PDA

View Full Version : Should I Abandon Hope?

LaraRocks22
14th Jan 2015, 22:59
I haven't really been on in a long while, and was expecting to see more- but there's not much new since I last was in the circut, I'm sure we've all read the updates on the game and its publishing update. So I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were. Their word choice "is being developed by Microsoft for the Xbox" leaves me hopeful that Microsoft is publishing (advertising) solely for Xbox and that they will allow Square to publish for PS4 still. A PC release is already assumed at this point. So I digress- should we remain hopeful to see it hit Sony, or just abandon all hope? Cause I can't afford an Xbox any time soon. This year is about moving, school, and rent now that the adult world beckons. How does everyone else feel about Microsoft publishing?

TheArcaneHuntress
14th Jan 2015, 23:19
I feel pretty confident about it and understand the reasoning behind the decision and I like that crystal is willing to do whatever it takes to put tomb raider on top. And on the other side of things I understand the fear and caution that alot of fans have. I am also pretty confident it will come to ps4.

As to the other things you mentioned, I feel the team is keeping their heads down right now because they are fully committed to making the best tomb raider game yet. I have been feeling the game is going to be delayed ( which I would like ) though we shall see soon enough :3

WinterSoldierLTE
14th Jan 2015, 23:44
As has been stated before (by myself and others), just because Microsoft is publishing the Xbone version doesn't mean there won't be other console or PC versions published by someone else. They do not own TR, they just own one specific version for a limited amount of time, if anything. It is upsetting, as was the 'Underworld' DLC exclusivity, but it's a business decision on Square and CD's part. And given that it's a business decision, it'd be a bad business decision to limit the availability of TR to a certain group of audience, especially since the audience swelled so much during the last TR game's initial run.

Even if it's the best game of all time, if only a handful of people (figuratively speaking) play and experience it, it might as well not exist because it's only going to sell so many copies on one console, unless every single person who buys an Xbone also buys a copy of it. Which could be where bundle packaged consoles come in perhaps (And I personally wouldn't be surprised if there is an Xbone & 'Rise' bundle). And if it's not the best game ever and reviews (both critical and fan) are unsavory in the slightest, it may not even make back the money it took to make. So I think it is inevitable that it'll hit PC and PS3 & 4 at some point.

As far as the dev team keeping their heads down, I would to if I were them. There was a pretty big backlash over the announcement, and I'm sure it was bigger than they anticipated. But they're gonna have to "face the music" sooner or later.

As far as giving up on TR in general and throwing in the towel on the series and Lara, to each their own. I personally will not do so because while I may never forget what Microsoft, CD, and Square could possibly take away from me, I'll also never forget what CD, Core, & Eidos have already given me. There's good TR games out there that stand the test of time, and I have, and always will, look back on my time with them with good memories. But that's just me, and as I said: to each their own.

Rai
14th Jan 2015, 23:47
It's not about MS 'allowing' Square Enix to publish the game on the PS4/PC. Square still own the rights to Tomb Raider, MS are just publishing the Xbox versions of Rise. Sure, so far, we don't know if there will be PS/PC versions, but as the owners, SE will be free to publish on those platforms once the 'duration' is over, whenever that is. If Square want the best sales for RotTR, then it would make perfect business sense to do just that.

I'm okay with MS publishing the game for the Xbox, though I'm also still sad for those who won't be able to play day one. I'm hoping this strategy (there must be one) works out for SE/CD. TR'13 didn't sell quite so well on the Xbox as it did on the PS, so I can only guess that SE's plans are to see it on the Xbox first to give those sales a chance before eventually releasing it on the PS and PC. I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

Valenka
15th Jan 2015, 03:10
If you're so willing to lose hope long before the game is even released, exclusively or not...wow.

LaraRocks22
15th Jan 2015, 05:03
If you're so willing to lose hope long before the game is even released, exclusively or not...wow.

If you're not going to contribute more to the discussion than critizing me without so much as giving any reasons to back up said criticisms... Wow. Back at you. I'm not going to be excited for and look forward to a game I'll never have the pleasure of playing. More still the topic- was on the publisher being Microsoft and what that means for playstation fans. I don't blindly accept a franchise I grew up with to be taken away without first voicing my being let down and having questions. Thanks for the input valenka, quite constructive answer to my posed questions.

