PDA

View Full Version : SENTINEL (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) Warmonic's Beginner & Advanced Guide to Sentinel

RazielWarmonic
26th Jul 2014, 09:56
http://i.imgur.com/EzhuKAz.png
THIS GUIDE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

Contents:
(Please use the search function (ctrl+f in most browsers) to find anything quickly!)

1. Introduction
2. The Appeal and Role of Sentinel
3. Jump Start Guide to Sentinel

3.1 Beginner's Do's and Don'ts
3.2 Generic Vampire Helpfulness
4. Ability Overview

4.1 Melee
4.2 Primary
4.3 Secondary
4.4 Tertiary
5. How to Fly Properly
6. What Loadout to Use

6.1 Analysis of Each Perk
7. How to Fight Properly

7.1 Positioning
7.2 Engaging

7.2.1 Advanced Engaging
7.3 Disengaging

7.3.1 Advanced Disengaging
7.4 Harassing

7.4.1 Advanced Harassing
8. Reserved
9. FAQ

9.1 Term Dictionary
10. Gameplay Videos

1. Introduction

I am going to keep an introduction short and sweet here, I'm Raziel Warmonic and I main Sentinel on vampire side. I have over 500 hours dedicated to Nosgoth (and it keeps growing) and the majority of my time playing vampire has been on the Sentinel. I noticed a lot of people love the concept of the Sentinel, but do not know how to fully nor effectively utilize this difficult class. I mainly solo queue, but occasionally duo queue with people. This guide will be picture, video, and text heavy so bare with me!

You can find my Sentinel stats here (Last Updated: 09/08/2014):

I am also a large Nosgoth streamer, you can drop by my stream (http://www.twitch.tv/razielwarmonic) anytime from 10pm-4pm PST Monday-Friday I do various things there such as hosting #SiegeThursday, and I am always learning and adapting how I play Sentinel, so that really is the best way to absorb my knowledge and ask me questions!

**If I have made a mistake/typo, please inform me via PM and not replying! Let's keep this clean, thanks!**

RazielWarmonic
26th Jul 2014, 09:57
2. The Appeal and Role of Sentinel
This section is a small introduction into Sentinel.

The Sentinel is the only flying class in Nosgoth. Now how cool is that? The Sentinel has a very niche and unique role - which is to pick off and kill. The Sentinel can appeal to people in many ways - I mean, again, it FLIES for crying out loud, it has great burst damage, and maybe you're just a diehard Raziel fan, who knows? One thing we know for sure is that you're here to kick butt and look stylish while doing it.

The role of the Sentinel goes something like this - you swoop in, pick someone off , swoop out, and have a nearby teammate or yourself finish them off. The Sentinel's mechanics/kit allows him to easily 1v1 any human, and CC people. I believe he has a great role in any coordinated team, especially if you need to focus one person. The Sentinel is a great way of doing that, or just turning a 4v4 into a quick 3v3, which means less damage going towards your teammates and granting yourself the ability of a 1v1. The Sentinel has great burst damage, and you should take advantage of that.

The drawbacks of Sentinel is that he is very vulnerable in the air, easy to spot, and easy to dodge. But do not let this deter you from trying out this awesome class!

Back to top.

RazielWarmonic
26th Jul 2014, 09:58
3. Jump Start Guide to Sentinel
You turned level 5/10/15/20 or got the founders pack, or maybe even just plain out bought Sentinel with runestones and you have no idea what the heck you're doing with this thing! Well hopefully this short "jump start guide" will get you on your way to playing Sentinel and picking up all the ladies (or boys) in no time!

Your Loadout and what it does:

RMB - Kidnap
http://i.imgur.com/YQMYBfLs.jpg

Q - Wing Flap
http://i.imgur.com/kt8B7wds.jpg

F - Dive Bomb
http://i.imgur.com/3rO8xRgs.jpg

Kidnap is your right mouse button ability, you use it by allowing the circle in the center of your screen complete and then colliding into a human while flying. This will grab the human, allowing you to fly with him for a short time before dropping the human, dealing fall damage.
Wing Flap is your secondary or your Q ability, this will deal damage in a cone in front of you, also pushing back humans in the process as a knockback effect. You use Wing Flap on the ground.
Dive Bomb is your tertiary or your F ability, you MUST be flying to use the ability. It will start you on a crash course towards Earth like a missile, dealing the most damage in the middle of the impact and fading towards the edge of impact. It also applies a stagger effect to all humans hit.

For a more in depth analysis and explanation of each ability, please refer to 4. Ability Overview!

How to Fly:

To fly, you must hold down SHIFT and climb up a building, jump off of it (using the SHIFT jump or simply run off) then click spacebar to fly - It's that simple! You do NOT need to use Kidnap to fly!

3.1 Beginner's Do's and Don'ts

Do:

Use fly as a way to get around the map.
Fly low and out of sight.
Hide a lot and use cover.
Use Kidnap from a tricky angle.

