PDA

View Full Version : Game Informer #263: Rise of the Tomb Raider

Pages : 1 2 [3]

AlexWeiss
27th Feb 2015, 19:50
And good thing the devs didn't go full "survival sim" mode that some fans were asking for. I remember reading some discussions here when a survival game was previewed (I think it was The Forest?) and people were all like "that would be so cool in the next TR game, and it would totally fit because Lara is trying to survive on the island", while not really thinking about how annoying it might actually be to constantly having to feed Lara :whistle:

No way printing costs make up 16 bucks, no. I used to buy gaming mags for like 4 bucks and less. And those were thick, popular, monthly nation-wide mags. Dunno why XBM is that crazy expensive. My guess would be that demand for physical copies in America is low, which would make distribution costs relatively high.
Usually when there's less demand it ends up lowering in price, but yeah, I guess looking at it from the distributor's angle, you'd have to up the price for profit.

Nah, the Xbox mag here in the states costs maybe $7 at the most. Not terribly expensive but not cheap either. They have terrible writers tho, and i'd never trust their reviews. They gave 'Alien: Isolation' low scores until people wrote in and argued it. 3 months later it was their game of the year. Pretty quick to backpedle and change their stance on stuff.
I've never like XB in terms of reviews for that reason. Them and IGN lately have gotten on my nerve recently; IGN said Alien Isolation was 'too hard' but raved about Dark Souls II, and then with Pokemon Aqua Sapphire, one of their main reasons for a low score was 'too much water.' Things like that tick me off, if you're going to give a game a bad score, be reasonable and unbiased, otherwise pass the review to someone else.

Gitb97
27th Feb 2015, 20:12
Not sure if this is todays article but this was a fun read. click (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/02/26/things-that-will-make-the-new-tomb-raider-film-a-success-.aspx)

edit: I'll probably hate this film.

edit 2: this is todays article (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/02/27/camilla-luddington-on-playing-lara-croft-and-the-difficulties-of-pretending-to-drown.aspx)

AdeleDazeem
27th Feb 2015, 21:41
''It blows my mind; you can really feel the mass effect.''
I am definitely using that.

“You’re Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider games,” and I was like, “How did you know? My entire face is covered and we haven’t spoken.”
This really cracked me up :)

And I was actually surprised when Luddington wasn't dressed as Lara in the Halloween episode. Thought it was a missed opportunity. I'm glad it crossed their minds though!

This was my favorite update so far!

Tecstar70
27th Feb 2015, 21:48

“You’re Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider games,” and I was like, “How did you know? My entire face is covered and we haven’t spoken.”
This really cracked me up :)

And I was actually surprised when Luddington wasn't dressed as Lara in the Halloween episode. Thought it was a missed opportunity. I'm glad it crossed their minds though!

This was my favorite update so far!

They could have done a bad version of Lara Croft. One that wasn't quite right and then taken the mickey out of her.

AdeleDazeem
27th Feb 2015, 21:51
It would just have been a constume. If I remember correctly she was dressed as a bumblebee instead.

Tihocan
27th Feb 2015, 22:25
No way printing costs make up 16 bucks, no. I used to buy gaming mags for like 4 bucks and less. And those were thick, popular, monthly nation-wide mags. Dunno why XBM is that crazy expensive. My guess would be that demand for physical copies in America is low, which would make distribution costs relatively high.
When I look at the Google Play edition being $11, I'd think that print and distribution costs aren't as high as expected.

Nah, the Xbox mag here in the states costs maybe $7 at the most.
There's the answer. Bloody Australia Tax.

Rai
28th Feb 2015, 00:08
Podcast: Linky (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2015/02/27/special-edition-podcast-rise-of-the-tomb-raider.aspx?utm_content=buffer10a87&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer) :D

AdeleDazeem
28th Feb 2015, 08:05
Podcast: Linky (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2015/02/27/special-edition-podcast-rise-of-the-tomb-raider.aspx?utm_content=buffer10a87&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer) :D

Nice! Thanks :D

Gitb97
28th Feb 2015, 19:32
I'm so happy Lara can swim again - also thrilled that she's in London, I wonder if we'll see the outside of the flat and see if they created London too...hmm

Tihocan
2nd Mar 2015, 04:06
Just for fun.
GameInformer: Readers select 25 women and 5 men they want to see play Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider movie (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/03/01/readers-select-25-women-and-5-men-they-want-to-see-play-lara-croft-in-the-tomb-raider-movie.aspx)

AdeleDazeem
2nd Mar 2015, 08:29
Emily Blunt is awesome, but... Luddington is the absolute Lara Croft. Lara is her voice, movement and even bits and pieces of her appereance already.

Anyway. Is today the last update?

Gitb97
2nd Mar 2015, 20:56
If that's the last article then I can't help but feel slightly disappointed

dark7angel
2nd Mar 2015, 21:27
^Nope, that one is from yesterday. Here's today's article: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/03/02/six-things-you-may-have-missed-in-the-2013-tomb-raider-reboot.aspx

dayoum
2nd Mar 2015, 21:46
And today's article seems to be the last one: http://www.gameinformer.com/p/rottr.aspx

AlexWeiss
2nd Mar 2015, 22:19
How is that ROTTR coverage?

Gitb97
2nd Mar 2015, 22:25
^ The first few days were the best - these last three or four days haven't been very informative on ROTTR

Rai
2nd Mar 2015, 22:37
^I found the podcast very interesting. Unlike this final update. Talk about anti climatic.

Still, I like what we have learned of Rise so far. Perhaps we'll see something at Pax? Or failing that, I guess E3 it is.

Tihocan
2nd Mar 2015, 22:47
And today's article seems to be the last one: http://www.gameinformer.com/p/rottr.aspx

"Tomb Hanks" :lol:

Did anyone actually leave the guy to die or am I the only one that killed him...?

^I found the podcast very interesting. Unlike this final update. Talk about anti climatic.

Still, I like what we have learned of Rise so far. Perhaps we'll see something at Pax? Or failing that, I guess E3 it is.

