PDA

View Full Version : Classes and Matches

TheVagabond
5th Feb 2015, 09:59
Reader,

First off, I'd like to suggest the ability to log in, pick which class you'd like to play as, and que. The game would match you with three teammates and four enemies like normal. It could be a single round, or best two out of three. So you can play the class you enjoy the most without having to switch to vampire if you didn't want to.

I issue that I can see is if there is some sort of data showing that there would be to many people choosing one side more than the other- thus making it hard to get games started.

Secondly, I know I read something about a large part of the game being a contest of melee versus ranged, though I'm not sure if that is a design goal strictly set or not, but I think it would be cool if there was a werewolf character. It could either be a form you stay in through the match, or if dropped items were implemented, ti could be a neat way to create a melee-range hybrid. Being able to climb and bound similar to reavers, then switching to human form to pick up a slain comrades weapon to launch some quarrels at a sentinel flying overhead.

Another interesting character concept would be a knight. Heavy armor. One handed weapon with shield (defensive), two handed weapon ( high damage), or polearm (balance of damage, and range). Mace and Shield would obviously focus on counter attacking; it's right click being to block. Zweihander would just try to wail on people, right click could be a sweep. The pollaxe could be interesting as it's right click could be something like bracing the polearm; swooping sentinels,pouncing reavers, and charging tyrants beware.

Cheers,
Michael

--Ram--
5th Feb 2015, 10:26
Playing a single round doesn't work in this type of game. Much of the balance revolves around the fact that both teams play a round as the human and vampire faction. Thus any balance difference between the two sides cancels out, and the team that played better overall wins. In other words if humans are stronger in the current meta, and you just play human and win the round, you had an advantage. If you play both factions the match is fair.

You are surprisingly not that far off describing the next human class to be releaseded. No Zweihanders but the Shield Bearer is an armored dude and will have the ability to block.

As for shapeshifting werewolves that are reavers that can morph and pick up heavy pistols and composite bows... sounds genius lets do it and bring rooftop sniping to new levels of awesome.

TheVagabond
5th Feb 2015, 10:31
Playing a single round doesn't work in this type of game. Much of the balance revolves around the fact that both teams play a round as the human and vampire faction. Thus any balance difference between the two sides cancels out, and the team that played better overall wins. In other words if humans are stronger in the current meta, and you just play human and win the round, you had an advantage. If you play both factions the match is fair.

Hello,

That assumes that each individual player is equally good with at least one class in each faction though, doesn't it? I would assume there would be no advantage because each person is playing the class they play and/or like the best. Thus it is simply comes down to luck of the draw: which group was given the best players by the match making system, which is how it currently works in my experience.

Cheers,
Michael

--Ram--
5th Feb 2015, 11:06
Hello,

That assumes that each individual player is equally good with at least one class in each faction though, doesn't it? I would assume there would be no advantage because each person is playing the class they play and/or like the best. Thus it is simply comes down to luck of the draw: which group was given the best players by the match making system, which is how it currently works in my experience.

Cheers,
Michael

If you are terrible at playing humans and can only play one class of vamp well, then you deserve to lose against a team than can do both. Also if you can only play alchemist on humans and get counter picked and play against all sentinels, you also deserve to lose if you don't adapt and pick a lineup better suited to what you are playing against.