PDA

View Full Version : SCOUT The Stormbow seems better than the default bow(should be a sidegrade not an upgrade)

BanusBane
29th Jan 2015, 02:23
Okay so, I really think that the Stormbow is currently better than the default Compound bow and thus it is breaking the sidegrade system.

Compound Bow
Damage:175
Firerate:1.3
Clip:7
Ammo:42
Reload:1.75
Draw Damage:475
Draw Time : 2

Storm Bow
Damage:110+80
Firerate:1.25
Clip:6
Ammo:36
Reload:1.75
Draw Damage:200+275
Draw Time : 2

By comparison:
The Stormbow has 15 more damage per shot, slightly slower attack speed and 1 less arrow in the "clip".
So let us say that the DPS probably ends up being rougly the same between the two, as one has higher attack speed and the other has higher damage.
But does it really matter for the Scout?Yes you can pull of some amazing DPS in close range if you hit your shots consistently, but due to the sniping role I believe that the raw damage per shot matters more than DPS.Especially when the attack speed decrease is so low.

Another thing that should be factored in is the potential of the Storm Bow for AOE damage, be it by "cooking" your shots to the ground or by using it versus vampires that are on close proximity with each other.

So really then the Compound bow just has 1 more round in the clip to compensate but is it good balance?

What do you guys think?

Razaiim
29th Jan 2015, 02:38
Some points about the Stormbow:

The stormbow I think has heavier damage fall off. I've seen it hit for only 125+275. I've never seen any other bow lose 75 damage at extreme ranges. The delay leaves time for Tyrants to use ignore pain (greatly reducing damage) or the reaver's shadowstep, which negates explosion damage when timed right. It also generally means that many trades will go 1-1. You'll shoot the vampire for 80 damage, he kills you, then explodes for 110, where as any other bow would have just killed him.

The stormbow is in a good spot I feel, and any tweaking would indeed be to the fall off, though I'm not 100% sold on the +1 clip size buff with no other drawbacks

HoopleDoople
29th Jan 2015, 03:17
I hate facing the Stormbow as Deceiver - the explosive sticking to the Deceiver makes his presence blatantly obvious even though he may be invisible or shrouded. As Scout I haven't found it to be quite as powerful as I expected it to be though. Surprisingly often the delayed damage is the difference between you or an ally living and dying.

I've personally found the most success as Scout using the Warbow when my team can provide something approaching support (if the team can't provide much support you're almost always better off simply choosing another class). It keeps Sentinels in check like none other and acts as a non-ability CC.

DesolatedMaggot
29th Jan 2015, 03:19
I think its well balanced. I like Stormbow for the additional options of AoE damage or corner shots, not the paltry 15 extra damage. However I prefer the Compound Bow in most situations.

You cannot ignore the Stormbow's delay before it deals the majority of a shot's damage. The delay can get you, or your teammates killed where another bow could've saved them. That is the true balance of the weapon, I think. You trade the ability to potentially deal splash damage, and ability to chip around corners for dealing self-damage at close range and potentially sacrificing the lives of your teammates.

Don't forget the damage delay means a vampire in 1v1 will live longer and thus hit you more. Sure you might kill them as well a moment after your own death but with another bow you probably would not have died at all.

Khalith
29th Jan 2015, 03:55
I feel the Storm Bow is actually the weakest of the Scout's bows right now in the current meta. It used to be the strongest of the scout's bows (when nearly all of it's damage was in the aoe explosion) but after the more even split between the two the bow is much more reasonable. I've seen the aoe effect be quite effective in a few situations and sticking a bomb to a reaver that pops evasion and blows up as he tries to run is never not hilarious.

But as others have mentioned, the delay on the damage will often be the difference between you or an ally living or dying and in TDM against skilled players denying even one kill can mean a difference between a win and a loss. That and a Tyrant or Reaver can Ignore Pain/Shadowstep and negate the explosion entirely. Here are some examples of negating a storm bow with shadowstep, this was before the slight nerf to the cast time, but you can still do the same thing now.

As you can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmRPV0k6wk&t=7m4s

and here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmRPV0k6wk&t=7m49s

and here again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmRPV0k6wk&t=8m10s

--Ram--
29th Jan 2015, 04:18
You cannot ignore the Stormbow's delay before it deals the majority of a shot's damage. The delay can get you, or your teammates killed where another bow could've saved them. That is the true balance of the weapon, I think. You trade the ability to potentially deal splash damage, and ability to chip around corners for dealing self-damage at close range and potentially sacrificing the lives of your teammates.

Don't forget the damage delay means a vampire in 1v1 will live longer and thus hit you more. Sure you might kill them as well a moment after your own death but with another bow you probably would not have died at all.

This. Statistically the bow is good. In practice is awful due to the delay. It tends to only shine when vamps crowd around a team member while you riddle them with shots. The guy that tends to get crowded around is the annoying stormbow scout. Hence that doesn't come up a lot.

As others have said shadowstepping the explosion of a charged shot is not overly difficult and another weakness of the bow.

The main strength of the bow to me is that watching vamps explode into giblets is somewhat fun. I would never use this bow other than for messing around, compound is better.

Khalith
29th Jan 2015, 04:35
The main strength of the bow to me is that watching vamps explode into giblets is somewhat fun. I would never use this bow other than for messing around, compound is better.

I've actually started using the swift bow a lot more and I have to say it's my favorite by far. Especially when I'm able to shoot freely, I can just keep drawing and shooting over and over again faster than the compound or the war bow.

GenFeelGood
29th Jan 2015, 04:51
I started leveling mysterious storm bow and actually (despite hating the change to 1/2 &1/2) still get the fun factor of tagging someone and watching them go "OH SH% T" just before going boom.

--Ram--
29th Jan 2015, 05:38
I've actually started using the swift bow a lot more and I have to say it's my favorite by far. Especially when I'm able to shoot freely, I can just keep drawing and shooting over and over again faster than the compound or the war bow.

I used to always swift too, to me it ties with compound depending on the situation. Both very good.

Razaiim
29th Jan 2015, 08:05
hehe I shot a reaver in the butt with a stormbow once. Worst prostate exam ever.