Yeah, I would have liked a nice new still/render or something to finish it off. *shrugs* happy with all the new GI info anyway.

dayoum
2nd Mar 2015, 22:52
Did anyone actually leave the guy to die or am I the only one that killed him...
I wanted to leave him once, but when he yelled for a backup I killed him ;) Next time I'm not gonna kill him.

DamianGraham
2nd Mar 2015, 23:06
I listened to the podcast in its entirety finally and I gotta say, it makes me so mad how Brian talks about "if you love Tomb Raider you're going to love this game."

Don't even go there. I love Tomb Raider, and I'm being denied this game. Thanks buddy for yet again being super inconsiderate. They all just talk out of their asses it seems.

WinterSoldierLTE
3rd Mar 2015, 00:11
Did anyone actually leave the guy to die or am I the only one that killed him...?

I'm not sure. I honestly don't even remember that guy. What level were they talking about and what exactly was going on when he needs help? If he calls for help from his comrades, I probably killed him. I can totally picture myself doing that.

dayoum
3rd Mar 2015, 00:39
I'm not sure. I honestly don't even remember that guy. What level were they talking about and what exactly was going on when he needs help? If he calls for help from his comrades, I probably killed him. I can totally picture myself doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXAkjvWx8Io 5:17 ;)

WinterSoldierLTE
3rd Mar 2015, 01:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXAkjvWx8Io 5:17 ;)

Ah. Yeah, definitely killed him. At that point I needed the exp. Sorry, bloke trapped under rubble. But I really wanted "Climber's Agility". Nothing personal.

Thanks for posting that.

AdeleDazeem
3rd Mar 2015, 09:05
I always shoot him, he was begging. One time I was curious and left him there. It wasn't satisfying cause you didn't get extra dialogue from Lara.

After reading the article, I feel as though I should become a completionist.

Tecstar70
3rd Mar 2015, 11:58
I always shoot him, he was begging. One time I was curious and left him there. It wasn't satisfying cause you didn't get extra dialogue from Lara.

Its a tough game to 100% with MP being so slack, but i'm nearly there on the DE (already did 100% on the 360)

AdeleDazeem
3rd Mar 2015, 12:59
I play games for their story (mostly). So when the staff roll is over, my job is done. But TR9 seems to have a lot of additional content when it comes to 100%. :)

WinterSoldierLTE
3rd Mar 2015, 13:38

TR2013 was a beast (for me at least) to 100% on the story. There were so many GPS caches that were excellently hidden,and some challenges were so easy to miss 1 on that it took me 4 playthroughs, one of which was glitched in that a mine on shipwreck beach wasn't there so I couldn't 100% that challenge. But it was there on my next playthrough. It was frustrating, but satisfying once I did it.

I didn't and won't go for 100% on the trophies tho. I'm just not into TR's MP enough to actually dedicate myself to it. Plus at this point I think it's too late even if I wanted to. Ah well.

EDIT: And regards to the GPS caches, I absolutely freaked out when I picked up the very last one and the sound effect triggered. Thanks for that, CD. That was awesome.

d1n0_xD
3rd Mar 2015, 14:17
I completed 97%, I felt pretty good, was missing some of those GPS caches :p

Tecstar70
3rd Mar 2015, 14:21
The real ***** was the Chatterbox achievement. On both the 360 and the Xbox One I had to do another speed run because I missed one along the way and you can't go back! All for 5G!!!!

WinterSoldierLTE
3rd Mar 2015, 14:33
OMG, "Chatterbox", yeah. I know I got it on my 2nd, but it didn't pop. I missed one on the 3rd but finally got it on the 4th.

I completed 97%, I felt pretty good, was missing some of those GPS caches :p

97% ain't bad. I think I got in the 80%-near 90's on my first playthrough. I missed a couple of challenges, and either my eye sight is so bad or the text is so tiny (or both) that I couldn't read any of the text in the box on the map screen to tell what was there and how far along I was on challenges and GPS's. And I'm one of those players that refuses to check out a walkthrough unless I'm either 100% stumped or 100% stuck, so my 100% playthrough took a long time. "Coastal Village" was the worst because of how you have to go back 3 times because you can only explore so much your first 2 trips there. But I got good at shooting running chickens, so that was cool.

AlexWeiss
3rd Mar 2015, 20:04
EDIT: And regards to the GPS caches, I absolutely freaked out when I picked up the very last one and the sound effect triggered. Thanks for that, CD. That was awesome.
I hadn't played the first game since I was a child, so hearing that sound sent an absolute pleasant flash of nostalgia through me. I was quite pleased to hear it.

I think I finished with an 87% but revisited all of the locations until I got 100. The rest of my playthroughs ignored a lot of the stuff, I already knew what everything was so a lot of it I ignored my third or fourth play.

Rai
3rd Mar 2015, 20:23
So does anyone think we'll see small Easter eggs like Feefee or the GPS cache surprises in Rise?

d1n0_xD
3rd Mar 2015, 20:45
^ Don't particularly care about Feefee, would like to see references to other TR games, or other games entirely. :D

dayoum
3rd Mar 2015, 20:59
I completed the game the first time I played it and every next time too. I wanted to find all of the GPS, salvage, PD and stuff. My fav location was Shanty Town, where I just loooved to come back and kill people when they were talking about books or something they lost. Or when they were trying to find me under one of the houses :P Too bad the game doesn't "live" after credits. I wished for more action on the Beach, in the Mountain Village and Summit Forrest and even Shanty Town, since this location was one of the best made. I never mind some action like ambushes etc, but I'd like to have more opporurnities to kill my enemies silently so I really hope ROTTR will give it to me.

WinterSoldierLTE
3rd Mar 2015, 21:05
So does anyone think we'll see small Easter eggs like Feefee or the GPS cache surprises in Rise?

I wasn't active on the forums when fee fee was named, so that reference was lost on me. I'd be alright with some older TR easter eggs tho. Alot of people may see them as fan service or to an extent not letting go of the past, but I see things like that as devs remembering their roots in a sense.

