PDA

View Full Version : Patch Notes - December 18th Update

Saikocat
18th Dec 2014, 18:46
Dead of Winter
Winter has arrived and with it comes new Exotic weaponry! Winter Items are infused with the power of Balefire and can be found under the EVENTS tab in the Store for Gold or Runestones. This event will run until midnight PST on January 5th.

French and German Language Support
Nosgoth is now localized in French and German!

Friend Referral
With the launch of the Friend Referral site tomorrow, you can start earning rewards for referring Friends to Nosgoth. You'll earn loot for each referred friend that reaches Level 20 including Gold, Runestones, and exclusive Skins for the Scout and Sentinel. Visit our website from tomorrow to get started!

Class Tutorials
Tutorials are now available for all classes and provide a 7-day item reward specific to that class upon completion.

Game Modes
Flashpoint is a new version of Siege that is taking its place in the playlist selection. Flashpoint mode tasks the Human team with capturing six objectives in a limited amount of time. Each objective captured increases the time limit. The only goal of the Vampire team is to prevent humans from capturing all six objectives before time runs out.
Flashpoint is disabled in this build while we finalize testing on it, but it is coming soon. Siege has been removed from the available playlists.

Performance

Found and fixed an issue from the last update causing World Detail settings to not apply correctly, resulting in worse framerate for some players
Made Low and Medium settings more aggressively turn off features that impact performance
Implemented a fixed-size texture pool to reduce framerate hitches from textures streaming in and out while moving around levels. This is not enabled by default. For now, you must add "-usetexturepool" to your Nosgoth launch options in Steam. Some users may experience low resolution textures near them with this setting enabled.

Bugs

Fixed an issue causing party members' Boosters to sometimes show up as Crossbows or Perks
Fixed a few cases where Shadow Step would not activate correctly
Fix for Achievements not tracking correctly across matches
Blinding Shot no longer fires only one projectile when shooting at your own feet

MasterZtark
18th Dec 2014, 18:53
Thanks Cat, a lot of exciting stuff here! ^_^

Varulven
18th Dec 2014, 18:55
Sounds pretty nice, but what's with the deceiver (bug fixes)?
He's been treated like an orphan again :(

Louves
18th Dec 2014, 19:21
Is there a way to change the language back to english?

RazielWarmonic
18th Dec 2014, 19:24
"more aggressively turn off textures" I don't know why that made me laugh, but it did.

Also thanks Cat, I am so HYPE at the moment.
AHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE STUPID EVENTS THAT ARE ALL ABOUT COSMETICS.

Psyonix_Corey
18th Dec 2014, 19:29
Is there a way to change the language back to english?

Set Launch Options
-language=int

Varulven
18th Dec 2014, 19:30
Now I want the old build back.
Having disconnects every match.

Jallford
18th Dec 2014, 19:35
Getting the ever fun random disconnects mid-match again. So frustrating, and pointless playing until it's fixed.

eXmoRtiZ
18th Dec 2014, 19:44
Servers crashed. :( Expecting network issues. Disconnect. 99% of the matches.

Jallford
18th Dec 2014, 19:49
Three matches, disconnected midway through all of them. Lobby not launching on the fourth.

Time to play something else for a bit!

SquirrelInDaSky
18th Dec 2014, 20:04
The game is incredibly unstable, 6/8 matches i played have ended in a disconnect. Both me and my party teammate got kicked straight out.
The game is almost unplayable atm.

Saikocat
18th Dec 2014, 20:05
We're looking into the disconnects, bear with us, guys.

Ysanoire
18th Dec 2014, 20:25
Saikocat, how does one get the banner you had in-game? It looked winter-related but it's not in the store.

Phytik
18th Dec 2014, 21:05
I always played on low details and I always could see the aoe (choking haze for example) circle. Now I dont see it anymore on low details.

DesolatedMaggot
18th Dec 2014, 21:10
I always played on low details and I always could see the aoe (choking haze for example) circle. Now I dont see it anymore on low details.

In your "BCMPSystemSettings.ini" file set "DynamicDecals=" to "True"

Saikocat
18th Dec 2014, 21:15
Saikocat, how does one get the banner you had in-game? It looked winter-related but it's not in the store.

We'll check into that, it looks like it's not appearing on the store for you guys yet.

Ysanoire
18th Dec 2014, 21:30
Thanks, I thought there was something missing, since it does say "banners" on home screen. I liked that banner.

