PDA

View Full Version : New Name for the Shield Bearer

GenFeelGood
26th Jan 2015, 18:38
After reading up on the lore of our new human (and what a story it is, I highly recommend reading it), I still think the name of the new human (Shield Bearer) could be better; and Corey said they would be open to considering alternatives. I suggest we use this thread to submit the names we would like to be considered, then the developers pick the ones they like for it (if any catch their eye); and if they like more than one we can hold an open community poll here on the forum to decide the final name by popular vote.

I'll start with my suggestions.

Butcher
Undertaker

Lord_Aevum
26th Jan 2015, 18:50
Whatever it is, just make sure it's not in use (http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Enemies)! ;)

FireWorks_
26th Jan 2015, 18:54
I want the shield bear. Together with the bear skin Corey mentioned, something along the line of celtic shamans :D

We are not alone!

GenFeelGood
26th Jan 2015, 19:12
Surely Butcher is generic enough that it can be used in more than one instance? I didn't see Undertaker on the list.:D

PencileyePirate
26th Jan 2015, 19:29
I think the blog term "Drowned Men" fits them pretty well, but prefer Shieldbearer to the other suggestions.

Vampmaster
26th Jan 2015, 19:45
Well, all classes have had two names anyway; their descriptive name and lore name. The Hunter for example is the short, easy to understand thing for newcomers wanting to know what his role is and the Ironguard for those who are interested in his lore origins. Drowning Men is their lore name, which makes sense as it is and it's the descriptive name that needs work for speed when talking in chat.

Celeress
26th Jan 2015, 20:13
I think it should be changed to Vanguard.

The Shield Bearer would already be the frontline human, and the term Vanguard means the "frontline" of a military formation. I think this would be a more appropriate name especially in a gameplay sense. Lore wise, not really too sure how it would fit in but I already checked the link Aevum posted and Vanguard is not in use.

Razaiim
26th Jan 2015, 20:43
Phalanx? For the massive shield

Sluagh
26th Jan 2015, 21:04
Buttress? Palisade?

Razaiim
26th Jan 2015, 21:35
Tower Knight? Juggernaut? Terry Crews?

Cristari
26th Jan 2015, 21:54
I think the blog term "Drowned Men" fits them pretty well,

I agree this could be shortened to "The Drowned"

GenFeelGood
26th Jan 2015, 21:56
Drowned Men is the name of their Faction, like the Seers or the Red Sisters. It's the class name we are looking at.

Gugulug5000
27th Jan 2015, 00:17
So after reading the lore, I thought I'd give my feedback on a possible new name. Some of these are just ideas (and even I'm not a fan of some of them), but I thought I'd share them anyway to get the creative ball rolling.

Given their nature of the working with dead people and 'ferrying' the dead to their final destination something along those lines could be used. Genfeelgood already suggested Butcher, and I would also like to mention Reaper as another possibility. One of my friends suggested something related to Charon in Greek mythology as a good possibility as well.

Seeing that most of them come from questionable backgrounds, perhaps something like Outcasts or Untouchables could be used. They may even be able to call them The Prodigal Sons of Meridian, or just Prodigals for short. Of course, they could be called the Reborn, if they are casting away their old lives and taking on new ones when they join the Drowning Men.

Their use of the shield has already been addressed by a bunch of people (Phalanx, Vanguard, etc), so I won't dwell on this point, but I would just like to throw Guardian in the mix (it's simple, and describes them well enough).

I'll come back and add more if I come up with any.

GenFeelGood
27th Jan 2015, 02:30
Another name I'd like to suggest is Warden.

Gugulug5000
27th Jan 2015, 05:31
Thought I'd come back and add another idea: since they were mostly former criminals, why not use a name referring to criminals? Such as, Ruffian, Thug, Vandal, Bruiser, etc (I just googled thug synonym and got a list of similar names). Of course we could always just use Heavy to refer to them (even Heavy sounds better to me than Shield Bearer honestly).

GizmoJebus
27th Jan 2015, 05:54
Why not just name him "Bearer", could make is simple yet deep.

--Ram--
27th Jan 2015, 06:55
I agree the name could be better, I think it needs to be a one word name. Not sure if it fits with lore etc (which I don't personally care about) but I quite like vanguard.

Additional suggestions I can think of are guardian, defender.

