PDA

View Full Version : ABILITIES How to fix echolocation

JanusDominus
4th Feb 2015, 00:25
1. Reduce the cooldown
2. Make it so that every time a Sentinel uses it, each member of the team can see where the humans are, not just the Sentinel
3. Tint it red and rename it to "Blood vision" or something.

calypso-694
4th Feb 2015, 00:38
1. Reduce the cooldown
2. Make it so that every time a Sentinel uses it, each member of the team can see where the humans are, not just the Sentinel
3. Tint it red and rename it to "Blood vision" or something.

1. they have perks to reduce cooldowns and you can stack that if you have an ability with a cooldown add on and the perk equipped.
2. its meant for sentinal who can be used as recon for your team and its good for picking out a single target in the madness of combt
3. Sentinals are giant bats more or less and it looks fine as it is.

something about echolocation I do think needs to be fixed or reworked (and the devs said they were working on it) is that originally if I recall correctly using echolocation back in early closed beta the description said it messed with humans aim or vision if you used it close enough to a group due to it being a high frequency screech (much like bats) that has yet to be done. it should be done lol

APredatoryFlatworm
4th Feb 2015, 03:34
Agreed with your #2. Although, the range would have to be quite good to make anyone seriously consider it over Aerial Bomb, which is amazing.

I'd suggest your #2, along with putting it on the Wind Gust slot. Perhaps swap this slot with Puncture's slot, to allow heavily melee-oriented ambush Sentinel builds. As it stands right now, everyone uses Aerial Bomb and Gust, with a few Punctures here or there.

Ygdrasel
4th Feb 2015, 05:16
2. its meant for sentinal who can be used as recon for your team

Problem is that it's useless in a recon role because it only alerts the Sentinel, who then has to land (lest he be an easy target while distracted) and tediously direct the rest of his team to their prey via teamchat.

JanusDominus
4th Feb 2015, 07:08
1. they have perks to reduce cooldowns and you can stack that if you have an ability with a cooldown add on and the perk equipped.
2. its meant for sentinal who can be used as recon for your team and its good for picking out a single target in the madness of combt

something about echolocation I do think needs to be fixed or reworked (and the devs said they were working on it) is that originally if I recall correctly using echolocation back in early closed beta the description said it messed with humans aim or vision if you used it close enough to a group due to it being a high frequency screech (much like bats) that has yet to be done. it should be done lol

2. For the time that it takes for Sentinel to use it and write up in chat where they are, the others will find the humans on their own. If we eliminate this time gap and make the info available right away, this will help make it more useful than it is now (ie not useful at all)
3. No, no they are not. Their eventual evolution would be more dragon-like. Turelim are the ones who will get to play with sound and become basically wingless bats.

Rago600
4th Feb 2015, 07:52
Evertime a Sentinel uses Echolocation other People (Teammates)should have it too ?

NOT AT ALL !
+ Unfair Advantage
+ Looks Stupid Optical

Its not a good idea, not at all.

I always try new Builts, some stay some change frome time to time.(Because its fun just to Play)

Humans are not that Hard to Find
+They Have known Spawnpoints thats the Reason why i use other Stuff than the Fathometer...

JanusDominus
4th Feb 2015, 08:30
Evertime a Sentinel uses Echolocation other People (Teammates)should have it too ?

NOT AT ALL !
+ Unfair Advantage
+ Looks Stupid Optical

I always try new Builts, some stay some change frome time to time.(Because its fun just to Play)

+They Have known Spawnpoints thats the Reason why i use other Stuff than the Fathometer...
One could say that being able to throw mist on the ground so your teammates could heal is an unfair advantage or being able to completely shield them from damage is an unfair advantage. But those classes trade in their most destructive abilities so they could give an edge to their team and so would the Sentinel. As it is, the Echolocation offers no advantage. And while humans do have known spawn points, some know how to hide really well. Also some of them have invisible scouts posted on high vantage points and knowing where they are would be pretty useful. As for the visual look, I suggested to change it as well.

Vampmaster
4th Feb 2015, 09:38
I don't know the side effect should be, but it needs something besides just showing the enemy positions. Daniel said the Razielim were spellbinders, so maybe something involving that?

Also, besides the fact that they weren't simply 'giant bats', but mutated mash-ups just like the other clans, Echolocation was one of Turels abilities when Raziel fought him in Defiance. Turel evolved the huge ears and highly sensitive hearing because of how dark it was in his smoky overcast territory. It wasn't worthwhile to rely on his eyes, so he lost most of his eyesight and evolved the hearing instead. It's a big part of his backstory.

Tube_Reaver suggested 'Scent of Blood' as the name of the ability, due to the fact that the Razielim had been starved of blood for so long that the smell of it would drive them into a frenzy. I think that explanation is perfect for their background in the lore. Heat Vision and Dragon's Eye could be alternatives, but I like Tube_Reaver's suggestion the most.

Thamior2311
4th Feb 2015, 10:00
How about a simple solution? Maybe the echolocation would give a simple damage buff as long as it's in effect? It could be explained as "seeing" weak spots in human's armor or even better "seeing" his vitals or something.

JanusDominus
4th Feb 2015, 10:44
I don't know the side effect should be, but it needs something besides just showing the enemy positions. Daniel said the Razielim were spellbinders, so maybe something involving that?

Also, besides the fact that they weren't simply 'giant bats', but mutated mash-ups just like the other clans, Echolocation was one of Turels abilities when Raziel fought him in Defiance. Turel evolved the huge ears and highly sensitive hearing because of how dark it was in his smoky overcast territory. It wasn't worthwhile to rely on his eyes, so he lost most of his eyesight and evolved the hearing instead. It's a big part of his backstory.

Tube_Reaver suggested 'Scent of Blood' as the name of the ability, due to the fact that the Razielim had been starved of blood for so long that the smell of it would drive them into a frenzy. I think that explanation is perfect for their background in the lore. Heat Vision and Dragon's Eye could be alternatives, but I like Tube_Reaver's suggestion the most.

Scent of Blood is a good one.

Ygdrasel
4th Feb 2015, 18:11

NOT AT ALL !
+ Unfair Advantage
+ Looks Stupid Optical

As unfair an advantage as the Sentinel itself being a big flying target that can be hit from across a map?

Okay...So how do we make it useful? Or do we just remove it because it's literally completely useless?

@Vampmaster: I like it. :D

Lord_Aevum
4th Feb 2015, 18:15

Those arguing otherwise are correct. The idea of the Razielim manipulating sound and hearing in that manner makes about as much sense as the Zephonim swimming underwater or the Dumahim sprouting wings.

Firehex
4th Feb 2015, 20:21
2. Make it so that every time a Sentinel uses it, each member of the team can see where the humans are, not just the Sentinel - sign for this. That is all i need to make me use this skill =)