Saikocat
18th Dec 2014, 21:34
Yep, there are two banners, but they're not showing up just yet. That one you saw me using is probably my new favourite, too! :)
We'll let you guys know once they're sorted, at the moment we're working on the issue causing match crashes.
Bear with us, guys.

SirRudyMan
18th Dec 2014, 21:39
Sounds pretty nice, but what's with the deceiver (bug fixes)?
He's been treated like an orphan again :(

Like Varulven said, nice update, but fix the old bugs first pleaaaaaasssseee :D

Firehex
18th Dec 2014, 22:49
You broke game again..Now i got disconect right in middle of shoting with no reason... Game just stopped, logo appeared and i am back in main menu.

Was there any serious patch which didn't broke party system, matchmaking or any game concept ?

Anyway,thanks for tutorials and new game mode.

Louves
18th Dec 2014, 22:57
Set Launch Options
-language=int

Thanks Corey :)

Illusions seem to be the reason for the disconnects. I saw it several times today. Everytime they despawn everyone disconnects.

absinthesize
18th Dec 2014, 22:58
its the deceiver illusions guys, you shoot one, or anyone shoot one, whole match crashes.

people are already using it to grief by preventing a loss by crashing the entire match.

Psyonix_Eric
18th Dec 2014, 23:09
We're aware of the issue and are looking into the issue as fast as possible. Sorry for the troubles it's causing.

Louves
18th Dec 2014, 23:37
Some Achievement are still not tracking correctly. For example: "Vae Victis!", "Death For The Dead" and "Natural Born Killer"

MasterShuriko
18th Dec 2014, 23:37
I have ALOT of achievements that doesnt track. In short Everything that you cannot complete within a single match doesnt record / count for me.

Louves
18th Dec 2014, 23:45
The "Centurial-" Achievements are tracking for me. At least until now :P

Edit: Okay the "Centurial-" Achievements are still broken, my "Centurial Deceiver" Achievement reset at 92/100 :/

Malkev
19th Dec 2014, 00:10
Hi. Two questions here.

Visual effects of weapons Alchemist also affect the "balls" or have the same color as long as happened with weapons of Halloween?

I have already invited all my friends with the codes you gave me when I buy the immortal pack. All those friends are going to count for the referal system? Because if not, it is a clear injustice for the ones who start the game before this system.

Anyway, great patch. Best game of the world! ;)

Hawknezz
19th Dec 2014, 00:23
I love this game and support everything you guys are doing, as well as how fast you address these type of issues. It blows my mind how great this game is already and I am excited (but patient) for everything ahead.

Psyonix_Eric
19th Dec 2014, 00:46
Thanks Hawknezz and Malkev. :)

The downtime that's going on now is to address the Deceiver crash issue that was plaguing the latest build. We'll let everyone know here (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=149410&p=2092281#post2092281) and/or on Twitter (http://twitter.com/nosgoth) and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/nosgothofficial) when we're back up and running.

Kabalite
19th Dec 2014, 04:23
Can we get an update on the Australian and East Asia servers? It's been weeks and still no word on when they will be up.

PencileyePirate
19th Dec 2014, 04:56
Shadow step cancellation bug is NOT fixed. I just experienced it.

Rago600
19th Dec 2014, 05:22
Shadow step cancellation bug is NOT fixed. I just experienced it.

True thing, sometimes you press it,
you get the GUI Feedback and nothing happens, if you are lucky you can press it again, if not you get Hit and its over with shadow step :)

But there are a Lot of things, like Pouncing this Entrance on the Fane, results in getting stuck mid Air, like the Health Station Bug,
And somehow the Hitboxes did change, but im not sure if this is a Bug there :)

Hashakgik888
19th Dec 2014, 07:02
Dead of Winter
Winter has arrived and with it comes new Exotic weaponry! Winter Items are infused with the power of Balefire and can be found under the EVENTS tab in the Store for Gold or Runestones. This event will run until midnight PST on January 5th.

Cat, can you please explain what exactly is meant here by balefire? That is, not just "it's a white elemental magical beam weapon," etc, but specifically what its magical properties are that distinguish it from other kinds of magical fire. The only type of balefire of which I'm aware - indeed, certainly the original inspiration for all balefire throughout the fantasy genre - is that in the Wheel of Time series. This balefire (http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Balefire)is a magical beam weapon that destroys its victims by literally unraveling their threads in the Pattern, effectively killing them in the past: "When a target is struck with balefire, its thread in the pattern is destroyed, in an amount proportional to the power of the balefire strike. This translates to the target's existence being completely erased, chronologically in reverse." The version of balefire in D&D (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Balefire_%283.5e_Epic_Spell%29) also explicitly describes this effect: "Any creature or object destroyed with this spell ceases to exist for all time, present, future, and past. That is, if a creature is destroyed with Balefire, it is as if that creature never existed. Memories of those actions and creatures remain, but the actual events of the creature's life never occurred. " This is fine in D&D, but LoK/Nosgoth has explicitly defined rules regarding the metaphysics of time and causality. Balefire requires the Pattern to function (or, at the very least, a permissive superstructure of causality that allows divergent timelines to spring up willy-nilly), and there is no such structure in LoK. According to Nosgoth's metaphysics, if someone were to be killed into the past a la balefire, they wouldn't have been there in the present when they got killed, meaning that they wouldn't have been killed in the first place, etc, which would be a fatal paradox. This sort of thing simply cannot occur in LoK/Nosgoth at all. Balefire brings with it specific rules regarding time and causality, but LoK already has its own equally strictly defined rules regarding time; the two are simply incompatible.

So, again, can you please explain exactly what you mean by "balefire" here?

Vampmaster
19th Dec 2014, 10:21
Cat, can you please explain what exactly is meant here by balefire? That is, not just "it's a white elemental magical beam weapon," etc, but specifically what its magical properties are that distinguish it from other kinds of magical fire. The only type of balefire of which I'm aware - indeed, certainly the original inspiration for all balefire throughout the fantasy genre - is that in the Wheel of Time series. This balefire (http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Balefire)is a magical beam weapon that destroys its victims by literally unraveling their threads in the Pattern, effectively killing them in the past: "When a target is struck with balefire, its thread in the pattern is destroyed, in an amount proportional to the power of the balefire strike. This translates to the target's existence being completely erased, chronologically in reverse." The version of balefire in D&D (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Balefire_%283.5e_Epic_Spell%29) also explicitly describes this effect: "Any creature or object destroyed with this spell ceases to exist for all time, present, future, and past. That is, if a creature is destroyed with Balefire, it is as if that creature never existed. Memories of those actions and creatures remain, but the actual events of the creature's life never occurred. " This is fine in D&D, but LoK/Nosgoth has explicitly defined rules regarding the metaphysics of time and causality. Balefire requires the Pattern to function (or, at the very least, a permissive superstructure of causality that allows divergent timelines to spring up willy-nilly), and there is no such structure in LoK. According to Nosgoth's metaphysics, if someone were to be killed into the past a la balefire, they wouldn't have been there in the present when they got killed, meaning that they wouldn't have been killed in the first place, etc, which would be a fatal paradox. This sort of thing simply cannot occur in LoK/Nosgoth at all. Balefire brings with it specific rules regarding time and causality, but LoK already has its own equally strictly defined rules regarding time; the two are simply incompatible.

So, again, can you please explain exactly what you mean by "balefire" here?

It's actually "beltane fire" or "funeral fire" in an pagan tradition:
http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/beltanecustomandfolklore/p/The-Bale-Fire.htm

Interesting nod to the Wheel of Time, which supposedly was one of Amy's inspirations for Soul Reaver.

Hashakgik888
19th Dec 2014, 10:31
It's actually "beltane fire" or "funeral fire" in an pagan tradition:
http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/beltanecustomandfolklore/p/The-Bale-Fire.htm

Interesting nod to the Wheel of Time, which supposedly was one of Amy's inspirations for Soul Reaver.

I felt that it was a safe assumption that they didn't mean the actual beltane fire since it is spelled here as "balefire" rather than "bale fire" (and balefire, in that spelling, is an established different thing from a bale fire). Furthermore, Beltane occurs in April or May, making it an inappropriate and unlikely inspiration for special Winter weapons. The established magical weapon in fantasy seemed a much likelier basis.

Saikocat
It does, per Vamps link for example, have references in history and other sources, other than you mentioned. The effects on the weapons are purely cosmetic, so aren't to imply anything of the nature of what you posted regarding Wheel of Time for instance, but I'll share the feedback with the guys.

Visual effects of weapons Alchemist also affect the "balls" or have the same color as long as happened with weapons of Halloween?

The effects work just like the previous cosmetic effects, including the Halloween weapons, so the projectiles from an Alchemist's weapon aren't affected.

I have already invited all my friends with the codes you gave me when I buy the immortal pack. All those friends are going to count for the referal system? Because if not, it is a clear injustice for the ones who start the game before this system.

I'm afraid as it's an entirely new system, it can't track any codes you gave to people manually I'm afraid.

I love this game and support everything you guys are doing, as well as how fast you address these type of issues. It blows my mind how great this game is already and I am excited (but patient) for everything ahead.

Thanks! :)

Saikocat
To confirm for everyone, the issues with Illusions were addressed with an update last night, and we're back online (since a few hours back).

Vampmaster
19th Dec 2014, 10:37
I felt that it was a safe assumption that they didn't mean the actual beltane fire since it is spelled here as "balefire" rather than "bale fire" (and balefire, in that spelling, is an established different thing from a bale fire). Furthermore, Beltane occurs in April or May, making it an inappropriate and unlikely inspiration for special Winter weapons. The established magical weapon in fantasy seemed a much likelier basis.

Oh, right. I didn't spot the part about the date, but it's certainly safer than introducing a new way to alter history and make paradoxes etc.

Hashakgik888
19th Dec 2014, 10:40
It does, per Vamps link for example, have references in history and other sources, other than you mentioned. The effects on the weapons are purely cosmetic, so aren't to imply anything of the nature of what you posted regarding Wheel of Time for instance.

If it's just meant to be cosmetic, it's probably best not to use words like this that have very strongly associated meanings, particularly with established items in the fantasy world. You can't just take words and slap them onto things and expect the meanings not to go with them just because you think they sound cool. That's not how this whole "language" thing works.

Beltane is still inappropriate for special "winter" items due to the reason I explained above.

Oh, right. I didn't spot the part about the date, but it's certainly safer than introducing a new way to alter history and make paradoxes etc.

It seems pretty obvious that none of that was considered at all, as per usual. These things are apparently supposed to exist in a vacuum.

Saikocat
19th Dec 2014, 10:48
I'll share the feedback with the team!

Just a quick heads up about something else, the Friend Referral site will be going live today, so I will share the link in another thread once that's up :)

Vampmaster
19th Dec 2014, 11:01
I'll share the feedback with the team!

Just a quick heads up about something else, the Friend Referral site will be going live today, so I will share the link in another thread once that's up :)

It would be good to get a blog about where the elemental abilities come from in general.

Lord_Aevum
19th Dec 2014, 11:20
It would be good to get a blog about where the elemental abilities come from in general.

If we did one, what would you like to see in such a blog? Do you have any theories yourself?

FireWorks_
19th Dec 2014, 11:23
Congrats, you tackled the leaver issue effectivly and in a very positive way. 8 games straight and only 2 players left mid match, all were pretty fun. Glad the endless feedback threads on this topic didnt lead to draconic punishment but positive incentive to keep going. Congrats again, well done.

On the bug side of life: My attacks (melee/shot) lock up after using F abilities in about 20% of time. Noticed with reaver and prophet. Dodge roll fixes it but the feeling when standing face to face and cant react is.. bad :D

Hashakgik888
19th Dec 2014, 11:36

Yes, definitely agree. Anything - literally anything at all - to let us know that there was even an attempt made internally to explain them.

FireWorks_
19th Dec 2014, 11:40
Yes, definitely agree. Anything - literally anything at all - to let us know that there was even an attempt made internally to explain them.

Or they put the time into the game development instead of writing novels.

Vampmaster
19th Dec 2014, 12:52
If we did one, what would you like to see in such a blog? Do you have any theories yourself?

I think there's been a lot of elemental magic shown in LOK already, so rather than making it even more abundant, IMO would be best to try to reuse an existing one. I think you'd want to avoid the idea of humans/necro-vamps having access to the same magic as the ancient vampires (even on a smaller scale) and I think you might have already ruled out something like blessing them at the glyph alters. The only other appearance of elements is the demons. These would have likely been killed off by demon hunters in the SR2 era and Kain's vampires later on, but there could be plenty of remains around. Perhaps in some really old battlefield or hunting ground. It could be out in the desert that's been mentioned in the blogs or around Avernus area. The demon's remains could retain it's elemental properties. Claws, horns and bones could have been incorporated into their weapons/armor their hide made into leather clothing. The elements the demons used seem to be the closest matches to the ones we've seen on the mysterious weapons, given that they includes things like poison and lightning.

There's the option of using their souls too, but this seems like something that's been done already. I don't know if you'd accept the Melchahim using their necromancy skills or Turelim using their engineering skills to infuse demons souls into items. The relic Raziel first gained TK from was a curious object. Maybe the Turelim discovered a way to bind abilities to items such as that and perhaps even gained their telekinesis by transferring abilities from one being to another using such items. It would probably need some explanation on how the souls are obtained. The developers could go with essence instead of souls and take the opportunity to clear up the confusion BO2 caused by introducing that as Kain's means of taking other's abilities..

Other ideas could be that with the Melchahim exploring the desert and the Rahabim exploring the oceans, they discovered ruins, relics and remains (wasn't meant to rhyme) that haven't been seen elsewhere. Although it would hard to explain why the vampire/hylden objects would be there without the corpses of those who they belonged to. Tough to balance this eras residents discovering that there were ancient beings without them knowing the details like they were vampires and had wings and died fighting hylden. That idea probably wouldn't work and you already mentioned it's implausible for things to simply be passed on without full detail of their origin.

Lord_Aevum
19th Dec 2014, 14:18
<snip>

Though I can't promise a blog will be made, I think those are all some fantastic ideas and that there's potential to develop more of a backstory to support these commercial additions. I'll pass it on.

Or they put the time into the game development instead of writing novels.

Aye that may be, but bear with the other posters who believe it doesn't make much sense to introduce new anomalous types of weapons into the Nosgoth world without attempting to explain them, unless they're jokes. One of the original promises of the game was that "the lore is watertight". The cardboard tube of Defiance was a cheat code just for fun, but anybody who knows anything about LoK will agree that even the most mundane artefacts purporting to be canonical, have a context and a backstory. Without one, some might say the mysterious weapons are as watertight as cardboard themselves, breaking the fourth wall and making world consistency soggy.

FireWorks_
19th Dec 2014, 15:12
Aye that may be, but bear with the other posters who believe it doesn't make much sense to introduce new anomalous types of weapons into the Nosgoth world without attempting to explain them, unless they're jokes. One of the original promises of the game was that "the lore is watertight". The cardboard tube of Defiance was a cheat code just for fun, but anybody who knows anything about LoK will agree that even the most mundane artefacts purporting to be canonical, have a context and a backstory. Without one, some might say the mysterious weapons are as watertight as cardboard themselves, breaking the fourth wall and making world consistency soggy.

Dont get me wrong, I believe writing and story telling is one of the highest arts. But I dont think that any developer should sit hours and days in typing this stuff down while there are tones of community and fan sites out there to deal with the whole LoK complex.

This is a pure 4v4 slaughter game with tones of work to remain. There is a massive background story for the whole LoK universe. I dont see why there should be any more manhours be put into it. Getting a futher story for it should be the least priority at this point of time.

EDIT: People play hundreds or thousands of hours on the same maps on multiplayer titles and they neglect its story pretty fast if the game is enjoyable. Also less is more applies.
de_dust2 played billions of time by now. Story? A little less than LoK...
Dota? LoL? Story is nice but most of their million players dont care at all. The games are good by their gameplay, their story is just a small bonus.

Vampmaster
19th Dec 2014, 15:22
Though I can't promise a blog will be made, I think those are all some fantastic ideas and that there's potential to develop more of a backstory to support these commercial additions. I'll pass it on.

Are you sure? I thought a couple of those such as obtaining/manipulating souls and having relics related to the ancient races would be problematic. Those were just ideas, though. I'd expect them to require tweaks to ensure they make sense and don't contradict or tread on existing lore.

The_Hylden
19th Dec 2014, 15:40
Dont get me wrong, I believe writing and story telling is one of the highest arts. But I dont think that any developer should sit hours and days in typing this stuff down while there are tones of community and fan sites out there to deal with the whole LoK complex.

This is a pure 4v4 slaughter game with tones of work to remain. There is a massive background story for the whole LoK universe. I dont see why there should be any more manhours be put into it. Getting a futher story for it should be the least priority at this point of time.

EDIT: People play hundreds or thousands of hours on the same maps on multiplayer titles and they neglect its story pretty fast if the game is enjoyable. Also less is more applies.
Dota? LoL? Story is nice but most of the million players dont care at all. The games are good by their gameplay, their story is just a small bonus.

First of all, if it takes them hours and hours to write up a small blog on something that they've spent time already thinking up to conceptualize and put in the game, there's something more fundamentally wrong here than just the lack of explanation for things...

Second, I can't even begin to comprehend this mindset. If a game has no story attached inherently, then perhaps fine. Play it and ignore any story, or make up your own. But for a franchise steeped up to its ears in story, as a staple of what said franchise was and still should be, to say eh, screw it does not compute. You make a world rich and a background to said world as equally rich, even for casual players, it's going to feel far more authentic and they'll want to play it more. For those who are curious of the story (of which, I'd hope there would be far more millions that do care about story, and just the simple logic of what things are and how they work, than who don't), it shouldn't feel like a half-baked, contradictory mess when they go go and check it out, simply because there are those out there who could not care less about what's going on...

Also, what do fan sites have to do with anything? Fan fiction is one thing. You're saying that a fan-made fiction should tell the story for this officially licensed game? I really don't understand any of this. Fans aren't paid employees and should never, ever be expected to write a series' story for the developers... I don't care what kind of game it is. This game has paid writers for the content within and to write up the blogs. It's not taking time away from the developers developing the game for said writers to simply write a blogged explanation for what's going on... That's their job ;)

Hashakgik888
19th Dec 2014, 15:53

Dota? LoL? Story is nice but most of their million players dont care at all. The games are good by their gameplay, their story is just a small bonus.

Except in this case, less appears to be... less. That's great for Dust. It'd be one thing if Nosgoth were light on the story but strong on gameplay fundamentals and managed to draw in tons of new players (which is what all the supporters hoped would happen originally), but that hasn't happened (http://steamcharts.com/app/200110#All). The approach of making the lore an afterthought does not appear to have done very well.

Kabalite
19th Dec 2014, 16:08
Is there an ETA on the Australian and East Asia servers?

Saikocat
19th Dec 2014, 16:17
Is there an ETA on the Australian and East Asia servers?

They are back online and working :)

FireWorks_
19th Dec 2014, 17:34
Except in this case, less appears to be... less. That's great for Dust. It'd be one thing if Nosgoth were light on the story but strong on gameplay fundamentals and managed to draw in tons of new players (which is what all the supporters hoped would happen originally), but that hasn't happened (http://steamcharts.com/app/200110#All). The approach of making the lore an afterthought does not appear to have done very well.

That is the problem, it is extremely strong in gameplay. Tons of reviews out there to look up on it. But Nosgoth fundamentally screws up in the framework around. Things like the matchmaking, broken servers, massive fps drops, the game not even launching, whatever you find in the bug forum, and it also would benefit a LOT of everything that is expected in a _competitive_ game like a spectator mode, a demo recording (not this noscam try) etc etc etc.

All the fancy stuff around is just wasted if they dont get the technical problems solved.

Youre right, the game needs writing. Writing of code, a lot of it.

Lord_Aevum
19th Dec 2014, 18:08
Hmm, it doesn't make much sense to suggest the community can explain away massive discrepancies in Nosgoth by improvising their own theories. Although Nosgoth is fan fiction in itself, it's also an official product created under the auspices of Square. In an Ernest Hemingway kind of situation where details are omitted for good reason, there's legroom, but fans cannot simply run with unapproved notions to fill in gaps as large as these, or it'd obviously result in a crazy free-for-all where anyone's guess counts. That wouldn't wash in any licensed property with a narrative, let alone one like LoK.

Sanguise23
19th Dec 2014, 19:15
really disappointed with the amount of friends required to get to 20 to get the skins. 25 seems a bit excessive. can anyone besides streamers really get that many referrals? ah well if it increases the player base then i dont really care but.....

Vampmaster
19th Dec 2014, 19:15
Hmm, it doesn't make much sense to suggest the community can explain away massive discrepancies in Nosgoth by improvising their own theories. Although Nosgoth is fan fiction in itself, it's also an official product created under the auspices of Square. In an Ernest Hemingway kind of situation where details are omitted for good reason, there's legroom, but fans cannot simply run with unapproved notions to fill in gaps as large as these, or it'd obviously result in a crazy free-for-all where anyone's guess counts. That wouldn't wash in any licensed property with a narrative, let alone one like LoK.

I don't think fan fiction is the right term. The proprietor's input carries a lot more weight than that of an individual consumer and to imply otherwise would automatically invalidate any future installments. The opinion of consumer base as a whole would carry more weight than that, but only time can tell what the final verdict will be. It's best to aim for something that will be accepted as cannon even if it doesn't eventually meet that goal.

