PDA

View Full Version : Another 'Lets go save Sam' game? -_-

Gitb97
31st Dec 2014, 03:28
So i've been reading articles and trying to find details on the game because obviously i'm eager and all, but loads of websites are suggesting she's after a relic to yet again - save the biggest tool in gaming history (in my opinion.) Sam. Like, seriously? We already saved this chick once. Twice? Sam is literally becoming Lara's mum to me - a character i'm sick to death of.
One website I looked at was this (http://www.crossmap.com/news/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-pc-xbox-one-ps4-release-date-lara-croft-sets-on-a-globetrotting-adventure-15176) and there's some others but its like 3am so i'm not in the mood to go searching, but I wanted to know what everyone thinks? I'm obviously aggravated by it, the trailer was spectacular and for this to be the storyline is a MASSIVE let down...

Chocolate_shake
31st Dec 2014, 06:36
I am tired of 'saving others' plot line being overused too .

However as far as rise is concerned , there has been no indication that Lara is out to save someone . From the official press release -

In her first adventure, Lara Croft was forged into a true survivor, but she glimpsed a deeper, secret world. Obsessed by what she has seen, Lara is now threatened by a shadow organization intent on killing her for what she knows. She is pushed to her physical and mental limits as she seeks the truth buried deep within the tombs of an ancient world. To unravel the mystery of a Lost City, Lara must use her survival skills and wits, learn to trust new friends, and ultimately accept her destiny as the Tomb Raider.

Sounds Tomb raiderish enough for me

TSUSMC9
31st Dec 2014, 07:21
If she were to be saving anyone, at least at this point in the comics as they are leading to RotTR, it seems that Kaz would be a likely substitute. That doesn't count Sam out though.

As already stated, nothing has indicated that Lara will be saving anyone as she did in the Reboot. The only thing I have to go off of is the comics and what little has actually been addressed by those working on TR. So we can hope that they'll just surprise us all with something none of us could of ever guessed.

WinterSoldierLTE
31st Dec 2014, 10:44
I wouldn't believe it until an official story synopsis comes out from CD for press releases. What you said sounds like the "10,000 Immortals" book. Maybe whoever you got the info from was talking about that.

Driber
31st Dec 2014, 10:59
They used this as the article's illustration?

http://cdn.crossmap.com/images/2/36/23631.jpg

You just know it's going to be a crappy article then :p

Gitb97
31st Dec 2014, 12:35
They used this as the article's illustration?

You just know it's going to be a crappy article then :p
heh heh heh true :p

I wouldn't believe it until an official story synopsis comes out from CD for press releases. What you said sounds like the "10,000 Immortals" book. Maybe whoever you got the info from was talking about that.

Yeah, I've seen it a few times and was getting really annoyed at the thought of saving her again >.<

Rai
31st Dec 2014, 14:08
I figured the source would be this article :p. The article is trying to suggest the game is based off the novel's story, which, if anyone has been paying attention, knows this is not true. The novel is set before the comics and if you read the comics will know that Sam is okay (well ish in the 1st arc). There is a 3rd arc to go before Rise. So tell me, how is the game going to take on the novel's story? It just doesn't make sense :p. Seems to me, the article writer has not been paying attention and just threw something together to gain attention. It's worked as it's done the rounds on TRF and now this forum.:hmm:

AlexWeiss
31st Dec 2014, 20:44
I believe I know the article you're talking about, and Rai is right, they keep getting confused that they're using the novel's storyline in the game (which would be stupid considering there would be nothing about the game that makes it special if we already know what's about to happen). The website the article is on (assuming you're referring to the same one as I am) never really has accurate information and it makes me want to apply for a job there so they could have a journalist who could at least do a Google search :mad2:

In her first adventure, Lara Croft was forged into a true survivor, but she glimpsed a deeper, secret world. Obsessed by what she has seen, Lara is now threatened by a shadow organization intent on killing her for what she knows. She is pushed to her physical and mental limits as she seeks the truth buried deep within the tombs of an ancient world. To unravel the mystery of a Lost City, Lara must use her survival skills and wits, learn to trust new friends, and ultimately accept her destiny as the Tomb Raider.