To everyone else, I see your points and appreciate hearing your thoughts as well. I just didn't know if it was pointless to hold out hope for this game coming to playstation still or if I should just give up after that announcement. I hope this is a one off deal and ends up being a lesson to square. Something tells me it won't be.

TheArcaneHuntress
15th Jan 2015, 05:20
To everyone else . . . tells me it won't be.

I think that you can trust square, but more so ~ crystal to not let that happen ( you can check out the Rise Of The Tomb Raider FAQ (http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/95495143805/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-faq) which confirms that its timed if you need that to assure you ). That being said, I have no idea how long the wait will be

LaraRocks22
15th Jan 2015, 05:33
I understand the timed exclusivity. But I'm not okay until I hear a PS confirmation. I don't have a gaming PC or a pc at all so I really could care less about that platform (not to sound harsh) I just hate 3rd party exclusives like this. And I don't know if I'm the only person that actually still thinks it's coming for playstation or not- or if that's a silly assumption at this point. You know? If they said "yes it's coming for playstation in 5 years" I'd be fine because I'd know and I'd look forward to it. Right now the shadiness gives me no reason to get excited. I realize it's just a game but it's been the only game that I look forward to and get excited for. Lol and now it feels like that's been taken away and I've got nothing to look forward to on that scale like I've always had with tomb raider. And I'm not being bullied into buying a new console that I can't afford and wouldn't otherwise use

TheArcaneHuntress
15th Jan 2015, 06:24
I understand the timed exclusivity. But I'm not okay until I hear a PS confirmation. I don't have a gaming PC or a pc at all so I really could care less about that platform (not to sound harsh) I just hate 3rd party exclusives like this. And I don't know if I'm the only person that actually still thinks it's coming for playstation or not- or if that's a silly assumption at this point. You know? If they said "yes it's coming for playstation in 5 years" I'd be fine because I'd know and I'd look forward to it. Right now the shadiness gives me no reason to get excited. I realize it's just a game but it's been the only game that I look forward to and get excited for. Lol and now it feels like that's been taken away and I've got nothing to look forward to on that scale like I've always had with tomb raider. And I'm not being bullied into buying a new console that I can't afford and wouldn't otherwise use

Ya, I understand you. Honestly I don't like the vague business talk either, I've never understood why businesses do that. It causes alot of confusion. Also, I understand what you mean; I love Tomb Raider to death ~ its not just a game

a_big_house
15th Jan 2015, 14:02
I know you've said you can't afford an Xbox (I assume One), but myself and a friend have a plan for this same thing (we both have PS4s). When the game comes out, (which I think they really should have made it clear it's on Xbone AND 360), we're gonna buy it on 360 for the release day; then if they announce it on PS4, we'll get the collectors editions (assuming it's worth it).

It's still not ideal, but couldn't you do the same and get yourself a 360? Just to get the experience of playing it? A second hand one for whatever kind of shops you might have will be selling them pretty cheap, and even if you can't afford one right now, you still have until the end of the year to save up and get one :)

Scion_Light
15th Jan 2015, 14:07
I completely agree with you LaraRocks22 about not being able to get excited about ROTR. CD themselves have tried to mislead with their statements and Q & A answers about the other versions. I am sure it will come to PS and PC once the timed exclusivity is over how ever long that may be. If they weren't intending it they probably would have said no directly rather than timed so in that sense it looked better.

In the long term I can't see CD/SE perusing this path for TR but that will be a product of the pressure of fans uniting against this deal rather than CD deciding to do the right thing. I don't really trust CD since Darrell's statement but I am still passionate about TR and I trust in us fans not to just accept this. The lack of response from the developers is probably because they are in shock over how badly it went down and still considering where to go. I would say stick with it and am sure us PS and PC gamers will get ROTTR.

Blacktron
15th Jan 2015, 14:55
So I digress- should we remain hopeful to see it hit Sony, or just abandon all hope?
Like most have mentioned before, I am pretty sure it will come to PC & PS eventually, but there's no telling when. There's no telling what other horrors Microsoft has in store either - Xbox exclusive DLC? Lazy PS port like Underworld? Mandatory sign in to some Microsoft account? And since they want this game to come out at the same time as Uncharted 4 to directly compete to that game, there's the possibility that TR10 will be an unfinished, incomplete, rushed to meet the deadline, glitchfest like Assassins Creed Unity or Rome Total War 2, or so many games these days.

