PDA

View Full Version : Life Is Strange - Feedback and Suggestions

Grimoire
3rd Feb 2015, 18:56
Post your feedback and any suggestions you might have in mind here in this thread (or feel free to create your own thread on the subject!)
You never know who might be reading.

Auric180
4th Feb 2015, 04:32
I'm just glad not all have to be done via time travel, some can be done in the first go.

I just hope to see more awareness of Max choosing not to use her powers.

Like telltale noticing our choice of being silent they add some references and awareness to the dialogs of it. :)

ripax11
4th Feb 2015, 09:40
Let's get started: I enjoyed this chapter. The art is good, cosplayable characters, nice ost, things to explore, not only the objects but actions as well when you rewind.

I used to play like "I will be a nice person." but sometimes I thought it wouldn't bring me a good ending, that's rewind work for. See and talk and back in time and pretend that it never happened and use what you learned, OK this is cheating, I know, but can help to resolve a crime.

There are some precautions I took: not warn the ball coming, not sign the petition about camaras at school mostly because her "teletransport" power. I wonder how no one noticed she is in a place then suddenly she is in other. Is the main chara so not noticed? Maybe this camera worrying will make me not get an important evidence about something... I don't want all school knows she has powers, it may be troublesome.

CTCCoco
8th Feb 2015, 00:48
I'm really enjoying Life is Strange so far but, why isn't there an option to disable the "This action will have consequences" thing?

http://enemyslime.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015-01-30_01122.jpg

In my opinion, it brings down the great immersion feel that you achieved, it's like a reminder to the player that everything is programmed and that only X choices will trigger something. Why don't you let the player to guess by himself what may have an effect, to question everything he choose to do even if it looks tiny? It's much better, because the player doesn't have a clue about what will matter in the end, and it feels much more natural that way.

Ok, if you think it's a good idea to have this by default, fine, but why not an option to turn it off for people like me? It can't be that hard to add and I know there is more people that don't want those notifications.

Thanks for reading.

julietxjules
8th Feb 2015, 01:11
Hello CTCCoco.

I think you might have more success with this thread if you had posted it in the 'feedback and suggestions' section. Your thread is primarily based on suggestion and may be automatically moved there by the moderators anyway.

:)

CTCCoco
8th Feb 2015, 01:16
Hello CTCCoco.

I think you might have more success with this thread if you had posted it in the 'feedback and suggestions' section. Your thread is primarily based on suggestion and may be automatically moved there by the moderators anyway.

Oops, sorry. I only see "General", "Episode 1" and "Technical support". Where can I find the "suggestions" section?

julietxjules
8th Feb 2015, 01:21
LOL! No need to apologise to me about it. I'm just helping out.

The feedback thread is in the very same section where you posted this thread, (look down a couple lines below your thread and you will see it) but I don't think they like people to 'double post' - so to be safe I would leave it where it is for now and see what happens.

CTCCoco
8th Feb 2015, 01:25
LOL! No need to apologise to me about it. I'm just helping out.

The feedback thread is in the very same section where you posted this thread, (look down a couple lines below your thread and you will see it) but I don't think they like people to 'double post' - so to be safe I would leave it where it is for now and see what happens.

Oh, lol, I see now, thanks. :D

Yea, I shouldn't doble-post now, so I'll just leave it here.

Grimoire
8th Feb 2015, 02:26
Well, I did say that...

Post your feedback and any suggestions you might have in mind here in this thread (or feel free to create your own thread on the subject!)
You never know who might be reading.

So you did nothing wrong, CTCCoco. ;)
(However, I decided to merge the threads since the subject was brought up and, as julietxjules points out, it's more practical to have these kinds of things gathered in one and the same place.)

TwoTonTom
8th Feb 2015, 09:47
I absolutely loved the first episode. I love interactive games like this, Game of Thrones and Heavy Rain in which your decisions influence the story. The nostalgic elements and atmosphere drew me into the game. The only aspect that I didn't like was the rewind feature. I like having to make choices and sticking with them and dealing with the consequences. Having the ability to change choices I made pulls me out a little. Strange saying that as I loved the game. I guess I would have loved the game even more without the rewind feature.

It's so good, I find the waiting time for Episode 2 so difficult.

julietxjules
9th Feb 2015, 07:05
It's so good, I find the waiting time for Episode 2 so difficult.

Yes, TwoTonTom, the wait is excruciatingly long! And what! You didn't like the rewind feature!?!? Bad Boy! :nut:

EternalAmbiguity
12th Mar 2015, 02:32
One thing I am noticing is the very restrictive field-of-view. Now, I understand that it can increase the "intimacy" of the gameplay, but for me it's a little inhibitive when I'm trying to look around.

EternalAmbiguity
14th Mar 2015, 16:50
Additionally--

This isn't a huge deal, but Max's walking is kind of poor. She glides rather than walks. Now, it seems like when she runs it isn't this way. But her walking is not good.

Additionally, one thing you should really, REALLY consider taking out is Max second-guessing herself after every one of those "big" choices where time freezes (like comfort/make fun of Victoria, help Chloe/don't help, etc.). Once you've played through both sides--once you've rewound to play through the other side--it sounds very disingenuous for her to always question it. I get that you did this to make it clear to the player that they could go back, but seeing as how literally the premise of the game is the time-reversal mechanic, you can justifiably expect players to understand that you can go back.

One more thing: The pre-rendered, 30 FPS ending video has got to go. I play on PC, with 60 FPS at all times, and it's totally jarring to be forced down to thirty, it's a touch jerky. There's no reason to lock it at 30, because this is not a huge game (and it's digital), you've got plenty of space. And since all it is is a pre-rendered scene, you could have easily rendered and recorded at 60. Please do so in the future (or alternatively don't make it pre-rendered at all).

I hope I don't come off as a jerk, I really really like this game and pretty much every day since I played episode 1 I've looked for info on when episode 2 is coming out.

EternalAmbiguity
24th Mar 2015, 01:21
Since we don't have a forum yet, I'll do it here...

I'm only still at the beginning, but I like that we're seeing Max--how do I put this without sounding creepy: NOT in the same exact clothes we saw last episode. I don't know if she'll wind up in them (I hope not), but it's neat that they acknowledge that she's a human being who doesn't wear the same clothes every day.

I also like that some of the UI elements, like the journal and phone, are integrated into the game world, at least in the room.

Have to say I like the focus on science, on Max trying to find a scientific solution.

All the girls' music is rather lol, Victoria's in particular.

Well...that was MEAN, Victoria! Looked at the link--it's real, but apparently the video was removed.

Well, similar clothing, but I think the shirt is different. I think.

Expletive. That expletive little expletive! I'm not sure if Victoria's at fault here (I don't think so because of her words in the shower) but Nathan is an expletive expletive.

I personally think they're making Kate a little too passive, but I'm glad they aren't going anti-God or anything (far from it).

I'm very glad that Max doesn't second guess herself here, at least. I feel bad for telling Kate to wait, but I really do think it's the best option.

Samuel knows something. I am certain.

Gas is so expensive! :P

A Canadian. Classic, just classic.

They're teasing the guy in the RV very strongly.

Photo at the train yard: I knew that was coming. Well played, very well played.

The bonfire bottle--I admit I had to look that one up.

Yikes. Definitely did not shoot. I'm curious how that played out, but I'll wait until the next playthrough to find out.

That last name! NOT cool!

Yikes again. That Chloe and the train situation was tense. Well done.

Hmm. That conversation with Madsen...did not go as I expected. Paints him in a bit better light.

They think Pluto is a planet!

"Yang" isn't pronounced like that, it's pronounced "yahng."

Holy cow. Wow. Just wow.

^ That wow was for Max's ability. But for that whole part...wow again. I wonder how differently that goes if you didn't help Kate out at all.

Yikes! What a choice. Jeez man. Jeez...

Pretty impressive overall. And kind of sobering. That's all I have for now.

There might be a couple minor bugs--I know I helped out Warren--I told him to use lots of potassium, and there was a huge explosion and he said "she blinded me with science..." but according to the ending thing I "didn't help him."

At the ending "teaser" photos I saw a link to the website, which seems to link to help phone numbers or websites. Very good idea--it's a part of the story (and a pretty darned realistic part too), and promoting that is good.

Edit: A comment on Steam:

"I have to say, this type of thing is where I hope Life is Strange really shines in future episodes and doesn't go all Telltale on us and have Kate either die in the very next episode no matter what you did, or just get shoved into the background. This is a chance for consequences in games and real life-or-death decision making to really pay off.

Please, if you're reading this Dontnod, as much as I know the story is already pretty much planned out for all parts, don't just trivialize this situation."

I agree. Please, even if you have to delay, do this choice justice.

theironlotus
29th Mar 2015, 07:42
Made an account just for this, even on the off chance my voice might be heard.

First off, I love the game. I really do. I find the attempt to tackle certain themes in such a multi-faceted (and often realistic) way is terrific. And I really enjoy the weirdness of the game...the best characters are by far and away the ones with distinct personalities, and this has several of those.

To @TwoTonTom, who dislikes the rewind function, aside from it being an in-game mechanic, you can just choose not to rewind. Seriously, if you don't like the option to change major choices, just don't. I've started doing something where I use a mandatory self-imposed amount of times I'm "able" to rewind - barring major plot parts where I know I'll get stuck otherwise. It limits your choices and makes you realize that you can only use your gift sometimes, which I find really fun and it makes me really think about my choices more often.

I do agree with @CTCCoco, who suggests adding a toggle to remove the top left bit suggesting your choices will have an impact, as well as the music indication (if possible). My experience with scripting is limited but I've done similar things before and it's not very difficult to add a option in the settings for that sort of thing. But it's preference, not a huge factor on enjoyment of the game.

To @EternalAmbiguity, I agree, but I think that it will be remedied by having her stay in the hospital, maybe having her text you occasionally. Much easier to program lines of dialogue without animations and sequences, as well as voice acting. Can just throw text in and maybe have her appear at the end of the game, assuming it's not all rewound.

Time for my own criticisms and opinions...I'm not going to criticize the lip-synching, as technical things don't bother me, though I do understand the concern. Honestly, my biggest issue is by far and away the inconsistency of the dialogue. There are some times where I feel like it's appropriately "high-school-awkward," but other times, it comes across as way too forced and fake...like non-American late-teens trying to write American late-teen dialogue. Which is exactly what this is, but I feel like it can be so, so much better than that.

For examples of what was done well, I really enjoy certain levels of awkwardness - for example, Warren is well written, even though he says a lot of goofy stuff. He does come across as someone who doesn't pick up on social queues. It fits his character perfectly.

Other characters, like Daniel, make use of the awkwardness well. Samuel is great, he reminds me of a character from Twin Peaks or Deadly Premonition, which I'm sure you all love to hear. I like hearing Max say "Wowser" since it's kind of a trademark for her, and I like how Kate was mysterious enough to intrigue. Even Victoria and Mr. Jefferson have their moments.

As for what was done poorly, I hate to say it, but this last episode was worse than the first episode overall, in terms of dialogue. Certain characters, like Chloe, are so all over the place. She'll say some things that fit really well for her character, but then she'll try and force certain language and lingo that doesn't fit her character at all. She isn't a tryhard.

Then characters like the skater boys are just...over the top. Kids don't talk like that, late teens definitely don't. The jocks come off as awkward really often too. Often Max will say things that just aren't reasonable for her character to say...at least, given what I've been told of her.

I just feel like you really need more feedback from Americans, especially people who study the language and how people speak, since it doesn't really come off as actually being set in Oregon sometimes. Which sucks, because other times, it fits really well. It's not even the acting, a lot of it is great, even though there is some weird delivery occasionally. But one of the biggest complaints I constantly see about this game is the dialogue being "forced" and how "people don't really talk that way."