Don't:

Fly longer then you need to.
Stand or use abilities in plain sight.
Fly straight, head on into a group of humans.
Use Kidnap to fly, refer to above on how to fly.

3.2 General Vampire Helpfulness

There are a few things you should know to get you up to speed on proper vampire etiquette and playing vampires like a champ.

Do NOT eat bodies for "exp", check your teammates health - chances are if you're full after a fight, another teammate needs that body! Another helpful thing is to "refresh" bodies by quickly picking them up and dropping them, this resets their expiration timer, allowing people to feast from it longer. To pick up or drag a body, simple press E over it to grab it, and to drop it press E again.

Another great tip is the roll+melee combo, where you use spacebar to roll, then melee, then roll, then melee, etc for the fastest travel around the map. Using this simple technique will allow you to catch up to even "Fleet Flooted" perked humans. It can also get you to and fro a fight faster.

You can also use the scoreboard (tab) to see the health of humans for easier targetting/clean up.

You are now ready to start as a Sentinel player! Go get 'em tiger!

Back to top.

RazielWarmonic
26th Jul 2014, 09:58
4. Ability Overview
Here I will discuss each Sentinel ability, how it is used, and their pros/cons.

4.1 Melee

Your melee as a Sentinel does 185 damage each hit. Your fully charged melee does 350.

4.2 Primary

You have two abilities to pick as your primary (right mouse button) ability - Kidnap, and Abduct.

http://i.imgur.com/YQMYBfL.png
KIDNAP - Kidnap is your default ability you are given when you first pick up Sentinel. It doesn't do any damage on its own, has a 15 second cooldown, and a charge time of 1.25 seconds. Kidnap is a great utilitarian ability to really take your target out of the fight. It has great CC abilities compared to Abduct because the grab time is significantly longer. This allows you to pick that target off and get him out of there. Because of the long duration you will also likely get more fall damage from flying upwards with Kidnap compared to Abduct. Kidnap does not have any amount of guaranteed damage, making it finicky in some situations.

http://i.imgur.com/bMprF9j.png
ABDUCT - Abduct is your other option for your right mouse button ability. Abduct also has a 15 second cooldown and a charge time of 1.25 seconds, the difference in being that it deals 120 damage per second of air time with your target. Abduct is a great way to secure damage in any grab situation, if you're going for a fast and swift kill, this is where this ability comes into play. Being a lot shorter than Kidnap in it's grab duration, you won't get your target too far before you drop him. The trade off for the short grab duration is the guaranteed 120 damage a second.

4.3 Secondary

If you have not changed your keybindings, these abilities default on Q.

http://i.imgur.com/kt8B7wd.png
WING FLAP - Wing Flap is your default ability for Sentinel secondary. Wing Flap deals 300 damage to anyone in a cone in front of the Sentinel, and it also has a knockback. It has a cooldown time of 15 seconds. Wing Flap is also a lot easier to use/hit with because of it's wide radius compared to Puncture. Its initial damage of 300 is hard to reckon with, especially if they fall off a ledge and take more fall damage from it's knockback. Wing Flap is a good CC mechanic as well because of it's knockback, it can keep a lot of humans in line if done correctly. (Also known as 'Gust Push Back Attack')

http://i.imgur.com/M4z29R0.png
PUNCTURE - Puncture is your alternative to Wing Flap. Puncture deals 400 damage to anyone in a line in front of the Sentinel, and has no CC effects. It shares the same cooldown time of 15 seconds with Wing Flap as well. Puncture is great for burst damage, it has a fast wind-up speed, and can hit multiple targets. The drawback is that if you miss or get CC'd out of your Puncture, it can be rather detrimental. Puncture is good for 1v1 situations where you want to take a human out of the fight and burst him down. (However if you manage to find a couple of humans stacked up super close to each other, you can hit them all with Puncture as well, dealing massive damage!)

4.4 Tertiary

If you have not changed your keybindings, these abilities default on F.

http://i.imgur.com/3rO8xRg.png
DIVE BOMB - Dive Bomb is your default ability for your tertiary. This ability deals 200-400 damage with a max radius of 512, and is on a 15 second cooldown. Dive Bomb also has a stagger CC effect to anyone it hits. If you hit someone with the center of your Dive Bomb it will deal 400 then fade to 200 the further your target is away from the impact zone. Dive Bomb is really high risk, with decent reward. If used effectively it can stagger multiple humans and deal a good amount of AoE damage. The further away/higher you use it, the more damage it deals. The cons of this ability is that it puts you in the middle of the fight, you can be bola'd out of it, or even killed while Dive Bombing. The cons shouldn't deter you from using it however, these are just to make you aware of what may stop your Dive Bomb and to be on the look out for it!

