PDA

View Full Version : New player here, are there prohibited/overpowered weapons/skills in this game?

SashaWulph
26th Jan 2015, 07:34
I just finished a match were people were fighting each other for using "op" skills and weapons like Infect and Warbow. In the end they all leaved because "it wasn't fair"... now, is this common? The community already choosed what weapons/classes/skills are fair or not? Granted, the people involved were in "guilds" or "clans".

Please reassure me this isn't the case. I don't want that kind of toxic community in a game I enjoy. ):

PencileyePirate
26th Jan 2015, 07:55
Lots of the new players complain a lot until they learn that everything that seems OP has a counter. Gameplay is well balanced; there are slight imbalances here and there but the devs work hard to fix these issues, and they tend to be skills that are too weak (immolation) not ones that are too powerful.

SashaWulph
26th Jan 2015, 07:59
Ehh, those people were apparently veterans, and that's what worries me the most (main reason why I started this thread.) They even tried to teach me what skills/weapons are "allowed" to use, just before I leaved in disgust.

I should clarify that this was on normal 4vs4, not under lvl15.

Sasha_Vykos
26th Jan 2015, 08:00
I never heard about single weapon/ skill to be op in hundreds of hours. Some players will complain about general imbalances or bad teams.. but feel completely free to use the abilities you want to use, there are none of them generally considered op: you just have to know how to play against them.

KiloGz
26th Jan 2015, 08:07
PencileyePirate is right alot of new players complained about it but they joined only 2 matches. maybe the problem for you was its early in the morning and matching your self the system is matching you with higher levels since there were no new recruit playing that time. maybe that was the problem?

Razaiim
26th Jan 2015, 08:09
Many abilities are Stronger in different situations. Smoke bomb is good for outdoors and setting up an engagement while choking haze is good if humans are distracted or indoors. Volley is good for supporting allies or checking roofs but doesnt work under geometry like arches bridges or indoors like auto turret does, backstab is good if a human team is too spread for infect to nail them. Examples are to highlight that few abilities are inherently better than alternatives, so while you can use any skills you want and be effective, you should learn when to use what so you can maximize your contribution to the team. i.e. don't pick trap or auto turret against sentinels

leifstream
26th Jan 2015, 08:13
IMO the balance is pretty good. For every class/weapon there is a counter. What i find a bit bad are weapons, which are UP and nobody uses them (Piercing Pistols comes to mind).

Infect isn't OP, the deceiver needs to get out of invisibility = easy target. When the humans know the game a little bit, they aren't that close to each other

Warbow is a good bow, when you have a team, which supports you and the Vamps have Sentinels/Tyrants which Jump Attack. For 4 Reavers it has no good use.

Ysanoire
26th Jan 2015, 16:01
I just finished a match were people were fighting each other for using "op" skills and weapons like Infect and Warbow. In the end they all leaved because "it wasn't fair"... now, is this common? The community already choosed what weapons/classes/skills are fair or not? Granted, the people involved were in "guilds" or "clans".

Please reassure me this isn't the case. I don't want that kind of toxic community in a game I enjoy. ):

I'm afraid whining is common. I see people complaining about **** quite regularly. Either the stormbow is op ez win for noobs, or deceiver is gay or 4 hunters is "hunter spam" and somehow cowardly or I don't know what else.

However "the community" hasn't decided or agreed on anything. In any case ignore it.

Btw, the fact that it was in "adult" DM doesn't mean you came across veterans. Anyone can go there.

Khalith
26th Jan 2015, 16:08
Lots of the new players complain a lot until they learn that everything that seems OP has a counter. Gameplay is well balanced; there are slight imbalances here and there but the devs work hard to fix these issues, and they tend to be skills that are too weak (immolation) not ones that are too powerful.

Pretty much this. Abilities or weapons that were argued to be OP some time ago were adjusted accordingly to be more reasonable. A few examples: the storm bow used to have most of the damage on the explosion, so a full charged shot did 75 on the arrow and 400 on the aoe explosion. Combined with volley/turret their aoe they had incredibly high aoe potential that and it was nerfed so that the damage was split more evenly. Reaver kick used to have a fairly noticeable knockback. Prophet heavy pistols used to hit for 190 a shot with much lower fall off.

JanubeTaso
27th Jan 2015, 06:41
I'm shocked that I'm not seeing anything about Heavy Pistols being broken as hell in threads like this.

For Prophet being a support class in general, everyone on my team agreed when using or facing Heavy Pistols, the change to game dynamic was dramatic.

-Konf-
27th Jan 2015, 08:26
I'm shocked that I'm not seeing anything about Heavy Pistols being broken as hell in threads like this.

For Prophet being a support class in general, everyone on my team agreed when using or facing Heavy Pistols, the change to game dynamic was dramatic.
Heavy Pistols aren't broken. They put out around the same damage per second (DPS) and damage per clip (DPC) as any other human weapon and even lower then some. Hunter's Repeater, for instance, has higher potential DPS and DPC compared to Heavy Pistols, so should we conclude that Repeater is broken? Also, just for the reference, if you compare DPS and DPC figures between Heavy Pistols and Dual Pistols (default option) - you will find that the statistics are almost completely identical.

Since when is Prophet a support class? Just because they got an option to play with Eldritch Guard (not taking Sacrifice into the consideration) doesn't mean we should label them as such. Because all it is is just an option to play Prophet as a support. The class clearly wasn't designed to fit the support role, but luckily for us this game tries to offer some sort of skill diversity so that we can pick the play style for ourselves. I don't see why a class that isn't designed to be a support (but just has a loadout options to offer a level of team assistance) shouldn't be dealing any damage whatsoever.

If Heavy Pistols get their damage lowered by a substantial amount, there will be a dramatic change to the game dynamic like you said. And that dramatic change would be that you will never see anyone play Prophet.

--Ram--
27th Jan 2015, 08:55

Broken - nope, broken as hell - you are kidding yourself. Support class - nope. Prophets typically fill a similar role to a hunter, good cc, slightly more accurate at range, more sustain, less aoe. Hunters aren't support and prophets don't need to be.