I hate that, because you're all trying to tell such a good story, with strong female characters (a real rarity) tackling underrepresented but very real topics, and some people write it off just because it's "cheesy." I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to assume I could write better than you all necessarily...but I really do think having the dialogue be reviewed by a decent sample size to pick out things that sound "awkward" before the voiceovers are recorded would be a good idea. It's all pretty easily fixable.

For example, when Max says "what are you gonna do, pop a cap in his ass?" it sounds horribly, horribly forced. A normal kid, especially Max, would just say "what are you gonna do, shoot him?" It's simple. Doesn't need to be overthought. The use of vernacular really goes overboard, especially when guys like the skaters shout about "wow, you're such a poser!" when a skater would more likely be like, "ugh, quit trying so hard." It's more natural, more cutting and mean. It's not always bad - Victoria's VA does a good job with her "sadface" and "go f*** your-selfie" because it's kind of Mean Girls-esque.

But Chloe saying "awesome sauce," and people calling things "epic" is just...around 5-10 years late. It almost feels like you need someone more in tune with internet culture reviewing this stuff. Because the gist and the message you're trying to deliver is almost always good. It's the execution that's sloppy. When in doubt, "cool" substitutes much better for something like "epic," and "f***ing nice" substitutes just fine for "awesome sauce."

It's not even that using vernacular is bad, but high school kids don't overuse it THAT much, and you need to be more with-the-times. Someone like Mr. Jefferson using "awesome sauce" would be fitting, in a sense. But I can better see skaters using "sus" (meaning suspect) or "steezy" (stylish+easy), maybe "grommet" (a kid/someone new to skating) or even "rad" and "sick." Not all the time, not every other word, but it's fine to throw in.

I dunno. I just see so much potential for the dialogue, and potential for this game to be recognized as something groundbreaking, but right now the forced and cringe-worthy bits are holding it back. See? Say cringe-worthy! That's something that works. But a lot of the lingo is just five years too late, or overdone.

That's my piece anyways. Not sure if anyone notable will read it, but worth a shot!

Stellazira
31st Mar 2015, 19:43
In terms of dialect, something like this may be insightful:
http://spark.rstudio.com/jkatz/SurveyMaps/
This is how people in the US describe a "sweetened carbonated beverage" (#105):
http://spark.rstudio.com/jkatz/Data/comp-105.png

On one hand I find some of the dialogue weird and dated, but it's been a while since I left high school and I live north of the border. It kind of makes sense that some of the dialogue would be weird to some people. I'm still not a fan of it personally, but if the devs wondered the halls of Oregon high schools and colleges/universities for a bit prior to writing it, then that's probably not far off the mark.

TroublesomeBirdsong
6th Apr 2015, 11:55
I know that DONTNOD have made Chloe and Max's relationship deliberately ambiguous as to whether it could be romantic/sexual or not, which is smart, because if you want it to be, then you can see it that way, and if not, that's fine too. But I kind of hope, maybe in the final episode, they make it an actual decision for the player to cement their own headcanon. The way Chloe talks about Rachel certainly implies they may have been in a romantic/sexual relationship, but Max is less clear, especially given her interactions with Warren. Perhaps Chloe could try to kiss Max, and Max has the choice to 'return the kiss' or 'politely pull back' (Not that a kiss alone would really be enough to solidify how to categorise a relationship, but it would be a step towards further personalising Max). It wouldn't necessarily be a decision that actually affects the storyline either, just something to validate either option as acceptable.

TheEmissary
6th Apr 2015, 12:50
The dialogue is certainly the the biggest problem so far. It may not be terrible (and overall I enjoy the game very much), but a lot of the dialogue feels a little bit forced. I won't go into detail, because I'm not a native speaker and sometimes it might just be me, but it would probably a good idea to take another look at it.

Riversky
18th Apr 2015, 23:46
I know that DONTNOD have made Chloe and Max's relationship deliberately ambiguous as to whether it could be romantic/sexual or not, which is smart, because if you want it to be, then you can see it that way, and if not, that's fine too. But I kind of hope, maybe in the final episode, they make it an actual decision for the player to cement their own headcanon. The way Chloe talks about Rachel certainly implies they may have been in a romantic/sexual relationship, but Max is less clear, especially given her interactions with Warren. Perhaps Chloe could try to kiss Max, and Max has the choice to 'return the kiss' or 'politely pull back' (Not that a kiss alone would really be enough to solidify how to categorise a relationship, but it would be a step towards further personalising Max). It wouldn't necessarily be a decision that actually affects the storyline either, just something to validate either option as acceptable.

THIS. I would LOVE to see this option. It'd make everyone happy. Inclusiveness! :friends:

smashouille
25th Apr 2015, 00:21
Hi thank you for this beautiful game, I really enjoy the immersion, it reminds me The last of us in term of story telling and strength of immersion in the characters (without the zombies thing of course :p). This is a great game !

But what I really don't like is the fact that you released it as episodes so we have to wait 2 months before continuing the game, and that really breaks how much people are into the game. Why ? Because from the time you played the first episode and the time you will end the story, about one year would have passed, and probably after all that you won't even bother finishing the game because you would have forget about it....

And this is really too bad, especially when the price of the full game is so low. Seriously when I saw the trailer I bought the complete 5 episodes right away, because it looked really cool, interesting and different from the other games, and also it was cheap price so I wouldn't loose much money anyway.
I am saying that if you guys choose episodes release in case you were afraid people won't buy the full game at first. Ok $5 an episode is very cheap, but $20 the full game is super cheap too, and I don't think people were afraid to spend that money at first and get a full game.

Ok you get it, I am really into the game, and like everybody I can't wait to play the next episode (when are the release dates by the way ? that is not clear..). But I really do think this kind of episodes release breaks the immersion of the story, which is too bad.

Next time if you make a game as good as this one, please please finish it before to put it on the market.

Thank you for reading and for making this awesome game.
Now stop reading Internet forums and go back to work to release episode 3 !!! :D

EternalAmbiguity
25th Apr 2015, 00:52
THIS. I would LOVE to see this option. It'd make everyone happy. Inclusiveness! :friends:

Do people not remember Max's comments about sk8r bois?

Genesis1111
26th Apr 2015, 10:17
I don't know if someone already suggest that somewhere, but It would be great if there was an option (in settings) so we can pass dialogue (for collectible mode, or if we play for the 2nd time etc..)

TroublesomeBirdsong
26th Apr 2015, 11:46
Do people not remember Max's comments about sk8r bois?

Do people not understand how bisexuality works?

mysterycycle
26th Apr 2015, 22:31

Or teenaged experimentation...or confusion...

EternalAmbiguity
27th Apr 2015, 02:29

Do people assume bisexuality?

Or teenaged experimentation...or confusion...

Max may be a teenager, but she's really not "confused," as in "trying to find herself." They've been careful to portray her as one of, if not THE most stable person(s) in all of Blackwell.

I find it hard to buy her being "curious" or what have you. She's past that stage of growing up, and she's either one or the other.

I personally hope they stay away from it, with both Chloe AND Warren. This story is about friendship, not about romance. SE's done a good job of that lately (Final Fantasy XIII series, XV) and I hope it continues.

TroublesomeBirdsong
27th Apr 2015, 12:25

I assume bisexuality is a possibility, which is all this was ever about.

Max may be a teenager, but she's really not "confused," as in "trying to find herself." They've been careful to portray her as one of, if not THE most stable person(s) in all of Blackwell.

I find it hard to buy her being "curious" or what have you. She's past that stage of growing up, and she's either one or the other.

I personally hope they stay away from it, with both Chloe AND Warren. This story is about friendship, not about romance.

If you say so. - http://www.united-academics.org/magazine/homefeat/bisexuality-is-natural-for-women/

EternalAmbiguity
27th Apr 2015, 22:29
I assume bisexuality is a possibility, which is all this was ever about.

If you say so. - http://www.united-academics.org/magazine/homefeat/bisexuality-is-natural-for-women/

You mentioned nothing about besexuality initially, and your statements about Max and Warren imply that you think she doesn't like guys--but whatever. I really have no comment on the desire for a bisexual Max (outside of again not wanting romance at all), I only had one for the supposed desire for a lesbian Max.

As for the second, it's a shame I don't remember my old university logins so I can access some journal databases, but an examination of the abstract (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19941193) paints a completely different picture than the one in that blurb. No way of knowing if it's true or not without access the the actual article.

TroublesomeBirdsong
28th Apr 2015, 02:18
You mentioned nothing about besexuality initially, and your statements about Max and Warren imply that you think she doesn't like guys--but whatever.

I mentioned nothing about 'lesbianism' either, deliberately; so assuming exclusivity was just your reading.
And what I said about Warren didn't imply that Max 'doesn't like guys'. At most, it implies that she may not like Warren.
All I said about Warren was: "The way Chloe talks about Rachel certainly implies they may have been in a romantic/sexual relationship, but Max is less clear, especially given her interactions with Warren."
That is - Because of the way the game has Max interact with Warren, it is less clear whether or not Max's sexual identity could be anything other than heterosexual than Chloe's situation (implied relationship with Rachel). For instance, although I don't like the word, while Max seems to have 'friendzoned' Warren, the player is still given the option to go on a date with him to the drive-in.
If the game was pitching her as a heterosexual, that makes sense. If the game was pitching her as bisexual, that also works.
But if the game was pitching her as a lesbian, there wouldn't be an option to say 'yes' to the date, unless Max was stringing him along or somehow oblivious to Warren's intentions (and Max is certainly neither nefarious nor naive). Therefore Max must like guys, it's just 'less clear' whether she like girls too. I didn't specifically mention 'bisexuality', because I didn't want to label it, but also because I thought that was obviously the only way a possible romantic/sexual relationship between Chloe and Max would make sense in the game.

EternalAmbiguity
29th Apr 2015, 01:49
I mentioned nothing about 'lesbianism' either, deliberately; so assuming exclusivity was just your reading.
And what I said about Warren didn't imply that Max 'doesn't like guys'. At most, it implies that she may not like Warren.
All I said about Warren was: "The way Chloe talks about Rachel certainly implies they may have been in a romantic/sexual relationship, but Max is less clear, especially given her interactions with Warren."
That is - Because of the way the game has Max interact with Warren, it is less clear whether or not Max's sexual identity could be anything other than heterosexual than Chloe's situation (implied relationship with Rachel). For instance, although I don't like the word, while Max seems to have 'friendzoned' Warren, the player is still given the option to go on a date with him to the drive-in.
If the game was pitching her as a heterosexual, that makes sense. If the game was pitching her as bisexual, that also works.
But if the game was pitching her as a lesbian, there wouldn't be an option to say 'yes' to the date, unless Max was stringing him along or somehow oblivious to Warren's intentions (and Max is certainly neither nefarious nor naive). Therefore Max must like guys, it's just 'less clear' whether she like girls too. I didn't specifically mention 'bisexuality', because I didn't want to label it, but also because I thought that was obviously the only way a possible romantic/sexual relationship between Chloe and Max would make sense in the game.

Oh, wow. You're totally right. That was a complete comprehension fail on my part, I apologize. For some reason I saw literally the opposite of what you said; I'm not sure how.

Alvare
29th Apr 2015, 06:48
Couple of specific things I really would like seeing happening:

Max playing the guitar outside her dorm room.
Warren confessing his feelings for Max, also the option to respond to that properly.
Skipping stones with Chloe and Justin, Chloe sharing some of her dope with Max so she can get stoned too. (Perhaps mix that scene with some funny jokes)
Other clothing styles. I know Max is a bit insecure about herself but still, she should have other clothes in her wardrobe to use.
Max's vision keeps on telling her something, it's eating away on her and she can't sleep. She wanders outside at nighttime, exploring the school area.
Previous choices really mattered. People around you talk and act depending on what you did.
If you saved Kate, she will be recovering, she visits and thanks you.
More pranking on Victoria. I like the hateful relationship between her and Max.

