PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Community Response to LCTOO

Valenka
15th Jan 2015, 03:14
Has anyone happened by any comments on Facebook in regard to Square Enix, Tomb Raider or LCTOO? I think I lost about twenty brain cells in the past ten minutes reading through comments on the TR Facebook page's latest video update about the new DLC for the game. I honestly got a little aggravated to the point where I posted a comment addressing my opinion on what was being said by some people of the community.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2djq4qh.jpg

What do you guys think about some of the comments made on Facebook or in general about Tomb Raider, especially in regard to LCTOO (and LCGOL) and the new play style?

Driber
15th Jan 2015, 11:00
You just posted your own comment. How can we comment on other comments if you don't quote them as well :whistle:

BTW, it's not "TR13". That one is still years away, heh. And the spin-off started before TR9 (what you call TR13).

Treeble
15th Jan 2015, 19:09
It's a public page Driber, I don't have a Facebook account myself but time and time again I do check a few pages and the Lara Croft page is filled with stupid. Sorry, no other word can describe it. I don't know how it works, but I'm guessing people looked it up and followed them because I'M ASSUMING they're fans. Very lousy fans though.

If you think you're brave enough, have a look... www.facebook.com/laracroft

You're allowed to read past the infinite boycott threats because of the Rise of the Tomb Raider/Xbox debacle, but make sure you stop by to read every "what is this, Lara Croft for little kids?" comment that's there. By now there are probably a lot of replies to Valenka's commentary, and I'd wager to say none of them are favorable towards what he wrote. Facebook is no place for sense.

Edit:

One quick example. One of the first posts. Notice how words are not measured... Since it's not a forum and people are not "hiding" behind usernames and the like, I'd hazard a guess there's no moderation whatsoever, so people are free to say whatever they want. I'm all for freedom of speech, but this is just pure stupidity.

http://abload.de/img/likelolvys4s.jpg

I feel *very* sorry for whoever at CrystalD/Square Enix monitors these places. I'd like to believe there's no one and the postings are just automatically posted there for the convenience of all the people who live on Facebook 24/7... And yet...

I actually was thinking the other day it would be a funny idea to start a collage of why TR fans are the worst. I mean, sure, we have a lot of talented people and several sensible people among ourselves, but the vocal majority in places like Facebook and Twitter and some other forums come across as petty spoiled kids lacking reason or logic 90%+ of the time.

I for one would be very sorry if a Lara Croft 3 never comes to happen because this sort of feedback isn't good (not because LCTOO is bad -- far from it --, but rather because people like to spew s* because reasons).

a_big_house
15th Jan 2015, 20:04
The thing is, (in my opinion at least) it's not even down to it being on Facebook, it's purely because these 'fans' of the franchise are still 'angry' about the Rise/MS deal (which is fine).
But, the hate is literally everywhere and although I (probably) said a few nasty things about the deal, you've got people still purposely spreading hate across these different types of social media outlets without caring for the damage they can cause, because they can; and they probably don't actually care (about the franchise) anyway.

As an extension to the last thing Treeble wrote, I hope CD ignore the hate and get the chance to make a third Lara Croft game, because they are fun and that is all that's important. - In fact when I realized that spamming the dodge-roll button in Osiris caused Lara to do her amazing range of acrobatic flips from the LAU trilogy, I squealed as if I'd just been given a billion pound :lol:

In other words, screw the Facebook community and the comments section of whatever sit you use, because the important opinions are the active fans, who are us! :) (*hides*)

Driber
15th Jan 2015, 22:05
It's a public page Driber, I don't have a Facebook account myself but time and time again I do check a few pages and the Lara Croft page is filled with stupid.

Mason was (indirectly) asking for my opinion. Would be helpful if he'd post quotes of comments that he wants my opinion on.

I know he said "in general", but that would make for a very short, and kind of pointless discussion, wouldn't it :p

Sorry, no other word can describe it. I don't know how it works, but I'm guessing people looked it up and followed them because I'M ASSUMING they're fans. Very lousy fans though.

Don't assume anyone on FB posting on the TR FB page is a fan. I'm betting most of them are just passing through, and spewing crap along the way, as a matter of routine with every other FB page they visit.

If you think you're brave enough, have a look... www.facebook.com/laracroft (http://www.facebook.com/laracroft)

No thanks. If someone wants my opinion on a comment, quote it and I'll respond. Not going to dig into a comment page, for the sole purpose of looking for stupid comments. Those I already have the pleasure of seeing with just about any random YT video in the comment section below :D

You're allowed to read past the infinite boycott threats because of the Rise of the Tomb Raider/Xbox debacle, but make sure you stop by to read every "what is this, Lara Croft for little kids?" comment that's there. By now there are probably a lot of replies to Valenka's commentary, and I'd wager to say none of them are favorable towards what he wrote. Facebook is no place for sense.

