PDA

View Full Version : Please sell referral skins in store

PencileyePirate
7th Jan 2015, 19:09
^ see above. There's no way in hell I can refer 25 people, since everyone on my friends list already plays.

MasterShuriko
7th Jan 2015, 19:11
And I dont use Community pages like, Facebook, twitter, instagram and such. (I´m a caveman...and I like it!)

Razaiim
7th Jan 2015, 19:58
It is harder for older players, who have already gifted or sent keys and such, to find enough bodies for referral. I can say that any of my friends that are interested in playing this game, are indeed playing this game.

PencileyePirate
7th Jan 2015, 20:02
And I dont use Community pages like, Facebook, twitter, instagram and such. (I´m a caveman...and I like it!)

I can't tell if you're being serious or calling me a caveman.

MasterShuriko
7th Jan 2015, 20:05
I can't tell if you're being serious or calling me a caveman.

I´m deadserious I dont use such sites. Ask any of my friends who nags on me everyday for it.

Driber
7th Jan 2015, 20:33
I'm not using FB, Twitter, etc for myself, either. I guess I'm a caveman, too :D

MasterShuriko
7th Jan 2015, 20:44
I'm not using FB, Twitter, etc for myself, either. I guess I'm a caveman, too :D

:friends:

snejjjj
7th Jan 2015, 21:56
senseless, cause enough closed beta keys out there, and open beta starts soon. some streamer will may hit 25

FireWorks_
7th Jan 2015, 22:15
Another caveman here... I managed to get the counter of the ref site to 11 over the last 2 weeks. None hit lv20 and 1 guy even insulted me for wasting his time with this game.

Im puzzled how to get 25 people to play on lv20.

PencileyePirate
7th Jan 2015, 23:43
I´m deadserious I dont use such sites. Ask any of my friends who nags on me everyday for it.

Ah, I took it the other way at first. :scratch: Anyhow ... I agree with you as a fellow internet caveman.

senseless, cause enough closed beta keys out there, and open beta starts soon. some streamer will may hit 25

Yep. I'm salty because I paid for the original coloring of that Sentinel skin, but prefer the new one ... and I have no way to get it. I don't know how anyone other than the popular streamers have a chance.

Maybe I should just start spamming random gaming forums with Nosgoth referral links?

Saikocat
8th Jan 2015, 10:58
Hi guys

There is no plan to sell those skins at this time, but I'll share your feedback about all of this with the team!

FireWorks_
8th Jan 2015, 11:36
Or maybe the beta key system gets shut down so people will search and use the referral links instead.

Is there a way to see the progress of the referred players?
How do we know that someone reaches the level requirement?
Will there be a notification when reaching a reward step?

Enlightened_Fool
8th Jan 2015, 16:05
Buying the skins outright would defeat the purpose of them being a referral reward.
While I use all the normal social sites(fb/twitter/etc), I don't know anyone on those that even really plays games(especially for the pc), so it is hard for me to get people to refer to play.
I don't know how close we are to being in open beta, but if that is relatively close(like a few months), it will be harder to get people to use referrals when they plainly do not need a player to get them in and they can just dl+play the game themselves from Steam.

I doubt we can just see the progress of the person we referred, but when we hit any reward markers I would assume we just get the reward added to our account/inventory.

Of course, there is always the long and hard way- make 25 smurf accounts and level them up yourself.

PencileyePirate
8th Jan 2015, 17:19
Buying the skins outright would defeat the purpose of them being a referral reward.

No it wouldn't; those who get the referrals are rewarded by not having to pay.

Of course, there is always the long and hard way- make 25 smurf accounts and level them up yourself.

Seems like the shorter easier method to me.

Enlightened_Fool
8th Jan 2015, 17:52
No it wouldn't; those who get the referrals are rewarded by not having to pay.

If you mean by them not having to pay to enter into closed beta, you can't anymore, so you referring/inviting them into playing is its own reward for them. Since you cannot currently pay for the special skin, the reward can't just be having to not pay for it.