GenFeelGood
27th Jan 2015, 17:14
I'm not sure about Vanguard. That title is for the front line charger of an assault; and the humans are on the defensive 99% of the time, even the devs described this guy as meant to be a team defender.

calypso-694
27th Jan 2015, 19:51
although the name is a bit challenging to say or hear correctly Shield Bear...er. it works. think of it from a battle perspective, "damn kill the prophet!!" or "they got 2 shield bearers" or "shields"

short names for quick action.

if the name gets changed why not shorten it to just "Sheild" ? it has their weapon and more than likely the role they play in battle.

idk

Wolf_the_Legend
27th Jan 2015, 23:03
good ones:

- Vanguard

- Bruiser

- Guardien

- Juggernaut

- Butcher

- Guard

don´t call him "Shield Bearer" thx

GenFeelGood
28th Jan 2015, 03:15
Another suggestion: Slayer

DaumPotAVI
28th Jan 2015, 07:52
My motherlanguage is not english
anyway~

how about "guard"

hunter, alchemist, scout, prophet, guard

all class uses just one word

GenFeelGood
28th Jan 2015, 20:08
Sentry, Berserker, Pagan, Centurion, Paladin

Bazielim
28th Jan 2015, 21:55
I'm with Aevum on this, I don't really mind what the name is, but I'd prefer they weren't already used in the series -also y'know it becomes a massive pain to disambiguate these things;). So there are good suggestions here, but things like "guardian", "guard", "juggernaut" and "butcher" would be pretty much off limits for me.... and "slayer" is mentioned as one of the ghouls in the summoner blog, so that's probably off the list for me too. Perhaps the one that comes closest to what I'd actually say in game would probably be "shield".

TendrilSavant
29th Jan 2015, 01:03
So, I'm not to keen on Shield Bearer either; it feels a bit clumsy and lacks the personality that other class names have. But after looking at these suggestions and looking some up myself I don't really see a very suitable replacement.

Some of these suggestions have strong "good guy" connotation. Which isn't really fitting for the Nosgoth universe. I'm sure that there were various names thrown around during development; so maybe the devs can give us a list of the some alternatives and the forum could vote on which is best?

And for the sake of input, my suggestion:

Revenant "a person who has returned, especially supposedly from the dead." This fits thematically with the lore on the blog, and has a hint of dread that should strike fear in the hearts of your enemies.

And as far as not using previous used naming conventions, that's rather silly. Especially if it's a generic name or term.

GenFeelGood
29th Jan 2015, 02:31
You know after looking at the skins again, what about Ravager?

Celeress
29th Jan 2015, 05:19
Some more names I'd like to just throw out there:

- Blighter
"a person who is regarded with contempt, irritation, or pity."

- Gutter
"the state or abode of those who live in degradation, squalor, etc."

- Marauder (Probably not)
"a person who marauds; a raider."

- Vandal (Probably not)
"a person who deliberately destroys or damages public or private property."

- Buster
"a person who breaks up something"

- Derelict
"left or deserted, as by the owner or guardian; abandoned"

- Forsaken
"abandoned or deserted."

- Pariah
"An outcast."

Chulo86
29th Jan 2015, 06:55
Seeing that most of them come from questionable backgrounds, perhaps something like Outcasts or Untouchables could be used. They may even be able to call them The Prodigal Sons of Meridian, or just Prodigals for short. Of course, they could be called the Reborn, if they are casting away their old lives and taking on new ones when they join the Drowning Men.

yah after reading the lore I too agree.

OUTCAST and UNTOUCHABLES seam to fit.

Some more names I'd like to just throw out there:

- Forsaken
"abandoned or deserted."

^^ this is also a good choice.

Vampmaster
29th Jan 2015, 13:54
yah after reading the lore I too agree.

OUTCAST and UNTOUCHABLES seam to fit.

^^ this is also a good choice.

Nuh-Uh:
http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Forsaken

Sanguise23
29th Jan 2015, 13:59
- Pariah
"An outcast"
I like this one

Vampmaster
29th Jan 2015, 14:07
Apparently sheildsman is a real word. That one's nice and simple.

Bazielim
29th Jan 2015, 14:14
And for the sake of input, my suggestion:

Revenant "a person who has returned, especially supposedly from the dead." This fits thematically with the lore on the blog, and has a hint of dread that should strike fear in the hearts of your enemies.