AdeleDazeem
4th Mar 2015, 19:37
No new date has been added to the hub. I guess that means 'Rise Month' is really over now. It was awesome to update us like this. Most updates may have been a little 'been there done that' because of the first one and the full article leaking to Imgur day numero 2. But each unique article was something to look at. My favorites (aside from the obvious first update) were Lara's gear and the recent interview with Luddington. That was a great read. :)

AdobeArtist
4th Mar 2015, 20:52
Uhm, no it's not. Her guns actually have a function - killing enemies. Superficial would be to say that Lara's boobs make her iconic.

Which is of course true - Lara (well, pre-reboot Lara at least) is known largely because of her large bust size. And sure, we can call it superficial, but that doesn't make it any less true ;)

Maybe superficial wasn't quite the right word. But it does seem that iconic is being attributed to more, shall we say "cosmetic" characteristics? Like the clothing, the guns are an outward trapping that Lara adorns. Does that make her what she is? And sure they have a function as a weapon, but again I submit, when they're not that unique, as so many other characters are armed with common place pistols, can they really fulfill the criteria of iconic, as opposed to the other attributes of substance and importance I listed before?

I will also once again submit, as Lara has always employed a diversity of weapons, the pistols aren't what one can say is part of her identity, hence contributing to what makes Lara herself iconic.

lol, sometimes I wish you would distil your own posts that contain those walls of texts :rasp:

I kid, I kid :D

...maybe

width=600

touche... touche :o

Also a valid argument in my book :p

I wouldn't like to see Lara walking around in those damn ugly baggy pants forever :whistle:

Neither would I, nor would I like her to be constrained to one outfit as some kind of "singular identifying image" for her either ;)

So, my point is that she WILL become the Tomb Raider and along with that comes the iconic image of Lara Croft which is still being upheld in GoL and LCTOO and that iconic image involves Dual Pistols. The only way I can see this NOT happening is that CD don't think it important enough, but I think they recognise Lara'a legacy is important to the character.

You see, this is what bothers me; "will become the Tomb Raider" which you attribute as the pistols being an integral part of that, rather than Lara's character, her life's mission and such. Do you subscribe that "Lara isn't Lara without them"? :scratch:

I always wished there was a pony tail hair option in the Mass Effect games, I wanted to custom design a "Lara Shepard" as one of my Spectre's in the game :p

WinterSoldierLTE
4th Mar 2015, 21:09
Like the clothing, the guns are an outward trapping that Lara adorns. Does that make her what she is? And sure they have a function as a weapon, but again I submit, when they're not that unique, as so many other characters are armed with common place pistols, can they really fulfill the criteria of iconic, as opposed to the other attributes of substance and importance I listed before?

I will also once again submit, as Lara has always employed a diversity of weapons, the pistols aren't what one can say is part of her identity, hence contributing to what makes Lara herself iconic.

How are they not iconic? They're unique to Lara in that she's used them so much and made them her own that I'd be willing to bet if you asked anyone who's played video games to name the first character that comes to mind when they think about dual pistols Lara would be the first name they'd say. Pretty iconic to me.

Are they anything special? Aside from the unlimited ammo, no. But if you're gonna go that route you might as well say "Solid Snake's bandana is nothing special either.". It's not, other than the similarity with the pistols, but they've both become so identifiable with the characters that it's hard to picture them without it.

The pistols contribute to the overall recognition and "legend" of Lara. They help define her just like all her other attributes help. It's not 1 single thing that defines her, it's a combination of many.

But hey
l
l
l
\/

d1n0_xD
4th Mar 2015, 22:03
^ I think what AA is trying to say is that Lara doesn't need dual guns to become a Tomb Raider, which I agree with. It's iconic and everything, but it isn't what makes her THE Tomb Raider she's going to become. Tomb Raider is something within her, not her guns. :)

Blacktron
4th Mar 2015, 22:12
Again, people are arguing here about whether the attributes or the personality are what make Lara Lara, like it is an exact science. It's not; they're subjective perspectives. From an objective point of view it's a mix of both.

IvanaKC
4th Mar 2015, 22:25
How are they not iconic? They're unique to Lara in that she's used them so much and made them her own that I'd be willing to bet if you asked anyone who's played video games to name the first character that comes to mind when they think about dual pistols Lara would be the first name they'd say. Pretty iconic to me.

Are they anything special? Aside from the unlimited ammo, no. But if you're gonna go that route you might as well say "Solid Snake's bandana is nothing special either.". It's not, other than the similarity with the pistols, but they've both become so identifiable with the characters that it's hard to picture them without it.

The pistols contribute to the overall recognition and "legend" of Lara. They help define her just like all her other attributes help. It's not 1 single thing that defines her, it's a combination of many.

:thumb:

^ I think what AA is trying to say is that Lara doesn't need dual guns to become a Tomb Raider, which I agree with. It's iconic and everything, but it isn't what makes her THE Tomb Raider she's going to become. Tomb Raider is something within her, not her guns. :)

Actually, I think it is. If we go with that logic, we could also make her blonde and say that what's making her a tomb raider is within her.

What's outside and inside the character is equally important to me. Call me superficial, but when it comes to iconic stuff, outside is even more important because when I play, I look at my character the whole time, I'm not having deep conversations with him/her. It's also about skills - Lara using dual guns makes me think that she has incredible control over her hand muscles (it's hard enough to shoot with only one pistol). Then again, her new weapon is a bow. Which requires a different set of skills. And it's so overused that it's a shame they are trying to make it her trademark, too.

dayoum
4th Mar 2015, 23:52
As for me, I'm interested in the story. I've never cared what kind of a gun Lara has (but I loooove the bow! They got to keep it!) or what she's wearing. Lara's story was never really addressed as much as it should've been and some of the "facts" are contradicting themselves. For example - Lara's paretns. At first, they weren't dead and we didn't know who they were. They just had enough of her attitude so the kind of kicked her out of home and she worked her butt off to become famous archeologist. Later, they were dead, but her dad was an archeologist who was not only rich, but also famous and she inherited everything. So we had a few versions of her backstory so far, all of them incomplete or with mistakes. Reboot gives us an oppoturnity to actually learn about Lara, from the beginning to the end so I don't mind her looking different, having emotions, using bow instead of dual pistos because she became a person. She has a human face now. And her backstory is a solid one, for the first time.