This is the most accurate, and so far what we know is that the secret organisation is presumably Trinity (which I hope becomes more interesting in the comics into the game) and the ancient world has been hinted to be the Lost Colony of Roanoke (1590), as the word 'Croatoan' was written inside of Lara's book at the end of the game, and the map on the inside of it is similar to maps linked on Wikipedia pages (I know, not a completely valid source) relating to the Lost Colony.

EDIT: I totally forgot about this (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=137702), a thread where basically everyone decoded what was inside of Lara's journal that I mentioned, potentially leading to plot points regarding the next game that'll be way more accurate than that article. I'm quite impressed with all of the people there, the thread even includes translations of the Cyrillic and German writing on the inside and how it possibly fits into things.

Error96_
5th Jan 2015, 00:27
I have always thought that 'I only play for sport' is one of TR's greatest lines. The want to add a parents story or saving Sam just isn't needed. The closer that it gets to Lara doing this because she wants to the better.

Tecstar70
5th Jan 2015, 11:18
I am happy for Sam to disappear. I want Lara to move on.

Valenka
5th Jan 2015, 17:17
I wouldn't believe anything that doesn't come from the horse's mouth, as it were. I don't care how big of a website one might be, no one knows more about ROTTR than one's neighbour.

With that being said, though, I'm sick of Sam. Like, at this point, I would throw a party if she died.

Gitb97
5th Jan 2015, 18:38
I am happy for Sam to disappear. I want Lara to move on.

Yeah, Lara dwelling on Sam is just...a buzzkill? Not sure if I used that right but if she ever comes back as the damsel in distress i'll probably snap my disk in half or just not buy it at all. There's a Sam fanbase but lets be honest, how many of us actually do like Sam?

I wouldn't believe anything that doesn't come from the horse's mouth, as it were. I don't care how big of a website one might be, no one knows more about ROTTR than one's neighbour.

With that being said, though, I'm sick of Sam. Like, at this point, I would throw a party if she died.

True, nothing has been released since the trailer. They should kill Sam off just to clarify she ain't ever coming back :p

I have always thought that 'I only play for sport' is one of TR's greatest lines. The want to add a parents story or saving Sam just isn't needed. The closer that it gets to Lara doing this because she wants to the better.

NOSTALGIA. Makes me wanna play tr1 *or* anniversary. *-*

I figured the source would be this article :p. The article is trying to suggest the game is based off the novel's story, which, if anyone has been paying attention, knows this is not true. The novel is set before the comics and if you read the comics will know that Sam is okay (well ish in the 1st arc). There is a 3rd arc to go before Rise. So tell me, how is the game going to take on the novel's story? It just doesn't make sense :p. Seems to me, the article writer has not been paying attention and just threw something together to gain attention. It's worked as it's done the rounds on TRF and now this forum.:hmm:

Yeah I guess it's quite popular then if it's all over the place...Why release something that's not accurate? Makes you look foolish when the games released and it's not what you said it was heh heh. Silly website.

AlexWeiss
5th Jan 2015, 22:31

The quote is definitely a huge reflection on Lara's character; she's wealthy, but she doesn't want money, she doesn't want fame or glory, what she wants is an experience. However, just given those things, Lara isn't that complex of a character if you strip her down to just that. I originally wrote a really long response, but I'll keep it to this: Lara is sculpted by her own past just as the ancient people she demands endless knowledge about had. She delves deeper and darker into the history of past cultures like the Egyptians and the Mayans and with the reboot, the Japanese, it's only natural that she does it with her own past as well.

That being said, a story (even a small one) about her parents is kind of necessary, but I'm not saying it has to be a full on plot for a game. Think of the impact her father had on her, he was the reason she wanted to be an archaeologist, and in the reboot she talks about how insane his theories used to be, but at the end, she admits she wonders how sane he actually was vs how much she gave him credit for. Also, it just makes a character more three dimensional, knowing about their past, and parents are a massive part of everyone's history.

I don't mind Sam that much, but I do hope she becomes more interesting, right now she's a very weak and undeveloped character and the only reason most people like her is because of her ship with Lara. She needs to actually mean something less objective in the next game for her to be in it and for anyone to actually care about her.

