PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite relic/artifct?

WinterSoldierLTE
14th Dec 2014, 01:13
I've always dug the relics and artifacts Lara comes across and goes after in her adventures. Some are pretty comical (the mechanical Owl from the original "Clash of the Titans" in 'Anniversary', for example), and others are just downright badass. I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite is. Were you a fan of the fans in TR 2013? Do you have a jade dragon tattoo as an "Aha!" homage? Inquiring Raider's must know!

Personally, I think the Dagger of Xian is genius. The idea of turning in to an almighty and powerful fire breathing dragon at the expense of stabbing yourself in the heart is just gold. Brilliant idea for an artifact.

AlexWeiss
14th Dec 2014, 02:12
I quite love the Dagger of Xian as well, I'm even working on a reboot version of TRII fan fiction because of it (no intentions on releasing it). However, Mjölnir is a close second, I remember how empowered I felt when Lara took hold of the hammer for the first time.

AdobeArtist
14th Dec 2014, 05:45
I would say Mjolnir was my favorite. I've always loved Norse mythology and this game got it right. It wasn't just wielding a legendary hammer, but wielding the might of storms and nature's fury. When I sent helpless mercs hurtling into the horizon with a lightning blast, I truly felt as though I was bestowed with the power of the gods!! :D :D :D

Chocolate_shake
14th Dec 2014, 06:50
My favourite artifact would be the Obscura Painting Lara picks up in Paris in AOD . I love the whole journey from Louvre Galleries to the top of the Hall of Seasons . Its soo "Tomb Raider"

Amulet of Horus is also another favourite of mine . Never cared much for the artifacts in the CD universe , though .

Danielsun_
14th Dec 2014, 13:28
Torn between the Dagger of Xian and Mjolnir both are awesome artifacts/weapons

dark7angel
15th Dec 2014, 21:08
My favourite artifact is probably the Dagger of Xian, but the Obscura Paintings come as a close second. I just love all the alchemy and mysticism.

Never cared much for the artifacts in the CD universe , though .

I feel the same way. I also felt it "wrong" for Lara to wield the artifacts in LAU (specially Underworld). I don't know how to explain it but it just didn't feel right to me (and it kind of made an easy combat system even easier so I didn't felt it worked in terms of gameplay either).

Lara_Fan_84
15th Dec 2014, 23:02
I have to agree on Mjolni, only because when you get it and Lara says "Time to pay Natla a visit" and you realize you have the only thing that can kill her you're like "oh yeah". LOL But, as in a fan video that someone made on youtube called "Die Natla"...if you have a 360 she still wasn't dead...LOL

Error96_
17th Dec 2014, 18:18
Out of nostalgia would have to go for the scion. I love the way the three bits fit together to represent the three Gods especially in the Core TR1 version of the scion.

Nitephall
18th Dec 2014, 00:27
For me, that would be a tough choice between Mjolnir, Excalibur, and the Iris artifact from Chronicles. I remember thinking how cool it was to have an artifact that allows you to teleport. I may be mistaken about the Iris' function though. When I first played Chronicles, I thought it was the Iris that allowed Lara to teleport, but then I got thinking maybe it was the funky machinery in the Von Croy tower that was teleporting both Lara and the Iris. If that is the case, what exactly does the Iris do? But really, you have to admit that the most amazing and most touching thing Lara finds in her many adventures is her mother. No, her mother was not an artifact, but she was exactly what Lara was searching for: the truth.

IvanaKC
18th Dec 2014, 01:03
No one mentioned that their ultimate fav is Excalibur? Oh my, I was so impressed by the idea of an ancient sword designed to actually fall to pieces and I simply love the black-green combo of colours. Also, that feeling of power in your (Lara's) hands is amazing! :D

Rai
18th Dec 2014, 02:12
Hmm I've never really thought about a favourite artefact. The Scion was the most mysterious, so that fascinated me. I also had fun with Excalibur and loved the myth behind it and how it is more than just a sword with great power, but acts as a key of sorts to unlocking the Dais'.

I don't really understand why people have a problem with Lara using the artefacts in CD's game: Excalibur and Mjolnir. Is it because there's a belief that Lara never searched for the artefacts to wield power, but because she just wanted them for her collection? I get that, but really, Lara didn't wield them for herself or power and glory of her own. Excalibur was meant to bring her to the truth of what happened to Amelia and Lara only used it as a weapon as self defence. Once used she didn't use it again (I mean other than with the dais'); She used Mjolnir to literally stop a God from creating destruction on the world and the hammer was lost after that. Sure they made the combat easier, but it was fun too.