AdobeArtist
5th Mar 2015, 05:44
Something that occurred to me; Doctor Who is a highly recognized British icon. But here we have a character who's changed his appearance twelve times already. And this goes beyond merely having different actors represent the same character, as with James Bond. There even with different actors, they accord themselves an established template, (stylish attire, well groomed, sophisticated mannerism, etc....)

But with the Doctor, his appearance is altered on the most fundamental levels, from face to hair color & style, fashion sense, personality quirks, behavioral traits, and so on.

So what is it then that we identify with the Doctor's character as an icon when he is perpetually changing?

d1n0_xD
5th Mar 2015, 06:21
^ Some would say the Tardis is iconic, if the dual guns are as important to everyone.

Tecstar70
5th Mar 2015, 09:31
^ Some would say the Tardis is iconic, if the dual guns are as important to everyone.

Part of being iconic is that imagery makes something instatntly recognisable. You see a blue police box, most people will think of the Doctor. You think about Lara Croft, you think about dual pistols.

Yes, there is more to both characters than appearance, but I never said there wasn't!

Rai
5th Mar 2015, 10:30
You can't compare the Tardis to dual pistols. The Tardis is the very means with which the Doctor travels through time and space. Without it he's grounded. And yet he's still recognisable even after a new regeneration. Lara can and does tomb raid without the dual pistols. Or were you all confused who you playing as in AoD? The dual pistols are just a small part of Lara's arsenal that help her to be recognisable, but she still is without them. She needs them a whole lot less to raid than the Doctor does to continue traveling the universe.

What makes the Doctor recognisable even after a new regeneration (even without his Tardis)? Despite changes in quirks, personality traits etc, I'd say it was in a certain charisma, confidence and a way of handling himself and situations. The Tardis itself is of course recognisable, it's almost a personality in an of itself. The same can't be said of Lara's pistols.

Lara's original outfit and gear will always be iconic, she wore and used the same in most of the games, but she is still recognisable without them. And I'd say it is for similar reasons the Doctor is the Doctor.

Tecstar70
5th Mar 2015, 10:42
You can't compare the Tardis to dual pistols. The Tardis is the very means with which the Doctor travels through time and space. Without it he's grounded. And yet he's still recognisable even after a new regeneration. Lara can and does tomb raid without the dual pistols. Or were you all confused who you playing as in AoD? The dual pistols are just a small part of Lara's arsenal that help her to be recognisable, but she still is without them. She needs them a whole lot less to raid than the Doctor does to continue traveling the universe.

What makes the Doctor recognisable even after a new regeneration (even without his Tardis)? Despite changes in quirks, personality traits etc, I'd say it was in a certain charisma, confidence and a way of handling himself and situations. The Tardis itself is of course recognisable, it's almost a personality in an of itself. The same can't be said of Lara's pistols.

Lara's original outfit and gear will always be iconic, she wore and used the same in most of the games, but she is still recognisable without them. And I'd say it is for similar reasons the Doctor is the Doctor.

I seem to be being misunderstood. I am not saying that her dual-pistols are the ONLY iconic aspect of Lara Croft. I am not saying that without them she is unrecognisable. I am saying that they form an image of the character that is iconic and that because this is so to never give them back to her seems to be a geat ommission.

Do an image search for Lara Croft. There are plenty of her with and without dual pistols, but I would argue that the ones that stand out the most are the images with dual pistols and make the image most recognisable as Lara Croft.

Rai
5th Mar 2015, 10:55
And as you'll see, I acknowledged Lara's whole original outfit and gear as being iconic. I also said the pistols are just a small part of that image. My point was in the comparison between pistols and the Tardis. The two aren't comparible in my book, except to say that both Doctor and Lara are recognisable without them. I think most would agree that Lara was still bad-ass and raiding able and undeniably Lara with just one pistol and in trousers and a black top.

IvanaKC
5th Mar 2015, 18:40
Something that occurred to me; Doctor Who is a highly recognized British icon. But here we have a character who's changed his appearance twelve times already. And this goes beyond merely having different actors represent the same character, as with James Bond. There even with different actors, they accord themselves an established template, (stylish attire, well groomed, sophisticated mannerism, etc....)

But with the Doctor, his appearance is altered on the most fundamental levels, from face to hair color & style, fashion sense, personality quirks, behavioral traits, and so on.

So what is it then that we identify with the Doctor's character as an icon when he is perpetually changing?

Isn't that what's iconic in Dr Who? Series came with the idea of constantly changing actors and it would be unacceptable to see the same actor in two seasons.
We can also add American Horror Story to this discussion, but it goes the other way around - actors are mostly the same while everything else changes.

bernardletare81
5th Mar 2015, 20:07
e comment faire j etait au niveau 35 mai je sui tombe au niveau commen sa se fait ?

AdobeArtist
5th Mar 2015, 20:54
Isn't that what's iconic in Dr Who? Series came with the idea of constantly changing actors and it would be unacceptable to see the same actor in two seasons.
We can also add American Horror Story to this discussion, but it goes the other way around - actors are mostly the same while everything else changes.

Actually the regeneration wasn't in the original concept of the program. But what happened after 3 seasons was the first actor, William Hartnel got sick. The BBC found themselves with a runaway hit, far more successful for a sci-fi series than they could have anticipated. They wanted to keep the show going but faced the challenge of how could it run without Hartnel to be around as the principle role?

Then one of the writers said something like, "Well if he's an alien, couldn't his race have a biological ability to change their body to avoid death?" And this became the regeneration that's now a staple of the character, and fully integrated into the Timelord mythology.

Oh and across the 50 years that Doctor Who has been around, plenty of actors have had more than 2 seasons, with Tom Baker (the 4th) being the record holder with 6 or 7 seasons. The only exceptions being Christopher Eccleston (the 9th) who had only one and left for some dispute over creative differences or some such, and Paul McGann (the 8th) who had his shot in a TV movie in the 90's.