Paying to get the "special referral skin" does indeed defeat the point of it even being a "special referral skin" reward in the first place, and defeats it even being a reward in of itself for you for referring new players.

RainaAudron
8th Jan 2015, 17:55
My honest opinion on this new "unobtainable" skin reward and the requirement of getting 25 friends to lv20 is that it is highly unrealistic to expect anybody to get it and whoever thought of that was not in entirely in touch with reality. I´d say maybe 5 would have been at least somewhat reasonable. I do hope that this requirement gets altered.

Enlightened_Fool
8th Jan 2015, 18:06
My honest opinion on this new "unobtainable" skin reward and the requirement of getting 25 friends to lv20 is that it is highly unrealistic to expect anybody to get it and whoever thought of that was not in entirely in touch with reality. I´d say maybe 5 would have been at least somewhat reasonable. I do hope that this requirement gets altered.
Yeah either drop total number of players or the level requirement, or maybe just drop both- maybe say 5-15 players to level 10-15. Level 10 is when you can't play in the new player servers, so about there would have been a good lvl req. I don't think they had unrealistic expectations, but I think referrals were just implemented way, way, way too late in the closed alpha/beta.
If when I joined the alpha I could refer players, I might actually have gotten close to the skin reward. Also the same goes for if referrals were in effect, and less beta keys were given away from sites and founder packs, but still had articles on gaming sites like pc gamer(where I got my key from) for publicity.

Lord_Aevum
8th Jan 2015, 18:29
I would be pretty surprised to see even one referred person manage to achieve level 20 in Nosgoth. This skin award is demanding that 25 people reach that point? There has to be some mistake.

FireWorks_
8th Jan 2015, 18:49
The last referral system I got in touch in was from SOE (Sony Online Entertainment). Their recruitment table ask similar numbers: https://recruit.soe.com/

Highest reward at 25 referred players, BUT they have to have spent at least $10/€ 9,00/£ 8,00.
Not sure which one is better tbh... I just know I took pride in not spending money on my Rank99 Planetside2 soldier. Way more fun to own house if you havent paid for all the advantages others got. Each 1000certs spent in a different gun instead of your equipment upgrade hurt. Weeks and months of being just ground farm to them before you could counter a flyer that bought his rockets in the first minute of the game. Ahh good bad times :D

PencileyePirate
8th Jan 2015, 21:27
Paying to get the "special referral skin" does indeed defeat the point of it even being a "special referral skin" reward in the first place, and defeats it even being a reward in of itself for you for referring new players.

No, it really does nothing to defeat the point of it being a reward; it just makes the reward less exclusive.

If you mean the reward is only "special" by being exclusive, well I'm sorry, but ultra-exclusive rewards aren't a good thing (except for the special few who actually get them.) Many of the players who like the skin(s) are just going to feel annoyed or cheated.

FireWorks_
9th Jan 2015, 10:11
http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/news/game-updates/features/upcoming-changes-refer-friend

The TL;DR for those of you who just want to get back into game: we’re making some changes to Refer-a-Friend in the upcoming weeks to combat abuses like botting and fraud.

We started RAF to reward players for their part in growing League. Refer-a-Friend has quite the history at this point, with multiple incarnations dating back to the original launch of the game, and it’s been a rewarding experience for lots of players.

However, despite the best intentions of almost everyone, a small group of people have severely abused the system, creating negative play experiences for others, particularly new players.

Any rewards program like RAF runs the risk of some participants trying to game the system, and ordinarily we might tolerate low levels of fringe misuse if it meant we were still doing right by the vast majority of players. However, RAF abuse was increasingly degrading the average players' experience, forcing us to contemplate changes.

We’ll start with the symptoms of RAF abuse - things like account selling and botting (i.e. the use of scripts, programs, or other hacks to automate playing a game of League of Legends). The two are closely related in the case of RAF, as botting referrals enables account sellers to create accounts loaded with currency and skins.

