PDA

View Full Version : WEAPONS Alchemist cannon with ammo that contains an accelerant

TheDreamcrusher
6th Feb 2015, 20:23
I wanted to make a suggestion for one of the alchemist cannons and that would be a cannon that does lower damage with its ammo but either increases the damage from fire effects or prolongs them when a vampire is exposed to fire from abilities or the Storm Bow.

I was thinking of something that could replace the Sticky Cannon because I feel it is not a great weapon, being you're fighting at point blank and the only thing it really overcomes is Evasion. The delay in blast can get you killed. Seeing the new Piercing Pistols reminded me of that idea and I wanted to make the suggestion.

Ygdrasel
6th Feb 2015, 20:31
If you're fighting at point-blank as a regular matter of course, stop. You have a gun. Stay at range as often as you can.

Sticky Cannon's fine. Evasion, fleeing vampires in general, Charging Tyrants, Sentinels. It's got uses. You've also got two or three replacement options already...

This seems...Iffy. How long would that damage boost last? Is there a cooldown for the boost effect? I just picture an Alchemist shooting this thing relentlessly while others pile on fire-based attacks...

TheDreamcrusher
6th Feb 2015, 20:49
If you're fighting at point-blank as a regular matter of course, stop. You have a gun. Stay at range as often as you can.

Sticky Cannon's fine. Evasion, fleeing vampires in general, Charging Tyrants, Sentinels. It's got uses. You've also got two or three replacement options already...

This seems...Iffy. How long would that damage boost last? Is there a cooldown for the boost effect? I just picture an Alchemist shooting this thing relentlessly while others pile on fire-based attacks...

So you're saying it has the range of a repeater, bow, or pistol? What game are you playing?

And what uses does it really have besides overcoming Evasion? If you've landed your shot on a fleeing vampire, it doesn't matter if he dies around a corner. It does matter if he's run around the corner and slain a fleeing team mate.

edit: As far as the damage increase, something similar to Mark Target I imagine.

Ygdrasel
6th Feb 2015, 23:45
So you're saying it has the range of a repeater, bow, or pistol? What game are you playing?

And what uses does it really have besides overcoming Evasion? If you've landed your shot on a fleeing vampire, it doesn't matter if he dies around a corner. It does matter if he's run around the corner and slain a fleeing team mate.

edit: As far as the damage increase, something similar to Mark Target I imagine.

I'm saying it has the range of a grenade launcher, which is capable of launching quite a ways farther than point-blank range.

If you've landed a sticky shot on a fleeing vampire, the bomb stays with him and damages him despite his escape, perhaps even killing him given that he's in a state where he sees fit to flee. You can stick them to charging tyrants, flying/kidnapping Sentinels...With proper timing, you can line a doorway with them as a vampire runs through. You can stick a Deceiver through his Illusions. If you couldn't think up a single use for bombs that cling like glue to their targets, I don't know what to tell you.

Okay, so that's the damage increase. Would the duration be comparable? And it's not a slotted ability with cooldown so we still run into the scenario of said Alchemist firing constantly to keep the damage boost on. At that point, you might as well just buff all the fire abilities themselves. You gotta figure these details.

TheDreamcrusher
7th Feb 2015, 05:09
I'm saying it has the range of a grenade launcher, which is capable of launching quite a ways farther than point-blank range.

If you've landed a sticky shot on a fleeing vampire, the bomb stays with him and damages him despite his escape, perhaps even killing him given that he's in a state where he sees fit to flee. You can stick them to charging tyrants, flying/kidnapping Sentinels...With proper timing, you can line a doorway with them as a vampire runs through. You can stick a Deceiver through his Illusions. If you couldn't think up a single use for bombs that cling like glue to their targets, I don't know what to tell you.

Okay, so that's the damage increase. Would the duration be comparable? And it's not a slotted ability with cooldown so we still run into the scenario of said Alchemist firing constantly to keep the damage boost on. At that point, you might as well just buff all the fire abilities themselves. You gotta figure these details.

My point about them sticking vs. doing damage directly is that it's really a detriment by having a delayed blast since you've already actually connected with the shot, and this is most apparent if you are being engaged by a vampire. There's absolutely nothing gained in this game from the grenades sticking to a target besides being able to damage a Reaver after Evasion activation just like the Storm Bow. Hitting Sentinels is possible, but not feasible with good flyers. I have attempted both methods of preemptively firing grenades that stick or bounce. Sticky grenades are alright. I find more utility with being able to round corners with grenades that bounce.

As for the details... I'm not a dev nor has a dev responded to my posts or any of the mods. I post my thoughts for reading and inspiration. I feel my reasoning about the Viscous Cannon is pretty sound. I imagine the most useful scenario would be to have the accelerant grenades only affect fire and explosive abilities and would improve the damage they do, similar to the 10% boost (I'm remembering off-hand) that Mark Target does. By being selective to explosives and fire, it's not a straight 10% boost like Mark Target, but other Alchemist cannons, Fire Wall, Flamethrower, Hunter grenades, Explosive Shot, Blinding Shot, Scout Storm Bow, and Scout Trap would all be the beneficiaries. If it's base damage were 200, a 10% boost would make it 220 per following shot, and similarly the explosive portion of a Storm Bow shot would be 121 and 302 for a charged shot, respectively. The debuff can apply to multiple targets if they're struck by the damage and lasts 2 seconds or so and is renewed every time they are damaged by the accelerant cannon.