How does everyone else feel about Microsoft publishing?
When I think of all these passionate TR fans - the ones who have made thousands of pieces of fanart, or the hundreds of Lara cosplay girls, all of them showing their enthousiasm about the franchise, it feels like a huge betrayal when the publisher just stabbs them in the back like that, throws them in the muck and shouts: 'shut up you *****, you're a wallet on legs and nothing more!'

How hard is it to comprehend that in order to make a strong successful franchise you've got to deliver quality? Build up your reputation as a franchise worth getting excited about! We WANT to be excited about it, but the publishers and their Microsoft cronies are just doing their best to suppress that enthusiasm.
Uncharted has been delivering quality all the time since it came out, GTA has been delivering quality all the time. No wonder people are getting excited about it when a new game is announced - their reputations are spotless! Tomb Raider had some hickups - Angel of Darkness and Underworld - but I thought they were on the right track with TR9. And they shouldn't expect huge sales numbers right away: building a reputation with good games takes time, just like breaking down a reputation with bad games takes time as well. But right after a good start to building up the franchise again they just take it down again with this sickeningly disrespectful to the consumers businessdeal.

Driber
15th Jan 2015, 17:53
I'm not going to be excited for and look forward to a game I'll never have the pleasure of playing.

But you don't know yet if you will, so...

To everyone else, I see your points and appreciate hearing your thoughts as well. I just didn't know if it was pointless to hold out hope for this game coming to playstation still or if I should just give up after that announcement.

Well, I'd recommend reading this thread (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=146569). Plenty of good arguments made by people that most definitely give one hope for a multiplat release :)

I understand the timed exclusivity. But I'm not okay until I hear a PS confirmation. I don't have a gaming PC or a pc at all so I really could care less about that platform (not to sound harsh) I just hate 3rd party exclusives like this. And I don't know if I'm the only person that actually still thinks it's coming for playstation or not- or if that's a silly assumption at this point.

Not at all!

Right now the shadiness gives me no reason to get excited.

Well, that very same "shadiness" is taken by many as evidence that it eventually will come to other platforms.

I realize it's just a game but it's been the only game that I look forward to and get excited for. Lol and now it feels like that's been taken away and I've got nothing to look forward to on that scale like I've always had with tomb raider. And I'm not being bullied into buying a new console that I can't afford and wouldn't otherwise use

Let's not exaggerate - no one is bullying you. But I understand what you're trying to say.

How about asking around to see if any of your friends has (or will have) a 360 or XB1? Maybe they'll let you borrow it when TR10 releases. Or maybe they'll invite you over to their place (added bonus - TR10's xbox deal enables more social gaming :D).

Like most have mentioned before, I am pretty sure it will come to PC & PS eventually, but there's no telling when. There's no telling what other horrors Microsoft has in store either - Xbox exclusive DLC? Lazy PS port like Underworld?

Come again? A "lazy PlayStation port"? How on earth does that even make sense in this situation :scratch:

And since they want this game to come out at the same time as Uncharted 4 to directly compete to that game, there's the possibility that TR10 will be an unfinished, incomplete, rushed to meet the deadline, glitchfest like Assassins Creed Unity or Rome Total War 2, or so many games these days.

Well, if that were to happen, PS and PC fans can rejoice in knowing that the xbox crowd helped beta test the game which then later will come bug-fixed to their platforms! :p

But on a serious note, who's to say that a bug-ridden game wouldn't be a possibility without the xbox deal? AoD sure didn't have such a deal, and look what happened there :whistle:

AlexWeiss
15th Jan 2015, 21:47
And since they want this game to come out at the same time as Uncharted 4 to directly compete to that game, there's the possibility that TR10 will be an unfinished, incomplete, rushed to meet the deadline, glitchfest like Assassins Creed Unity or Rome Total War 2, or so many games these days.

I've worried about this too, as Driber mentioned, AoD was like that as well, and it was b/c of being rushed. That's why in a way, I'm hoping ROTTR will be delayed like the last one was, sure I will have to wait that much longer for it on PS4, but at least I can be excited for it in the mean time.

Tihocan
15th Jan 2015, 23:10
If you consider ROTR being exclusive XBox One as the Gate to Hell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante)#Overview_and_vestibule_of_Hell), then yes, abandon all hope.