Yeah, neither is Twitter, YT, kotaku, polygon, 4chan, neogaf, etc etc :whistle:

Edit:

One quick example. One of the first posts. Notice how words are not measured... Since it's not a forum and people are not "hiding" behind usernames and the like, I'd hazard a guess there's no moderation whatsoever, so people are free to say whatever they want. I'm all for freedom of speech, but this is just pure stupidity.

http://abload.de/img/likelolvys4s.jpg

Alright, an actual quote to respond to! Heh.

Yeah, not really sure way to say to this nonsense, these comments are completely random and empty; devoid of any actual point or tangible argument to respond to. It's just.... tripe.

I picture people posting stuff like that pretty much like this:

http://driber.net/os/troll-typing-like-a-moron.gif

:p

I actually was thinking the other day it would be a funny idea to start a collage of why TR fans are the worst.

And give these trolls acknowledgement? Please don't.

You shouldn't conflate the TR fandom as a whole with sites which are already known for posting tripe no matter what subject may be.

I for one would be very sorry if a Lara Croft 3 never comes to happen because this sort of feedback isn't good (not because LCTOO is bad -- far from it --, but rather because people like to spew s* because reasons).

I'm sure the folks in charge of decisions like that are smart enough to see through the BS ;)

WinterSoldierLTE
16th Jan 2015, 00:02
I don't understand any of it either. This may make me sound like a "Holier Than Thou" or a classifier of sorts and if it does I'm sorry, but I'd like to think these negative comments aren't coming from the "Hardcores". From what few of the comments I've read on various TR related FB posts, a lot of the negative ones seem to come from two types of TR fans: Group A) the TR "fans" who gave up on the series after CD took it over, and Group B) your "new-to-the-series, but right now I'm so excited with my newfound passion so Eff you for messing with it!" fan. I have not read every negative comment, but from the ones I have that's the vibe I get. And of course, some people just grow ten foot tall and become bulletproof behind a keyboard. There's loads of A holes out there in the world, especially on the 'net.

For me, I just stay away from the negative comments. Not because of trying to deny them or their existence, but because sometimes they're just so stupid and seem ill thought out, if thought out at all. That and I personally have a low patience when it comes to "Trolls" or "Superman Internet A Hole", whatever you want to call them.

At the end of the day, it's all down to not letting it get to you if it bothers you (if you're the type to read them out of curiosity), or just avoiding them altogether.

Going back to the "Hardcores" bit: Any fan who actually digs something enough to devour it and learn all they can about it will put thoughts in to their comments regarding whatever "it" is for them, and defend "it" in a much more mature manner than just a: "If you don't understand it, then get out of the way!!". Most "Hardcores" would want their interest to be taken seriously because it's so amazing to them they feel the whole world should check it out. And most people know the world will not if all the fans of whatever "it" is will not if the fanbase is seemingly comprised of name calling, rude, hatemongers. And I would like to think artists such as game devs, musicians, painters, whatever the craft may be are smart enough to recognize a "Hardcore" from a "Fly by nighter troll".

MeaganMarie
16th Jan 2015, 19:43
Just as an FYI, Robin and I see/monitor the threads. But as a policy, we don't delete anything unless it's spam or contains offensive language as we don't want to censor fans. Generally speaking, we have a bit more casual fans on Facebook and some have been confused about the difference between the LC and TR brands. Working on a few ways to try and clear it up. :)

Error96_
27th Jan 2015, 02:29
The thing is, (in my opinion at least) it's not even down to it being on Facebook, it's purely because these 'fans' of the franchise are still 'angry' about the Rise/MS deal (which is fine).
But, the hate is literally everywhere and although I (probably) said a few nasty things about the deal, you've got people still purposely spreading hate across these different types of social media outlets without caring for the damage they can cause, because they can; and they probably don't actually care (about the franchise) anyway.

I will say in my opinion the deal is insulting to the PS/PC TR fans. It is right that the fans are sending a huge message to CD/SE that we don't want this type of deal to happen again and that us PS or PC fans really want to keep new TR games on our platforms. In a football sense though there is a difference between a passionate fan and a hooligan and people should be careful not to overstep too much as it undermines our message. I find there is too many haters on fb where here you can have more of a discussion and hear too those who want to find positives in the deal.

Generally speaking, we have a bit more casual fans on Facebook and some have been confused about the difference between the LC and TR brands. Working on a few ways to try and clear it up. :)

Looking at the question why is there so much confusion and hate for this game directly and the answer I believe is in Darrel's statement. His speech gives the impression that Xbox fans get ROTTR and instead PS/PC get LCTOO and DE. LCTOO is a good title but if you are compare it with expectations of how good ROTTR will be then they are on different budgets. I think most of the people hating this game because they are expecting LCTOO to be ROTTR standard or because they are against CD over the deal. It isn't a accurate impression of gamers playing this game and those who worked on it shouldn't see it as that.