IvanaKC
5th Mar 2015, 21:09
Oh and across the 50 years that Doctor Who has been around, plenty of actors have had more than 2 seasons, with Tom Baker (the 4th) being the record holder with 6 or 7 seasons. The only exceptions being Christopher Eccleston (the 9th) who had only one and left for some dispute over creative differences or some such, and Paul McGann (the 8th) who had his shot in a TV movie in the 90's.

But it wasn't a reboot, that's just the way series went because of the circumstances. Today it became iconic for us younger generations, especially because series has been here for that long. Come on, no actor would commit to do one series his whole life. Besides, like it was mentioned already, there's Tardis. I don't see TR ever being in that kind of situation because everything's possible when it comes to animation.

So, I'm staying with my opinion - stripping Lara of her dual pistols and giving her a bow is a move they did because being mainstream and sticking with a bow like every other character these days is popular.

Tihocan
5th Mar 2015, 23:54
So, I'm staying with my opinion - stripping Lara of her dual pistols and giving her a bow is a move they did because being mainstream and sticking with a bow like every other character these days is popular.

Popular how?

width=200

pre-dates

width=100
width=100
width=100
width=100

Blacktron
7th Mar 2015, 21:56
Hello Crystal D. As this newsmonth is over I'd thought I make a list of the things that stood out for me in either a good way or a bad one, and figure out how excited I am about the whole thing...

Right from the start there were two things that I was very excited about: the dual pickaxes and Jonah. I trust that the two axes can be used in melee combat and I can't wait to see that dual axe wielding in action :D Jonah was my favourite of the non-Lara survivors and he looks better now with a full beard and normal hair. Though I liked his character as a gorilla gentleman I thought his hair was stupid. I was pleasantly surprised at how good he and Lara look in that picture:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjhd75GUu-U6YfKUBrqHVRUB8UPpthvjF4qJCuMoRR0KeBzORW

I like it that for the story the writing team as chosen to explore a rather obscure myth rather than something everyone has heard about and has been done many times over. Having it taking place in Siberia however, is something I find somewhat disappointing. After the grey and depressing Yamatai I was hoping for a more colourful location, like somewhere in the tropics. This Siberian wilderness to me has a too boring and depressing colour scheme.

http://media1.gameinformer.com/filestorage/CommunityServer.Components.SiteFiles/imagefeed/featured/crystaldynamics/tomb-raider/rise/wmart-95r73q/610smallrottr-concept4.jpg

But it's a good thing that we'll also go to the desert then. Not ver colourful either, but at least there's more light. Now this Siberia location reminds me of the Kazakhstan level in Legend, which was one of my favourite levels of that game. However, it wasn't because of the place and how it looked, but because it was one of the few areas of TR Legend that had a character to it. Maybe that sounds kinda cliche, like: 'The Enterprise is a character and blablabla...' but what that means in this case was that unlike the Nepal or Ghana level, the Kazakhstan level had a history to it. We learned something about what had taken place in this creepy secret lab: all kinds of eerie experiments with dark powers. That made the location instantly so much more interesting than the characterless Ghana level.
TR9 did this very well with Yamatai: the place was full of history and thus it definitely had a character to it. I hope that Crystal D will manage to achieve the same with the two locations in TR10.

I am glad that in TR10 the secret organisation Trinity will play a big role. In the past it has happened that Crystal D just completely forgot what premises were set up by the previous game that the new one was supposed to be the sequel to *COUGH!* Underworld! *COUGH* I am curious to find out what Trinity's story is. I just hope that they don't turn out to be less interesting than I imagined them, you know... as diabolical cult members who dress up in black robes, with golden belts and masks, swinging around medieval swords. If it's not gonna be like that they better be more awesome than that! I'm counting on you Crystal D! :D

While I was very positive about most of the early news, I received some of the later news with less enthousiasm. In this gear guide that was released I find the lack of dual guns VERY disturbing! And it's not because I have a bet with my friends that if there won't be dual guns I have to put up a Twilight picture for my avatar: it's because I want my damn dual guns in my damn Tomb Raider game! The story in TR9 was perfect: how those guns belonged to her mentor and how he passed them on to her as he died. But then I do expect her to carry them around in the next adventure!

While TR9 overall was a very good game, there were certain story points were I had to shake my head a little: most of them revolved around the ways the script tried to separate Lara from the others. For instance: just after Roth's funeral Lara says that she needs to be alone for a while - you know: on an Island full of dangerous murderers it's a good idea to get separated from your group and have nobody watch your back while you are moping around somobody's grave... Though I haven't seen the scene myself yet, a journalist described the TR10 scene were Lara tells Jonah to go away because she needs to do this alone. WHY? Give me a good in-universe reason why that is? And if you can and must do this alone then why did you bring the guy over there in the first place? I am not already decided that this is bollocks because I haven't seen it yet in it's proper context, but I am suspicious about it.

Over the last weeks, I have become somewhat less enthousiastic about Rhianna Pratchett being the writer of Lara. If she holds on to this dumber than dumb story about Lara having money and only using it to swim in like Uncle Scrooge McDuck then it's obvious to me that we're not on the same wavelength. I am also a bit suspicious about her sometimes somewhat female chauvinistic tendencies. Though that doesn't necessarily means that I will enjoy the eventual writing less, I will just have to see it before I can judge it.

Before I complain some more, I will put up some green words here by telling you that I like having swimming sections in TR10. That's all I've got... I like being able to swim...

The Game Informer article then goes on telling about Lara having to fight bears and wolves. And from what I know about videogames these animals are gonna be the biggest psychopaths of the animal kingdom, wanting her dead as much as Giger's Alien. Animals may seem threatening in medieval folklore but to modern day BBC documentary watchers this is completely absurd. Unless the animal is a hippopotamus, a blue ringed octopus or a malaria mosquito: it just doesn't want to kill a human. I fear that there is gonna be too much animal enemies. And I don't give a damn about this being part of Tomb Raider history. So are pyramid boobs. I find that it degrades Lara as a hero to be killing inferior enemies without weapons or intelligence. Commander Shepard is out there fighting 2 kilometer long killer robots and saving people by the planetloads: meanwhile Lara Croft is fighting enemies that one should be defeatable with a dog biscuit. Maybe Commander Shepard is too different of a hero: but Nathan Drake is more comparable and he too seems more heroic when his enemies are more of an actual threat.