WinterSoldierLTE
15th Jan 2015, 23:29
CD themselves have tried to mislead with their statements and Q & A answers about the other versions.

I know I said earlier I'd be low key as well if I were them, but I did forget to mention 1 thing, and it is easy to forget: They could be keeping quiet due to a clause in the exclusivity contract. We do not, and probably never will, know what sort of fine prints are in it and what consequences CD/Eidos/Square could face if said un-known clause is broken.

Tecstar70
16th Jan 2015, 09:46
I know I said earlier I'd be low key as well if I were them, but I did forget to mention 1 thing, and it is easy to forget: They could be keeping quiet due to a clause in the exclusivity contract. We do not, and probably never will, know what sort of fine prints are in it and what consequences CD/Eidos/Square could face if said un-known clause is broken.

Absolutley agree. CD/SE are saying very little because they can't compromise the deal. It is the rest of the world that is stirring it up with wild speculation that has little basis.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
17th Jan 2015, 03:56
Absolutley agree. CD/SE are saying very little because they can't compromise the deal. It is the rest of the world that is stirring it up with wild speculation that has little basis.

When the key term is 'timed exclusive' which really could mean anything, there is bound to be speculation. It's like having an election and saying the winner might be party A. Perhaps this fog is to confuse people to make a large purchasing decision they wouldn't if visibility were clear. Is probably best to wait for clarity.

Tecstar70
17th Jan 2015, 12:59
When the key term is 'timed exclusive' which really could mean anything, there is bound to be speculation.

It could mean anything, but in the world of video games there is are likely scenario's as to what this does actually mean for a franchise such as Tomb Raider.

It is most likely that...

...it WILL come to other platforms
...it will be at least February/March 2016 until it comes to other platforms
...it WON'T be as long as a year before it comes to other platforms

Rai
17th Jan 2015, 13:29
Timed = the time will run out. Like a Timed run in a Tomb Raider game. Pull a switch and you have a certain amount of time to reach the latch you've opened. Or play a timed level from TRL/A and you have a certain amount of time in which to complete it.

In this case, MS are the player, hoping to sell as many Xboxes as possible and SE are hoping to sell as many RotTR games as possible on those consoles in the timeframe. The only difference is, the customers don't know how long the timer is set for. Once the time runs out, things are reset. SE are free to do with the game as they will. What do peeps think will happen? SE will want to make more money off the game, that's what.

Steel_Wing
21st Jan 2015, 13:20
By the sounds of it we will get to play ROTTR but after some of our friends have finished it, replayed it loads of times and moved on to the next title.

Charlie_T_Raider
24th Jan 2015, 12:54
Even if Darrel and CD don't want us involved in TR's future SE are going to realise that it makes financial sense so other platform releases on ROTTR are probably going to happen.

AlexWeiss
24th Jan 2015, 16:35
Even if Darrel and CD don't want us involved in TR's future SE are going to realise that it makes financial sense so other platform releases on ROTTR are probably going to happen.
Again, not CD's fault this deal happened. SE has total control over the studio, they choose where the budget comes from, and in the end what SE cares about most is profit, which is why they called 3 million copies sold over a one month period a 'failure.'

TheArcaneHuntress
24th Jan 2015, 17:57
Again, not CD's fault this deal happened. SE has total control over the studio, they choose where the budget comes from, and in the end what SE cares about most is profit, which is why they called 3 million copies sold over a one month period a 'failure.'

yup, their missteps over the recent years also can't be ignored. Also, I think another good point of reference is in paying attention to what square is doing across the board (bringing kingdom hearts and final fantasy to xbox one )

Chaugmar
13th Feb 2015, 14:11

I don't think that TR 2013 sales could be considered a failure. SE seem to have made some poor console specific decisions such as putting Dragon Quest 10 as wii U rather than the more popular DS so if they want better sales then they should be listening to the markets rather than going with unreliable instincts.

Manx_a_million
5th May 2015, 16:10
I think you all be quite negative about the prospects of a PS release. It sold so much that they can't just drop it. I know it is so lame to have to wait longer but convinced it will come across eventually.

Tecstar70
5th May 2015, 16:13
I think you all be quite negative about the prospects of a PS release. It sold so much that they can't just drop it. I know it is so lame to have to wait longer but convinced it will come across eventually.

Welcome Manx. I love positivity! I think you are absolutely correct.