WinterSoldierLTE
18th Dec 2014, 02:47
I thought Excalibur and Mjolnir were cool as well, both as weapons and artifacts for her to track down. Mjolnir was kind of iffy at first for me tho. I'm not 100% familiar with the Thor myth, but I always thought he was the only one who could actually pick it up. I know it was definitely that way in the Marvel comics (well, him and a select few others). So for me with that "knowledge" at first it was a bit like "Ok, this is a game... but that's not right.". But like I said I'm not totally familiar with the Thor myth, so it wasn't a "THAT'S it! They effed up Thor's myth, I'm DONE!" thing. Really very nit picky, I suppose. Just a "Is that possible?" thing. After the first swing tho, yeah, Mjolnir was badass.

But I do wonder: since she tracked those two down, what would've been next, you know? They set the bar pretty high with those two artifacts.

AdobeArtist
18th Dec 2014, 12:19
I thought Excalibur and Mjolnir were cool as well, both as weapons and artifacts for her to track down. Mjolnir was kind of iffy at first for me tho. I'm not 100% familiar with the Thor myth, but I always thought he was the only one who could actually pick it up. I know it was definitely that way in the Marvel comics (well, him and a select few others). So for me with that "knowledge" at first it was a bit like "Ok, this is a game... but that's not right.". But like I said I'm not totally familiar with the Thor myth, so it wasn't a "THAT'S it! They effed up Thor's myth, I'm DONE!" thing. Really very nit picky, I suppose. Just a "Is that possible?" thing. After the first swing tho, yeah, Mjolnir was badass.

But I do wonder: since she tracked those two down, what would've been next, you know? They set the bar pretty high with those two artifacts.

The lore says; "Who ever is worthy may wield the hammer and possess the power of Thor".
Now surely you don't doubt Lara's worthiness, hmmm?? ;) :whistle:

Even in Marvel comics, there have been two others that have been able to wield Mjolnir. And in an upcoming event, a woman will take possession of the God Hammer and become Thor.

WinterSoldierLTE
19th Dec 2014, 00:15
The lore says; "Who ever is worthy may wield the hammer and possess the power of Thor".
Now surely you don't doubt Lara's worthiness, hmmm?? ;) :whistle:

Thank you. Saved me some scrounging on the internet.

No it's not that, I just thought the mythology was different is all. Like I said, I knew in the Marvel comics it was that way but was unsure if they stuck close to the actual mythology when it came to Mjolnir or not, as again, I am not very familiar with Thor. Norse mythology, while fascinating, is not my preferred mythology to study.

Nitephall
19th Dec 2014, 05:59
The idea that Underworld was getting at with Mjolnir was that you have to be wearing the special gauntlets to wield the hammer. This implies that there was nothing special about Thor himself other than he had the gauntlets. Still, even the gauntlets were choosy: remember that Lara could wear them, but they didn't work on Amanda.

RybatGrimes
19th Dec 2014, 07:07
I'm not 100% familiar with the Thor myth, but I always thought he was the only one who could actually pick it up. I know it was definitely that way in the Marvel comics (well, him and a select few others). So for me with that "knowledge" at first it was a bit like "Ok, this is a game... but that's not right.". But like I said I'm not totally familiar with the Thor myth, so it wasn't a "THAT'S it! They effed up Thor's myth, I'm DONE!" thing. Really very nit picky, I suppose. Just a "Is that possible?" thing. After the first swing tho, yeah, Mjolnir was badass.

Well, I think they just kind of twisted the myth a bit so that Lara could use the hammer, also, it gave her a reason to globe trot. :p I think it was a nice spin on the myth imo. :D

I think the Dagger of Xian is probably my favorite with the Scion as a really close second. I just really love the lore behind it, and the history of the Monks and the Fiamma Nera battling for it, it was a pretty awesome artifact. and the way it looks and stuff, ugh I want a replica so bad. ;__;

I really really love the Scion, it's so mysterious it's so enthralling. Plus the name as well makes it sound so cool. :p I never cared for III's artifacts, I found those boring tbh. :\ I also really loved CD's relics, man, some of ya'll are so harsh on CD I swear. :p Excalibur was so cool, and finally getting it at the end and being able to wield was so awesome. Same for Mjolnir, the cutscene when Lara finally gets it is so damn cool. It's also pretty great when Lara chucks it at Natla's head. :lol:

Rai
19th Dec 2014, 10:03
The idea that Underworld was getting at with Mjolnir was that you have to be wearing the special gauntlets to wield the hammer. This implies that there was nothing special about Thor himself other than he had the gauntlets. Still, even the gauntlets were choosy: remember that Lara could wear them, but they didn't work on Amanda.