And as far as not using previous used naming conventions, that's rather silly. Especially if it's a generic name or term.
While I can appreciate your point about some of the more generic titles, the thing is Nosgoth is still a part of the overarching LOK mythology and some of those titles do mean very specific things within that mythology and it would become very difficult to distinguish what people are talking about. Inevitably something like "how to beat juggernauts?" would come up in social spaces and then you're unsure which class they're talking about and even which game they're playing. To keep using the same terms again and again would demonstrate a bit of a lack of imagination IMHO... and as I alluded to before, it's an absolute pain to document - there have already been headaches over naming before where I've had to change titles for articles, add "(Nogoth)" to my page titles, fix all the broken links caused by changing titles and then add notes explaining that even though its called the same thing it's very different and redirecting to a different page. Then people start asking why the definition changed so drastically. In my book, best to avoid the whole mess in the first place.

"Revenants" is unfotunately kind of a case in point of the sort of thing I'd be trying to avoid - even more so than the previous titles. The reason being that Revenants already exist in Lok mythology and are very well defined, being long dead corpses reanimated by Hylden possession. If we suddenly start calling the shield bearers this then it begs justification as to why the word underwent such a drastic alteration in meaning - and i have to go off and work around changing about 100 links, which obviously I'd prefer not to have to do. Something different and instantly recognisable would work better for me.

RainaAudron
29th Jan 2015, 14:37
What Baz said. Being part of LOK brings all its mythology with it and you can´t just name things the same name while they were used to describe something completely else before. I still do not like how the Dumahim have been called the Reavers, as it creates confusion whether you mean the wraithblade or Dumah´s progeny when in singular.

Doowie
29th Jan 2015, 14:43
I think we should call the Shield Bearer...... Tin Can Hat Man!

--Ram--
29th Jan 2015, 14:51
I think we should call the Shield Bearer...... Tin Can Hat Man!

Nice, nice. Or how about - The Rock

http://img2.eliteguias.com/img/juegos/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition/havel_2.jpg

(Sorry but I can't keep up with the lore heavy threads so you get this)

Doowie
29th Jan 2015, 14:55
Nah, The Rock just isn't as awesome as the fearsome Mr Tin Can Hat Man!

The_Hylden
29th Jan 2015, 14:59
Nothing silly about wanting names already used to be unique to what they were labeled as. Butcher, however, is just a profession and generic description, so that I don't think would be an issue.

However, not many of these names, including that, describe what it is that these guys are and do. The escaped prisoner part, perhaps, but not what they are about. They defend the troops with large shields. They also look like, respectfully per skin, ancient Mongolian or Gladiator warriors (not sure why that is).

To further be in-keeping with that and what they actual do, protect in formation with shields, giving them the title of the Phalanx seems most appropriate. In Ancient Greece, it's a tactic of formation with shields, of course, and it's still used by military and police today. Not that these ex-cons look like they are all about formation and such, but eh... It's better than just "shield bearer."

GenFeelGood
29th Jan 2015, 15:45
I can appreciate the argument for less common names to be excluded to avoid confusion between what they were used for the 1st time in the series and what they might be used for now; but I think some of them are common place enough to not be excluded under that criteria. Something like Guardian I can agree needs to be excluded because whenever someone talks about them you'd have to wonder if they are talking about the Circle Guardians or this class. Other names suggested aren't as unique in the series. The title of Guard exists in more than one instance on that list provided, does that mean one of them needs to be changed to avoid confusion? The argument is sound but the parameters are a bit too broad.

"Sorry General, you can't call the guys that follow you soldiers because the enemy general called his guys that first and we don't wanna get confused over who we are gonna fight if we all go by the same title. Also, you can't call yourself a General because he called that title first and we don't want to get confused over whose orders to follow."

Lord_Aevum
29th Jan 2015, 16:04
"Sorry General, you can't call the guys that follow you soldiers because the enemy general called his guys that first and we don't wanna get confused over who we are gonna fight if we all go by the same title. Also, you can't call yourself a General because he called that title first and we don't want to get confused over whose orders to follow."

This is fair, but it's still always ideal to avoid redundancy and go for the more cerebral, obscure words within reason when you're putting together a world bestiary, in my imagining. Who knows, players might even learn something of real world history from the more flavoursome terms out there. RTS and TBS games taught me a lot back in the day. :)

--Ram--
29th Jan 2015, 16:09
Something like Guardian I can agree needs to be excluded because whenever someone talks about them you'd have to wonder if they are talking about the Circle Guardians or this class.

I know you lore guys will have your reasons for avoiding this, but from a non lore guy perspective, is this type of exclusion really necessary here? We are talking about naming a Nosgoth class are we not? There will clearly be no confusion in the context of playing this game.

