PDA

View Full Version : CD/SE/MS Please watch and take note...

Tecstar70
20th Jan 2015, 12:28
BEWARE! Bad language ahoy!

vsgoD74vLIo

Metalrocks
20th Jan 2015, 13:00
lol. saw that earlier too. pretty much the reason why i lost interest in this game.

Driber
20th Jan 2015, 14:08
iTunes... interesting analogy. iTunes' business model revolves around selectively buying tracks as opposed to the conventional method of buying an entire album and be stuck with tracks you don't like. Kinda like... DLC? :p

Tecstar70
20th Jan 2015, 16:43
iTunes... interesting analogy. iTunes' business model revolves around selectively buying tracks as opposed to the conventional method of buying an entire album and be stuck with tracks you don't like. Kinda like... DLC? :p

I don't think that is really a good comparison.

If I can buy a 10-track album for £7.99 and choose to only buy 6 tracks, that my decision to split the product.
If I am offered a 6-track album for £7.99, and then a month later am offered extra tracks for additional cost, I could feel like I had bought an incomplete album in the first place, but I don't know if that actually happens on iTunes.

Where this comparison could be valid is in the growing trend to offer "deluxe" versions of albums. So you can buy the standard album for £7.99 or the "deluxe" version for £10.99. The premise being the same in that you buy the standard album as that is presented as "the album" but when you see the deluxe version you could feel that the album wasn't in its complete form in the first place. I tend to think the extra tracks are offered to supplement your enjoyment of the said album and make my decision to buy deluxe if I like the artist enough.

In any case I think your proposal that selectively buying music tracks is like buying video game DLC is incorrect IMO.

a_big_house
20th Jan 2015, 17:14
I don't really understand what the point of the OP is? Sure, mass amounts of DLC are annoying, but CD have never really gone OTT with DLC. With TR9, there were a few outfit packs and some MP maps; what's the issue with that?

Tecstar70
20th Jan 2015, 17:36
I don't really understand what the point of the OP is? Sure, mass amounts of DLC are annoying, but CD have never really gone OTT with DLC. With TR9, there were a few outfit packs and some MP maps; what's the issue with that?

From my perspective:

It's an entertaining opinion on the rise of DLC and pre-ordering as a purely financial exercise rather than one that benefits the consumer
It's a view that I would like CD/SE/MS to be aware of
It may spark some interesting conversations on the subject with forum members

I don't necessarily have an issue with what has been done SO FAR. TR2013's Map Packs weren't as great as they could have been due to game mode limitations, but as DLC offerings go it wasn't too bad.
LCTOO DLC interests me for the extra levels mainly. The costumes are nice but the playable figures are small so it only adds limited value to the game, IMO. Again, not too bad.

I just hope that this trend as seen with Evolve doesn't escalate further and RotTR follows it.

a_big_house
20th Jan 2015, 18:05
Ahh, I get you now :)

I do think the DLC trend will worsen, just like the Alpha/Beta 'test' releases; a lot of indie games get nowadays, the way I see it, if you need people to tell you what to improve, you shouldn't be making the game in the first place :hmm:

I don't see CD jumping on the excessive DLC bandwagon though. They were clear enough when they said TR9 wouldn't have SP DLC; that if the game doesn't need DLC, it won't get it, which I'm fine with.

Metalrocks
23rd Jan 2015, 14:06
i know this will fit in here. looks like they didnt get really the message.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139574-Evolve-Dev-Says-no-Dirty-Underhanded-S

i mean what did he expect when he announces so many DLCs that gives the impression you get half a game?

Tecstar70
23rd Jan 2015, 14:50
The digital versions alone are enough to give you a headache... http://evolvegame.com/news/the-evolve-digital-versions-breakdown

Highlights include...

"We can’t drive this part home enough: If you are planning to buy the game, but are skittish about pre-purchase, don’t be. As soon as the clock strikes midnight on 2/10/15, the FREE Monster Expansion Pack bonus goes away and it will run you over £11.99 to buy Behemoth, the fourth Monster, and the Savage Goliath skin after the fact."

12 quid for a character and a skin!!!

"Some quick math: If you just buy the game, that’s 60 bucks. Add on the Hunters Season Pass that includes four brand new Hunters and exclusive Monster skins, and that’s another $25. If you jump on the Digital Deluxe version, you save an additional five bucks for jumping in early. (And don’t forget that fourth Monster worth $14.99 that comes free with pre-order.) "

15 bucks for a playable character!

