PDA

View Full Version : MISC. A Long List of Assorted Suggetions

TendrilSavant
21st Jan 2015, 06:09
Incoming Wall of Text.

I've suggested a lot over the past year, but my passion for the game has seriously waned as of late. Mainly due to having little balance changes recently. I understand that getting ready for Open Beta was a huge milestone, and that there's currently a lot of content being worked on (crafting, new map, new classes), but to me the most important thing is balancing core mechanics properly.

While the game is balanced at lower levels better than it's ever been, high level play is still an issue that I feel needs adjusting. I personally feel that the problem this game has in player retention is that middle ground where they are transitioning from fighting beginners to veteran players. These suggestions are partially to help lessen the skill gap at that range of players.

Provisional Damage
Provisional damage is a term from fighting games; in some fighting games when you take a hit, there's a certain percentage of that damage that can be regenerated. I feel that vampires could be improved if their regeneration worked similar.

So instead of vampires needing to wait to trigger regeneration, regeneration is always active but can only recover a certain amount Provisional damage. This could give vampires more flexibility in and out of combat.

It could also help distinguish weapons by having certain classes specialize on hitting provisional damage more that direct damage; which could also help with balancing concentrated human fire.

Bleed State
If a human is hit by 2-3 melee swings or hit by a fully charged melee swing he would enter a bleed state where he suffers a small DoT effect around 50-100. (At first this seems as a straight buff to charged melee, but I have a suggest a change to charged melee down below.)

Due to vampire damage having a delay/windup animation, dying with a human standing at 1-100 health is very common; and unless a teammate is near by at the time that human will easily heal up. On the other hand if the human dies and the vampire survives at 1-100 he will most likely be finished off by long range support from the human team. This suggestion doesn't give vampires a huge advantage, but it creates more situations of mutual destruction when 1v1 allowing for more trade engagements for your team.

Charged Melee
Holding down left click to charge melee should lock down your direction, but you should still be able to control your direction once you let go as it is now. What this does is make charged melee more of a planned attack, and lowers it's use as a mobility tool.

Human Healing Animation
Human healing should work like vampires. Using Defaults; Hit E key to go activate the ability to heal then press X to start animation (that can be canceled). This gives humans the same disadvantage vampires have had since Alpha, a tell that helps the enemy react to your healing.

Human Healing Restriction
Another difference that makes healing for humans superior is that an entire team can heal at the same time. I would prefer it if only one human could heal at a time, locking down a health station the same way vampires can lock down feedings. Of course adjustments would have to be made, such as timing and possibly adding more heal station per level.

Floating Damage Numbers
Hitting a target allows you to see their health and a floating number of damage dealt. Floating numbers stay on screen much longer than health bars allowing easy tracking of targets; the numbers should disappear faster.

Locked Loadouts
I've mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again because it might become more of an issue now that we are entering Open Beta. Many F2P games I've played have always had loadouts locked when in game. BLR, Loadout, Hawken to name a few. Obviously this is a design choice but it seems a bit counter intuitive to balance to not lock out loadouts. I may not have a straight advantage having every ability unlocked, but being able to create a whole new loadout in game trivialized any strategic choice you make before entering a game. At a full roster of classes, you get 8 loadouts per side, that seems more than enough loadouts than one needs.

Alchemist Suggestion
Alchemist's explosive FX should be removed or lessened. Every hit/explosion of the Hand Cannon projectiles creates large smoke clouds. This hinders her and her team by obscuring her and her teams LoS. Personally I think this is the reason why she doesn't compare to other classes at higher level.

Sentinel Suggestion
Sentinel max flight speed should be lowered slightly, but air dodging CD should be lowered substantially. The effect this would have is that it would allow speed building to be easier but limited. The max air speed Sentinel has hasn't changed at all for a long time, but reaching it before the air dodge trick required climbing high in the air and swooping down which had more risk vs reward.

FireWorks_
21st Jan 2015, 08:41
I support the suggestion of the alchemist causing less smoke and the sentinel refinement.

Giving the humans a healing animation with a proper tell when they actually finish would be nice. Though, this comes with the downside of the losing the fake heals some people do to attract vampires thinking to have an easy kill or the occasional deceiver standing at the heal to get a backstab. Dont know which one Id rather have, the first is definitly better for higher level play.

What I would hate to see is the loadout being locked down. This kills depth of the game and is a feature I already drastically dislike in the games of the last years. Acting accordingly to the situation is a skill that should be rewarded, dont know why reading minds of the enemy for grabbing the perfect loadout is expected nowadays.

--Ram--
21st Jan 2015, 08:57
The main thing that has been bugging me one your list is the floating damage numbers. It is currently a huge source of intel, effectively granting short term wallhax. I think if floating damage numbers are to appear then they should not track the target or move at all. They should remain where they appeared for the duration.

The alchemist self smoke grenade is certainly a problem

A few other interesting ideas as well, nice list.

Psyonix_Corey
21st Jan 2015, 14:33
Good stuff in here. I won't be able to respond extensively today with OB launch, but will definitely give this some time ASAP.

We can definitely look at tweaking the floating numbers longevity or "tracking" issue, that's a pet peeve of mine too.

PencileyePirate
21st Jan 2015, 18:26
Sentinel max flight speed should be lowered slightly, but air dodging CD should be lowered substantially. The effect this would have is that it would allow speed building to be easier but limited. The max air speed Sentinel has hasn't changed at all for a long time, but reaching it before the air dodge trick required climbing high in the air and swooping down which had more risk vs reward.

No. Please no. Reducing the air-dodge CD sounds nice but reducing max flight speed is unacceptable.

Most of the other suggestions are fairly reasonable and seem worth trying.

Psyonix_Corey
22nd Jan 2015, 00:37
Damage numbers won't follow players anymore in a future patch.

Looking into bandaging animations for using health stations.

Rest I still need to think about.

--Ram--
22nd Jan 2015, 00:51

Brilliant, thanks for being so responsive on this.

TendrilSavant
22nd Jan 2015, 04:43

That's great, thanks Corey!

As long as they're being considered, that's also great.

FireWorks_
22nd Jan 2015, 09:00
Wow great responsiveness! :D

Maybe let some artist have a look at the smoke from explosions too?