Lord_Aevum
29th Jan 2015, 16:24
I know you lore guys will have your reasons for avoiding this, but from a non lore guy perspective, is this type of exclusion really necessary here? We are talking about naming a Nosgoth class are we not? There will clearly be no confusion in the context of playing this game.

It's not a question of being lore guys or non lore guys; it's just about looking after the Legacy of Kain IP as a holistic whole, because the fiction deserves to be considered. :) If there are equally valid alternatives to a name that's already in use, it harms nobody at all to account for what's gone before and lean towards the more novel options.

--Ram--
29th Jan 2015, 17:06
It's not a question of being lore guys or non lore guys; it's just about looking after the Legacy of Kain IP as a holistic whole, because the fiction deserves to be considered. :) If there are equally valid alternatives to a name that's already in use, it harms nobody at all to account for what's gone before and lean towards the more novel options.

That's true. I'd like to think that a better name can be agreed upon that suits everyone, and can't see why that shouldn't be possible. Hopefully we can avoid that being an issue altogether by successful brainstorming.

My feeling is only that I'd be personally disappointed to be stuck with the uninspiring name shield bearer purely because otherwise valid names are ruled out due to some weak or partial overlap with lore. If it is clearly conflicting or ambiguous then I'd be happy to just not consider it as an option.

GenFeelGood
29th Jan 2015, 17:17
I wonder if this is similar to the debate that Corey mentioned when they came up with Shield Bearer? If it is then I am starting to understand how that name came to be.

The name for the class needs to outline either their function in the field (hunter, alchemist, scout) or vaguely hint at their ideology (prophet). This faction is formed by prison inmates and prison guards, united in a single night of unrelenting combat with the vampires that forged them into a brotherhood that is just looking to thrive for their own sakes (not some vague desire for redemption or sense of duty). Their ranks are replenished by the unsavory and the criminal element that want to preserve their lifestyle without having to submit to authority, along with those who are broken (either through unspeakable horrors they have witnessed or endured, or through their own personal shortcomings) that wish to contribute without being looked down on by those committed to the cause.

I'd avoid names that sum up their faction, because once all factions and clans are in the game the next step is to expand them with new classes from those factions. So again, I think it is better to use something that defines their function while also hinting at their nature and ideology if possible.

Edit
Looking at how a lot of the names suggested center on his ability to defend (and with their prison background) I say WARDEN.

--Ram--
29th Jan 2015, 17:28
I'd avoid names that sum up their faction, because once all factions and clans are in the game the next step is to expand them with new classes from those factions. So again, it is better to use something that defines their function while also hinting at their nature and ideology if possible.

Sounds very reasonable. Cheers for the summary as well. I admit after a weak attempt to read the background I skipped over the walls of text in the blog containing the skins and just looked at the pics :)

-Konf-
29th Jan 2015, 17:35
At first my reaction was similar to some people that are saying how they don't feel that Shieldbearer is simple yet catchy as other class names, but after going through the list of suggestions it feels like it's becoming increasingly difficult to pick the name that would actually do the job well. If the title keeps the original style, I wouldn't mind see it becoming "Shieldsman" as someone suggested. Pretty much the same thing, but easier to pronounce. Would be interesting to know how Psyonix picked the name after a heated discussion they had.

While all the suggestions have been great, after reading the lore post I personally really don't feel like this guy should be described by any military related words (Phalanx, Vanguard, Centurion) or any noble-sounding ones (Defender, Protector).

However, to me personally the suggestions that come from the "outcast" line of thought appealed the most. It just strikes the chord with the lore and personality while also sounding really cool and catchy. So far my the favourite suggestions are:
- Outcast;
- Pariah;
- Reborn (love the sound of it, however while it relates to the origins of the faction it lacks a bit in describing the class);
- Bruiser (nice and simple, think it goes quite well with the shield theme and melee thing that our guy got going on).
- Warden.

And as an input to the discussion - how about Unbroken? Enforcer (taking across from another thread)?

VredRogue
29th Jan 2015, 17:37
Aegis

--Ram--
29th Jan 2015, 18:03
I vote reborn for the lols when uNborn plays it. In seriousness though not sure on this one.
I agree the phalanx and guardian lines of thought may not quite fit the bill.

I like the sound of warden and agree it fits quite well. Similar to sentry but sounds cooler. Bruiser sounds good too but to me that suggests a more brutish punch your face in with his bare hands type guy.