Nox_Dogma
3rd May 2015, 23:00
first of all -> thank you :-)

- Option to change Max and Cloe`s Outfit

- Options for one of many possible relationships (max-cloe, max-warren, max-kate, warren-kate,.... )

- different guitarsongs -> option to play guitar solo for Cloe (warren, kate) with different effects
(rocking, smoothing, romantic, metal, ....) on Cloe (warren or kate, can be important for the relationship)

- more sidequests -> like: turn on a HDTV an some will not talk to you (or he/she do)

- more collectible things ! (we can find cool license plates but we can not collect them or getting an reward for this)
> same for other things, please more things to explore and maybe the possibility to see if I/we found all stuff (and got the reward)

- rewards (in game, maybe a secret video on a TV, a newspaper, special song for the guitar .. something like that)
- i want sugar from the vending mashine ^^ (or a soda)
- using the handy and call a person for a smalltalk !!!! (max never called a person with her cellphone!! unbelievable)

- option to see FF: TSW in HD (reward?!)

- Max can interact with more things (like the vending mashine), buy a cupcake at the diner
-- interact more with the world around her (not all things must have consequences, thats only for the feeling, like the sitting on a Tree situation!! that was great)

- Option to take random pictures and save them (can be watched from main menu)

- no limitation for the playing Area (open world)

- other localisations of the game (especially german)

- a good plot for the not working clock in Room 102 ^^ (Episode 2)

- want to know the name of the invisible girl in the shower

last but not least, excuse my bad english (it's not my language)

ScottBlows
6th May 2015, 09:32
Thanks for all your suggestions, please do keep them coming.

Alvare
6th May 2015, 14:30
Haha cool! Alright. I know it's close to release date but I'll post them anyway.
Some of the next suggestions may however be quite difficult to implement into the game,
but if they did, it would make the characters and world more lively:

Dynamic animation additions. So characters can head-track the player (when close), and the other way around.
Don't let the characters scratch behind their neck when they say something they really mean. (It's body language for being dishonest.)
Unimportant characters will have a one-liner when using the interact key. Maybe Max will raise her hand to say a quick hi.
Also, one-liners, like in the previous episode may need some variation in voice-lines, or only be played once. (Like the door knocking Max does at the start of episode 2.)
Max's facial expression will reflect to how she currently feels. Like the funny zombie-face she has at morning. Her face can be separately animated from the voice-lines. You could combine this with the head-tracking. If Max sees something she doesn't like, immediate angry in-game face. xD (Whilst seeing Chloe, instantly smiling.)
Add another texture layer on a characters face, like the tears, but this time a blush. So exaggerated angriness or shyness can be well read off the face.
When Max play's the animation of correcting her hair, the hair strands don't move currently. It looks odd.
Could also make a animation of her correcting her schoolbag on her shoulder. (Don't know if it's rigged or not.)
There's a storm coming. What's going to happen to the weather in future episodes? (Want to see some aggressive weather to indicate the danger.)
Max will be able to aim around with a flashlight if obtained in episode 3.
Balance out Chloe's running speed with the players' speed if they'll be roaming around together.
Add a new animation for sprinting if things get really tense. I guess we need to be able to run faster in the end.
Who is going to take care of Kate's bunny when she's gone or in the hospital? xD
The plant will not go yellow even if you didn't water your plant in episode 2? (I watered it in episode 1) Thought I was going to drown the plant by doing that again after just one day.
The iris and pupil of a character is what needs to reflect like it is now. But, the sclera of the eye shouldn't. (Unless the eyes are teary, like Kate's) I've noticed these scenes where it looks out of place. When Max is sitting on the bus to the Two Wales Diner for example.
Last one, I forgot a very important one. The options in dialogue, they're always the same input button. The developers should randomize them on each play. The parking ticket for example is always the square button on my ps4. (10:34) It's more interesting to mix the right answers up.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll edit this post if I have more possible improvements.

PHub07
13th May 2015, 05:26
A suggestion for this forum. I don't go to Square Enix site often. But have often looked on the twitter for Life is Strange. You should link the forum directly on the twitter like you do the site. This place is kind of easy to miss if you aren't aware it exists. If you do go to the site...and then click Community. Its really easy to think its just twitter updates etc....very easy to miss this forum.

xXLife-Starts-NowXx
17th May 2015, 08:20
I'm not sure if this is the right place to say this (correct me if I'm wrong),
But Am I the only one hoping for a disc release?! Because my internet sucks hard and I seriously wanna play this game so damn much! :(
So my suggestion: Disc Release! :P

EternalAmbiguity
19th May 2015, 04:11
Well, it happens again >.>

So here goes, my first impressions.

SPOILERS AHOY

First off, that plant! Was NOT expecting that consequence. Very clever, Dontnod.

Hayden! Hope we get another convo with him. Have I mentioned how much I love that conversation?

Wow. I wasn't expecting scary...

Hmm, not super scary at all. But this is feeling very ominous. I think something's going to go down when we meet Chloe...

WOW. Was not expecting that. Jefferson wins massive points in my book, and Victoria is just, wow. That was just blatant.

Lol. Max and her hipster boys...

Hmm, juliet, looks like you were right about Samuel (I think that was you).

...WOW. I thought this was hard, I was really thinking this puzzle was too hard, and I solved it by accident. Very, VERY clever, Dontnod. Nice.

Whisky bottle! Busted, you sot!

No, Chloe, you cannot steal money. Bad Chloe.

I really would not be surprised if we solve "the mystery of the missing cat pics" by the time we're done, but it's probably just one of the running gags.

Gee, seems very odd to see Chloe in anything but her punk outfit. Just OOC.

I respect their efforts to make a character swim, and not just something where a character is swimming somewhere, but just floating around. You don't see that in games often.

Urg, I knew that was gonna happen. Gotta love sightlines though, just walk around the lockers and Madsen never sees us.

have to say, it seems a liiiiittle unnatural for everybody to wear Max-style shorts and t-shirt to bed.

Have to say, I appreciate their commitment to little moments of "reverie," where Max will just sit or lay there and music will play.

Max wearing Rachel's clothes? Yeah, they're definitely the same somehow. Too obvious.

Well that was...weird and out of nowhere. Chloe was obvious I suppose, but Max has never shown any such inclination, so I feel that's out of character for her. i suppose some just got their wish, though.

Rather glad they're having Max in a different outfit now. That's something more games need to do, especially this type (adventure type over multiple days).

Ooh, I like "Noir Angel."

How can I side with David? How? I genuinely don't understand how I could do that. I just looked at his files where he dug up information on Max, Rachel, and Kate. I don't think he's a bad person necessarily, but siding with him is a whole nother story. nuh uh.

I like this xomaxo or maxoxo thing.

Something's up with these dead birds...not sure what.

The diner is HILARIOUS. All the rage in that place.

Well gosh. Gosh DARN.

Holy FLIP. HOLY FLIP William...

Wow. There are no words. I was waiting the entire episode for the payoff...wow. Just wow. I was thinking it was good up until that last part...expletive. Expletive.

I cannot stop exclaiming in my head at that last image. Oh my word. Expletive.

Holy. Flipping. Cow. Taking a step back from my utterly blown mind, this is pretty impressive in terms of the effort this will take the team to completely change the makeup of the characters, or at least it seems that way. Just wow. On the other hand, this seems like a handy way of erasing choices...but I don't think the team is doing that, judging by the choices given in this episode. Just wow.

Bullet100
19th May 2015, 13:54
Let me just start off saying that I really love this game. The episodic feature really makes the game much more interesting and extends the life of the game itself. Also gives us the ability to playthrough each episode multiple times while we wait for the next!

One thing that I really enjoy in the game is the ability to sit down in certain parts of the environment, listen to what Max is thinking in that moment, and enjoy the scenery. I don't think there was that many in Episode 3 as there were in the first two, but I remember being able to sit down outside the dorm rooms at night and the swings outside Chloe's house. I sincerely hope that these will be included in Episode 4 and 5!

Another thing in Episode 3 was the lack of music scenes. The only one I remember was in Chloe's bedroom, but I do really enjoy sitting back enjoying the cinematic environment and listening to the great music. Hope to see more of these in the next episodes as well.

I also wanted to thank you for giving us the ability to kiss Chloe after having such a great night with her. A lot of players, myself included, have been begging for them to just make up already. Although it may have just been a dare at the time it was still a sign of affection between the two characters. These kind of decisions really makes the game more immersive.

Keep up the great work! Really excited to see what's going to happen in the next episode!

AbnaxusOfTheVenar
19th May 2015, 14:47
I'm playing the PS4 version, and it's frustrated me throughout the first three episodes that the (great!) ambient sounds stop when you open the journal.

Sometimes when you open the journal it's to read long-ish journal entries or detailed NPC bios and, for that, gradually bringing up the theme music in the background seems like a good choice.

When you're only taking a quick look at your SMS inbox or checking your photo album for a hint of your next target, however, the sudden cut-off of the ambient sounds is quite jarring.

Any game designers out there with a clever idea to get around it in a realistic way (even if it's a learning for future projects, rather than trying to change an established control system now that we're 60% of the way through)? Perhaps a quick-access menu for the mobile phone inbox that keeps the ambient sounds (because you whip out a phone and check it quickly) and a slower-paced menu for the journal with the soundtrack music (because you tend to take more time over writing in / reflecting over your journal)?

Riversky
20th May 2015, 16:51
Ok so I was expecting to have a great time but wow, this episode was even better than the first 2!

THANK YOU for the option to kiss Chloe. It feels SO good to be included. I really hope that it's not queerbaiting because it would not only be disappointing, but also siding with the passive aggressive or downright hateful people who either don't take the LGBT community seriously or hate on us. 99,99% of everything in this world is directed at straight people, but for some reason the remaining 0,01% is judged or even attacked.
Reading words such as "inclination" even on here is kind of disheartening to be honest. Yes, I'm talking about you, EternalAmbiguity. There's nothing "out of character" since there was nothing established to begin with and I sure do hope that a game based on choices being inclusive is not seen as some pandering or whatever you seem to be implying. Implying that some got their wish like it's a whim and that LGBT fans somehow coerced Dontnod into doing that is insulting to everyone. Replace possible gay plot with possibility of interracial plot and it's instantly unacceptable (and rightfully so!). Especially when you have the ability to avoid said possibility and play the way YOU want to. Nobody's taking anything away from your own playthrough... Anyway. Progress is always met with resistance, I guess. As long as DN keeps treating everyone equally everything's fine in my book :)

The night setting was truly great. Chloe made me laugh, but she also broke my heart on many occasions. Her face in the truck when driving Max back to Blackwell? I know what she's feeling in that moment. Close to home. Max is becoming way less quiet and I love that. Hellraiser (well, sort of) Max was fun! The pool was a great new scenery, and speaking about that the morning in Chloe's bedroom was great. The light, the music, the peaceful vibe, it was almost perfect. Chloe without her beanie !! Awesome haha, I was starting to believe she was hiding something underneath :P

I really liked to meet William. I loved to mess with Nathan and Frank. Geez, Nathan needs to be sedated. What a psycho (albeit a great one in the context of the game!). I love the comments Max makes (Chloe as well) but this ep was even better. Dorks ^^ I love the hate relationship between Max and Victoria, it's not hate-hate, it's (imo anyway) the kind of relationship where there is a lot of misunderstanding, distrust and prejudice but they actually would make great friends. Victoria reminds me of Selma Blair's character in Legally Blonde so I may be biased. But man, what I would give to witness the bickering between Victoria and Chloe haha... Insulting and snarky one-liners galore! The puzzles were nice, and minimum Warren was definitely a bonus. But... Lisa, though. You tricked me. WELL PLAYED. Still side-eying you a little bit though ¬_¬

And that ending, WHOA! Waiting for episode 4 is going to be even harder. OMG I'm so excited for it!