WinterSoldierLTE
5th Jan 2015, 22:54
I never really had a problem with Sam, TBH. The only thing I found slightly annoying about her is Lara always screaming "Sam?! SAM?!". But that's about it, really. She was a pretty good opposite for Lara. Very naïve in a sense, where Lara is not. I think they were good for each other.

I suppose I got the "Amanda & Lara" friendship-type vibe thing between the two, without Sam blaming Lara for abandoning her and coming back to get her, obviously. As for her portrayal in "The 10,000 Immortals", yeah, that was weak and she was poorly used, IMO. As for her portrayal in the comics, I can't comment, I have yet to read any of them. I have several of them, just haven't had the time yet.

AlexWeiss
6th Jan 2015, 01:35
She's seen in the comics for about one panel every few issues, so in other words she's barely there at all. I see what you're getting at with the whole Amanda thing, in my personal opinion I think Amanda had better character development, she was a villain and a foil to Lara but still had that human drive that Lara had as well. Sam has just always seemed a little boring to me. I understand why, Rhianna explained the reason for the lack of secondary character development and basically it had to do with time and priority. She just needed something more that made me care about her other than Lara caring for her.

I just hope that if she appears in the next game she'll see Yamatai as a big wake up call and becomes more of a realistic, well-rounded and dynamic character rather than the one track purpose that she served in TR2013. I'm not even going to bring up her portrayal in Ten Thousand Immortals, I'm still in denial that it's cannon :hmm:

Djencic
6th Jan 2015, 01:55
What I would be completely satisfied with is Himiko finnaly getting into Sam fully, Sam becoming an antagonist, a crazy villaness with alter personas like Laras friend and Sun Queen Himiko and also another new Sam that is born out of experience from Yamatai etc all at the same time and those personas interchanging and heavily influencing the story (a villain who is not the villain and kinda helps lara at a certain point but than tries to stabs her or **** like that cuz she just turned back into himiko etc). And than hit as hard with something like Lara being forced to kill Himiko/Sam (by circumstances maybe like Himiko being on the verge of fully getting her powers and escaping into the world or smth) even though she thought she can still save her... And bam, Sam gets developed as a character in a weird ****ed up way, she gets killed cuz hey nobody liked her anyways and it would be another hard and defining moment for Lara

Rai
6th Jan 2015, 01:59
I didn't have a problem with Sam in the game, she served her purpose as a plot device. That's just it though, she was there mostly just as the purpose of forwarding the plot. But yeah, Lara shouting 'SAAAAM' all the time, often when she was in danger of being overheard was annoying. She seems like a friendly outgoing type in the comics, only with hardly anything to do once more. I honestly can't tell how they'd manage to fit her in RotTR, she has no useful skills that I can see except for filming (and I can't see the need for Lara to have her adventure filmed, she's not Whitman, unless it's for evidence(?)). The only role I can envisage is a sort of Alister/zip role of talking over a radio as moral support. I don't dislike her, but neither will I miss her if she's not there.

@the idea of Sam becoming a sort of antagonist. No, just no :p. For starters, the Himiko plot is done, this was shown in the novel and partly in the comics. And Sam turning against Lara would be all too similar to the Amanda/Lara scenario. It's been done and would just seem repetitive if done again.

Djencic
6th Jan 2015, 02:07
Im reading the novel now so I don,t know the details. But anyways, the reboot story was not very creative to start with, another female mythical ruler turns out to be very real and very hungry for power and Lara is there to save the world. I would have been much more satisfied with a 'smaller' story but more developed characters etc and I can still see that happening with the next game... So yeah, antagonist Sam was just an idea, it would certainly be more interesting than the Sam storyline we have for now:/

WinterSoldierLTE
6th Jan 2015, 03:13
But anyways, the reboot story was not very creative to start with, another female mythical ruler turns out to be very real and very hungry for power and Lara is there to save the world.

I think there's a lot of similarities between "TR 2013" and "TR '96". Not just the Natla/Himiko thing, but the pacing (loads of combat one minute, then loads of quiet exploration the next), the "St. Francis Folly" and "Coastal Village" map (essentially two huge setpieces with tons of exploration around them), and both have a level where you temporarily lose your weapons. Could be just me, though.

And yeah, if Sam went evil, I think it'd be too close to Amanda's arc. What you described above is basically exactly what happened with Amanda. It was good, tho. Amanda's a great villain with a good backstory and motivation, and my favorite character next to Lara.