Scoundrel? not very defendy though

TendrilSavant
30th Jan 2015, 05:25
While I can appreciate your point about some of the more generic titles, the thing is Nosgoth is still a part of the overarching LOK mythology and some of those titles do mean very specific things within that mythology and it would become very difficult to distinguish what people are talking about. Inevitably something like "how to beat juggernauts?" would come up in social spaces and then you're unsure which class they're talking about and even which game they're playing.
I think your giving people too little credit here actually.

Anyway, I won't try to convince anyone to go for Revenant but I do have another suggestion:

Apostate "a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle."

From the blog:"When the regimental discipline of the Iron Guard and the self-discipline of the Watchers offered no appeal or welcome, the Drowning Men drew in the lost and the damaged and the wicked and gave them a new home."

--Ram--
30th Jan 2015, 06:26
I think your giving people too little credit here actually.

Anyway, I won't try to convince anyone to go for Revenant but I do have another suggestion:

Apostate "a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle."

From the blog:"When the regimental discipline of the Iron Guard and the self-discipline of the Watchers offered no appeal or welcome, the Drowning Men drew in the lost and the damaged and the wicked and gave them a new home."

It may make sense but I think that would be lost on most people who play the class. I think we need something that strongly reflects the visual appearance and fits the background. This guy looks like a somewhat brutish hardened warrior.

http://imgur.com/fiFTFbW

GenFeelGood
30th Jan 2015, 07:15
Now that I look back at previous posts, how about Gladiator (like Hylden mentioned with regard to their appearance)? Their look does fit the name; and there are a lot of parallels between them. Both of them fight in exchange for freedom and both of their ranks are filled with prisoners, slaves, and undesirables. My only concern is with regard to it fitting the faction too well as a whole, making it harder to think of other names for future classes that emerge from this faction.

--Ram--
30th Jan 2015, 09:12
Now that I look back at previous posts, how about Gladiator (like Hylden mentioned with regard to their appearance)? Their look does fit the name; and there are a lot of parallels between them. Both of them fight in exchange for freedom and both of their ranks are filled with prisoners, slaves, and undesirables. My only concern is with regard to it fitting the faction too well as a whole, making it harder to think of other names for future classes that emerge from this faction.

This is good. Like it.

--Ram--
30th Jan 2015, 09:31
It is getting slightly hard to look back over everything that has come up so I've done a bit of a summary of most suggestions (I tossed a few out) and attempted to categorize them as best I could. Some may fit into several categories but hopefully this helps order things a bit. Let me know if I missed any that need to be in.

Bland and Appropriate names:
Shield Bearer!
Shieldsman

Military
Vanguard
Centurion
Phalanx

Criminal/Lowlife
Ruffian
Thug
Vandal
Scoundrel

Dark Sounding
Undertaker
Revenant
Reaper
Butcher

Defensive
Guard
Sentry
Guardian
Warden

Noble
Tower Knight
Paladin
Aegis

Outcast
Pagan
Outcast
Pariah
Apostate
Forsaken
Reborn

Warrior
Juggernaut
Ravager
Berserker
Bruiser
Slayer
Marauder
Gladiator

The more I think about this and look at the concept art the more I think that the name would best come from the Warrior type category, as the images of this guy really are quite powerful and brutal looking. I think that if we find something along this line of thought that fits the lore well we might have a winner?

To contradict myself I am now questioning the warrior type name as it doesn't really illustrate the defensive/protector role very well. How about .... Shield Bearer :mad2:

Need a word that combines Warrior/Tough guy + Guardian/Shield guy + Outcast.....

SirRudyMan
30th Jan 2015, 09:50
I prefer:

Vanguard
Guard
Guardian
Paladin (though he needs full armor with this name)

Why not make a poll? :naughty:

Drebin162
30th Jan 2015, 12:47
The problem with naming them something like Phalanx or Paladin or the like is that those are very specific classes or roles, where as the Shieldbearer is currently just named for having a shield, which is like calling the Scout Bowman.

Like the Prophet or the Hunter, we want something that has more lore connotations and leaves open the idea of what the class could do. the problem with naming him Phalanx or Vanguard or another military title is actually in the lore where it says the Shieldbearers are a group specifically made of outcasts and vagrants who want to fight, but lack or don't want the Discipline for the Iron Guard hunters, or the isolated lifestyle of the Scouts.

