PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Step, why vertical fall after end?

BalaGi
15th Jan 2015, 23:47
I'm new in Nosgoth so i'm not ready to think about balance, but why when Reaver's Shadow Step ends in midair, Reaver just falls with zero horizontal speed? That looks strange. Remain momentum should look much cooler, and that would help to reach rooftops sometime. When you just falls right in front of the wall, that's sad. Don't think that should make shadowstep owerpowered.

SilentVirtue
16th Jan 2015, 00:02
Its literally shadowsteps only weakness at the moment. fine as is

PencileyePirate
16th Jan 2015, 00:07
I wouldn't mind this now that SS activation time was nerfed into mediocrity.

Ysanoire
16th Jan 2015, 02:27
It would extend SS's range like woohooo.

TheDreamcrusher
17th Jan 2015, 00:13
I would like that. Would kind of be like momentum in Starsiege: Tribes. I think more mechanics like that would be cool to master.

SquirrelInDaSky
17th Jan 2015, 18:43
i imagine someone shadowstepping 45 degrees into the air on one side of the map and landing on the other.

BalaGi
17th Jan 2015, 19:15
It would extend SS's range like woohooo.

i imagine someone shadowstepping 45 degrees into the air on one side of the map and landing on the other.
No. When you're jump off the roof, do you cross the map? I mean, you should exit shadowstep with your regular moving speed, nothing more. So, if you're shadowstepping 45 deg into the air, you get over exact or even a shorter distance than you use shadowstep straight ahead. Here's a presentation for you guys.
http://rghost.ru/60408777/image.png

FireWorks_
17th Jan 2015, 19:47
A little bit of error margin would ok I think. Like inherit 10-15% of the speed. On the other hand, the times you miss the ledge by that half meter drastically reduces after a couple hours of using it.

Psyonix_Corey
17th Jan 2015, 20:29
No. When you're jump off the roof, do you cross the map? I mean, you should exit shadowstep with your regular moving speed, nothing more. So, if you're shadowstepping 45 deg into the air, you get over exact or even a shorter distance than you use shadowstep straight ahead. Here's a presentation for you guys.
http://rghost.ru/60408777/image.png

I appreciate your beautiful artistic renderings and we'll look at trying it out internally. It's not the way it is for any specific reason besides not wanting Reavers to slingshot around the level, but we could definitely consider conserving some momentum. I agree it feels a little bit stilted as-is.

--Ram--
18th Jan 2015, 03:49
That would be great even if it is only a fraction of full speed, thanks Corey and those who brought this up.

Luxrath
22nd Jan 2015, 19:39
I APPROVE THIS THREAD!:thumb:

Razaiim
22nd Jan 2015, 20:21
Why not have the reaver exit shadowstep at the speed he enters?

Saturnity
22nd Jan 2015, 21:04
It encourages shadowstepping to safety instead of using it in the air randomly. Just sweetspot ledges (Aim directly at the corner of a building since smoke can pass where you would normally get stopped. You'll reappear out of sight on the building.) or use it so you appear just an inch off the ground to cancel landing lag.
http://i.imgur.com/6TtK3Yf.png

Having a little forward momentum might help a little if you're shadowstepping past someone instead of away from them.

--Ram--
23rd Jan 2015, 03:33
lovely pic Saturn