And of course this killing wolves is part of the new crafting system; you have to hunt to gather stuff to craft new stuff from, and for special items you have to kill the super bear or the alpha wolf. I have seen this before, in Far Cry 3 and 4, and Assassins Creed Rogue. And Game Informer talks about how the collecting of garbage and turning it into deadly weapons reminds him of Last of Us. Look: I know you can't reinvent the game medium again every time, but a game has little to offer me when instead of doing it's own thing, and trying to enrich the gaming world with it, it is aping stuff from other games. I might as well play those games instead... Besides... those games actually ARE AVAILABLE ON PS!

Let's see: can I end on a positive note? Yeah I think I can... I like it that we're able to choose from different weapons in the weapon slots. And also the promise of the areas being two to three times bigger.

That's 9 positive points and 7 negatives. The Xbox exclusivity however is a big deal when it comes to crushing enthousiasm: so that counts for two, and I think I'm being generous there. That makes for an excitement level of:

9 / 17 * 100 = 52 %

Gitb97
8th Mar 2015, 02:35
Over the last weeks, I have become somewhat less enthousiastic about Rhianna Pratchett being the writer of Lara. If she holds on to this dumber than dumb story about Lara having money and only using it to swim in like Uncle Scrooge McDuck then it's obvious to me that we're not on the same wavelength. I am also a bit suspicious about her sometimes somewhat female chauvinistic tendencies. Though that doesn't necessarily means that I will enjoy the eventual writing less, I will just have to see it before I can judge it.

I constantly feel like she was an okay choice for the reboot considering, but for the sequel nah. I have a feeling Lara will become too much of a feminist symbol and it'll irritate me considering how I grew up with her. It gets on my nerves when people say "But this is the reboot! New Lara!" What was wrong with old Lara's personality? She was rebellious and cool, this Lara is still getting there but if Rhianna remains the writer it's most likely going to take another three games before she is there.
Anyway my point is, we have Tomb Raider, we saw her origin story. I thought thats all it was, an origin story. Not an origin next 4 or 5 games... I want Laras wit and way of making me laugh back, she's depressing now, like crack a smile and make a joke or something like damn she was never this serious before. I get the anxiety and whatnot but I have anxiety too and i'm still sarcastic and witty when I feel like it, anxiety doesn't mean no sense of humor.

d1n0_xD
8th Mar 2015, 02:57
^ What makes you think Rhiana's gonna take another 2-3 games before Lara "is there"? I think she already "is there" and that we're going to see that in RotTR.

Gitb97
8th Mar 2015, 14:02
It's the way the devs have been talking about Lara that give me that feeling, like no one has said "She's starting to get the parts of her that the fans loved back." It's still been quite "Her emotions will be challenged" along those lines. Don't get me wrong I like emotion from her but not too emotional. I was given the impression that at the end of TR(2013) she was "that kind of Croft," and it wasn't going to take a comic book, novel and second game to fire up "That kind of Croft," even further. So thats where I get the vibe that it'll take another game or two before she is there. I'd like Lara to be there in RotTR but there's been no "She's awesome and kicking butt." hype like there probably would've been before

d1n0_xD
8th Mar 2015, 14:13
well, I don't know, it seems that she's kicking butt to me, but we still didn't see any videos, so I'll wait before any conclusions :D

dayoum
8th Mar 2015, 14:33
well, I don't know, it seems that she's kicking butt to me, but we still didn't see any videos, so I'll wait before any conclusions :D

Agree, she's kicking butt. She was already doing it at the end of Reborn.

I like her new personality tbh, I don't want her to be like the old Lara - a cold hearted "killer". I want her to have emotions. She was presented to us as a good human being with pure heart and shy personality, I want this parts of her to still be there. She can kill as much as she want to (or we want to :P ) to survive her journey. But I'd like her to stay human, have regrets sometimes. If I want the old Lara, I have plenty of old games to play and it looks like SE isn't done with making "old-style" Lara so there will be more games with her old design. Reborn is different and should stay different. This difference is what interested me the most and I really don't want to lose it. I also see Pratchett's storytelling perfect. I've never played a game with her writing, this was the very first time and I gotta say, I enjoyed every part of it. Even tho some parts were illogical - like the pilot who refused to land during the storm (no pilot would want to fly in such weather), but it was made for the drama so I can forgive it.

AdobeArtist
8th Mar 2015, 18:17
Agree, she's kicking butt. She was already doing it at the end of Reborn.

I like her new personality tbh, I don't want her to be like the old Lara - a cold hearted "killer". I want her to have emotions. She was presented to us as a good human being with pure heart and shy personality, I want this parts of her to still be there. She can kill as much as she want to (or we want to :P ) to survive her journey. But I'd like her to stay human, have regrets sometimes. If I want the old Lara, I have plenty of old games to play and it looks like SE isn't done with making "old-style" Lara so there will be more games with her old design. Reborn is different and should stay different. This difference is what interested me the most and I really don't want to lose it. I also see Pratchett's storytelling perfect. I've never played a game with her writing, this was the very first time and I gotta say, I enjoyed every part of it. Even tho some parts were illogical - like the pilot who refused to land during the storm (no pilot would want to fly in such weather), but it was made for the drama so I can forgive it.

I wouldn't say Lara is "pure of heart". For the most part sure, she's a good person, but also flawed and therefore prone to actions of less than noble intent. I see it more as Lara simply being someone who tries to do the right thing to the best of her understanding of what that right thing is from one circumstance to the next. Pretty much as most people just trying to navigate by their own moral compass.