These guys are a Militia more than anything, and the name should reflect either their prison origins or their disorganised style. Bruiser is good but just 'outcast' dosen't really give an idea of what the class can do. Warden and Guardian do this job, but also a title like Commissar (a little out of context) could work

LegacyOfKayn
30th Jan 2015, 13:58
Personally i like:
Vanguard
Thug
Berserker
Gladiator

How about a topic with a vote where u add maybe like 10 names and the one with the most votes wins?

GenFeelGood
30th Jan 2015, 14:33
Why not make a poll? :naughty:

We need to weed out some of the suggestions first, there is only so many we can put into a single poll; but before that it would be good if the developers let us know which ones they think could work, since the decision to change the name is theirs to make.

Edit
Also, it hasn't even been a week since the thread was started. We need to give it more time so those who haven't been on the forum yet can see the thread and contribute their suggestion. We don't wanna make a poll only to get hit with even more suggestions.

GenFeelGood
30th Jan 2015, 21:56
Need a word that combines Warrior/Tough guy + Guardian/Shield guy + Outcast.....

At this point the only word coming to mind that kinda fits that formula and hasn't been mentioned already is Japanese in origin, Ronin. Who knows, there is a lot of Asian design in some of the skins and those tattoos scream Yakuza. The lore said that most of their incoming recruits came by ship, who knows how far away some of those ports they originally disembarked from actually are.

Gugulug5000
31st Jan 2015, 01:41
My favorites so far:
Guardian
Outcast
Juggernaut
Ravager
Bruiser
Slayer

I'm seeing a few others that are favorites that I don't really care for so I'll point them out and explain why I don't like them:

Vanguard: I don't like this one because a Vanguard isn't a person. It's a position on a battlefield, more accurately the advancing (usually offensive) front group of people. A person can be in the vanguard, but they can't be a vanguard.

Phalanx: Similar to Vanguard, a person can be in a phalanx, but not be a phalanx. A phalanx is a formation of men, typically with shields and spears, that functions as a single military unit.

Paladin: Refers to holy warriors, these guys aren't holy. I have similar feelings regarding the Knight suggestions that have been thrown around (Knights are generally honorable, these guys are not).

Berserker: Nothing indicates that these guys go berserk.

Gladiator: Though some of the alternate skins may look like gladiators, these guys do not fight in arenas for people's entertainment.

And that's my two cents. I would also like to add some more suggestions, these ones playing on the physical size of these guys:
Colossus (my favorite of these three suggestions)
Behemoth
Titan

Ygdrasel
31st Jan 2015, 02:00
I like Undertaker. Hints at their work with the dead and sounds vaguely outlaw-ish (even if it isn't). Ronin's good too.

Vanguard and Gladiator are wholly inaccurate while Berserker is just random given no signs that they go 'berserk' in any way.

Thugs were those club-wielding alley scum in Blood Omen 2. While these guys are likely composed of such unsavory sorts, just reusing that is as lame as just sticking with "Shield Bearer"...No offense. :p

GenFeelGood
31st Jan 2015, 05:13
How about Rogue?

Even though it usually makes us think cloak and dagger, it has never been exclusive to that style of combatant; and it describes how they are perceived.

--used to describe something or someone that is different from others in usually a dangerous or harmful way

Also for consideration, Blackguard.
--A person,particularly a man, who behaves in a dishonorable or contemptible way.

Sikhead
31st Jan 2015, 13:09
Keep the name or :

Guardsman or Guard
Defender or Defenseman
Shieldman
Bossman :lmao:
Watchman
Protector

RainaAudron
31st Jan 2015, 13:33
With all the names suggested, do not forget to double check whether it´s in use: http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Legacy_of_Kain_Wiki

Khalith
31st Jan 2015, 13:37
Shieldbearer would work if that were the actual name of the organization they were a part of. Hell that could work for the human classes in general, Hunter becomes Ironguard, Alchemist becomes Red Sister, Scout becomes Watcher, and Prophet becomes Seer. :p

CountEyokir
31st Jan 2015, 14:55
Convict
Boatmen
Ferrymen
Axeman
Keeper
Warder
Thug

GenFeelGood
31st Jan 2015, 18:06
Of those mentioned, the ten I'd choose from to be in a poll are as follows (no particular order).

Shield Bearer
Shieldsman
Warden
Guard (or Blackguard)
Axeman
Undertaker
Ronin
Rogue
Defender
Shield (or Ward)

EDIT
The more I look at it, Axeman sounds like the best fit. Sure the shield is the first thing that catches your eye when you look at him, but the weapon he primarily uses is the axe. The shield's offensive capabilities are restricted to abilities.