Nox_Dogma
20th May 2015, 17:27
ok Quote my on post is not cool, i know
but i do and edit it with the content of EP3

first of all -> thank you :-)

YES !!! THANKS

- Options for one of many possible relationships (max-cloe, max-warren, max-kate, warren-kate,.... )
we have it. go on Dontnod, we love the max-chloe relationship

- different guitarsongs -> option to play guitar solo for Cloe (warren, kate) with different effects
(rocking, smoothing, romantic, metal, ....) on Cloe (warren or kate, can be important for the relationship)
no guitarsong in EP3? did i missed something?

- more sidequests -> like: turn on a HDTV an some will not talk to you (or he/she do)
confirmed! we have something like that in EP3. thx :)

- more collectible things ! (we can find cool license plates but we can not collect them or getting an reward for this)
> same for other things, please more things to explore and maybe the possibility to see if I/we found all stuff (and got the reward)
i think the bomb-part did not count, so, nope, less then in EP1 and EP2 together

- rewards (in game, maybe a secret video on a TV, a newspaper, special song for the guitar .. something like that)
i didn't find anything like that

- i want sugar from the vending mashine ^^ (or a soda)
VERY SPECIAL THANKS, i got my SODA *cheers*

- using the handy and call a person for a smalltalk !!!! (max never called a person with her cellphone!! unbelievable)
not directly, but she used her phone. :)

I'm still waiting, or is it buged (blackbox TV in the dinner)?

- Max can interact with more things (like the vending mashine), buy a cupcake at the diner
Trashcan counts. :)

-- interact more with the world around her (not all things must have consequences, thats only for the feeling, like the sitting on a Tree situation!! that was great)
not enough to say "ok is more interactive"

i can wait, Dontnod can solve the actual problems with the crashes/freezes of the game befor implenting this content

not yet, maybe season 2? i hope

narf, we are waiting, go on pls ^^

that was only a bug, in EP3 all clocks are working fine (including the 2 at the swimmingpool..little buged, they start working if you're close to them)

atm, i'm still waiting for the name[/FONT][/SIZE]

not Bad :)
i hope we will have more "greens" as "reds" after EP4

and

THANK YOU!

TroublesomeBirdsong
21st May 2015, 16:04
I really don't know how to feel about David now. I was half-expecting him to take Max aside at some point during episode 3 and say something like this:

DAVID: After what happened with Kate, I figured I’d better come clean with you. I don’t know if you know this, but we’ve been having trouble keeping up with the bills. So a few weeks ago, I took on a second job as a private eye. The police had run out of leads, so Rachel Amber’s parents hired me to find out what happened to her.
MAX: Chloe said her parents were in denial about it.
DAVID: Yeah, well you can’t trust everything Chloe says. She has a skewed perspective on things. I know how much Rachel’s disappearance affected her and I thought maybe if I could find out what happened to her, Chloe would be happy again. Anyway, I looked into it and about six months ago Rachel went to one of these Vortex Club party. Now I don’t know what happened there, no one was talking, but obviously something upset her because she left early in a huff. Then later someone saw her get into an argument with Kate Marsh.
MAX: Kate? I didn’t even know she knew Rachel. What were they arguing about?
DAVID: I don’t know, but Kate was the last one to see Rachel before she disappeared. I tried to ask her about the argument, but she said she couldn’t remember back six months. Then last week, I heard about this viral video of Kate. I thought I could use it as leverage, maybe use Kate as way to get into the Vortex Club parties and see what I could find out.
MAX: But why were you following her and taking photos?
DAVID: To see who she met with, in case it led back to Rachel.
MAX: You think she knew where Rachel went?
DAVID: She knew something. Look, I know I was heavy-handed with her. I’d just run out of options.

But after what Max found on his laptop and the argument that followed, plus revelations about him being a lot more involved with Nathan than we assumed, I'm not sure about expecting redemption for him now.

TroublesomeBirdsong
21st May 2015, 16:54
I'm in two minds about the alternate universe. When you think about it, it's the obvious progression for the story and opens up a lot of great opportunities, but at the same time it basically retcons the story and instead of your choices mattering it's made all of your decisions blatantly pointless (at least until you get back to your universe).

The positives are:
potential for more Kate - assuming Max went to last week's Vortex Club party instead of Kate, meaning there's no viral video, so Kate didn't commit/attempt suicide and isn't in the hospital.

potential to meet Rachel Amber - assuming the reason she disappeared could have been retconned by not having the same relationship with Chloe. She may even be living in your dorm room. If you can talk to her, you can gather clues as to why she might have disappeared in your universe, then use that information when you go back.

Friendly Victoria means we can actually find out more about her motivations without running into a wall of snark. Same with David and possibly Nathan.

I wonder if Max can look at her journal and discover she's written a different series of events in there. That'd be a good way to catch up quickly on some of the changes.

I assume we'll eventually get to use our selfie collection and the butterfly photo to jump back to points in previous episodes, but it'd be cool if you could use the optional photos for that too.

Conversations I want to see in the next episode:

Max decides she needs to get her bearings and go somewhere familiar. She goes to her dorm room, walks in and finds Rachel Amber sitting on the bed.
MAX: Oh my god! Rachel? What are you… doing in my room?
RACHEL: Are you high, Max? This is my room. You room’s down the hall. Dana’s old room.
MAX: Dana?
RACHEL: Oh, wait, I suppose you don’t know Dana. She found out she was pregnant about a month ago and dropped out of Blackwell. Good thing she moved out of the dorms I guess, or you wouldn’t have had anywhere to stay when you got here.
(And then you talk about what happened 6 months ago to try to work out why she disappeared.)

MAX: Hey, Kate!
KATE: Uh, hi. What do you want?
MAX: I'm just glad to see you.
KATE: Look, if you want me to do your Literature homework like Victoria did. I can't. I'm too stressed out.
MAX: No, I... just wanted to hang out.
KATE: Why? You've barely said a word to me since you arrived.
MAX: Are you mad at me?
KATE: What do you think?! I was to go to the Vortex Club party that was on last week. It's not really my thing, but I thought maybe I'd have fun and make some new friends. Then Victoria said she was inviting you instead and that there was a limited guest list, so I couldn't come.
MAX: You wouldn't have wanted to be there anyway, Kate.
KATE: Oh, don't worry, I don't want to be part of your stupid club anyway!
MAX: Kate, I don't want to fight. I just want to be friends.
KATE: Yeah, right.
(Then you convince Kate to go to the Two Whales with you, to try and bond and find out more about how she's connected to Rachel Amber)

StrangerThanFiction
21st May 2015, 16:57
I really don't know how to feel about David now. I was half-expecting him to take Max aside at some point during episode 3 and say something like this:

DAVID: After what happened with Kate, I figured I’d better come clean with you. I don’t know if you know this, but we’ve been having trouble keeping up with the bills. So a few weeks ago, I took on a second job as a private eye. The police had run out of leads, so Rachel Amber’s parents hired me to find out what happened to her.
MAX: Chloe said her parents were in denial about it.
DAVID: Yeah, well you can’t trust everything Chloe says. She has a skewed perspective on things. I know how much Rachel’s disappearance affected her and I thought maybe if I could find out what happened to her, Chloe would be happy again. Anyway, I looked into it and about six months ago Rachel went to one of these Vortex Club party. Now I don’t know what happened there, no one was talking, but obviously something upset her because she left early in a huff. Then later someone saw her get into an argument with Kate Marsh.
MAX: Kate? I didn’t even know she knew Rachel. What were they arguing about?
DAVID: I don’t know, but Kate was the last one to see Rachel before she disappeared. I tried to ask her about the argument, but she said she couldn’t remember back six months. Then last week, I heard about this viral video of Kate. I thought I could use it as leverage, maybe use Kate as way to get into the Vortex Club parties and see what I could find out.
MAX: But why were you following her and taking photos?
DAVID: To see who she met with, in case it led back to Rachel.
MAX: You think she knew where Rachel went?
DAVID: She knew something. Look, I know I was heavy-handed with her. I’d just run out of options.

But after what Max found on his laptop and the argument that followed, plus revelations about him being a lot more involved with Nathan than we assumed, I'm not sure about expecting redemption for him now.

This would be great in Episode 4, if we happen to get back to the original timeline. Plus, I think there is still a way for David to redeem himself. I think it might go along like this: [Including what you have previously stated because I love it].

Max: Which is why you were trying to get on the Prescott's good side. We know about the email exchanges between you and Nathan.
David: That is personal business missy and things that you shouldn't be involving yourself into.
Max: I want to know, just as bad as you and everyone else does, what caused Kate to contemplate/commit suicide [depending on whether you saved Kate from jumping off the roof or not].
David: And that gives you an excuse to snoop around everywhere?
Max: Let me remind you that you were stalking Kate. That doesn't it make it any better.
David: Listen kid, there are strange things happening around Arcadia Bay; if you aren't already aware of it now. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the Prescott family. I thought that maybe if I got onto their good side, I might be able to gather some information on how they are involved in all of this.
Max: *Crosses arms.* You think that the Prescott's are somehow involved with all the strange things happening; like the snow and the eclipse?
David: And much more. *Sighs.* I know that you want to help Chloe. I want to too. But I do have a responsibility to keep all of Blackwell Students safe, including you. Now I kindly ask that you stop snooping around before you get yourself into more trouble. *Walks away.*
Max: Well it's too late for that.

Or something along the lines of that. I have a feeling that David will be one of the good guys in the end, we just have to wait and see.

frag971
23rd May 2015, 22:16
The biggest gripe i have with the game is the lip syncing, or lack thereof. there is tech to auto-sync voice with lips out there. Please do it because it's the biggest immersion killer for me :(

Wambo_is_Strange
23rd May 2015, 22:42
Would be pretty awesome to have better lip sync but to be honest, while playing I don't care at all about this fact.

mysterycycle
24th May 2015, 07:25
I was holding out some hope that David isn't just a power-tripping paranoid, but the last interactions with him in Episode 3 has mostly dashed those hopes. It may be that he's only a sad sack who can't get his civilian life together and doesn't respect women, but I've been suspecting that he might have known something that Max hasn't yet discovered that could explain his obsession with surveillance. Maybe getting undeniable proof of the Vortex Club and Nathan's involvement in Rachel's disappearance so he could bring legal reprisal, or even just getting dirt on Nathan that none of the police are willing to risk getting. And perhaps that's still the case - we haven't really heard David's side of things yet. But man, he sure doesn't inspire sympathy...

Alvare
24th May 2015, 08:03
New suggestions for Episode 3 [Ps4]:

There's a lack of sound effects at the ending sequence when Max is in the alternate reality and knocks on Williams door.
And also when William opens the door. Don't know if it's a bug or hasn't been added yet.
The sugar bag on Michelle Grant's desk is difficult to interact with sometimes.
Next time you render out the .bik ending cutscenes, try to get rid of the brightening line/bar at the bottom.
Now I think of it, it's kind of weird David went downstairs with his duty clothes on. I expected his other model with normal clothes. Heck why not make him march downstairs with his army suit and ak47?

I was holding out some hope that David isn't just a power-tripping paranoid, but the last interactions with him in Episode 3 has mostly dashed those hopes. It may be that he's only a sad sack who can't get his civilian life together and doesn't respect women, but I've been suspecting that he might have known something that Max hasn't yet discovered that could explain his obsession with surveillance. Maybe getting undeniable proof of the Vortex Club and Nathan's involvement in Rachel's disappearance so he could bring legal reprisal, or even just getting dirt on Nathan that none of the police are willing to risk getting. And perhaps that's still the case - we haven't really heard David's side of things yet. But man, he sure doesn't inspire sympathy...
We all hoped that as soon as he went downstairs, that it would be a peaceful breakfast for once.
I have sympathy for him but he needs to seriously calm down. Guess he looked at peace in his other lifetime.