The reason for the gauntlets not working for Amanda was because Lara got them first and they'd already formed for her hand size. Had Amanda got them first, then they would have worked for her. That's the only way they're 'choosy' . Which begs the question, did Lara have the same size hands as Thor or did the gauntlets reset as it were with Thor gone?

WinterSoldierLTE
19th Dec 2014, 10:48
The reason for the gauntlets not working for Amanda was because Lara got them first and they'd already formed for her hand size. Had Amanda got them first, then they would have worked for her. That's the only way they're 'choosy' . Which begs the question, did Lara have the same size hands as Thor or did the gauntlets reset as it were with Thor gone?

The glove itself broke apart when she touched it. What she was wearing was a kind of locking mechanism inside the glove itself which seemed to adjust to her hand size. So yeah, I'd say it reset.

Nitephall
22nd Dec 2014, 23:33
The reason for the gauntlets not working for Amanda was because Lara got them first and they'd already formed for her hand size. Had Amanda got them first, then they would have worked for her. That's the only way they're 'choosy' .

You're making a big assumption there. Who's to say the locking mechanism doesn't have some kind of rudimentary consciousness? For example, why didn't it "reset" when Amanda tried it? Because it knew she wasn't worthy.

Rai
23rd Dec 2014, 00:01
You're making a big assumption there. Who's to say the locking mechanism doesn't have some kind of rudimentary consciousness? For example, why didn't it "reset" when Amanda tried it? Because it knew she wasn't worthy.

I don't know for sure, of course, but I was just going by the cutscene where Amanda is all miffed as the gauntlet she has is too small. Natla does say that even killing Lara won't unbind the artefact. I just interpreted it as Lara having worn the gauntlets first is the reason behind the fit and the 'bind' as Natla calls it. I don't know why Lara could use them if they're bound to the previous user even after death.

Scion_Light
9th Jan 2015, 15:09
The glove itself broke apart when she touched it. What she was wearing was a kind of locking mechanism inside the glove itself which seemed to adjust to her hand size. So yeah, I'd say it reset.

A debate about who can use Thor's hammer reminds me when the girls were arguing about that in Big Bang Theory.

I am going to pick dagger of Xian as it's effects are so dramatic to turn people into a dragon.

a_big_house
9th Jan 2015, 15:45
The real question about the gauntlets is how did Richard take the one from Thailand and it not break apart? *detective hat*

My fave is Excalibur, just because of the green blasts and the way Lara swings it and such

WinterSoldierLTE
9th Jan 2015, 23:48
The real question about the gauntlets is how did Richard take the one from Thailand and it not break apart? *detective hat*

That's a good question. I'd never even thought of that before. That's one of those things that makes me want to know about Richard's adventures. Or Henshingly, if that's your poison.

AdobeArtist
10th Jan 2015, 01:23
A debate about who can use Thor's hammer reminds me when the girls were arguing about that in Big Bang Theory.

Awesome episode :lol:

Tihocan
10th Jan 2015, 01:24
It has always been the Scion for me. I also really like the "clock-ish" appearance of the TRA version.

Charlie_T_Raider
14th Feb 2015, 14:55
The scion looked really cool and the way it split into the three sections that you had to unite was great. I prefered the big colourful circles of the orignal one though over TRA's version.

Manx_a_million
5th May 2015, 16:08
I like the Dagger of Xian because it's transformation is so dramatic.

Chaugmar
6th May 2015, 10:57
Am choosing the scion but mainly because this was the first TR that I play and it look impressive.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
16th May 2015, 16:24
Funny to make the last few posts an alternating pattern but I am going for Dagger of Xian simply because the dragon concept is really cool. The only one I never understood I why anybody would want to change themselves into a big spider like the power of the TR3 artefacts.