Rai
6th Jan 2015, 12:31
What are you on about? There was hardly any combat in TR1, let alone 'loads'. Temporarily losing her weapons is a sort of theme in the games: TRs 1,2,3, in the Russian levels of TRC also had that happen, if I remember. The only real similarity between TR1 and TR'13 was Himilo/Natla and even then they had different agendas, so the similarity lies in that they're both Queens :p.

WinterSoldierLTE
6th Jan 2015, 15:40
What are you on about? There was hardly any combat in TR1, let alone 'loads'. Temporarily losing her weapons is a sort of theme in the games: TRs 1,2,3, in the Russian levels of TRC also had that happen, if I remember. The only real similarity between TR1 and TR'13 was Himilo/Natla and even then they had different agendas, so the similarity lies in that they're both Queens :p.

Loads of combat for TR1. As tough as the mummies/atlanteans were, 3 in a room was tricky. Again tho, maybe it's just me.

Blacktron
6th Jan 2015, 16:19
Rhianna Pratchett has said in interviews that she was inspired by Amanda Ripley in Aliens, a mother figure that is protecting her daughter. Looking at RP's work it seems to me that she has been recreating these characters time and again: Nariko and Kai: essentially mother and daughter - Reyes and whatever her name was: mother and daughter - Lara and Sam: also essentially mother and daugther (and not lesbian ****buddies) that I think is why there is a lot of Lara (Ripley) keeping Sam (Amanda Ripley) safe from the Solari (Aliens). In get away from her you *****! - style.

That's fine for TR9, but I think for TR10 it would be time to expand on Lara's character more and not keep on recreating the Aliens characters.

And Sam I think needs a proper role as well if she's gonna keep appearing in TR games. I have suggested before that Sam could get a pilots licence and be like this series Launchpad McQuack.

Djencic
6th Jan 2015, 17:40
Rhianna Pratchett has said in interviews that she was inspired by Amanda Ripley in Aliens, a mother figure that is protecting her daughter. Looking at RP's work it seems to me that she has been recreating these characters time and again: Nariko and Kai: essentially mother and daughter - Reyes and whatever her name was: mother and daughter - Lara and Sam: also essentially mother and daugther (and not lesbian ****buddies) that I think is why there is a lot of Lara (Ripley) keeping Sam (Amanda Ripley) safe from the Solari (Aliens). In get away from her you *****! - style.

That's fine for TR9, but I think for TR10 it would be time to expand on Lara's character more and not keep on recreating the Aliens characters.

And Sam I think needs a proper role as well if she's gonna keep appearing in TR games. I have suggested before that Sam could get a pilots licence and be like this series Launchpad McQuack.

Except that in this story it kinda didn't work. Wasn't Kai Narikos sister? Even if it wasn't still Kai looked like a child, her parents killed if I remember correctly, and the guy with those metal wings hunted her just for fun and tried to kill her. Also mother trying to save her doughter would work too, as I understand happens in Aliens, but Lara with Sam -no. I cannot possibly imagine how would someone like Lara be such good friends with someone like Sam. They need to explain this relationship, idk if anyone else feels this way... I think the best explanation could be that Sam somehow helped Lara big time, she did smth for her etc.. In the novel they mention Lara being an outcast in highschool 'just like Sam', how on earth is a model-looking fashionable rich girl who likes partying andtraveling an outcast?

AlexWeiss
6th Jan 2015, 21:36
What I would be completely satisfied with is Himiko finnaly getting into Sam fully

I disagree, I'm honestly looking forward to leaving Yamatai as just a memory. I liked the story but after two and half years of hearing about the island first and then playing the game four times and then in the comics and the novel, I'm a little tired of Himiko.

I didn't have a problem with Sam in the game, she served her purpose as a plot device. That's just it though, she was there mostly just as the purpose of forwarding the plot.

YES

the reboot story was not very creative to start with, another female mythical ruler turns out to be very real and very hungry for power and Lara is there to save the world.

Personally, I disagree. I quite liked the story, and Lara didn't have to save the world, just her friends, and it was her never ending guilt that drove her and could've broken her had she stopped for too long. There were certain tones of the game that I wish was brought out more, and if there's anything about AoD that I enjoyed, it was the dark and enriched story (and the idea of some of the mechanics, but they were so poorly executed, anyway, enough about that).

Scion_Light
7th Jan 2015, 15:06
There has been so much about saving Sam in the official TR fiction since TR(2013) that it just seems too similar if Lara has to save her yet again. She has been rescued nearly as many times as Kim Bauer and I think if she is in the next game surely it has to be in more than just a victim role.

Gitb97
7th Jan 2015, 18:04
Sheesh all this swearing :p

I totally agree with WinterSoldier in the essence of TR1 and TR13 having similar aspects, but they're both *technically* first games - if you want to think the reboot is a first game.

Tbh, look how over-used Natla was (If you agree). Sam could easily be overused and rammed in there for the LaraxSam lovers. It's happened before in other games/stories.

AlexWeiss
7th Jan 2015, 20:31
I began going through threads on TRF and despite the opinions given about new Lara (by new I mean CD era) vs. Classic (Core only) that I highly disagree with, I found one about a character study on Lara Croft. They mentioned something that was highly true, and that was being the fact that with the reboot Lara, it almost seems like they're trying to be too politically correct. Lara was such a popular character due to the fact that she was a walking example of irony, being a symbol of elegance and courtesy and being proper while simultaneously being this fast paced action hero "doing improper things." On top of that, she made mistakes, she acknowledged them, she went along with them understanding who she was.

I think that's what the next game needs, I understand that they want Lara to have a realistic beginning, but thus far, anything she's felt guilt for has either been minuscule or wasn't really her fault (example: Yamatai was in a sense Lara's fault, but would we consider that a great mistake of Lara's? She was a researcher, her job was to find the island, and she did just that. She had no idea it would blow up in her face). If I've learned anything from reading comedians' novels that tell hilarious stories is that our character is best molded by mistakes that we've made, and I feel as though CD is shying away from Lara making those big mistakes (not miscalculations or buying the wrong type of wine, but actual mistakes that might even make Lara feel ashamed).

Perhaps this is the only problem I have with Rhianna writing Tomb Raider, it constantly seems like she's trying to make a point that Lara's human and even throwing a few hints in about feminism and other equalities (I'm fine with that), but she's missing the biggest part of Lara that makes everyone a well rounded character: human error.

That was long, but to put it short, we don't need another rescue story in general, but instead an interesting and complex story that involves Lara not being constantly politically correct. Don't get me wrong, the new Lara is my favorite incarnation solely due to the potential she holds, but I'm afraid that they might miss that part. If you're on TRF, you're probably going to see a similar post to this one, except with more sticking up for Lara 2013, just throwing that out there.

Driber
7th Jan 2015, 20:38
Hmm, well, politically correctness certainly is very much in vogue these days, isn't it :whistle:

Gitb97
7th Jan 2015, 21:39
AlexWeiss you've made such a brilliant point...I like my video games to escape from the real world (Doesn't everyone?) Too realistic will get a little...you know...off putting. For me anyway, not saying that applies to everyone.

Error96_
7th Jan 2015, 22:57
I think there's a lot of similarities between "TR 2013" and "TR '96". Not just the Natla/Himiko thing, but the pacing (loads of combat one minute, then loads of quiet exploration the next), the "St. Francis Folly" and "Coastal Village" map (essentially two huge setpieces with tons of exploration around them), and both have a level where you temporarily lose your weapons. Could be just me, though.

The pacing is very different between the games with TR(2013) having tons of combat interspersed with a odd puzzle or platforming section whereas TR1 has lots of platforming and puzzles with only a little combat.

I began going through threads on TRF and despite the opinions given about new Lara (by new I mean CD era) vs. Classic (Core only) that I highly disagree with, I found one about a character study on Lara Croft. They mentioned something that was highly true, and that was being the fact that with the reboot Lara, it almost seems like they're trying to be too politically correct. Lara was such a popular character due to the fact that she was a walking example of irony, being a symbol of elegance and courtesy and being proper while simultaneously being this fast paced action hero "doing improper things." On top of that, she made mistakes, she acknowledged them, she went along with them understanding who she was.