As for the whole killing subject; my take on that is she's by no means a savage psychopath, because she only kills when she has to, not from any desire (wants to) to out of some sadistic pleasure. She'll kill to protect herself or those she cares about when threatened (whether by enemy mercs or vicious wildlife), or when enemies force her hand in their deliberate efforts to stand in her way. Just because Lara has to take lethal action, doesn't mean it was her first choice or that she was looking for a fight.

dayoum
8th Mar 2015, 19:53
I wouldn't say she's a psychopath. Psychopaths don't feel fear or guilt. Lara on the other hand does. She did what she had to do to survive, but there was a price to it - PTSD.

She was pure hearted IMO and even tho she killed so many, she's still pure hearted. She's not really a killer, she's a survivor. She wants to do good, but she can't do it without hurting those who wants to hurt her or her "family" and friends. In Reborn, she didn't want to kill, she was forced to do it. If she didn't kill all those people, she'd never save herself and the remaining crew, they'd never go back home. Her PTSD says a lot about her personality - what she did had scarred her for the rest of her life (PTSD doesn't heal, it goes to sleep and wakes up from time to time). It's cruel, but it's also realistic.

AdobeArtist
8th Mar 2015, 21:01
I wouldn't say she's a psychopath. Psychopaths don't feel fear or guilt. Lara on the other hand does. She did what she had to do to survive, but there was a price to it - PTSD.

Of course Lara's remorse plays a part of her character. But really what defines the context of her killing, is what drives her choices in the moment, far more than how she deals with them afterwards. It's the difference between the cold blooded who takes pleasure in the act, or does so without reason, as opposed to someone who is forced to take violent action against their wishes.

Gitb97
8th Mar 2015, 21:15
It's not that I want Lara to be coldhearted, it's just that I miss her sense of humor, I just feel like she's too serious now

AdobeArtist
8th Mar 2015, 22:52
It's not that I want Lara to be coldhearted, it's just that I miss her sense of humor, I just feel like she's too serious now

because

video games are

SERIOUS BUSINESS!!!

:p :p :p :p

WinterSoldierLTE
9th Mar 2015, 00:00

I know what you mean. I miss the lightheartedness to.

AdeleDazeem
9th Mar 2015, 11:07
I know what you mean. I miss the lightheartedness to.

I agree as well. Uncharted has a lot of awkward humor thrown in, actually most games have that. TR9 didn't need it, but Rise could be a little less serious :)

AdobeArtist
9th Mar 2015, 15:51
I agree as well. Uncharted has a lot of awkward humor thrown in, actually most games have that. TR9 didn't need it, but Rise could be a little less serious :)

To be fair, the ordeals Lara was going through in the last game didn't really afford humorous scenes. Sure she goes through life and death battles all the time, but the first game (of a new timeline) is something different. Taken in context of an inexperienced girl unexpectedly thrown into such a traumatic experience, with so much horror thrown at her where she simply isn't ready to cope, every breath she draws is filled with fear - finding a humorous moment would be so out of place. It's the whole survival theme.

But hopefully in Lara's next adventure, where she's grown and become more capable, and will be going into her expedition more prepared, there will be opportunities for some witty repartee :)

Blacktron
9th Mar 2015, 20:26
To be fair, the ordeals Lara was going through in the last game didn't really afford humorous scenes. Sure she goes through life and death battles all the time, but the first game (of a new timeline) is something different. Taken in context of an inexperienced girl unexpectedly thrown into such a traumatic experience, with so much horror thrown at her where she simply isn't ready to cope, every breath she draws is filled with fear - finding a humorous moment would be so out of place. It's the whole survival theme.

Reasonable, but not necessarily true I think; in 1960's war movies or tv series like Hornblower and Sharpe you often got British soldiers making jokes or joky remarks during dangerous situations.

* Two guys are crawling through the bushes and see a giant French army in the valley below* 'I think we're outnumbered.'
* The horribly outnumbered garison just repelled an attack from 5000 Zulus* 'We killed 50 of them!' - 'Good, only 4950 to go.'
* The junior officer asks the captain about the raft that the crew is building on the deck; that is made for the purpose of having someone draw the enemy fire with lantarns. The captain answers:* 'That's your first command!'

In TR9 Alex did that during the very little screentime he had: 'are there cameras in the trees?' And even Lara had one line that was a tiny bit jocular: 'You're really here!... *cough* and you're really really dead!'
That cough is the only time you can see her breasts bounce, by the way... uh... just a random remark...

There could have been more of that:
*Lara wakes up upside down in that cocoon thingy* 'Uh... Problem, we have a Houston.'
*Lara just stumbles out of the cave were she saw the Oni* 'Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, now we also got 9 foot samourai zombies who wanna kill us. Thank god it's at least friday!'

It doesn't even have to be jokes: it could also be a really dry response to a very dramatic event that makes for a little comical situation. Such as when Lord Uxbridge during the battle of Waterloo got his leg shot off by a canonball. He said to the Duke of Wellington next to him:
'By God, sir, I've lost my leg!' And Wellington said: 'By God, sir, so you have!'

AlexWeiss
9th Mar 2015, 21:32
I miss that too, it was one of my favorite things about Lara and something I love about Nathan Drake as well. Lara's dark humor was always great, even the clever little one liners. It's not like she was never serious in the classic games, there were many time she had to be, but I understand why she wasn't in the most recent one, especially with specific scenes like the opening one.

IvanaKC
9th Mar 2015, 22:04

True that. I don't even remember how her smile (or even a smirk) looks like in the new game. :hmm:
I want sarcasm back...

You might be right, but I don't expect any game to be completely realistic, just fun. My idea of a fun TR game is humor at some point. Also, humor is sometimes a way to cope with situation.

Tihocan
9th Mar 2015, 22:17
That cough is the only time you can see her breasts bounce, by the way... uh... just a random remark...
http://i.imgur.com/H1eYgks.jpg

There could have been more of that:
*Lara wakes up upside down in that cocoon thingy* 'Uh... Problem, we have a Houston.'
*Lara just stumbles out of the cave were she saw the Oni* 'Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, now we also got 9 foot samourai zombies who wanna kill us. Thank god it's at least friday!'

