PDA

View Full Version : Patch Notes - February 12th, 2015

Saikocat
12th Feb 2015, 14:15
Below are the patch notes for our February 12th patch.

Matchmaking

Improvements to matchmaking are ongoing. In this update, we have made a few specific changes that we will be monitoring closely:
-

The MMR algorithm has been rewritten with the intent of better, and more rapid, skill ranking. The old version was too conservative and had clustered many players in a tight range of MMR values.
We have switched the matchmaking server to a system that only creates lobbies when it has 8 players ready to start a match. This allows for better matchmaking - the more players in the "pool", the more potential for creating balanced matches. The downside is you will sit at the matchmaking screen longer, rather than seeing the lobby fill up one by one. We've added more messaging as a first step to addressing this - the server will now communicate the average time to find a match so you know what to expect.

Progression

The maximum Rank has been increased to 50.

Balancing

Summoner

This is an initial set of balance changes based on feedback and observation. We are still exploring options to encourage Summoners to engage with their pets rather than sit on rooftops.

Abyssal Bolt

Explosion now happens after 1.5 seconds (was 2)
Enemies caught in the AOE radius are now slowed by 25%

Hell Strike

Cast speed reduced by 7.5%
Range reduced by 7.5%
Minimum travel time of projectiles to target location increased to 1 second (was 0.75)

Summon Stalkers

Cooldown increased to 25 seconds (was 20)
Increased potency of stopping power and movement slowdown from weapons against stalkers

Summon Slayer

Increased potency of stopping power and movement slowdown from weapons against slayer

Melee

Summoner's melee hit windows have been tuned to be more reliable

Bug Fixes

Voice Chat quality and volume have been improved
Summoner pets can now chase enemies off of ledges, rather than having to path around
Summoner pets no longer remain after Summoner dies and round has ended.
Attempting to join a friend in a full game will now give a more appropriate error message

Saikocat
12th Feb 2015, 14:28
Before you ask about ETAs... ;)
We should be down for about an hour. I'll keep everyone posted in here when we come back online.

-Konf-
12th Feb 2015, 14:34
Thank you for posting the notes, Saikocat! Looks like we're getting a great patch today.

Matchmaking - love the idea of increasing the pool and actually displaying average wait times. The only downside is that we can't show off those banners as much haha (jokes).

Progression - a quick question - are you guys planning on making leveling a bit more meaningful with this change since level is nothing but just a number after we've unlocked all the classes?

Voice Chat - can't wait to test it out, hopefully it'll greatly increase the quality of random games.

Summoner - can't see the promised Hell Strike audio cue bug fix on the list. Just wanted to ask if it is in this patch or not pushed out yet?

Vampmaster
12th Feb 2015, 14:52
Any reward for reaching level 50? It feels like there should be something.

_Kine_
12th Feb 2015, 14:56
The MMR algorithm has been rewritten with the intent of better, and more rapid, skill ranking. The old version was too conservative and had clustered many players in a tight range of MMR values.

Is that saying really good players will get into more games against less skilled players ?
ie. skill gap between players in a match is now greater ?

SirSleepALot
12th Feb 2015, 15:00
Is that saying really good players will get into more games against less skilled players ?

I think this idea of low level players playing worse than higher level ones is a bit of an overstatement. Level is not everything in this game and imo it doesn't really reflect how you play.

Of course there are some limits for what I'm saying. A level 11 can play worse than a lvl 30 player but things even out when talking about a closer range for levels (such as 20 vs 25 or something like that).

MasterZtark
12th Feb 2015, 15:07
Thanks Cat, some interesting changes!

I think this idea of low level players playing worse than higher level ones is a bit of an overstatement. Level is not everything in this game and imo it doesn't really reflect how you play.

Of course there are some limits for what I'm saying. A level 11 can play worse than a lvl 30 player but things even out when talking about a closer range for levels (such as 20 vs 25 or something like that).

I agree 100% about player level meaning nothing, except the MMR does not match people up based on their character level (1-40, or now 1-50) at all for the exact reasons you mentioned. It's based on actual skill at winning matches, so a lvl 10 can be matched with level 40's no problem (the 10 is really good, the 40 is really bad, or they are both about average). I believe Kine was asking if lower skilled players (lower MMR) will now be matched up with more higher skilled players (higher MMR), thus leading to some unbalanced games so that we can simply find a match quicker.

Vampmaster
12th Feb 2015, 15:15
Thanks Cat, some interesting changes!

I agree 100% about player level meaning nothing, except the MMR does not match people up based on their character level (1-40, or now 1-50) at all for the exact reasons you mentioned. It's based on actual skill at winning matches, so a lvl 10 can be matched with level 40's no problem (the 10 is really good, the 40 is really bad, or they are both about average). I believe Kine was asking if lower skilled players (lower MMR) will now be matched up with more higher skilled players (higher MMR), thus leading to some unbalanced games so that we can simply find a match quicker.

I think she was saying that a player's MMR will increase at a smoother rate instead of jumping/falling by a huge amount at once. Eg, it might have been that all players were either level 10 or 20, with hardly anyone in between. So when there's not enough level 20 players, it would get level 10s to fill the remaining slots. If the players MMR levels are spread out more evenly, you might get level 18s or something, which is a lot less of a gap.

Khalith
12th Feb 2015, 15:47
Any update on the Summon Slayer ability not always summoning correctly? Or the Stalkers just standing there doing nothing?

Saikocat
12th Feb 2015, 15:47
Progression - a quick question - are you guys planning on making leveling a bit more meaningful with this change since level is nothing but just a number after we've unlocked all the classes?

Not with this patch I'm afraid, but if any changes are made to that we'll communicate them ahead of time.

Summoner - can't see the promised Hell Strike audio cue bug fix on the list. Just wanted to ask if it is in this patch or not pushed out yet?

It should include that as well, yes :)

-Konf-
12th Feb 2015, 16:14
Thanks for your response! :)

Aggggh
12th Feb 2015, 16:20

Pretty sure they mean that players will be able to increase their MMR more quickly with each win. This still would probably require them to win against opponents with a better MMR though so low skill players shouldn't be getting matched with high skill players. It should hopefully allow newer high skill players to get into the upper ranks of matchmaking more quickly though.

Psyonix_Corey
12th Feb 2015, 16:24
Hey guys, heads up -

The matchmaking update ran into some issues during deployment, so those changes have been delayed. We may be able to roll out a hotfix separately, still investigating.

Agggh has the right of it regarding the MMR changes.

Saikocat
12th Feb 2015, 16:26
I've updated the patch notes above to remove the matchmaking changes, and will add those back in once we push those out. We'll keep you updated!

You may experience a little bumpiness temporarily while we bring all the servers back online, bear with us.

Jallford
12th Feb 2015, 17:18
Hey guys, heads up -

The matchmaking update ran into some issues during deployment, so those changes have been delayed. We may be able to roll out a hotfix separately, still investigating.

Agggh has the right of it regarding the MMR changes.I'd like to echo that agggh! Here's hoping it's fixed soon.

Jmthebigman
12th Feb 2015, 17:35
Sadly i keep ending up with people who dont wanna teamwork...
just got paired up with a premade of 3 who blatantly didnt cover me. So I stopped hell even second round told them they were on their own. they responded with: why should we aid you. me: cause I also cover your ass. them: not a good reason.

Im way more in favor of the CB setting with levels. That way I can find a room with people around my level (usually people who do teamwork) and actually have some fun. Ok they might be better or worse but they atleast do the basics so the game is enjoyable. instead of getting paired up with some selfish kids (you cant tell me an adult with a healthy brain would refuse teamwork)....

Da_Wolv
12th Feb 2015, 18:11
I've updated the patch notes above to remove the matchmaking changes, and will add those back in once we push those out. We'll keep you updated!

You may experience a little bumpiness temporarily while we bring all the servers back online, bear with us.

http://www.zombies4breakfast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/darth-vader-noooo.jpg

SirRudyMan
12th Feb 2015, 18:29
Im way more in favor of the CB setting with levels. That way I can find a room with people around my level (usually people who do teamwork) and actually have some fun. Ok they might be better or worse but they atleast do the basics so the game is enjoyable. instead of getting paired up with some selfish kids (you cant tell me an adult with a healthy brain would refuse teamwork)....

I agree. I really like to see the levels of other players again. What fun is it to raise the level cap to 50 if no one can see your level?

In my experience, hiding the level doesn't stop people from leaving the game.

Levels are shown in countless other PvP multiplayer games, why not in Nosgoth? :confused:

Psyonix_Corey
12th Feb 2015, 19:38
MM updates have been deployed.

Korbinz
12th Feb 2015, 21:10
MM updates have been deployed.
and out when?

Ghosthree3
12th Feb 2015, 23:18
Should update the game_updates page to show the MM changes the OP has in this thread. I was pretty upset when I checked it and saw not one mention of MM at all.

shinros
13th Feb 2015, 00:13
Question are the summoner execution sound effect fix in the pipeline to be added in the game? Since in her class warfare it seems her executions have been fixed and they sound gruesome.

KaineShadory
13th Feb 2015, 05:35
still no proper Party System.

lucinvampire
13th Feb 2015, 10:24
Below are the patch notes for our February 12th patch.

Matchmaking

Improvements to matchmaking are ongoing. In this update, we have made a few specific changes that we will be monitoring closely:
-

Yeah the pool wait is longer but sadly in FP the matches are still really uneven (well the ones I’ve played), either winning by 10+ or losing by 10+. I had one even match in about 3 1/2 hrs. Do you happen to know if there are any planned to improve the MMR in FP?

Vampmaster
13th Feb 2015, 10:58
Yeah the pool wait is longer but sadly in FP the matches are still really uneven (well the ones I’ve played), either winning by 10+ or losing by 10+. I had one even match in about 3 1/2 hrs. Do you happen to know if there are any planned to improve the MMR in FP?

I wonder if FP uses the same MMR values as TDM. I don't think it should, since it's a different skill set and I don't think it would be possible to make one mode exactly as difficult as the other. I've been finding FP slightly easier just because it forces players into more predictable behavior, but if I do well in several FP matches, don't want to be suddenly out matched when i return to TDM.

Also, FP's playerbase is much smaller, so the tighter restrictions would mean it takes quite a long time to find a match.

MasterZtark
13th Feb 2015, 15:00
I wonder if FP uses the same MMR values as TDM. I don't think it should, since it's a different skill set and I don't think it would be possible to make one mode exactly as difficult as the other. I've been finding FP slightly easier just because it forces players into more predictable behavior, but if I do well in several FP matches, don't want to be suddenly out matched when i return to TDM.

Also, FP's playerbase is much smaller, so the tighter restrictions would mean it takes quite a long time to find a match.

I agree, every gametype should have its own MMR ranking. The strategy involved in a game like TDM is not the same as something like FP or the many possibly gametypes there could be in the future. Nothing worse than getting a match that looks balanced based on slaying skill, just to lose horribly (or win easily - no challenge) because one of the great slayers just doesn't understand how to play an objective-based gametype.

Obviously everyone started at the same "rank" when the MMR was first introduced in TDM and it caused some uneven matches naturally, but that has started to settle down already now that people and arrived at the MMR they should be at and the game is starting to put people into the appropriate matches (for the most part anyway). This will happen again for each new gametype introduced, but I think it is very necessary.

ApollosBow
15th Feb 2015, 04:17
please consider bumping the Bolt damage per second by 5 & increase the speed reduction to 30%, the aoe isnt that big and people usually get out before the explosion hits even still, perhaps increase throwing speed to alleviate this, on average I take off maybe 75dmg on 2 or 3 targets, Hellstrike takes 300+ damage off in the same situation......

CPG_Tidus
21st Feb 2015, 20:08
matchmaking is way too long for the small benefit the changes give we are sitting here 5-10 minutes per queue instead of on a bad day 1-2