I think that's what the next game needs, I understand that they want Lara to have a realistic beginning, but thus far, anything she's felt guilt for has either been minuscule or wasn't really her fault (example: Yamatai was in a sense Lara's fault, but would we consider that a great mistake of Lara's? She was a researcher, her job was to find the island, and she did just that. She had no idea it would blow up in her face).

With the reboot Lara the events have shaped Lara rather than Lara shaping the events. The young Lara of the Core era was always out there to seek adventure, she broke the rules and convention to defy Father Dunstan's instructions, had the guts to stand up to Verner Von Croy and often does the reckless thing which gets her in trouble. It's in her nature to defy convention from choosing to break with the luxury she has to go exploring, to the contrast between her elegance and sex appeal.

With the new Lara she is too scaled back for political correctness. I didn't see enough personality or quirkiness when Lara interacted with her crewmates. There was no sass or humour either and all her responses were very measured. Too much of what made her so far in the reboot were circumstances rather than her own actions and having her save Sam again or following in the shadow of her missing parents will only extrapolate that. CD have been so afraid to have a girl that is different with aspects like her upper class elegance, the manor, her curvy body, her fashion style and her attitude all missing for TR(2013). Maybe this was for context and some will return but removing all these aspects took away much of what had made Lara well known. Relatability and more average are different things. Lara is so popular because of her uniqueness and hope that doesn't get lost to PC.

Blacktron
7th Jan 2015, 23:27
Some protagonists are meant to be the audiences proxy: they're relatable and just like you and all that. Characters like Luke Skywalker, Frodo, and now Reboot Lara as well. Their relatability is the reason why the story follows them.

And then there are characters that are the extraordinaires: they've got extraordinary traits and their extraordinariness is the reason why the story follows them, like Sherlock Holmes, Corto Maltese, old fashioned Lara. But I don't think that making a mistake is gonna make her more popular, I don't think that that has anything to do with it at all.

I believe that an extraordinaire is much more difficult to do in a more realistic world like the one in TR9. A highly eccentric character in a realistic world is something that not everybody can appreciate. What was the last time you met a Corto Maltese fan? Other than me. Still, I think it would be a HELL of an interesting thing to see Lara become an eccentric like a cookie 19th century aristocrat: almost like a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - high society lady by day, graverobber by night. Being an enigmatic person, always saying and doing things you didn't expect.
Of course that's never gonna happen because that would be way too interesting and Crystal Dynamics will stick to playing it safe. So I think we can expect another audience's proxy-character. And that doesn't have to be a bad thing at all if it is done right... There's just a lot of ways it can be done right and a lot of ways they can screw it up - too much for me to tell what is the right way and which one the wrong. I would just wait and see how she develops in TR10.

Driber
8th Jan 2015, 02:32
The TR9 universe was no more "realistic" than the TR1 universe.

Having an "eccentric" Lara is not going to be liked by everyone, no, but as the saying goes - you can't please everyone. Right now a lot of people aren't pleased with the "dullification" of Lara Croft, and wish to see more of old Lara back in the future games. A reasonable wish, I'd say.

And I don't think it's fair to say that Crystal likes to "play it safe" and that therefore xyz won't happen. If Crystal likes playing safe, the reboot wouldn't have happened in the first place :whistle:

Tecstar70
8th Jan 2015, 10:35
The TR9 universe was no more "realistic" than the TR1 universe.

Having an "eccentric" Lara is not going to be liked by everyone, no, but as the saying goes - you can't please everyone. Right now a lot of people aren't pleased with the "dullification" of Lara Croft, and wish to see more of old Lara back in the future games. A reasonable wish, I'd say.

And I don't think it's fair to say that Crystal likes to "play it safe" and that therefore xyz won't happen. If Crystal likes playing safe, the reboot wouldn't have happened in the first place :whistle:

I think the "dullification" you refer to, that others may refer to as "realism", is a dangerous place to be. We might lose the fantastical but believable elements that were in the old TR games. There is a danger that realism can suck the spirit out of a game and I hope that doesn't happen with TR. I like to think that the lack of fantastical elements in TR2013 was intended, to put the human being that is Lara Croft through a set of "real" experiences that go on to build her character. The supernatural elements are there, with the sudden storms that erupt and really kick in at the end with the Storm Guard and Himiko and therefore aren't completely absent, and that for me signposts the potential fantastical elements of future games.