http://i.imgur.com/GRlKgLX.png
TAKEOFF - Takeoff is an AoE with a radius of 500, deals 175 damage flat, is on a 15 second cooldown, and propels you into the air in a straight line, allowing you the ability to fly. Takeoff is the only Sentinel ability with CC break, meaning you can get out of bola with it. There are a lot of cons to taking Takeoff at the moment though, it is useless indoors, you can be hit while taking off, and because it is always straight up in a line it's easy to track, and thus be killed while using it.

http://i.imgur.com/r9RAoDl.png
ECHOLOCATION - Echolocation is easily the most unique ability in the game with a 20 second cooldown and 5 second duration. When you activate Echolocation, your screen will go nearly black (this includes textures, lighting, etc) and humans will light up a bright orange, allowing you to see them through walls. It can also see stealthed players (example: a camouflaged scout). There are a lot of cons with this ability at the moment, such as replacing one of your essential burst damage/harass/CC slots, it is hard to see the world thus makes navigating tricky, and having no secondary effect there is no reason for it to be used in it's current state. (Unless you need to play hunt the 1 human. ;) )

ICON
PLACEHOLDER
AIRSTRIKE - Airstrike is the holy grail of Sentinel harassment, it deals 350 damage with a radius of 600, has a 1.25 second fuse length, and a 20 second cooldown. It is also a ranged bomb ability. If a human is standing on top of the airstrike it will deal 350 damage, the damage lowers the further you get away from the bomb. You can throw Airstrike safely from cover, making it easy chip damage. Airstrike is also considered "sticky", meaning it will stick to walls but not players. It's also good for telling where humans are specifically for your Kidnap/Abduct as you'll see a health bar for each human hit with it. If done correctly and in a good position, there are no cons to taking Airstrike. It's free damage. However, if you do not position your airstrike or take cover while throwing it, you may get bola'd or targeted while casting - so be careful!

Back to top.

RazielWarmonic
26th Jul 2014, 09:59
5. How to Fly Properly
I know it may sound silly - but most people don't know how to steer this darn thing, or even get it off the ground! I've seen one too many people use Kidnap to fly, and it breaks my heart each time. I believe this is an necessary element to master for any Sentinel player, there are lots of little mechanics you need to grasp to make you a better pilot.

Let's start with the very basics. To fly as a Sentinel, you must run/jump off a ledge, then press spacebar to fly. It's simple!

Flying Maneuvers:

Dodging:
A - Dodge Right
D - Dodge Left
Both of these 'dodges' will make your character move to the left or right. It gets a lot cooler than just that, though.

ADVANCED: Dodge air boosts:
This concept is kind of hard to explain without a video or diagram, but I'll do my best. If you press A to dodge right, and move your mouse to the right (basically following through the dodge with your character) you will gain a speed boost. Vice versa if you do it with D to dodge left, and move your mouse left, you'll gain a speed boost! This is a really easy thing to do and takes little practice but makes flight travel and dodging that much better.

Swooping/Diving:
Swooping/diving is a very simple concept that makes a lot of sense. You point your Sentinel downwards while flying, and he gains speed. No tricks on this one.

Gaining Altitude:
There are a BUNCH of ways to gain altitude, the easiest and generally fastest way though is to scale a wall. You'll probably notice if you aim upwards to fly up, you will lose speed. To regain this speed simply tap spacebar to stop flying, then tap it quickly again to start flying again, thus regaining speed.

ADVANCED: Altitude gain w/ Dodge air boosts:
If you have mastered the dodge air boosts, to quickly gain altitude simply do the dodge boost in a half-third of a circle and point upwards with your aim. This will send you flying into the air fairly easily and it's a great way to start off a fresh life, quickly scout, or get back to the fight.

Flight Cancel/Reactivation Maneuvers:
I almost want to call this more so an advanced dodging/flight mechanic because this isn't something you will use a lot, but should be mentioned regardless. As I mentioned in the gaining altitude section, you can tap spacebar to cancel flight, then tap it again to reactivate flight. You really have to get a feel for this, as you will keep some of your velocity if you cancel flight. I often use this trick to avoid bullets, as it catches people off guard if you suddenly drop a few feet. I also most notably use a delayed flight similar to this mechanic to jump from the pillar in Sommerdamm when hunting humans on the bridge. This is a good mechanic to quickly take cover or get yourself closer to the ground to dodge or even regain flight speed. Again, I think you really have to get a feel on when to use spacebar and learn where it puts your Sentinel when you deactivate flight in the air, but it can be an invaluable tool at times.

Abilities That Put You Into Flight:

Kidnap - A sin a see a lot of newer Sentinel players make - using Kidnap to fly with no humans around. However, with that much being said, if you run/jump off a ledge and use Kidnap it will put you into flight. This can be good for sneakier Kidnaps.
Abduct - Same as Kidnap.
Takeoff - This ability launches you straight into the air, putting you into flight.
Airstrike - If you jump, hop, run, or backpeddle off a ledge and use Airstrike, you will then be put into flight.