" For the Hardcore: The Evolve PC Monster Race Edition
This is for the gamer that is planning for the future and wants to save big bucks, right now. This version of the game jams in everything mentioned above: The Fourth Monster, Behemoth (when it’s available after launch), the Hunters Season Pass (the next four Hunters are yours as they become available after launch) and the Magma Monster skins. On top of that, this version locks you in for the Unannounced FIFTH Monster as well as the FIFTH and SIXTH DLC Hunters. "

So how many playable characters are there as add-ons?

"As an Xbox One digital exclusive, if you pre-purchase the game you also instantly-unlock Wraith and the third tier of Hunters in both the Beta and the final game. "

So pre-ordering means you don't even have to EARN levels in the game?

I am not DLC averse by any means, but either they are communicating the whole concept wrong or this smacks of blood-sucking. CD/SE/MS...please don't do this to Tomb Raider....

Metalrocks
23rd Jan 2015, 15:15
steam also describes what you get when you pre order the game.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/273350/

100$ for the monster race version?? also, free version of L4D? hate to break to them but no one is playing it. every time i go on it, only empty servers. plenty on L4D 2 since you can play the older characters and the old maps in part 2.
this game sounds really like a DLC driven game.
might as well call it "DLC the game".

a_big_house
23rd Jan 2015, 17:37
Oh god Tecstar, what is up with that text colour!? :lol:

As for Evolve's DLC - Well, what else are the developers going to do to make a narrow-winded game playable for more than 10 minutes? :cool:

Tecstar70
23rd Jan 2015, 17:42
Oh god Tecstar, what is up with that text colour!? :lol:

Looks OK to me, but then i'm using the Tomb Raider 10 Light theme...

EDIT: Have changed it - is that better?

a_big_house
23rd Jan 2015, 18:01
Looks OK to me, but then i'm using the Tomb Raider 10 Light theme...

EDIT: Have changed it - is that better?

I'm on dark and it really clashes, but yeah that purple is much better :D

TheArcaneHuntress
23rd Jan 2015, 20:35
The digital versions alone are enough to give you a headache... http://evolvegame.com/news/the-evolve-digital-versions-breakdown

Highlights include...

(snip)

I am not DLC averse by any means, but either they are communicating the whole concept wrong or this smacks of blood-sucking. CD/SE/MS...please don't do this to Tomb Raider....

@_@ I took a hiatus from last generation until the back end - so maybe I'm missing something - But has any game ever been that pricey?

AlexWeiss
23rd Jan 2015, 21:19
I don't see CD jumping on the excessive DLC bandwagon though. They were clear enough when they said TR9 wouldn't have SP DLC; that if the game doesn't need DLC, it won't get it, which I'm fine with.
Hopefully SE doesn't try to force them to do it for some MS deal...

TheArcaneHuntress
23rd Jan 2015, 21:48

Mm, I do feel fear of the beast paints a more frightening picture than the beast itself

a_big_house
23rd Jan 2015, 21:51

Well at least we know it'll only be on Xbox :lol:

AlexWeiss
23rd Jan 2015, 22:45
Mm, I do feel fear of the beast paints a more frightening picture than the beast itself
Depends if the beast is self-aware :/ Hope you're right, though.

Well at least we know it'll only be on Xbox :lol:
True:p

Metalrocks
5th Feb 2015, 15:06
another statement regarding "evolve" DLCs.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139720-Take-Two-CEO-On-Evolve-DLC-Controversy

Tecstar70
5th Feb 2015, 15:47
another statement regarding "evolve" DLCs.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139720-Take-Two-CEO-On-Evolve-DLC-Controversy

He is right, there's not necessarily such a thing as bad press as I believe will be proved when RotTR sells fabulously well on ALL platforms (if its a great game), but anecdotal evidence suggests people have been put off buying Evolve including the author of the piece.

IvanaKC
5th Feb 2015, 20:51

Yeah, developers won't go crazy with DLC, I agree.

It's not like they are not aware that DLCs are not really gamer's favorite stuff. Besides, we all know there's one perfect example how exclusive DLC went wrong in TR. Since I think of them as smart people, I doubt they'll make the mistake of DLC again.

Tihocan
5th Feb 2015, 21:20
So, moral of this story:
Don't inundate us with a gazillion different pre-order editions so that, no matter what we pick, we feel we are missing out.

I don't mind the odd bit of DLC but please, be reasonable.

Metalrocks
6th Feb 2015, 04:02
dlc is all fine and good as long they keep it reasonable like bioware did with the ME series, but this is just exaggerating with the pre order stuff.

Metalrocks
12th Feb 2015, 06:09
that is a lot of money for DLCs on top of the standard game. hell, not even EA is that evil with its premium for the BF franchise.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139809-Evolves-Launch-DLC-Totals-136