Chulo86
1st Feb 2015, 09:28
Bland and Appropriate names:
Shield Bearer!
Shieldsman

Dark Sounding
Undertaker
Revenant
Reaper
Butcher

Outcast
Pagan
Outcast
Pariah
Apostate
Forsaken
Reborn

I highly doubt they're going to change it but whatever......

Shieldsman.
Undertaker.
Outcast.
Forsaken. (even though listed as unofficial concept art.)

^^well.... this is what I picked up based on the lore.

GenFeelGood
1st Feb 2015, 15:04
I highly doubt they're going to change it but whatever......

Shieldsman.
Undertaker.
Outcast.
Forsaken. (even though listed as unofficial concept art.)

^^well.... this is what I picked up based on the lore.

That is a possibility, but if so then at least we attempted.

We will probably need to move into polls sooner than I thought since this is the month it is to be released.

The_Dapper_Sapper
1st Feb 2015, 16:39
Personally, I think "Blackguard" fits the class quite nicely. An unscrupulous and contemptible person. And it also seems to subliminally suggest what the class is all about: Black Guard. Guard that is black at heart. Or something.

GenFeelGood
2nd Feb 2015, 01:04
After updating the list that Ram was nice enough to collect and categorize, with newer entries, I think that we have thought up as many names as we can by now. Now comes the difficult part of going through the list and removing those that don't quite fit as well as others. This is based purely on personal perspective and opinion, a number of my own suggestions don't make the cut; and I will includes some indications as to my thought process.

Red:No
Blue: Yes

Bland and Appropriate
Shield Bearer!
Shieldsman
Boatmen
Ferrymen (It doesn't fit their function in the game and doesn't really fit their background)

Military
Vanguard
Centurion
Phalanx (Their faction doesn't fit that of a militarized army, closer to a band of brother)

Criminal/Lowlife
Bossman
Ruffian
Thug
Vandal
Scoundrel (This is more representative of their past, not who they are now)

Dark Sounding
Undertaker
Revenant
Reaper (Too close to Reaver, there is enough alternatives to avoid that potential mishap)
Butcher
Warder
Rogue
Blackguard
Ronin

Defensive
Keeper
Guard(Keeper sounds like a good fit; but I'd recommend Blackguard over Guard, it fits their persona better)
Watchman
Sentry
Guardian
Warden
Protector

Noble
Tower Knight
Paladin
Aegis(too clean, given their background)

Outcast
Pagan
Outcast
Pariah
Apostate
Forsaken
Reborn(same reason as the criminal/lowlife, it is who they were and not who they are)

Warrior
Juggernaut
Ravager (For Juggernaut, remember when Corey referred to Tyrant vs the New guy, the new guy is the immovable object)
Berserker
Bruiser
Slayer
Marauder
Gladiator(Slayer is used for the Melchahim Ghoul; and Maurader, Bruiser, Gladiator are closer to what they were)
Axeman

--Ram--
2nd Feb 2015, 13:19
Just noticed that the Shield Bearer is now listed in game as a "coming soon" alongside the Summoner and Crucible. To me this seems to be an indication that changes are now unlikely? Any devs want to comment on that?

Honestly after all this I'm happier with that name than I was initially. Just wondering if this thread is wasted energy at this point or is it still worth continuing with?

GenFeelGood
2nd Feb 2015, 21:01
Just noticed that the Shield Bearer is now listed in game as a "coming soon" alongside the Summoner and Crucible. To me this seems to be an indication that changes are now unlikely? Any devs want to comment on that?

Honestly after all this I'm happier with that name than I was initially. Just wondering if this thread is wasted energy at this point or is it still worth continuing with?

I am hoping this is not the case, there were some great alternatives here; but I do agree that this debate has made Shield Bearer more acceptable to me than it was before.

Sanerack
3rd Feb 2015, 20:15
Bulwarks, Bastion?

Saikocat
4th Feb 2015, 13:22
Hey all,

The name is a tricky one here. We have to ensure it fits with the class' play style, that it fits within the lore, but also that it's (ideally) instantly relate-able, like all the current class names. We have gone through discussing varying names and, as has happened in this thread, a lot of them didn't sit right.

I'm cool with everyone discussing the name and chatting through options, but I don't want to give the impression that a vote would be the ultimate decider on the name of the class, as there are a lot of considerations on what the name needs to be, to be a good fit.