When To Fly:

In this next bit I'm going to go over more so when to fly and when not to fly. I know as a Sentinel the thing that probably appealed to you the most is the fact that you can fly, but let me tell you - number one rule of Sentinel is do not fly. I know that sounds silly, but trust me on this one, it makes you super vulnerable and an easy target. You'll take a lot of chip damage, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't fly!

Use fly to...

Get from roof top to roof top. It makes it a lot easier (less clunky and faster) to just glide to the next roof.
Get back to the fight! If you died and an engage is still going on, flying is the fastest way in Nosgoth to travel, so abuse that power to get back where you need to be and help out your teammates.
Scout quickly. This gets tricky; you can peak to fly for a very short time before you should land and tuck yourself away again. This should mainly be used to keep tabs on where to air strike. It can also be used to locate humans, but again, find them then hide away again. You want to stay airborne as little as possible.

Do not use fly to...

Fly above, or around, a group of humans. Easy target, you will be dead.
Fly around the map. This should be another obvious, it leaves you vulnerable for chip damage and scout damage. No good comes out of this. They also can hear your wing flaps, so that gives away your positioning for those sneaky air strikes and abduct/kidnaps!

Please note that this is not a DEFINITIVE nor a 'you should ALWAYS do this' sort of thing, flying changes depending on what skill level of humans you are against and human composition. An example being that if you're against an all alchemist or mainly alchemist composition, you'll have more freedom to fly around because they simply cannot hit you.

YouTube Guide on flying:
IaARdB2YZKI

Back to top.

RazielWarmonic
26th Jul 2014, 09:59
6. What Loadouts to Use
This will be mostly personal preference, but I will go over abilities more in depth and why I choose what I choose over what I don't, and how to pair things with the right perks.

My Default Loadout:

This is the loadout I use 99% of the time.

RMB - Abduct
http://i.imgur.com/bMprF9js.jpg

Q - Puncture
http://i.imgur.com/M4z29R0s.jpg

F - Airstrike
NO ICON

Perk - Frenzy
http://i.imgur.com/Oo1Eh2is.jpg

The reasoning behind this loadout is quick, fast, bursty damage. It allows me to safely harass, then as soon as my teammates initiate, target a player, take them out of the fight and burst them down. If done correctly, without even getting Air Strike chip damage in, you can abduct someone, get as much altitude as possible, then land on them, melee them once and then Puncture and that person will be dead. There are obvious factors that can change this such as Alchemist heal or Prophet shield, but this is a good build for pub stomping and even in organized play from my experience. If you are close to an edge, often times you can get a second air strike or just run over to help your teammates. This quickly turns a 4v4 into a 4v3.

Why Frenzy?

I prefer Frenzy to get that quick burst in. Perhaps most people don't notice a difference but I certainly do. Just helps to kill that target as quick as possible and run over to finish the group. I choose Frenzy over Bloodlust because of the timer on Bloodlust, you don't know how far away from the group you'll be when you get your kill in. I also choose it over Undying Wisdom because I'm here to burst and get out, not burst, sit around, and burst again - it's not a significant enough CD reduction when all of our abilities are on a 15 second timer.

Ol' Reliable:

This is the loadout that you are given when you first pick up Sentinel.

RMB - Kidnap
http://i.imgur.com/YQMYBfLs.jpg

Q - Wing Flap
http://i.imgur.com/kt8B7wds.jpg

F - Dive Bomb
http://i.imgur.com/3rO8xRgs.jpg

Perk - Bloodlust
http://i.imgur.com/JiTTcMws.jpg

The default loadout isn't the worst thing in the world. It's actually pretty viable for both older and newer players. It's easy to use, and hard to miss. All of the abilities have great AoE damage, on top of that this build is super CC, meaning you support your teammates as well. If I were to change up my default Sentinel build, I would more than likely fall back on this one. It doesn't really take advantage of the Sentinel's burst, but rather his CC potential. I would use this build to kidnap a person, drop him back into the middle of a group, Dive Bomb as many humans as possible (they should be distracted by your teammates at this point), position yourself for a Wing Flap, then clean up with Bloodlust at your side. You can ultimately use either Kidnap or Abduct. Either works in this build. For more CC go with Kidnap, for quicker damage go with Abduct.

Why Bloodlust?

While I'll admit I have not played with this build, I think Bloodlust is a good choice because like I will mention in the perk section, if you're going to put yourself in the middle of everything you might as well go ham and clean up those kills as fast as possible.