Suggestions for last two episodes:

Previous choices still matter. New time line might not have that capability.
I'd like to lose on something for once. And when you lose, you might need to replay in order to fix it instead of rewinding.
Don't alter/change Max's personality. We all like her the way she is. Also, her sense of humor is good. We need her to stay bright and optimistic.
There has to be a lead suspect by now. We need to have a finger pointed at someone.
Where did the nose bleeding and headache thing go? She traveled more in ep3 than ep2. Guess she got experience to do it without hurting herself?
All achievements/optional photo's you got, are handed in near the ending for an alternate outcome. Also, Max is scared that she gets rejected when turning in that one picture, she can still rewind time to see which one Jefferson likes the most. xD
I bet it's either the butterfly photo Chloe has taken from Max, or the photo Max torn into pieces.

Beramaor
25th May 2015, 10:45
Developing alternative sequences
If too many choices and different endings isn’t feasible, another nice way of adding depth:

Expanding how choices cause different routes to reaching the same/similar results.

A possibly coming example would be different ways to enter the dark room through the Vortex club… But not just some variation in dialogue, rather entirely different settings and locations…
Not on the party list? Find a backdoor with Chloe, perhaps encountering Nathan along the way.
On the list? Pass some ordeal with Vic’s posse on the dance floor.

While these are alternatives forced by previous decisions, there could also be:

Flexibility in siding with different characters and visiting different areas.

In future scenarios, there would be options of how to investigate a mystery or even stop a disaster. E.g. you’d be able to find evidence or alter events through 3 different locations (photos/rewinds), but only 2 are enough.

NB I honestly don’t think this is at the heart of the game, since major choices and rewinds should have disparate consequences. But in their absence, and on a "side-quest" choice level, it would be a rewarding substitute.

I believe many would love to develop relationships with characters of their own preference. Not sure I wish to see such things this season already, but the future might give us alternatives:
Tired of moody Chloe? Have Alyssa, Warren or Kate back you up at some event instead. (Available only if you saved them and have a certain degree of relation with them..)

maddoggnick96
25th May 2015, 16:12
I'm loving the game a lot. I'm up through episode 3 and can't wait for the next two episodes. I think the time between the release of episodes is great. I gush over an episode for a week or so, then my interest wanes for a bit. Then a new episode comes out right when I start hankering for the next one. The wait doesn't feel too long, nor do I feel I have content shoved down my throat.

At the moment, I don't want it to end. Depending on the ending, I'd like to see a season 2. I have my own theories of how this season might end, but I don't want to spoil anything if I'm right. Although, if my hunch is correct, I think I have a good idea of a potential DLC episode. All this said though, I'd love a disc version with all the episodes on it. I know that may not be on the table at the moment, but if it does I cast my vote for "yes".

As for actual things to fix for the game, it's mostly solid IMO. I hear people say the dialogue is the worst part, and it may benefit from better writing, but I kinda like some of the cheesy dialogue. That may just be me though. I think general bug fixes and making the game run buttery smooth is an obvious suggestion. The lip-syncing could be better too, but maybe consider that going into season 2 wink.

One other quick suggestion I'd like to make: please release the OST? I'm talking about the music composed for the game. There are some days I have the game on the main menu in the background while I do other work. It's just so relaxing. If you could get the licensed music in there too, that would be awesome.

Baeraad
26th May 2015, 07:20
I love the game, I think it's fantastic is just about every way. I just have one small problem, which is that I think that the post-rewind dialog bits often comes across as forced and unnatural. I get that the idea is that Max knows exactly the right thing to say because she's already had the conversation once, but a lot of the time it just doesn't feel to me like the character she's talking to would react positively to her mentioning some piece of information that they thought she didn't know about. And conversely, it's not always clear to me why a character clams up on a subject after mentioning it, but is then willing to talk about it when Max brings it up first.

It's not a big deal, but it's what strikes me as something that could be better if some more focus was put on making it feel natural.

There's a lack of sound effects at the ending sequence when Max is in the alternate reality and knocks on Williams door.

I thought that was meant to indicate that Max is feeling numb inside?

I was holding out some hope that David isn't just a power-tripping paranoid, but the last interactions with him in Episode 3 has mostly dashed those hopes.

I think he's very much a power-tripping paranoid. But he's not exactly wrong, is he? There really is something fishy with the Vortex Club, and drugs do seem to be involved. I think he's got good intentions and the right general idea, it's just that he's painfully unimaginative, more than a bit emotionally messed up from his time as a soldier, and with all the diplomacy skills of a gorilla with a tooth-ache.

Alvare
26th May 2015, 13:54
I just have one small problem, which is that I think that the post-rewind dialog bits often comes across as forced and unnatural. I get that the idea is that Max knows exactly the right thing to say because she's already had the conversation once, but a lot of the time it just doesn't feel to me like the character she's talking to would react positively to her mentioning some piece of information that they thought she didn't know about. And conversely, it's not always clear to me why a character clams up on a subject after mentioning it, but is then willing to talk about it when Max brings it up first.

It's not a big deal, but it's what strikes me as something that could be better if some more focus was put on making it feel natural.
True I agree. I think this is something very difficult for the voice/script writers.

I thought that was meant to indicate that Max is feeling numb inside?
She can hear William's voice perfectly well yet can't hear a door knocking or door opening?
It's kind of weird looking for me, if you ask me.

maddoggnick96
26th May 2015, 17:40
True I agree. I think this is something very difficult for the voice/script writers.

She can hear William's voice perfectly well yet can't hear a door knocking or door opening?
It's kind of weird looking for me, if you ask me.

I kind of figured the silent knock was part of the build-up of the suspense and drama. That scene was only meant to be music and the build-up is broken by Williams voice. That's how I took it anyways. I never thought of it as a problem the first time I played it.

frag971
26th May 2015, 17:45
I love the game, I think it's fantastic is just about every way. I just have one small problem, which is that I think that the post-rewind dialog bits often comes across as forced and unnatural. I get that the idea is that Max knows exactly the right thing to say because she's already had the conversation once, but a lot of the time it just doesn't feel to me like the character she's talking to would react positively to her mentioning some piece of information that they thought she didn't know about. And conversely, it's not always clear to me why a character clams up on a subject after mentioning it, but is then willing to talk about it when Max brings it up first.

It's not a big deal, but it's what strikes me as something that could be better if some more focus was put on making it feel natural.But it does happen, talk to Nathan about the blood bond and he'll react exactly as you would expect.

KiraS94
31st May 2015, 21:54
Just got the game and played Ep 1-3. Feedback so far:

I Like:
- Atmosphere. Really makes me feel I'm back on campus. I had much less bullying though (lucky I guess). Also, the exceptional events (visions of the storm; signs; disappeared student) are tastefully done; they lend a sense of urgency to Max's actions, but don't dominate the gameplay.
- Characters. They are really thought-through, as the story unfolds you learn more about them and you realize there's actually more to them than the initial one-sided impressions.
- Choices. What I find wonderful is when I can pick the option I feel is right, and then the game reacts to it. (I've seen some previous comments pondering Max's sexual orientation... For example I would love if this was something I could choose, to make the game feel right *for me*.)

I not-so-much like:
- Some choices felt a bit artificial. One example is in EP2, when you have the option to take the call in the diner... It would have felt natural to me to just go out and take the call while doing so. I felt that the drama (the alternative of missing a potentially important call, or the fight ensuing if you do take it) was forced to make the choice seem ambiguous.
- Some choices aren't really choices... You may just overlook something. For example on first playthru I didn't even notice the RV in the campus parking lot early in EP1, nor did I interact with it; and then it recorded this as a "choice" (and by the way, still narrated "there's that RV again" when I saw it next, despite me not having any clue where I should've seen it before :) ).
- Linearity. I played around with some choices, and my impression is that they seem to impact parts of scenes/dialogues, but the main scenes (and objectives) are set, and what you can actually alter in the flow of the story seems limited. Maybe some of the consequences will only be felt in the last Episodes...

I do worry a bit though, that especially as we get closer to the end, how will the game be able to properly do justice to the many different permutations our choices/actions could represent? I would probably not feel happy if the ending would be a single possible outcome (which could still make a lot of sense as a story, as many great stories are about inevitability of certain events or unalterability of the past; but as a player I would probably feel a bit short-changed, since the choice-consequence causality is one of the game's main selling points). I feel that the thin ice here is that beyond making sense as a story, LIS also needs to fulfill the player expectations in making sure that their choices will actually matter (I could note some examples of games screwing this up a bit by distilling down several dozen hours of gameplay choices into 2-3 endings, making 90% of previous choices irrelevant.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next episode, and hope that the previous episodes will make even more sense in light of the later revelations, and we'll get the option to meaningfully alter the story's second half and ending (and yes, I'm also hoping for a genuine happily-ever-after with the character I feel Max would fall in love with, as well as ways to screw things up, in various intentional and inadvertent ways, of course... :D ).

KiraS94
1st Jun 2015, 06:20
Come to think of it, LiS (based on EP1-3) does kind of remind me of the movie Donnie Darko. Also there you have the ominous signs and the impending doom; the dirty little secrets of the people in the small town; but what made DD great and really re-watchable is the human element, i.e. Donnie's bonding with Gretchen - as a kind of cathalist to his powers - that then enable him to carry out his duty to save the world. So far I see some (intended or coincidental) parallels between these stories (and Donnie Darko also had an awesome mood, it was one of those movies that have you thinking about it even afterwards). Though DD did go down the inevitability route, which kind of feels risky for LiS, at least as a single finale...

EDIT: Oh, and another thing... bonus points for depicting how Max struggles with her passion for art. For example her hesitation to hand in the photo. I can totally relate to that, as I'm writing a lot of stories for my own (and my friends') amusement, but I don't know if I'd ever muster up the courage to hand in something to a publisher. The thought of being judged is just too scary, and I'm sure Max would feel the same way about her photos, putting a piece of herself into each, fearing personal rejection if a photo is judged too harshly.

It's also a relief to see how Max and Chloe are not condemned for getting so close to each-other despite both being girls (IRL I don't think people are so open-minded... but it's good that the game is not about this... ;) ).

Natalie1229
2nd Jun 2015, 19:39
The main thing that I want is to see the kiss get some follow ups...there's been concerns about queer-baiting and I definitely reserve judgement and think it's too early to say that. However, I think it'll be important to go through with expanding on it. I'm so glad that we have the option to make Max bisexual, and romance and friendship are not mutually exclusive things as proven thus far. I think the kiss was adorable and in character with Max and Chloe's way of playing off of each other, but I really hope it's followed upon as it did leave some room for doubt for many because of the way it was written and built up.

I've gone through a lot in this final year of high school, and Life Is Strange has helped me get through the tough and stressful moments as a senior who is going through a lot of changes. This game has ultimately helped me to not only de-stress and find a new, unique, and valuable experience, but also find myself and my identity. I'm still at the beginning of the process, but as a result of some recent events as well as ones in the past, I've come to the conclusion that I'm bisexual and it just feels so right - and this game has somehow really helped in feeling like it's okay and normal and pretty damn awesome to further figure myself out. So Chloe and Max definitely mean a lot to me - as does LiS overall. It's practically at the very top with Mass Effect for my favorite game ever and it's not even done yet!

That's pretty much all I have for now. I am total pricefield trash. I trust that everything else will go wonderfully, as it has up until now. I actually have no doubt that it will come up later on as it was a major choice, but I just wanted to express my love and appreciation and strong hopes for that.

I don't want that to fizzle out as nothing but a tease, left ambiguous to not alienate the people who aren't even forced to make the decisions for a romantic relationship with Chloe. Some of them will complain regardless, while this kind of thing means a lot to many out there and it should be followed through honestly and earnestly!