If, as with Blood Omen 2, an further entry makes references to it is considered cannon, then where would it stand? You've left with the sort of thing described in this quote from ST:TNG
"There are many parts of my youth that I'm not proud of. There were... loose threads - untidy parts of me that I would like to remove. But when I... pulled on one of those threads - it unraveled the tapestry of my life."

FireWorks_
19th Dec 2014, 19:25

Im not sure if the word balefire qualifies for all the massive discrepancies.

You are sure by far more into the LoK stories, but from what I gathered in the last months and by playing SR1 and BO1 a decade ago, the writers used a lot of trickery with timelines, eras etc. This is something fundamentally broken to me. If everything has to be canon for the price of a good book/games/movie/experience its a bad trade off to me.

While "it MUST fit" promotes creativity to a certain degree it kills it in the end if overdone.

Batman comics, recent movies and Arkham games are not canon. They tell similar stories and all do it in a great way.
I believe the transition of media is a factor there and I believe the jump from single to multiplayer would require some changes too.

I lack the english to discuss deeply, but it boils down to that Id prefer a good game with an altered story than a canon bore.

There are a lot of different ways to tell a story and to provide an enjoyable experience.

Hashakgik888
20th Dec 2014, 05:17
That is the problem, it is extremely strong in gameplay. Tons of reviews out there to look up on it. But Nosgoth fundamentally screws up in the framework around. Things like the matchmaking, broken servers, massive fps drops, the game not even launching, whatever you find in the bug forum, and it also would benefit a LOT of everything that is expected in a _competitive_ game like a spectator mode, a demo recording (not this noscam try) etc etc etc.

All the fancy stuff around is just wasted if they dont get the technical problems solved.

Youre right, the game needs writing. Writing of code, a lot of it.

Yes, I'd count that as part of the gameplay; anything in the process of playing the game that results in a negative user experience is going to hurt the game.

Hashakgik888
20th Dec 2014, 05:29
I don't think fan fiction is the right term. The proprietor's input carries a lot more weight than that of an individual consumer and to imply otherwise would automatically invalidate any future installments. The opinion of consumer base as a whole would carry more weight than that, but only time can tell what the final verdict will be. It's best to aim for something that will be accepted as cannon even if it doesn't eventually meet that goal.
You are right that the owner of the IP is the one that determines the canon; I've been arguing that since the beginning when Milky et al were insisting that Nosgoth wasn't canon. However, for the owner's input to carry weight, there has to BE input. When these things like the Mysterious and Exotic weapons are introduced without even the slightest attempt to explain how they fit into the world, that creates a vacuum in the lore that requires an explanation. Refusing to offer such an explanation is what angers fans. When these gaps in the lore exist, players are basically forced to try to theorize on how the things in question came to exist because there literally is no official explanation presented by those in control of the canon. If there were, then the theorizing wouldn't be necessary. The overwhelming impression given by this is that those in control of the story simply haven't bothered to come up with an explanation because they don' care about it. It's one thing to present a story and then have the audience subjectively debate its quality, but not offering any story AT ALL doesn't even allow that to be done. It's lazy, plain and simple.

Im not sure if the word balefire qualifies for all the massive discrepancies.
Read again the description of how balefire works and then read about how time works in LoK and tell me that they're in any way remotely compatible.

Batman comics, recent movies and Arkham games are not canon. They tell similar stories and all do it in a great way.
I believe the transition of media is a factor there and I believe the jump from single to multiplayer would require some changes too.

Except the DCU explicitly has had a multiverse throughout most of its existence in the past few decades, which is the official explanation for how stories can happen that are not canon. The salient point here is that the universe in question has a mechanism in place that still makes the non-canon stories "true" in their own way. LoK has no such mechanism; there is only one Nosgoth.

GenFeelGood
20th Dec 2014, 06:47

Just an attempt

What if one of the things targeted and seized by the humans was research & relics of the circle of nine, long abandoned since the time of their demise; but remembered by the Prophets who already had such things in their possession, according to the blog post about them?
The vampire clans are able to reverse engineer and replicate what the humans develop as a result of the research & relics from what they scavenge off the dead, the Melchahim would be eager to understand how it works.

eddieson4231
20th Dec 2014, 09:24
Thanks, much appreciated.

gothjon
25th Dec 2014, 03:40
I like this game, like a lot. I wish the match-making was more balanced, oh well. I guess its only a matter of time. ^.^