Side note: Please don't think of this as a definitive guide to loadouts, if you have a loadout that suits your playstyle better, by all means, I encourage you to use it! This is just to give ideas on how loadouts work as I have found out.
MORE TO COME

6.1 Analysis of Each Perk

This section will go through each perk and their benefits to Sentinel, they are not ordered in any particular way.

http://i.imgur.com/Oo1Eh2i.png
FRENZY - This perk gives your vampire a 5% melee speed increase. This is my go to perk on Sentinel because I really utilize and abuse the bursting power of Sentinel, making this melee speed increase invaluable to me in a 1v1. This is a pure offensive perk.

http://i.imgur.com/Mlbh0dq.png
UNDYING WISDOM - This perk gives you 20% cooldown reduction on your abilities. If you find yourself doing long range harass more then anything, or if engages are taking a long time, this is a perk to consider. It'll allow you to burst more often or throw more Airstrikes. This is a neutral offense/defensive perk.

http://i.imgur.com/JiTTcMw.png
BLOODLUST - A good perk if you're using Dive Bomb in your loadout. This allows you to clean up faster and easier with all of that AoE damage. If you're going to risk putting yourself into the middle of a fight, you might as well go all out and clean up kills as fast as possible. This is a pure offensive perk.

http://i.imgur.com/qap9uUi.png
REGENERATION - If you find yourself often getting shot at or chipped, I would highly consider to first reevaluate your flight strategy. If you're stuck in a hole I recommend Regeneration that way you are more safe. This is a pure defensive perk.

Back to top.

RazielWarmonic
26th Jul 2014, 10:00
7. How to Fight Properly
You now know how to fly, what abilities to use, but... When and how? What does "positioning" mean? What the heck is a "harassment"? This section is for in depth how to kick butt as Sentinel analysis.

7.1 Positioning

Positioning is where you want to put your character before, during, and after a fight. This is a critical aspect to get down as Sentinel to take reduced/zero chip damage, make sure your Airstrikes/Kidnaps/Dive Bombs/etc are effective, and much more.

As a Sentinel, you always want to be behind cover. You are a flying character, thus easy to spot and easy to target since you're just about the only thing that can take up airspace (with the exception of a jumping Tyrant, but even so that's temporary). The best mindset to get into Sentinel is that you're a stealthy burst assassin character. You don't want to be seen.

It's easier to position on some maps more so then others, it also relies on where the humans are on the maps. If humans are in a more open area, it can be harder for you to hide and get in there, even to throw airstrike!

MORE TO COME SOON™

7.2 Engaging

Patience is the key when learning to engaging on Sentinels. You want to be the definition of opportunist. There is a lot of things to keep in mind when trying to engage on a Sentinel - namely positioning. You will more then likely initiate with an abduct/kidnap, but again - positioning AND patience is key.

MORE TO COME SOON™

7.2.1 Advanced Engaging
MORE TO COME SOON™

7.3 Disengaging

MORE TO COME SOON™

7.3.1 Advanced Disengaging
MORE TO COME SOON™

7.4 Harassing

MORE TO COME SOON™

7.4.1 Advanced Harassing
MORE TO COME SOON™

Back to top.

RazielWarmonic
26th Jul 2014, 10:00
8. Reserved

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Back to top.

RazielWarmonic
26th Jul 2014, 10:01
9. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

9.1 Term Dictionary

Area of Effect/AoE - This is a term to describe an ability that covers an area and does not target one person. Examples of this being Volley, Poison Haze, and Grenade.
Backpeddle - Pressing S to move backwards, this is where you character physically moves backwards without you turning your camera.
Burst - This refers to a type of damage style that means a lot and quick damage (that comes in a short/fast burst), which are generally on higher cooldown.
Crowd Control/CC - This refers to if an ability prevents other characters from performing an action by locking them down for any amount of time, this can refer to things like staggers, stuns, knockups, etc.
Cooldown/CD -Cooldown is that time between when you activate an ability and can use it again.
Experience/EXP/XP - This refers to experience points, the point system that grants you levels in Nosgoth.
Tracking/Track - This is a type of aim meaning that you move your mouse/cursor with the moving target while shooting them.

Back to top.

RazielWarmonic
26th Jul 2014, 10:02
10. Gameplay Videos
Most of these will be without commentary/music for the time being, so just be warned.

SOMMERDAMM:
Sommerdamm Video #1 - KDA: 10/3/6 Damage: 10296 (http://youtu.be/wijiW2Qm2_s)
Sommerdamm Video #2 - KDA: 11/5/5 Damage: 12527 (http://youtu.be/f0Nx4wA2fQc)

FREEPORT:
Freeport Video #1 - KDA: 8/1/13 Damage: 11785 (http://youtu.be/foiqiX1AEeI)
Freeport Video #2 - KDA: 12/5/7 Damage: 17413 (http://youtu.be/jyRbVh4czZQ)

VALEHOLM:
Soon ™

PROVANCE:
Provance Video #1 - KDA: 10/3/6 Damage: 10296 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_zS9y8bOts&feature=youtu.be)

THE FANE:
The Fane Video #1 - KDA: 14/1/5 Damage: 15071 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftN9EiKFQk8)

TWITCH VIDEO LINKS:
The KKLL - Kidnap, Kidnap, Leap, Leap (Mature Language Warning) (http://www.twitch.tv/talespinlol/c/4321668)

Small explanation for this one is that Talespin was recording, and I was the Sentinel named "ras". I managed to Abduct a person that was falling from coolmart69's Kidnap, then Talespin and ras finished him with a double Leap Attack.