In the past, RAF botting mostly took place in private custom games, where players’ experiences weren’t affected. However, as we said, we've recently seen bot usage swell in volume and spill into places like new player games and into game modes like Dominion. We'll be taking action against an array of offenders with the goal of stemming this trend. Additionally, to most effectively combat this type of botting we have to widen our toolkit to include more than just reactive measures like bans.

Ultimately, the best way to attack RAF abuse is to address the underlying symptoms that make it attractive to abuse in the first place. Specifically, the key cause of most misuse is actually the nature of the program itself.

Basically, abusers could make a ton of RP and real money by conducting large-scale botting for the purpose of selling accounts. Worse still, the average player faces a dilemma where attractive rewards like Grey Warwick and Medieval Twitch are prohibitively difficult to obtain honestly.

Let’s talk numbers. We found that while only about 1.4% of RAF participants attempt to abuse the system, if we isolate accounts with 10 or more referrals the percentage jumps to 70%, and then skyrockets to 99% when you count only those with 100 or more referrals. Consider that Grey Warwick and Medieval Twitch currently require 25 and 50 referrals, respectively, and the issue is clear. We understand that the current RAF reward structure isn’t ideal for the average player, which is why the reactive efforts we mentioned earlier are focused specifically on dedicated and repeated offenders - no one's going to be punished for referring a smurf or two.

We're working on updates to the Refer-a-Friend program to simultaneously remove incentives for abuse and better serve most League players. One of the key issues here is that it’s difficult for a single program to fully meet the needs of both the average player who might refer a couple friends and a hypothetical YouTube personality who might refer thousands.

We found that the majority of League players refer between one and five friends, and we’ve designed the RAF update to reward you for bringing those friends into the game. With the new update, for every friend you refer who reaches level 10, you’ll earn 1000 IP. You can refer a total of five friends, and with three successful referrals, you’ll unlock the Grey Warwick skin. Recruit five friends and you’ll unlock Medieval Twitch.

There are no additional rewards to earn, and everyone who has participated in Refer-a-Friend in the past will be transferred to the new program with the same number of referrals as they currently have. For example, if you’ve already referred four friends, you’ll earn 4000 IP and Grey Warwick.

As you can see with the plans for the updated Refer-a-Friend, we’re still looking into separate ways of rewarding the highest-volume referrers that don't compromise the experiences of everyone else.

Keep in mind that these changes are focused specifically on combating RAF misuse and its impact on the average player. Botting, account selling, and other forms of fraud have causes beyond RAF, and we continue to cast a wide net when it comes to investigating and fighting them.

We wanted to give to you a heads up on upcoming changes to RAF as well as give you some insight into the motivations behind what we’re doing. Please leave your comments or feedback below!

Their system got **** up by abuse and bottom line is that you need 5 referrals for the big reward (our skin).

They have the problem of bots, we will have accounts by veterans. Both ruin the experience of new players hard.

This concept is counter productive for the game as a whole

LorenCole
9th Jan 2015, 10:53

Same for me, I have a twitter account because two years ago when I was working in news blog and they asked me to make it. I don't have a Facebook page, I don't have a channel on Youtube and never heard of Instagram XD

Gugulug5000
10th Jan 2015, 21:59
A possible alternative to making it so you have to refer 25 people and get them to level 20 could be to make the referral system count the total number of levels of the people who were referred. For example, they could make it so if you refer 100 total levels of people, then you unlock the skins. That way if you referred several people who reached level 40, then they count a lot more than someone who only plays a little bit. So ten level 10s could do it, or three level 30s and a level 10, etc. That seems much more reasonable to me than 25 people reaching level 20 (a total of 500 levels). Of course, the total number required could change (150 or 200 would probably still not be too bad).

It would also be awesome if Psyonix implemented a way for people to go back and say who referred them, so that people who already referred all of their friends don't miss out on the nifty skins.