P.S "Release the kra-can!" killed me. Keep those awesome and cheesy puns coming.

KiraS94
2nd Jun 2015, 21:08
I'm still at the beginning of the process, but as a result of some recent events as well as ones in the past, I've come to the conclusion that I'm bisexual and it just feels so right - and this game has somehow really helped in feeling like it's okay and normal and pretty damn awesome to further figure myself out.
You should not need any game to tell you that it is all right to feel good about being yourself. That said, it can be hard to go against the "norm" at times, and whatever helps you realize that you being YOU is the best possible thing ever is welcome! :)

I can only say: it really is pretty damn awesome to figure yourself out, no matter where that may lead you! :)

Natalie1229
2nd Jun 2015, 23:21
You should not need any game to tell you that it is all right to feel good about being yourself. That said, it can be hard to go against the "norm" at times, and whatever helps you realize that you being YOU is the best possible thing ever is welcome! :)

I can only say: it really is pretty damn awesome to figure yourself out, no matter where that may lead you! :)
Yeah, you're definitely right. It didn't "tell" me to feel good about being myself, but it has honestly really helped the process, especially because I have the choice to explore that in what has always been my outlet to de-stress and forget about my anxieties. It makes it feel a bit more real to me as someone who has always strongly and passionately identified as a gamer. Representation really matters. I'm really thankful for this game in so many ways, and it surely is hella awesome. Thank you very much, you're so sweet!! :)

LifeWizard
6th Jun 2015, 21:55
with all the diplomacy skills of a gorilla with a tooth-ache.

You got that right :thumb: :lol:

Stellazira
15th Jun 2015, 15:45
After finishing Episode 3 I was expecting more in the teaser for the next episode, or at least the same amount that was shown after the previous episodes. There was a lot of "that's it?" after the one scene. This felt especially weird after the entire timeline was changed and we're basically in a new setting now.

meimeiriver
17th Jun 2015, 08:10
I only have 2 suggestions:

1) Add a clear indicator when a the 'restore points' is being made. Apparently, not everytime the game is saving there is a restore point. I had to redo some gameplay because of it (the game is well worth replaying, but you know what I mean). Or add a thumbnail screenshot to the last restore point, so you know when it's taken.

2) Add more of that gorgeous Max Caulfield, please. :P

meimeiriver
18th Jun 2015, 10:22
Oh, and add an option to disable the subtitles, please. Don't need em. :)

meimeiriver
18th Jun 2015, 10:49
The main thing that I want is to see the kiss get some follow ups...there's been concerns about queer-baiting and I definitely reserve judgement and think it's too early to say that. However, I think it'll be important to go through with expanding on it. I'm so glad that we have the option to make Max bisexual, and romance and friendship are not mutually exclusive things as proven thus far. I think the kiss was adorable and in character with Max and Chloe's way of playing off of each other, but I really hope it's followed upon as it did leave some room for doubt for many because of the way it was written and built up.

I've gone through a lot in this final year of high school, and Life Is Strange has helped me get through the tough and stressful moments as a senior who is going through a lot of changes. This game has ultimately helped me to not only de-stress and find a new, unique, and valuable experience, but also find myself and my identity. I'm still at the beginning of the process, but as a result of some recent events as well as ones in the past, I've come to the conclusion that I'm bisexual and it just feels so right - and this game has somehow really helped in feeling like it's okay and normal and pretty damn awesome to further figure myself out. So Chloe and Max definitely mean a lot to me - as does LiS overall. It's practically at the very top with Mass Effect for my favorite game ever and it's not even done yet!

That's pretty much all I have for now. I am total pricefield trash. I trust that everything else will go wonderfully, as it has up until now. I actually have no doubt that it will come up later on as it was a major choice, but I just wanted to express my love and appreciation and strong hopes for that.

I don't want that to fizzle out as nothing but a tease, left ambiguous to not alienate the people who aren't even forced to make the decisions for a romantic relationship with Chloe. Some of them will complain regardless, while this kind of thing means a lot to many out there and it should be followed through honestly and earnestly!

Well said, Natalie!

I remember quite similar discussions, back in the day, on the old board, about Lara and Sam. :) LOL, it's like I never left! And I'm all for that! Seriously, I hope they don't back out of a possible shipping between Max and Chloe, just because some uptight advertisers can't deal with it. "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations," and all that. Don't force Max to hook up with Warren or something, or I'll go ape-***** (pun intended). :P What better way to celebrate true choice in this game than to offer Max, you know, an actual choice in the matter!?

#TeamChloe

Alvare
3rd Jul 2015, 19:32
We're almost there. The end is nigh for Life Is Strange.
I thought it'd be dumb to make suggestions just before you've started to polish and work on ep5.. even though that moment is already nearly there. xD
So, here's my last and final list of suggestions I'd make for your project Dontnod:

Sometimes silence or pause in dialogue is powerful.... like sighing or not being able to know how to respond. :P

I'd really like to see Max and Chloe being at peace, like at some of the first moments in ep3. Max possibly cheering up Chloe or perhaps holding her to stop her from crying. I just think she really needs that after that conversation in the car. Or if, we're stuck in the alt time line.

Ultimately, I want the best for all characters. Max, doesn't have to be a hero, if you ask me. I don't want her to meet a terrible fate. Same for every other character I like in the favorite character topic.. but the end is nigh. And my gut tells me it's going to be tough on us. Though, I think it's best for the drama of the story, so feel free to mess things up good. > : D

Kate Marsh, please make a small scene in which she's recovered and happy. (Maybe she's doing well in the alternate time line.)

Try gathering as many optional choices to have effect on the dialogue as you guys can.

Something unpredictable happening and something intense. Even more than the previous episodes.
And then we break from it. And get a moment that makes us think about everything what happened before.
It'll make the game much more powerful. And then, we're on our way to the final cliffhanger before ep5.

maddoggnick96
4th Jul 2015, 19:41
I'd like to refer to another message board. The thread asks for avatars for PSN of the LiS characters. I'd say this is probably suggested for XBL as well.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/827469-life-is-strange/72072010

not_a_warren
7th Jul 2015, 17:22
hello. i'm a fan of Life is Strange. great work. i have but a few minor points to mention:

1: i would like to be able to replay any chapter of the episodes in "it won't chance consequences"-mode even if i have all the photos in this chapter collected.
2: it would be interessting to see N in the choices screen. the percentage is cool but i have no clue how many made these choices in total.

cheers. keep up the good work. :)

PHub07
22nd Jul 2015, 21:55
I know this game was likely designed to be one season. But I really hate to say goodbye to these characters so soon with just the 5 eps. Chloe and Max together on screen is just too good....Love this game.

TroublesomeBirdsong
28th Jul 2015, 15:44
I would have liked a lot more time in the alternate universe. If you think about it, what did going there actually add to the story arc? It was good for character development and I really liked it, but it didn't actually move the story forward at all. You could've skipped from Chloe and Max leaving Frank's RV in episode 3 to them sleuthing in Chloe's room in episode 4 and that omission wouldn't change anything about the narrative. It was just there to make us 'feel the feels' about Chloe. Now if, as well as bonding with Chloe, Max had gone looking for Kate or Rachel, who may not have been dead in the alternate universe, that would have been good. Or if she used the opportunity as Victoria and Nathan's 'friend' to find out more about them for future reference, before jumping back, that would have been effective, but as it was, the alternate universe felt like it was really just there to service the emotional, issues-based portion of the game as a sort of 'brief, living hypothetical', rather than as useful opportunity to find out otherwise inaccessible information.

Wambo_is_Strange
28th Jul 2015, 16:56
Spoilers ahead

I totally see your point, Max could have done a lot of research there, she even texted Nathan about her being in the dark room but I'm not sure if it really was the dark room in the bunker she was referring to or just a usual photo dark room.
Rachel is definitely dead in the alternate reality because she still was missing and we found out what that means.

I think there is one major point that absolutely justifies her going back when she did.
That moment when Chloe asked her for this favor was way to intense for Max.
She knows Chloe as a sad and angry person, but not as someone who just stops fighting.
In my opinion this totally devastated her in some way, making her want to just go back asap.

Especially if you decide to kill her, how would Max be in the mental condition to just go on and do some actual work there?
Also we don't know completely how the photo traveling works.
It seems that Max has to be in an emotional situation to be able do this, so maybe she just needed to take advantage of this.
I just want to say it is completely resonable and authentic to do what Max decided to do and not just a gameplay decision by the developers.

Nox_Dogma
28th Jul 2015, 17:21
feedback EP4 :)

good in EP3 ... missing in EP4 :( , we still can't change Max Outfit

great in EP4 :)

still no guitarsongs ...

yeah ^^ i found all 3 codes (lock, handy, door), the handycode was hard to find .. ok the door is not a sidequest

great again, Mr. Holmes :), thank you (but no rewards, maybe in another EP/Season?)

i didn't find anything like that, the poetry (party scene) did not count.

not directly, but she used her phone. -- in EP4 she not reply to sms/chat "intime"? why? give us the opportunity to answer, pls

I'm still waiting!

in EP4, there are lots of food and drinks .. but we can't take them! not cool. (order a cola, drink it)

Thanks! nice party.

i can wait, Dontnod can solve the actual problems with the crashes/freezes of the game befor implenting this content

not yet, maybe season 2? i hope

narf, we are waiting, go on pls ^^

wow, now we have a good answer for the Clock in Room 102 ... a ladybuck, nice ^^ thank you!

atm, i'm still waiting for the name

--------------------
new to EP4

- multiple Episode-endings.
i hate the EP4 ending and i can't change the end! (same in EP3), all actions have consequences ... but what we want to chance is not possible... give us 2 ways for a "cliffhanger"

- in EP3 we can swin in the pool. why not in EP4? Nathan can be in the pool, we can't check this. (combine this with different outfits)

- great party !! go on DJ Doom :-)

- i like the characterprogress and the the great plot.

- thx for the nudeart :) i hope no one will ever ask for it (but you can still show us some good nude-art-work in game)

- the "client-list" ! inspired by JulietxJules ?? ;) (and may other things like the licence plates)

Thank you for EP4 ^^

Wambo_is_Strange
28th Jul 2015, 17:36
- why Max destroyed Nathan's door (dormitries)? no option for a better solution of a locked door?

Actually, you can break the door and then rewind once you are inside, just like in episode 3.
I did this but it doesn't seem to matter if you fix the door or not :)

LordBattleBeard
30th Jul 2015, 07:54
Whoops, never mind. Decided to create an individual thread instead.

Alvare
30th Jul 2015, 13:48
I lolled when I read back my last suggestions. I sure got what I asked for.
Anyway, I do hope Max doesn't die in at least one ending.. :'|

BinnieBob
31st Jul 2015, 15:47

I personally hope they stay away from it, with both Chloe AND Warren. This story is about friendship, not about romance. SE's done a good job of that lately (Final Fantasy XIII series, XV) and I hope it continues.

Sexuality isn't binary.

Alvare
1st Aug 2015, 12:02
Did anyone else noticed that Chloe got the hots for Jefferson right before they went into the boy dorms. 0__o

LordBattleBeard
1st Aug 2015, 12:19
Did anyone else noticed that Chloe got the hots for Jefferson right before they went into the boy dorms. 0__oYup. Chloe is perceptive as ever ;)

Alvare
1st Aug 2015, 14:45
Yup. Chloe is perceptive as ever ;)
I really like Chloe in the end though.. We all know she wasn't perfect, but we could tell she was definitely aware of that.
As for improvement suggestions and remarks. I still have a few left:

-The round menu buttons that say: "Play". I really disliked them from the start. They look awful in the main menu's design to me. I think the buttons that say purchase look better.. or it would be even better if there were no buttons, only text with the episode's titles.
Here's an example of how it looks originally:
http://www.nat-games.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/life-is-strange-episode-2-leak-nat-games-gameplay-ingame-2.png
Anyone agree with me on the menu design?