Back to top.

BR0sephStalin
28th Jul 2014, 01:57
Looking forward to reading the guide when it is complete. For new players wondering about the quality/credibility of this Raz is probably the best vamp players I've played against in the game.

Bettik
28th Jul 2014, 03:19
ECHOLOCATION [...] there is no reason for it to be used in it's current state.
QFT ☺

Sasha_Vykos
28th Jul 2014, 11:39
Thank you! This is the best guide I have ever read.. and it's not finished yet.. I'm looking forward to read the other parts!

A question/consideration.. don't you think that wing flap is quite a bit easier to use than puncture? The stun is very usefull for me because I generally try to hit a human, wing flap him, roll close to him (after the stun) and try to finish him. Puncture doesn't have the ability to stun and it's more difficoult to use because wing flap has a better radius (not mentioning the aoe). Said that, probably puncture is more effective if used properly.

RazielWarmonic
28th Jul 2014, 17:25
Looking forward to reading the guide when it is complete. For new players wondering about the quality/credibility of this Raz is probably the best vamp players I've played against in the game.

Thank you! This is the best guide I have ever read.. and it's not finished yet.. I'm looking forward to read the other parts!
Aww gee, thanks! (ノ)ยด∀`(ヾ) I didn't know people were looking forward to this, I will have to try my best to finish it a lil' faster then! Also thank you, this is my first time writing a guide so I'm just learning as I go along here.

A question/consideration.. don't you think that wing flap is quite a bit easier to use than puncture?
I did not consider this since it has been months since I have last used Wing Flap really effectively, but I agree wholeheartedly. Wing Flap is a million times easier to use, and if you can't land Puncture then that is a lot of damage taken away. Both are honestly viable options, this is one of those times where you can say "your preference is based on play style" here. I can't accurately describe your play style so if Wing Flap does more for you than Puncture - By all means, please keep using it! And I'll add that note to the Wing Flap section, thanks!

GonarTrvig
28th Jul 2014, 18:11
I just can say, thank you, thank you for this guide! Even if is not completed yet, I'm finding it really useful! I didn't know about the keys to advanced flying, and I can't wait to try it in game... If I don't get killed a lot in the try, that's it :P. Anyway, the videos are really helpful as well, specially The Fane which is hard to play to me with any class (though as a big fan of Raziel I love it at the same time). And also, THANKS for showing your deaths. I think is a good way to show people that no matter how good you are, you can be killed... And, personally, will make myself less concerned about that and more about practising to be, if not a really good sentinel, at least a decent one.

Again, as a sentinel player and a a fan, thank you for this tutorial :).

Sorrowgate
28th Jul 2014, 19:05
The guide's looking great so far, easy to read and it even has pictures :O it's nice to see that you use the same loadout as me too :P poke damage/assassin Sentinel all the time!

I didn't notice any mention of deactivating and reactivating flight in the sections that this would fit under (and I don't think it fits into the incomplete sections) but what about using spacebar as a flight maneuver? You can deactivate flight to drop down and then reactivate flight again while falling. It's probably similar to just tilting your camera downwards but it also changes the composure of your Sentinel and has helped me duke quite a few shots and drop behind cover without flying back out again thanks to the extra speed.

RazielWarmonic
28th Jul 2014, 19:14
I didn't notice any mention of deactivating and reactivating flight in the sections that this would fit under (and I don't think it fits into the incomplete sections) but what about using spacebar as a flight maneuver? You can deactivate flight to drop down and then reactivate flight again while falling. It's probably similar to just tilting your camera downwards but it also changes the composure of your Sentinel and has helped me duke quite a few shots and drop behind cover without flying back out again thanks to the extra speed.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I never really thought about it as it's kind of a reflex thing to me but I'll make mention of it in appropriate sections. Not all sections are done, even if they appear to be, people just seemed really eager to read/comment on the guide. :P But thanks for pointing that out!

Sorrowgate
28th Jul 2014, 19:35
I know exactly what you are talking about. I never really thought about it as it's kind of a reflex thing to me but I'll make mention of it in appropriate sections. Not all sections are done, even if they appear to be, people just seemed really eager to read/comment on the guide. :P But thanks for pointing that out!

Haha, Sentinel is my favourite class so I was very eager to jump on this guide when the thread was opened, but I read "please don't comment yet" and decided to wait until somebody else had. Love the flying section in general by the way, it's what came to me naturally so it's nice to see that a few people consider gliding between rooftops and not flying to be the real way to fly.

cmstache
29th Jul 2014, 00:14
I am also looking forward to this. The beginner guides aren't designed to be used for competitive play. They are designed to help bridge the gap for newbie to intermediate play. That being said, we don't have any "advanced" guides yet. Judging by the length this might be a good read. :) Best of luck Raz. Let me know if you need help with anything, although it looks good so far.

Castner
29th Jul 2014, 16:20
There have been a few instances where i've used abduct to fly to great effect. I was standing on a building and a guy below me was low health. I ended up jumping off and using abduct to fly. Ended up nabbing him and killing him. Is about the only instance I can think of that it works and the risk vs reward is a little slewed in risks favor but the end result is all that matters. Def not something I would suggest doing on a regular basis though. Was more of a split second decision. (and i got greedy).

GonarTrvig
29th Jul 2014, 21:09
I already commented here before, but right now I'd like to do it with a question: Will your guide explain eventually how to use properly Kidnap/Abduct? Because, even if I'm playing a bit better with the Sentinel since I read about the advanced flying, I'm still struggling a lot with that. And sometimes is a bit frustrating when I see (and experiment myself as human) how can a sentinel grab me even while I'm rolling or he's passing slightly to my side, while when I try most of times I can't grab anyone even when the human is right in front of me ;_;

So, yeah, I think that some tricks and explanations about how to use it better it would be handy to clumsy people like me.

Again, thanks for your hard work making this guide :).

RazielWarmonic
30th Jul 2014, 16:18
There have been a few instances where i've used abduct to fly to great effect. I was standing on a building and a guy below me was low health. I ended up jumping off and using abduct to fly.
I will talk about this a lil' more when I write the 'combat' section of the guide. I'm going to try and expand on how to properly use abilities in fights.

I already commented here before, but right now I'd like to do it with a question: Will your guide explain eventually how to use properly Kidnap/Abduct? Because, even if I'm playing a bit better with the Sentinel since I read about the advanced flying, I'm still struggling a lot with that.

Yes! I most certainly will. Your problem sounds more like latency/lag issues, but regardless I can go over those when I do write the combat section.

Unfortunately the combat section may not come for a couple of days, life is getting super busy super quick over here. This is just something I am working on when I have down time (and don't necessarily feel like playing Nosgoth). I thank you all for taking the time to read and comment, I am eager to finish this too so I'll try my best!

Thanks everyone!
-Warmonic

blincoln
2nd Aug 2014, 21:21
Thanks for posting those videos. Watching them, I think there may be a bug in the game regarding Kidnap/Abduct.
I have literally never gotten it to work ever since the developers started changing their behaviour around the end of alpha/beginning of beta timeframe. I assumed that there was some "trick" I wasn't figuring out, but you seem to use it exactly like I've been trying to, which is basically the same way that it worked in the earlier versions of the alpha - except that now there's a charge-up and the camera is different than it used to be.
The difference for me is that after the charge-up finishes, I just skate around above the heads of the other players, as if there's an invisible floor right above them.
About the lowest latency I ever get is 110ms ping, so maybe it is somehow lag-related, as you suggest. Whatever the cause, at least now I know I'm not going to succeed and should just play another class :\.

GonarTrvig
2nd Aug 2014, 21:45
After some time playing, I'm pretty sure you're right, and my problem is about the lag. I just watched again one of your videos, and I noticed that your movements are as smooth as silk. In my case, the game doesn't freeze precisely (only with explosions and all), but with the comparison my game seems to go more... Slow motion, even "lazy", dunno if I can explain myself. Probably is because my PC only covers the minimum requisites to run the game, plus the lag problems that the game already has (specially in The Fade... Is the only map when I usually get more than 100 latency, when usually I get 40-56 more or less.

Anyway, seems like my only hope is to someday being able to save enough money to buy a new PC able to run smoothly the game, or cross my fingers hoping that, once the servers will run better, I won't have so many problems with that. Until then, I'll still play with the Sentinel the best I can, and use this guide as reference (still need to get better in melee combat though, even with the lag).

Mangaroca
15th Aug 2014, 09:56
Great Guide! Please, keep up the great work!

RazielWarmonic
20th Aug 2014, 05:12
UPDATE;
Three new videos:
2 Freeport, 1 Provance

- COMBAT SECTION WILL COME AFTER PAX PRIME, SORRY GUYS!

Webb3y
22nd Aug 2014, 21:55
This is an amazing guide. It really brought to light the things I was doing wrong. Can't wait to read more!

blincoln
8th Sep 2014, 14:12
FWIW, with one of the last two updates, the two grabbing abilities started working for me again. I'm not sure if that was an intentional bugfix or a coincidence, but it's neat to be able to play as the Sentinel again.

Razihel2
9th Sep 2014, 01:53
Nice guide for beginners, really appreciate it =)

I like how you fly - way faster than me. gonna learn it :D

how ever i must say you play the sentinel a little bit different than me. You do not initiate fights and simply wait for a good chance to go in. Its easy for beginners to do so but you hope for someone to go in first and die for you. I see the Sentinel more as a initiator because we have the best ability to make people miss - unless there is a scout with an aimbot but this is a little different i guess. We can fly in and fly out while forcing cooldowns or at least a position change and a reload or two.

My spec is: Abduct, Puncture, Takeoff and Undying Wisdom.

I play often in solo que and my strategy is always the same. Ask a reaver, you have mostly one, to force their scout to move with his cloude, it doesn't matter which one he uses. After the scout moves start to run you go in and get anyone, if possible the scout, after you Abduct him you land close to him and kill him or hit him at least once. After one or two melee attacks your Abduct is close to be ready again. If you are in luck someone will bola you than you use your takeoff and go in again if not use the takeoff to do 100 dmg to the enemy. Go back to the enemy and Abduct someone else and finish him off. In most cases i can go in first and deal 500-2000 dmg depending on melee attacks.

Now if i don't have any reavers i will simply go in use my Abduct just to make people nervous and fly out. This way the tyrant/deceiver have a chance to move in while people are focused on me. It doesn't matter who is on my team, unless we are 4 sentinels :P

With my strategy i initiate, force movement, create opportunities and force people to react. This way i increase my winning chance and don't hope for a good team because i will make any team good if i get someone to use any poison cloud =)

Necrozuki
9th Sep 2014, 02:21
I just finished up watching one of your gameplay videos and I notice whenever you drop people from abduct, you pull up into the air much higher than I do in game. Do you push your mouse up or press W or do you have some kind of secret special krabby patty recipe? :P

YaronMS
9th Sep 2014, 09:37
how ever i must say you play the sentinel a little bit different than me. You do not initiate fights and simply wait for a good chance to go in. Its easy for beginners to do so but you hope for someone to go in first and die for you. I see the Sentinel more as a initiator because we have the best ability to make people miss - unless there is a scout with an aimbot but this is a little different i guess. We can fly in and fly out while forcing cooldowns or at least a position change and a reload or two.

My spec is: Abduct, Puncture, Takeoff and Undying Wisdom.

Hi Razihel2,

the way i see the build RazielWarmonic is suggesting to use works quite similar to yours, but without the need of a reaver doing the distraction. Airstrike does the same as Choking haze, doesn't it? The downside to her build is that you can't abduct a second time that easily.

Regards Yaron

Razihel2
9th Sep 2014, 17:13
i think i need to be more specific :)

i only need help if i play against lvl 40 scouts or people with aimbots. And no Choking haze is not the same as Airstrike - simply because Choking Haze makes an area not accessible for the enemy. If someone will throw a grenade i can take the damage and still not move while the blind/poison will make you miss.

I think it depends: is your enemy good at shooting you down ? are they always in houses ? are they in open area ?

but like RazielWarmonic said: stay in open area and you are more safe against Sentinels. Trust me every good Sentinel can fly upstairs it doesn't matter to us :P

Duffie7
17th Oct 2014, 19:23
I'd love to see a quick video explaining air dodge boosting. I get the general concept, but I see other sentinels pull it off much more effectively than myself.

Lizzy86
24th Oct 2014, 04:29
THE FANE:
The Fane Video #1 - KDA: 14/1/5 Damage: 15071 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftN9EiKFQk8)

Lol I noticted I am in the video too the 2nd time I watched it xD. I was the hunter Syrath, gg it was ^^

But great video it will really help ppl who want to play Sentinel more. Really nice job this guide *thumbsup*
I'm currently KDA 1842/824/1514 on Sentinel altho I still have trouble finishing ppl off on the ground, but seen you charge attack when you land and there is my fault, I land and walk and normal attack.

Blastin_Foolz
27th Oct 2014, 08:05
Post #6, image 3, Airstrike image.

Good stuff.

Nuttydread
27th Oct 2014, 15:54
An excellent guide. From a fellow sentinel player, (this is my most played vampire class at level 20+) this is the sort of thing that would have helped a lot when I first started with the class. At times the game can feel like it has has steep learning curve and this helps a lot with that.

MasterShuriko
7th Dec 2014, 23:38
Great guide!

RazielWarmonic
13th Jan 2015, 23:08
Been a while since I've updated this, but I just got done with a Sentinel Flying Guide and thought ya'll would like to know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaARdB2YZKI

:)

(and if any mods can remove the "UNDER CONSTRUCTION" part of my post title, I would appreciate it, thought I could edit after... d'oh!)

RazielWarmonic
13th Mar 2015, 21:24
I promise I'll finish this... eventually... maybe.... heh.