read the novel and comics?

a_big_house
15th Feb 2015, 00:19
^ In theory, no. But they may provide extra background info for the game, we don't know yet :)

Tihocan
15th Feb 2015, 02:22
If the book is canon,

then Yamatai was basically an operation driven by Ares, in an attempt to resurrect the immortal queen Himiko on behalf of the Ten Thousand Immortals.

“On the contrary,” said Ares. “You brought me here, Miss Croft. You have been invaluable in my search for the Golden Fleece. Why else would I allow you to escape my Paris office so easily? Of course, my ownership of the statue is natural justice for you destroying Yamatai.”
“There’s a connection?” asked Lara.
“Let us just agree that as a door closes in one place, somewhere else a window opens,” said Ares. “Himiko’s powers are lost to me, buried deep in that pathetic girl, your friend, inaccessible, useless. The Golden Fleece, however, is more than adequate compensation.”

The way I read it all is

- Ares "ran" the island as part of a multitude of schemes aimed at furthering the strength of the TTI.
- Trinity group aims to prevent TTI (or anyone) from gaining power of immortality
- Lara prevented Himiko's return
- Ares focused on the Fleece, using the destroyer of his Yamatai
- Lara finds the Fleece, thus marking her as a credible threat
- Trinity kills Ares, spares Lara
- The TTI under Matsu find a way of resurrecting Himiko, via resurrecting Mathias
- Trinity misses this boat on this one, Lara kills Matsu/Mathias
- (whatever happens in the next comic series)
- Lara goes off in search of Kitezh, the immortal town under the lake
- Trinity sees Lara as a threat once again, is now her enemy

Or I could be seriously jumping the gun on that one. :D

Rai
15th Feb 2015, 03:16
^So your theory is that Matsu was part of the Ten Thousand Immortals 'cult' (for want of a better term). That Ares somehow sent Mathias to Yamatai? Or perhaps had some other plans for resurrecting the Sun Queen. It's plausible I suppose. As we know, Trinity already view Lara as a threat as she interfered with Cruz's plans to kill Kaz. Unless that can be explained as Cruz's personal crusade and Trinity as an organisation aren't yet interested in Lara/see her as a proper threat.

Tihocan
15th Feb 2015, 03:23
^So your theory is that Matsu was part of the Ten Thousand Immortals 'cult' (for want of a better term). That Ares somehow sent Mathias to Yamatai?
Uh, yeah - something like that :D

As we know, Trinity already view Lara as a threat as she interfered with Cruz's plans to kill Kaz. Unless that can be explained as Cruz's personal crusade and Trinity as an organisation aren't yet interested in Lara/see her as a proper threat.
I forgot about that point. It could be that Trinity is just simply competing with TTI. Or, indeed... personal...
So it's a little less passive than I made out, and Kennard must have broken some serious protocol by letting Lara live.