-A mode that play's all episodes through. No longer are there, "previously on" cutscenes, and the episodes blend seamlessly into each other. After all, you won't see your choices in the previously on anyway. unlike in Telltale's dynamic intro. It's static.

-Possible ending that doesn't have Max dying. I like to be on the edge of my seat for the last episode. Even more than ep4 but I don't want you guys to tip me over to fall. Plus, I think I'm not ready to see Max die.

-Dontnod did a incredibly good job on the ambient and music this episode. The beginning was beautifully build up. It was spooky sounding in the darkroom. With that quiet but unnerving music score playing in the background. Also when Max re-entered the normal timeline, you saw the photographs again. And an new one suddenly popped up, with a weird waving sound:

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/4bf7/pu85vxerhymsj6czg.jpg

It was pretty cool to know that Max and Chloe's friendship got even stronger and in this picture they carry the pinboard to Chloe's room to gather the evidence.

-A moment of peace in the episode. If it's possible.

-Most importantly, I know this episode is going to be the biggest, I want Dontnod to take their time.
Don't rush it. If it's not finished. Push the deadline away far enough. I really suggest that.

not_a_warren_2
20th Oct 2015, 18:11
bravo.

Alvare
22nd Oct 2015, 10:34
Yup. Episode 5 was beyond great. Voice acting, music and story wise.
Do have some remarks, feedback and some suggestions left:

Did have one little bug where I had to restart the scene. I managed somehow, to get stuck in the David vs Mark fight. Dunno if anyone else could replicate that bug. Also purposely tried to get stuck by using up my rewind in the nightmare just when someone spots you, it causes Max to be re-spawned. So good job on that. xD

The new teary eyes effect was really good. Looked even more believable than the previous episodes with these effects combined.

When Max is back in the numbered Two Whales Dinner, there's almost no ambient sound or music. Somehow, I feel it should have some sort of eerie sounding song in the background. It really lacks there.

The explosion in the Two Whales Dinner, after the car drive, doesn't cause Max to react in animation, even when standing close. She would be pushed back to the ground with that force.

New lip sync is absolutely perfect. Did see it was still out of sync in the swimming scene of ep3.
Also noticed the smiles of characters are more believable than before.

The ending in which you sacrifice Arcadia Bay for Chloe lacks depth. Didn't choose that one anyway.. but everyone death? That's cruel. Want to hear more story on that. :P

Ross42899
22nd Oct 2015, 14:17
The ending in which you sacrifice Arcadia Bay for Chloe lacks depth. Didn't choose that one anyway.. but everyone death? That's cruel. Want to hear more story on that. :P

In my first playthrough I sacrificed Acradia Bay and saved Chloe (It was a hard choice. I didn't want the town to be destroyed. But I didn't want to see Chloe dying again either). But after watching the final scene, I must confess I'm a bit confused. Is everyone in Aracdia Bay actually dead? Or did some people survive? Seeing the whole town being wiped out, it felt like everyone died. But on the other hand, it seemed it took sometime for the storm to reach town (at least it didn't appear out of nowhere in the town center within a second or so). So, personally I think at least a few people must have been able to escape in time. I didn't expect a "happy ending", where everyone is living happily ever after. And I did expect that you had to sacrifice someone or the town. But I also expected to see at least some survivors if yo choose the "Bad ending".

Happy172
22nd Oct 2015, 15:12
Love the game.i know this is not a Disney game, but i really really want a happy ending for Max & Chloe (please add Ending #3 ) !!!!!!!!!!!

Aefion
24th Oct 2015, 03:16
In my first playthrough I sacrificed Acradia Bay and saved Chloe (It was a hard choice. I didn't want the town to be destroyed. But I didn't want to see Chloe dying again either). But after watching the final scene, I must confess I'm a bit confused. Is everyone in Aracdia Bay actually dead? Or did some people survive? Seeing the whole town being wiped out, it felt like everyone died. But on the other hand, it seemed it took sometime for the storm to reach town (at least it didn't appear out of nowhere in the town center within a second or so). So, personally I think at least a few people must have been able to escape in time. I didn't expect a "happy ending", where everyone is living happily ever after. And I did expect that you had to sacrifice someone or the town. But I also expected to see at least some survivors if yo choose the "Bad ending".

Yeah I agree with this, it wasn't a great ending, I was hoping if you sacrificed Arcadia Bay you'd at least get to see the main characters evacuating or something. But nothing, so that was disappointing. And after all that time trying to save Chloe, I wasn't about to sacrifice her. So feedback wise I think Dontnod needed to improve the endings. Otherwise it was an incredible game and a massively enjoyable experience.

Jack_Forest
24th Oct 2015, 03:55
There is a petition now, asking for an improved ending:
https://www.change.org/p/dontnod-enterntainment-square-enix-extended-ending-additional-content-for-life-is-strange?source_location=petitions_share_skip
It's gaining signatures pretty fast for something like this. The game has lots of loyal fans, so why not work together to make it better?

Edit: Just reached 1000 votes. That's telling something.

Jack_Forest
24th Oct 2015, 04:50
Ending aside, I would also like to suggest cutting the Nightmare into sections for the Collectibles mode. The maze is pretty long and can be annoying if you have to replay it just to revisit the final talk and the diner.

Werd95
24th Oct 2015, 10:34
I would just like to say that this has been the greatest game i have ever played. This is for many reasons;

Memorable characters
Choices you have to make
Great story
Fantastic soundtrack
How different this game is to other games
How everyone's experience of the game is different (generates discussion)
Well thought out symbolism etc.
Room for interpretation (e.g. Max and Chloe's relationship)
Plot twists
The setting

And I have to say that the "Episode" structure was a great move by whoever decided to release it like that. It really prolonged the experience. It meant the fans could speculate what was going to happen in the next episode and stuff.

Hats off to anyone involved with making/marketing/funding the game. I know this is how a lot of people feel. THANK YOU! :)

Tataboj
27th Oct 2015, 20:31
Hi, if you would make a collector's edition including Max's journal, everybody in this forum would buy it.

KristaD
27th Oct 2015, 20:35
I would like something like :)

Arcadiagamer
27th Oct 2015, 21:07
To me, the problems of the game are basically two:

- Lack of more endings, especially one with Max sacrificing herself.
- Rachel Amber. You can't give so many cluess in the game on that something specially happen with her and pointing to that she is Max from the future/past, and in the end, nothing. If the first intention was that Rachel was not Max, i think that was better not to did than similar to her in all aspects.

Tataboj
27th Oct 2015, 21:27

- Rachel Amber. You can't give so many cluess in the game on that something specially happen with her and pointing to that she is Max from the future/past, and in the end, nothing. If the first intention was that Rachel was not Max, i think that was better not to did than similar to her in all aspects.

Wait. The clues about their similarities are really general, you can't think about it as foreshadowing, the clues were basically "they both were friends with Chloe" or "Nathan thinks about Max in Rachel's clothes that she is Rachel". From what I see, you thought about this theory as real, so it didn't hit your expectations when this theory didn't happen.

Dire87
27th Oct 2015, 22:10

Agreed with number 1, but either they didn't want to do that or ran out of time/money. Who knows.
On Rachel Amber, I never viewed her as more than a means to an end. It was pretty clear that she was either dead or held hostage somewhere, but there wasn't a lot to assume the latter. I expected her to be dead. There really aren't any similarities between her and Max, they are completely different types of people, like Max and now-Chloe (as opposed to past-Chloe)...I would have actually been pretty pissed off if she were Max from the past/future...why would she be? Nonsensical imho.

Arcadiagamer
27th Oct 2015, 22:57
Tataboj, you are right that in i thought about the theory as real, so it didn't hit my expectations when this theory didn't happen. It was a real dissapointement, much people did believe this, specially after play episode 3. (I begin to believe it in episode 2).

Dire87, if you didn't before, look the post i did create in episode 5 forum about the similar things beetwen both. I would say that both are similar in much aspects. And the fact that she is dead it does not mean that it could be Max from the past or the future in my opinion.

In addition, in the game, all characters talking to you about Rachel, and in the end the player don't even know her or the creators show her in any flashback or something. To me it's truly a dissapointement, and the major mistery in the game.

Dire87
28th Oct 2015, 03:53
Tataboj, you are right that in i thought about the theory as real, so it didn't hit my expectations when this theory didn't happen. It was a real dissapointement, much people did believe this, specially after play episode 3. (I begin to believe it in episode 2).

Dire87, if you didn't before, look the post i did create in episode 5 forum about the similar things beetwen both. I would say that both are similar in much aspects. And the fact that she is dead it does not mean that it could be Max from the past or the future in my opinion.

In addition, in the game, all characters talking to you about Rachel, and in the end the player don't even know her or the creators show her in any flashback or something. To me it's truly a dissapointement, and the major mistery in the game.

As I said, I see it as a means to get the plot moving along. Since this game is very open to your own interpretation I'm not going to argue against it, I just don't see it. We barely got any information on Rachel as it is, most of it from Chloe. She was special to a few people, she was there to create the tension until the true "enemies" were revealed. Without Rachel there would have been no investigation at all, but everything else would have still happened. I'm happy she didn't exist anymore and I also don't believe in the Future/Past stuff. Rachel is Rachel, Max is Max. Rachel Amber exists in every time line we know of, as does Maxine Caulfield. Is it possible the two have some sort of interdimensional connection? Sure, why not. Are they the same person from different timelines? Nah. Just not buying that...and there's nothing to really support that theory imho.

Tataboj
28th Oct 2015, 07:27

How could Rachel be Max from the future? Don't you think Chloe (and everybody else) would recognize her?

Arcadiagamer
28th Oct 2015, 10:10
Always there are similar cases in other media, as i posted before, look Clark Kent and Superman. There are much examples, argumental resources.

Tataboj
28th Oct 2015, 10:38
Always there are similar cases in other media, as i posted before, look Clark Kent and Superman. There are much examples, argumental resources.

But that's a man in disguise, in suit. He has the same face and all. And if Max can change her face, that would make this civil drama a superhero action film and that would be really wrong.

Arcadiagamer
28th Oct 2015, 12:08
Don't have to be the same xD. Anyway, i understand that there are people that like that theory and people not.

MegaMuse
30th Oct 2015, 20:47
The whole deal with Max and Rachel. I don't necessarily believe that she is/was Max. The theories about Rachel being stuck in time (perhaps from not being able to find a photo to go back and reverse things) which just left a lot of missing Rachels in other realities. But I do feel like she had powers like Max. I do find it weird that no matter what alternate reality Max ventured in, Rachel was always missing/presumed dead, yet other characters were altered in some way? Just seems weird to me. I was kinda disappointed to not have had the chance to go back in time and interact with Rachel in some form or fashion (besides that text in the Nightmare, lol) OR it would've been cool (yet morbid) to have seen/interacted with her inside the nightmare.

Not only that, but there was so much more to Samuel. He was such a mysterious character. (Odd, but you could tell he has a good heart and there was just something else about him) Would've been nice to see him more in the last episode about him.

I'm sure they wanted to leave it open ended, but I reeeeeally wanted to know how/why Max got the powers in the first place. We literally get dropped into the story when she has the first (or not?) lighthouse vision. Why did these powers choose her and why at that point in time?

Mark Jefferson had other binders full of photos from other girls that were victims from his Dark Room scheme. A little morbid, but I kinda wanted to learn more about who those girls were and what happened to them /how they are doing now. (Maaaaybe the aftermath of Jefferson/Nathan/Prescott family being shut down amongst other things can be told in a possible season 2 please? =D)

I agree with others with the thought that there should have been a third option at the end of the game for Max to sacrifice herself. Throughout episode 5, I kept feeling that Max was gonna push herself too much with time traveling and would eventually end up dying from it. Or maybe she felt that having the powers was just too much for her to handle, so in the end, she decides to sacrifice herself. So maybe when she died, everything that she changed would just go back to normal or (sadly) she would just leave everyone else and Chloe behind to die/deal with the wrath of the tornado.

Tataboj
30th Oct 2015, 21:27
I do find it weird that no matter what alternate reality Max ventured in, Rachel was always missing/presumed dead, yet other characters were altered in some way? Just seems weird to me.
She was kidnapped by Nathan even if she didn't meet Chloe. Simple.

I was kinda disappointed to not have had the chance to go back in time and interact with Rachel in some form or fashion (besides that text in the Nightmare, lol) OR it would've been cool (yet morbid) to have seen/interacted with her inside the nightmare.
Her character model isn't even in the game. And I think it would be better to keep that mystery of her.

I agree with others with the thought that there should have been a third option at the end of the game for Max to sacrifice herself. Throughout episode 5, I kept feeling that Max was gonna push herself too much with time traveling and would eventually end up dying from it. Or maybe she felt that having the powers was just too much for her to handle, so in the end, she decides to sacrifice herself. So maybe when she died, everything that she changed would just go back to normal or (sadly) she would just leave everyone else and Chloe behind to die/deal with the wrath of the tornado.
I also think the story was written that Chloe has to die in the bathroom or Max mustn't change lives of anyone else thanks to rewind.

KristaD
30th Oct 2015, 21:59
I am certain that is one of the finer points the game is bringing up, the knowledge of knowing what will happen is just as bad or worse than not knowing. There will always be something you can not alter / or something else will happen that is just as bad or worse and you got no way to see it coming. Alternative Chloe is a good example of this.

As a side note, if there are any "trekkies" here you might remember the episode from Voyager : Year of hell. No matter how Annorax meddles with thing, they never come out right.

MaraFirth
3rd Jan 2016, 05:47
CONTAINS SPOILERS BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO HIDE TEXT

I wasn't bothered about lip sync, and had no issue with the manner in which it was released (I simply hoarded them and replayed from the start when Polarized was available such was my satisfaction with Chrysalis - an immensely well-titled episode with only Polarized coming close!) These things may have bothered others and fair play to them. If Life Is Strange has taught us anything it is 'each to their own'.

One reoccurring point made that I do agree with was Max' second-guessing the player's every single decision. It was as irritating as sin. We get we are dealing with consequences and there's no clear cut way of handling any one problem. I felt like I had my own little angel tapping me on the shoulder constantly reminding me that I was playing Life Is Strange - the kind of angel you want to just flick away, or use the fly spray on.

We get it! Something's gotta give!

There were two other parts I didn't like though - both in Polarized althought I sill personally rate Polarized as THE best episode purely on account of its endings...

The first was the Metal Gear Solid moment where you're sneaking your way through the characters. For me it just went on too long and although some of the dialogue was hilarious ('I want you for myselfie!') it kind of debuffed some of that horror I was feeling as, what could very well have been time and space itself, collapsed around me. The searchlight with the massive photos of the victims was horrifying though, and definitely one of the best aspects of that entire collapsing escapade.

The other part in Polarized I didn't like was the cafe with all the still characters. I thought what they were saying was doubtlessly true (except for evil goatee Max) but my problem with this is that I felt the game was trying too had to impress upon me that taking human life was wrong... you know, as if we weren't aware of that. That said, as explained below... impressing upon me their lives' value didn't work on me the first time, and credit to the game - these are my only criticisms Life Is Strange. Given the length of the game, only three cons is an immense success.

The thing I must desperately disagree with most people on though was the ending/s. I had no problems with the endings at all. I don't see the need for a third, nor did I think either needed to go on any longer than they did. It came down to that little proverb - 'a butterfly in Brazil causes a tornado in Texas.' This was obviously communicated to us in a far more literal form which I also thought was bloody class!

Sacrificing Arcadia Bay:
The one I surprised yself with by choosing on the first playthrough... In this case, messing with time at all (saving Chloe in the loo) has jeopardized 'everything.' On a small note, I'm not sure how or why only Arcadia Bay would be affected through the butterfly effect (if that is what it is) although I imagine its because people in Seoul, Johannesburg, and West Yorkshire might not be as well-acquainted with Chloe Price as say, the folks in Arcadia Bay, so the storm had quarrel with only these folks. One thing people have asked though, is why would everyone have been killed? Whose to say there weren't survivors, though? We do see everyone's favorite pirate duo drive through the wrecked town in the end. I imagine what we didn't see was the harrowing moment when they came across Joyce, Warren, and David - yes, David - all dead in The Two Wales. Let's face it, Joyce pointed out The Two Whales probably wouldn't last the night, and we know David is besotted with Joyce and would have risked life and limb to make his way back to the restaurant - likely losing both! Even if David had made it there he would have probably died with the rest of them. That grim note in mind, let's be massively generous and assume only those THREE died in the entire storm... that's already far more than enough for Chloe to skip town, and after all they'd been through together, there's simply no way Max would not be going with her. Max's parents are evidently very caring for their daughter and Chloe, and would begrudge neither should they retreat to max's parents' residence indefinitely. This is exactly where I believe they are going in the end - and personally it was my favorite of the two endings.

What I thought was executed sensationally was the road the girls had taken to come to that decision, the abundantly clear level of love between them, and the experiences - the memories - they had created. Now, I normally play games as myself - my characters would do what I would do - boring, but true, and helps with my sense of morality (EMOJI!!!) I normally weigh up these situations on a life for life basis. If this game was any less awesome, I would have gone through with saving Arcadia Bay without a moment's thought. There are more people there - good people - than Chloe can single-handedly compare against. However - and this is where I felt the writers / developers had their finest hour - the thought that all of those experiences and moments would simply cease to exist was, for me, unbearable! Christ, I had to check the options about three times to make sure I wasn't about to accidentally sacrifice Chloe. As John Lennon once said, 'A dream you dream alone is just a dream, a dream you dream together is a reality.' - (Thanks, JL!) The idea that all of Chloe's and Max's experiences would be wiped from existence and would now be known only to Max is simply horrific - especially with the additional paranormal activity of the rewind. It would be as though none of it happened, largely because, none of it would have happened if Chloe was killed. What was a memory would become an additional content of the imagination. A truth that simply wasn't true. I don't claim to have played every game out there, but no game has ever made me feel like I felt when I came to that conclusion, and I came to it pretty quick. Without the snow, the eclipse, the whales, the two moons, and the storm, I think Max would have difficulty in convincing even Warren of her experiences. He'd probably accompany her to a mental health clinic for her own sake! The selfish notion of saving Chloe for Max's own peace of mind, for me, did outweigh the entire life-worth of Arcadia Bay. Now that's impressive storytelling right there! And, for all that, I'd still consider this the 'selfish' ending, as Max has used the power given to her to effectively kill countless people in order to save one person. In any other game, this would sound like the workings of the antagonist!

Sacrificing Chloe
Now I don't know about you lot but I thought this was also done masterfully. It seemed to have a lot more content than the alternative ending, tear-wrenching stuff. Yes, a 32 year old bloke brought to (-ahem- manful!) tears by a game, and this scene wasn't the only occasion - far from it! But moving on, as awesome as it was, for all the reasons mentioned above, I felt that Max had damned herself to a lifelong secret that was roughly the sum of a lifelong loneliness. I'm still stubborn of the cold-hard fact that her time with Chloe did not happen. Chloe may have demanded (as she does!) that Max does not forget her, and I doubt Max ever would, but there she must be left with the benign feeling that her best mate was part of something that wasn't. The 'selfless' ending (selfless on account of Chloe's insisting on this solution and Max having to live with it!) really caught me off-guard and was waaaay worth the re-play through if not only for that scene in the toilets. The wait for Nathan to enter took so long that I thought time had took a turn beyond Max's control and things would be different, and then when he did enter I had this intense feeling that our little Maxie was about to jump out and try to talk Nathan down... But then THEN when she was shot, I thought 'hang on, she's shot in the stomach - the other ending may have fooled me! She could still survive this!' Yes, there was a moment where I had come to the realization that I was certain that for the entirety of the game wool had been pulled over our eyes and that Chloe would have actually survived the gunshot in the first place and our epic endeavors were on the false assumption that Chloe would died! How harrowing would that have been for us to have completed the selfish ending and sacrifice Arcadia Bay, and then play through again and find out 'oh - we appear to have sacrificed Arcadia Bay on that occasion so that Chloe could avoid a couple of weeks in hospital - woops!' It was a horrendous and yet brilliant moment for me but alas, I was wrong, but I still think this could have been THE MOST VILE (in a good way!) PLOT TWIST in the whole game in hindsight. But moving on... Next I felt the developers missed another trick. Was it necessary that Nathan had to be caught there and then? Instead, could we not have seen him run away. Now's the present - no time travel involved, and with no intention to save Chloe, Max would not be time-tampering and thus Max would be entirely within her rights to approach her - nay, OUR - dying friend who has not seen her for five years, and now, as she lies dying, appears before her to hold her in her final few moments? Look, I absolutely adored this ending, and I am being pedantic now, but these were just all the things running through my head as it all unfolded before me. This isn't a criticism, its a compliment. I thought these things because I was genuinely reaching out for these girls, I was genuinely upset like someone sniveling in the cinema, I was genuinely immersed in a work of art! But then, as the funeral came on (which I did not expect at all!) and I imagined Chloe within the casket smartly dressed and still looking strong even in death, the butterfly came, and Max smiled. And call it a wild stab in the dark, but there I finally found hope for Chloe and I think Max did too! This butterfly came around when Chloe was in danger. Sure, she could only go back a few seconds (minutes on occasions) but I didn't see a rulebook. What's not to say she couldn't go back in time again from that very funeral - more than minutes and seconds, so she could see her friend again at an earlier time? A tornado? They've been there and done that and they know how to fix it. Besides, its not like the tornado has happened before from a timeline point of view. Could this butterfly come and go at other points in her life as well?

I thought both endings were simply amazing, and completed the game amazingly! And what a stupendous rallying call to anti-bullying and tolerance as well. Bloody hell - its just dawned on me that this is my most favorite story ever! Let alone game!

Sorry to ramble on. Won't do it again. Ha! This my ninth rewind!

UNKLEPhilosophy
3rd Jan 2016, 22:35
My feedback:
One of the best game of the earth,of course the game have errors like every other games there is no perfect game and never will be, should I say anything else?

My suggestion: Do not make more life is strange, just because this season wins some awards that don't make the season2 better or even same "good" or make season2 but with different place and characters but I guess its ending up like "another fox skin" lol... just make new games (IP) every time, vampyr looks great.

MaraFirth
6th Jan 2016, 19:37
My feedback:
One of the best game of the earth,of course the game have errors like every other games there is no perfect game and never will be, should I say anything else?

My suggestion: Do not make more life is strange, just because this season wins some awards that don't make the season2 better or even same "good" or make season2 but with different place and characters but I guess its ending up like "another fox skin" lol... just make new games (IP) every time, vampyr looks great.

I agree - ugh, partially!

The game is defo the best game I've ever played, and the best story i've ever been told, BUT, I just feel that there is so much untapped materiel left behind. Pan Estates - what was so bad about it, and the fact the hurricane hit before Max traversed time -although the Prescott's already had a pretty darned good setup aleady for just such an occasion!

I think another season may actually be even too big. But a single prequel or sequel episode (doesn't matter which seeing as we're time travelers) probably wouldn't be enough

Maybe its just me... Never been a fan of 'take away from it what you will' scenarios and this seems to have been one of them. DontNod have all but confirmed there will be no further continuation of Coulfield anyway though.

Tataboj
7th Jan 2016, 09:33
My feedback:

Well, stories can be different, as we know from movies. :)