It doesn't even have to be jokes: it could also be a really dry response to a very dramatic event that makes for a little comical situation. Such as when Lord Uxbridge during the battle of Waterloo got his leg shot off by a canonball. He said to the Duke of Wellington next to him:
'By God, sir, I've lost my leg!' And Wellington said: 'By God, sir, so you have!'

Hilarious, but immensely out of place. The devs were going for gritty realism, not a camp action.
For jokes, the character needs to be confident and cocky (like Drake). Not young, inexperienced and thrown into a violent, frightening situation.
Maybe for ROTTR there could be some very dry humour.

Blacktron
9th Mar 2015, 22:23
Hilarious, but immensely out of place. The devs were going for gritty realism, not a camp action.
For jokes, the character needs to be confident and cocky (like Drake). Not young, inexperienced and thrown into a violent, frightening situation.
Disagreed. If it were done in the Drake way, yeah in that case it would have been out of place. But little jokes and dry remarks can be delivered in a cynical way between all the sighs and grunts and I think that would have worked. But them not chosing to do so was a correct choice too.

Tihocan
10th Mar 2015, 03:20
... little jokes and dry remarks can be delivered in a cynical way...

I think this is where we agree, but your examples don't reflect that. "Problem, we have a Houston" is not that, it's camp and assuming. It reminds me of the Tooheys Blue ad from 1994 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0fl-01omqc)...

Also, I again disagree that you can just start firing them off as desired.
The whole point of the first 10 playable minutes of Tomb Raider is - apart from getting you used to the controls - is to set the scene of a dirty, frightening, unknown world and jokes would effectively remove that.

Jokes don't come from people who are in any way comfortable with their situation. It would be like the cartoonists at Hebdo saying "lucky that, we were worried about what we were going to put in next weeks issue!"

Lara becomes stronger, more comfortable with her capacity - sure, pop in a few one liners. Some very light, dry one liners. TR2013's "I hate tombs!" was about as wry as it should and did get.

Once she starts yelling "heads up" after decapitating an enemy she belongs in Gears of War or Bulletstorm. :D

AdeleDazeem
10th Mar 2015, 09:08
To be fair, the ordeals Lara was going through in the last game didn't really afford humorous scenes.
But hopefully in Lara's next adventure, where she's grown and become more capable, and will be going into her expedition more prepared, there will be opportunities for some witty repartee :)

Agreed. Like I said; TR9 didn't need humorous scenes. I've heard many people complain, but it would have ruined the mood.

Eyes are here and up here, commander.

But now I think about it, TR9 already had a lot of light scenes. Such as the ''Really really dead'' and ''I hate tombs''. Huh, never thought about it that way.

Blacktron
10th Mar 2015, 15:50

I can't admire her mind or her body? You give her father too much credit. Yeah, he gave her her gifts, but she can be proud of what she has done with them.

Anyway... A more well known example would be Jeff Goldblum's Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park:

* T-rex crashes throught the fence * 'Boy do I hate being right all the time.'
* Ian is found wounded underneath a palm tree after being run over by the rex * 'Remind me to thank John for a lovely weekend.'
* Car is being chased by the rex * 'You think they'll have that on the tour?'

At no point does it break the suspense or does it feel out of place: in an ironic twist the humour actually emphasizes the threat and danger of the situation.

dayoum
10th Mar 2015, 17:48
Agreed. Like I said; TR9 didn't need humorous scenes. I've heard many people complain, but it would have ruined the mood.

I agree. Lara had absolutely no reason to joke. Yeah, she did say something "funny" and/or sarcastic a couple of times, like:
- are you sure you're not channeling Sam, dr Whitman?
- I hate tombs
- really, really dead
Alex and Sam had their moments, but Lara's situation was too serious. Also, new Lara seems to be much different from the old Lara. She may not be too serious (we've seen more of her character in the comics), but she had a lot of self doubts and Sam had to assure her that she's right by telling her she and Roth trust her. She had to be pushed, quite literally. I wonder how she'll grow up from this experience, how is it going to change her.

Driber
10th Mar 2015, 21:51
http://i.imgur.com/H1eYgks.jpg

What, we can talk endlessly about Lara's bloody eyeshadow, but the second someone mentions her breasts it's reason to winge?

http://www.demotivation.us/media/demotivators/demotivation.us_LADIES-MY-EYES-ARE-RIGHT-UP-HERE-_134952365635.jpg

Tell me you didn't look :p

Gitb97
10th Mar 2015, 22:10
True that. I don't even remember how her smile (or even a smirk) looks like in the new game. :hmm:
I want sarcasm back...

Disagreed. If it were done in the Drake way, yeah in that case it would have been out of place. But little jokes and dry remarks can be delivered in a cynical way between all the sighs and grunts and I think that would have worked. But them not chosing to do so was a correct choice too.

But now I think about it, TR9 already had a lot of light scenes. Such as the ''Really really dead'' and ''I hate tombs''. Huh, never thought about it that way.

"I hate tombs!" was the only quote that got a smirk out of me to be honest, just for the irony :p I love Laras early days sarcasm, people hate sarcastic women most of the time but it's such a great trait for Lara to carry, she was very cunning in Legend, I think the help of Alistair and Zip was beneficial in that way because she made tons of remarks about those two

Tihocan
10th Mar 2015, 22:17
What, we can talk endlessly about Lara's bloody eyeshadow, but the second someone mentions her breasts it's reason to winge?

Did I use the wrong meme? I thought it was a "sideways glance" sorta thing *shrugs*

Far be it from me to respond negatively to someone commenting on Lara's breasts. I could look at them all day if I didn't have a job to go to...

I was just digging at this very specific piece of knowledge, how it is the only moment that her breasts "bounce". How does one know this? Did someone monitor her mammalian protuberances for the full period of playing the game to document any shift that could be designated a "bounce"? What is the specific up-down shift required for a "bounce" to be recorded?

Dammit, Driber. Now it's all I can think about.

d1n0_xD
10th Mar 2015, 23:21
^ The important questions in life :p

Driber
10th Mar 2015, 23:34
Dammit, Driber. Now it's all I can think about.

:lol: