PDA

View Full Version : Question for Devs - Game Pad vs M/K Playlists?

TheBaltar
9th Jan 2015, 00:09
Hey guys, just started playing recently and I love the game and I got 3 friends to buy it before the founders packs went off - and every single one of them uses gamepads. I do as well.

We see the difference between our performance and mouse users in kill cams and videos and I just wanted to ask a question to the developers - I realize gamepad was not your first choice for this game, and I absolutely understand why - but, there is a market of us who want to use gamepads and don't want to be ritualistically destroyed by m/k players.

Is there any discussion with the dev team about allowing gamepad users to be placed into separate games than M/K users? The game seems to instantly realize when I move my mouse vs touch my joystick - can you just disable the M/K functionality in a playlist for your fans who don't want to be using M/K? There is a market for folks like us and we love this game - BUT - we will not be able to play long as the M/K users get better and stomp us into submission.

I can very effectively kill with the gamepad, Im not asking for Aim Assist or anything, literally - no gameplay changes - Just a controllers only playlist.

Make it not ranked, its fine - I just want the game to support a playstyle that it already does, without putting it at a gigantic disadvantage. My friends will not continue playing if their lot in the game is to get decimated by M/K users.. and they wont switch. I know, a lot of M/K users don't understand, but I like to play sitting on my floor directly in front of my tv and a M/K is not an option with how I play video games.

So - Nosgoth Devs - Is there any discussion internally about us? We will spend money, there are a lot of us, and as the game grows, this will only help the company's bottom line by becoming a more attractive option to a subset of gamers.

I just wanted to say thanks for the fantastic game, you guys, unlike most Devs, I truly believe have a vision for a fantastic asymmetrical multiplayer experience, the likes of which I haven't seen since Spies vs Mercs in Pandora and Chaos Theory so I beg you - please, please consider creating this option. Some of my friends, not even just the 3 I already converted - will become lifelong fans when they see what you have created here. You guys are obviously gamers and you have some fantastic ideas.. We just want to enjoy the game our way, not affect or hurt anyone else's experience.

Thank you for your time!

EDIT: I want to add - I know the fear of 'splitting' the player base across playlists is there - but I do not think this player base (controller players ) will stick around very long in general if they are getting destroyed each match. This is about creating another player base that the game would never have had with bare minimum development time necessary. This could expand the game, not constrain it. There will continue to be plenty of M/K players if the game is quality - look at some games on PC that have survived a decade or more - but the controller players will turn very fickle when they realize they are genuinely outmatched... and they will leave, thus shrinking the game, its potential profits - and its potential growth, for all us. I want to see this game succeed very, very badly. I want tons of DLC, I want tons of classes, I want it all and it needs to show growth for us to get that. I do not think this will make the game have less players due to separating them, it will increase the base amount of players by allowing people to play that never would have stuck around.

Long edit there, thanks again for your time guys!

Celeress
9th Jan 2015, 17:29
A separate playlist just for gamepad users is pretty dumb IMO. It's a PC game so the majority will be using a mouse and keyboard. It's your choice to use a controller and just because you get "stomped" by M/K users doesn't mean you should get your own playlist.

I don't really see a problem with adding support for controllers but you're not any more special for using one; should be matched the same as everyone else.

FireWorks_
9th Jan 2015, 19:52
You will get your own queue in the sense of a working matchmaking that puts you against players that perform equally well. IF the MM will work at some point in the distant future.

DunhamSmash
10th Jan 2015, 00:36
Hey guys, just started playing recently and I love the game and I got 3 friends to buy it before the founders packs went off - and every single one of them uses gamepads. I do as well.

We see the difference between our performance and mouse users in kill cams and videos and I just wanted to ask a question to the developers - I realize gamepad was not your first choice for this game, and I absolutely understand why - but, there is a market of us who want to use gamepads and don't want to be ritualistically destroyed by m/k players.

Is there any discussion with the dev team about allowing gamepad users to be placed into separate games than M/K users? The game seems to instantly realize when I move my mouse vs touch my joystick - can you just disable the M/K functionality in a playlist for your fans who don't want to be using M/K? There is a market for folks like us and we love this game - BUT - we will not be able to play long as the M/K users get better and stomp us into submission.

I can very effectively kill with the gamepad, Im not asking for Aim Assist or anything, literally - no gameplay changes - Just a controllers only playlist.

Make it not ranked, its fine - I just want the game to support a playstyle that it already does, without putting it at a gigantic disadvantage. My friends will not continue playing if their lot in the game is to get decimated by M/K users.. and they wont switch. I know, a lot of M/K users don't understand, but I like to play sitting on my floor directly in front of my tv and a M/K is not an option with how I play video games.

So - Nosgoth Devs - Is there any discussion internally about us? We will spend money, there are a lot of us, and as the game grows, this will only help the company's bottom line by becoming a more attractive option to a subset of gamers.

I just wanted to say thanks for the fantastic game, you guys, unlike most Devs, I truly believe have a vision for a fantastic asymmetrical multiplayer experience, the likes of which I haven't seen since Spies vs Mercs in Pandora and Chaos Theory so I beg you - please, please consider creating this option. Some of my friends, not even just the 3 I already converted - will become lifelong fans when they see what you have created here. You guys are obviously gamers and you have some fantastic ideas.. We just want to enjoy the game our way, not affect or hurt anyone else's experience.

Thank you for your time!

EDIT: I want to add - I know the fear of 'splitting' the player base across playlists is there - but I do not think this player base (controller players ) will stick around very long in general if they are getting destroyed each match. This is about creating another player base that the game would never have had with bare minimum development time necessary. This could expand the game, not constrain it. There will continue to be plenty of M/K players if the game is quality - look at some games on PC that have survived a decade or more - but the controller players will turn very fickle when they realize they are genuinely outmatched... and they will leave, thus shrinking the game, its potential profits - and its potential growth, for all us. I want to see this game succeed very, very badly. I want tons of DLC, I want tons of classes, I want it all and it needs to show growth for us to get that. I do not think this will make the game have less players due to separating them, it will increase the base amount of players by allowing people to play that never would have stuck around.

Long edit there, thanks again for your time guys!

Very detailed question, so it feels a little weird giving such a short answer, but no, we haven't considered adding a controller-specific playlist.

The #1 reason is the same reasons that others have listed -- it would split the audience. The more playlists you have, the more difficult matchmaking becomes and you end up creating an endless cycle of waiting for a game to start pretty quickly (especially in a closed beta phase like the one we have now).

As the audience grows and demand (and/or need) for a specific play list grows with it, then we could potentially explore the possibility. But again, it would really have to be something that wouldn't take away from matchmaking as a whole.

FireWorks_
10th Jan 2015, 14:08
Very detailed question, so it feels a little weird giving such a short answer, but no, we haven't considered adding a controller-specific playlist.

The #1 reason is the same reasons that others have listed -- it would split the audience. The more playlists you have, the more difficult matchmaking becomes and you end up creating an endless cycle of waiting for a game to start pretty quickly (especially in a closed beta phase like the one we have now).

As the audience grows and demand (and/or need) for a specific play list grows with it, then we could potentially explore the possibility. But again, it would really have to be something that wouldn't take away from matchmaking as a whole.

Maybe change the mindset to a more inclusive one? I am guilty of "gtfo with your controllers" too but...

it would be so easy to just add them the NORMAL matchmaking queue and give them a lower value. So "bad" M/K met relativly equal controllers. (Remember to include an instant kick when controller gets removed/isnt used to fight abuse)

Example:
Joe wants to play controller today. His MMR gets -330(?) and there he goes.
Later hes back on M/K cause (it feels better :P) and he can play on with normal MMR.

Conclusion: More players in the dire playerbase. Better than alienating them.
Any of your programmers would be able to code develop and code that in half a day (including extensive cofe breaks).