Ygdrasel
4th Feb 2015, 18:17
Has "hoplite" been suggested yet? Greece doesn't exactly exist in Nosgoth but they were often militia-type forces compiled from whatever people came to join up, and they carried some pretty big shields.

http://i.imgur.com/BDabVsT.jpg?1

GenFeelGood
5th Feb 2015, 18:16
Renegades

Ygdrasel
5th Feb 2015, 20:37
Renegades

Inappropriate. Renegades are deserters and traitors. You'd never recruit renegades into an army.

GenFeelGood
5th Feb 2015, 20:40
Inappropriate. Renegades are deserters and traitors. You'd never recruit renegades into an army.

According to the lore their ranks are replenished with deserters and traitors.

Edit
What about Gangster?

Ygdrasel
5th Feb 2015, 20:58
According to the lore their ranks are replenished with deserters and traitors.

Thugs and prisoners were the original Drowned Men. Then came

"Last survivors of decimated units; suddenly guilt-stricken former deserters and escapees from penal battalions; pirates and smugglers determined to protect their way of life; criminals looking to escape punishment for prior wrong-doings; initiates of militaristic mystery cults looking for new secrets; battle priests questioning their faith among the horrors of war; field medics who now heard the voices of all the dead when they tried to sleep at night…"

"Former deserters" are covered by 'renegade'. War survivors, cultists, battle priests, traumatized medics...Not so much. You could count "criminals", "pirates" and "penal escapees" as traitors of the law, I suppose. But that still casts an ill light on many who aren't traitors in any sense.

GenFeelGood
5th Feb 2015, 22:38
I'd suggest Bodyguard but Costner ruined that one with some help from Whitney Houston.

What about Goon? -a bully or thug, especially one hired to terrorize or do away with opposition

Sneepy
7th Feb 2015, 20:30
Let's change the name to Big Metal Square Carrying Man.

Or how about Pavisier? A pavisier being a person who carries a pavise -- a large shield.

SirRudyMan
8th Feb 2015, 10:28
Maybe make a poll now, just for fun, and before this thread becomes too old. Let's use the names that have been most mentioned in this thread and get it going! :naughty:

GenFeelGood
8th Feb 2015, 22:53
Maybe make a poll now, just for fun, and before this thread becomes too old. Let's use the names that have been most mentioned in this thread and get it going! :naughty:

It wouldn't really hold any weight, Saikocat has said here on the thread that the name wouldn't be decided by popular vote; but the powers that be are aware of the thread and until the new class' release there is always a chance they will see something that might be a better fit.

Gamblore101
9th Feb 2015, 12:02
I think Aegis Guard is quite cool. Aegis means shield and guard in a way means protector which is really what his character is a protector with a shield.

Namlen
9th Feb 2015, 18:55
i really like vanguard and phalanx. iconic, easy to say words that clearly describe his role. plus i love the word "phalanx" after seeing its usage in the ogre battle games. it just sounds so powerful!

GenFeelGood
11th Feb 2015, 04:54
One angle hasn't been mentioned yet. Being predominantly prisoners in the beginning, they might have named themselves after the those they feared most while incarcerated.

Executioner
Hangman
Headsman

Vampmaster
11th Feb 2015, 11:29
Has anyone suggested Barbarian yet?

Saikocat
11th Feb 2015, 11:35
Hey everyone,

Well, I have some interesting news! Following all the feedback we have indeed decided to rename the class. His new final name for release will be: Vanguard
http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=152038

--Ram--
11th Feb 2015, 14:04
:worship:

GenFeelGood
11th Feb 2015, 14:33
Thank you Cat and a thank you to all those involved in the change.

I look forward to charging my Vanguard into battle.

Chulo86
11th Feb 2015, 21:39
well what do you know..... they changed it :)

I see they even changed the default outfit to the one Corey likes :)

guess not everything official has a permanent stamp on it. ? :/
let me make my own thread then. :)

GenFeelGood
11th Feb 2015, 22:03
I see they even changed the default outfit to the one Corey likes :)

They did :scratch:, where is that at?

Chulo86
12th Feb 2015, 04:22
They did :scratch:, where is that at?

at the end of the class warfare video for the summoner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqd1psbPWpI

3:02

GenFeelGood
12th Feb 2015, 04:48
I think they may just be mixing it up to show off all the skins, because that is the Mark of the Survivor at the end of the video and in the game the coming soon demos the Ravager Helmet.