PDA

View Full Version : Don't throw me to the wolves yet!

Stevizard
25th Jan 2015, 21:29
Hi, I just discovered this game today. I downloaded and installed it as instructed. I ran through the brief tutorial but still feel unsure and awkward moving around in the game.

So, I'm very unsure of myself right now. I don't know the game. I am unfamiliar with my new skills. I had trouble catching the last monster during the tutorial. In short, I'm a bit intimidated. Still, I start up a new game and suddenly find myself getting ready to be placed in a room with 7 other players that I don't know. As I watch the screen I see one player after another leave the room (disconnect). They're feeling just like me ... scared and unsure about what is about to happen. So, I disconnected, too.

Why are you forcing me into a team fight on my very first battle? I don't get it. Let me play a while and become comfortable with the controls, layout, and the environment. There's one thing I can say for sure ... If you're going to stick me in the middle of a battle before I'm ready, then I'm NOT PLAYING.

You may have the greatest game on earth but I'll never know because you won't let me get my feet wet prior to throwing me to the wolves.

I'm in software IT as well and I play a lot of games. So, don't think I'm just weird (well, maybe I am but that shouldn't matter), because I don't want to jump into the water before I know how deep it is and what else is swimming in it.

I'm trying to give you non-biased feedback, so take it or not.

Stevizard

RainaAudron
25th Jan 2015, 21:32
Nosgoth is a multiplayer team oriented game and it is focused solely on PvP, so that´s what you are getting with this game - you have to play with others in order to get better. Best to bring friends to play with and group up. They might include a bot mode later, but it is not a priority at the moment.

Da_Wolv
25th Jan 2015, 21:51
Sooo... you want to play by yourself in a PvP game?!

Don't quite understand what your point is.

FireWorks_
25th Jan 2015, 21:59
I think we all can relate to your post when thinking back of our first online match ever.
Dare :) It is not that bad once face the challenge.

The new recruit mode is there for you and your concerns. To taste the water with other players that are new to the game or online gaming as a whole.

Play and dont give up after the first few losses. Stay on it and youll get better with time, thats for sure.

You can also repeat the tutorials as often as you want, if want to check back, but the best learning is done with other players on a similar level like you.

See you on the battlefield ;)

Cristari
25th Jan 2015, 22:49
You may have the greatest game on earth but I'll never know because you won't let me get my feet wet prior to throwing me to the wolves.

What do you want to do?

The tutorials are there you can play them over again if you wish or try and find some friends and run a private match. I have heard that bots may be worked on in the future but atm all you have is us. Although we do bite we are really a friendly bunch of people.

P.S.
All of us learned the game by playing it the tutorials are relatively new.

PencileyePirate
25th Jan 2015, 23:53
They're feeling just like me ... scared and unsure about what is about to happen. So, I disconnected, too.

Key sentence right here ... they're feeling just like you. After playing the tutorial you're going to be playing with other newbies in New Recruit for at least a few games. They won't be much more experienced than you. Do you think yourself a wolf already? If not then how does this thread make any sense?

because I don't want to jump into the water before I know how deep it is and what else is swimming in it.

Nosgoth is a PvP game so you're going to have to get your feet wet by playing other people. It shouldn't take much courage to just try it out; what do you have to lose?

GenFeelGood
26th Jan 2015, 00:01
You got new recruit, you got new recruit to level 15 now when it use to be to level 10.

When I started back in alpha there was no new recruit or tutorials, period; and I wasn't big on team deathmatch before then. As hard as it was at first, I wouldn't trade those days back for anything, not even for the chance to look into the future and see what this game will look like 4 years from now.

Those who started back in closed beta started with all us alpha testers able to get to them in new recruit because of the wipe; and don't get any of us started on matchmaker.

This is by far the best time to be starting new in this game. Your not gonna have it easy but your gonna be among many who are in the same boat. Oustside of tutorials and until PvE or bot training, the best thing you can do is knuckle down and face what is waiting in team PvP.

Razaiim
26th Jan 2015, 00:32
How old do we sound? Back in my day we didn't have tutorials and new recruit had a population of only you.

You got plenty of tools to learn at slow pace, and the game is pretty quick to learn. Stay in new recruits till cap and you should be golden.

GenFeelGood
26th Jan 2015, 01:01
How old do we sound? Back in my day we didn't have tutorials and new recruit had a population of only you.

That occurred to me as I was typing :). It's hard to believe that it has been over a year since this started, with the first of us in alpha; and it amazes me that so much has changed over that time.

-Konf-
26th Jan 2015, 05:50
The first time I saw Nosgoth on YouTube I knew this game was made for me. The feeling of intimidation and adrenaline when starting your first multi-player match is the best feeling for me, and instead of being afraid all I wanted to do is to get out there and go for it.

To me Nosgoth is not the game where you try the water and get your feet wet. You run off the pier and do a cannon-ball dive and once you're in the water - you start having fun. Hope you find the way to learn and enjoy the game. One suggestion that I have for you is to look up some good streams and videos. Watching a lot of those certainly helped me out while I was waiting to get access to closed beta back in the day.

Other than that, developers would love to create a mode where people practice against bots, but the amount of time and resources it will take away from current priorities means that it won't be around soon. If you don't want to wait around until game is finished and well-developer with all its features - I suggest just watching the game first if you want to get familiar with it, and then just going in and playing.

Eothir
27th Jan 2015, 01:04
Not sure why but i was wrecking people by my second match lol. Perhaps, i was made for nosgoth?

cmstache
27th Jan 2015, 12:20
That occurred to me as I was typing :). It's hard to believe that it has been over a year since this started, with the first of us in alpha; and it amazes me that so much has changed over that time.

I remember getting wrecked time and time again by talespin my first week playing. I was in the first round of invites, but it took me about 3 weeks to get to playing. I was just getting destroyed. :) Alas, I might be insensitive from time to time and tell people to suck it up (because that really is the only way to get better), but new recruits lobby was a great addition. Now, just gotta handle the smurfs. :/

GenFeelGood
27th Jan 2015, 17:21
Oh yes, I remember that. I just played pvp on console games before then and just played mmos and solo action adventures like Witcher on pc. I didn't even understand the importance of fps until I got here; and with my old rig, I also dreaded being against Talespin.

Razaiim
27th Jan 2015, 17:57
I remember getting wrecked time and time again by talespin my first week playing. I was in the first round of invites, but it took me about 3 weeks to get to playing. I was just getting destroyed. :) Alas, I might be insensitive from time to time and tell people to suck it up (because that really is the only way to get better), but new recruits lobby was a great addition. Now, just gotta handle the smurfs. :/

Man I'm glad i persevered through that Talespin EvilTwin Jest period because that sucked. Atleast they taught me how to counter scouts with grapple.

Ygdrasel
30th Jan 2015, 00:32
Still, I start up a new game and suddenly find myself getting ready to be placed in a room with 7 other players that I don't know.

Why are you forcing me into a team fight on my very first battle?

Let me play a while and become comfortable with the controls, layout, and the environment.

Point 1) You started up a game and suddenly found yourself...About to play the game? Gee. I wonder why...

Point 2) This game is played on teams. You are not being forced to play the game. But if you do play, well, it's a team based game.

Point 3) They DO let you play a while. That's what that game lobby with the other players in it was. You just apparently don't want to play. And you won't get comfortable with any of it if you don't play.

How on earth you discovered the game without gaining any clue of what the game is...I just don't know.