PDA

View Full Version : Steam Account name?

-Sytar-
26th Jan 2015, 01:26
I setup my account here and after playing the first round I realized that the link to Steam meant using the image and NAME of my account. I wouldn't mind logging in using the Steam account, but when it shows everywhere in the game, I believe it is an issue.

Your actual Login name should NEVER be visible to other players. This is 50% of what you need to hack someones account, and I really feel that this is a huge Security issue. Please allow for a Account Name option that is what is visible.

Squigiligimous
26th Jan 2015, 03:51
Sounds like you're new to steam. Your steam display name can be changed at -any- time. That is to say your displayed name is not inherently your login username not to mention if you enable steam guard you have double layer security. Suffice to say keep calm and change your steam screen name if need be.

-Sytar-
26th Jan 2015, 04:29
I think you are missing the point. The games username should not be the same as Steam. The fact that it links for Steam is fine, and it seems to have a deep intigration with it, but when I am joining matches it should being using my Nosgoth account name, not my Steam one.

I shouldn't have to change my Steam account name just because I play this game, when I have friends and other people that I know in Steam that know that account name because I want them to know me in steam.

FireWorks_
26th Jan 2015, 09:02
You can change the profile name of your SE account and your name on steam. As often as you like.

If you want to go totally anonimous instead of having friends, set your steam acc to private and delete your friendslist. Oh and set it to "offline".

and no, your ingame name should not be your nosgoth name. People play dozens of games with their account with their friends they met in some of these games. It would be more confusing to have a fresh name on each game, in fact it is each time I have to set up a different one for an external client. Thanks steam for unifying it in most of the games available through you.

Saikocat
26th Jan 2015, 11:21
Games you play through Steam will display your Steam username, this is normal for Steam and how their platform works. You're launching the game via Steam, so this is how it would work on other games as well.
Note it is possible for instance to download the game on Steam and not set up a Nosgoth account on the site here.

Security wise (in general), Valve would recommend not using the same name for your Steam profile name, as your account name.