PDA

View Full Version : USER INTERFACE [Suggestion] While waiting for match have Warm Up round

Black--Blade
10th Dec 2014, 12:52
The Problem:
I find my self and other users as well many times sitting around waiting for a round to start, while doing nothing but sitting in the lobby

Suggestion:
Have a Warm-up round going while we wait so we can play or do something while we wait for more players to start a match
Can maybe even be a game mode for challenge or something, it will also help users know each other while waiting

What you guys think?

Rago600
24th Mar 2015, 15:03
This is something that i wish to be implemented in the Game, for over 1 Year, i totally agree on this.
It would be so nice to have a Warmup mode.

I often thought about it but somehow i forgot to Post it in the Forums.

YES PLEASE !

TendrilSavant
25th Mar 2015, 00:09
Is there any game that does this? I've seen this brought up before, but I assume there's various technical limitations that don't make this a possibility.

PencileyePirate
25th Mar 2015, 00:31
Is there any game that does this? I've seen this brought up before, but I assume there's various technical limitations that don't make this a possibility.

Assumptions are bad. ; )

Plenty of games have done this ... it was a standard feature for many arena shooters in the past. There should be no technical limitations preventing this, and it's also something I suggested in early closed beta. Actually I find it very strange that modern games regularly put 'ready up' in a lobby rather than in-game during a warmup round.

TendrilSavant
25th Mar 2015, 01:04
Assumptions are bad. ; )
I say "assume," but it's more of an educated guess from my basic knowledge of the Unreal engine.

Plenty of games have done this ... it was a standard feature for many arena shooters in the past.
Any current games? Or more to the point, current games on the Unreal engine?

There should be no technical limitations preventing this, and it's also something I suggested in early closed beta. Actually I find it very strange that modern games regularly put 'ready up' in a lobby rather than in-game during a warmup round.
I used technical limitation more as jargon to describe a monumental task, not to impossibility. While I'll agree that it's technically possible, is it worth all the time and effort for at best a minimum improvement?

PencileyePirate
25th Mar 2015, 01:23
Any current games? Or more to the point, current games on the Unreal engine?

CS:GO is about 3 years old and has a hybrid in-game warmup with pre-game ready up. Also UT3 had it on UE3 in 2007, and Nosgoth is running on the same engine. Besides, why should current games matter? It's not as if this is a task like content creation that increases in difficulty as games get more complex; it's just a user interface mechanism to help trigger when the actual scoring begins (and perhaps manipulates timer, restarts spawns, etc.)

I used technical limitation more as jargon to describe a monumental task, not to impossibility. While I'll agree that it's technically possible, is it worth all the time and effort for at best a minimum improvement?

I think even the word "monumental" is vastly overestimating the complexity of this task. I also think having a warmup mode instead of hour long lobby waits should not be described as "a minimum improvement."

Ygdrasel
25th Mar 2015, 01:33
Something to do while waiting? Yes please. I usually browse the store to see if there's any abilities I want to try but that's just not enough. A warm-up mode or some sort of lore gallery or anything would be great.

TendrilSavant
25th Mar 2015, 02:41
CS:GO is about 3 years old and has a hybrid in-game warmup with pre-game ready up. Also UT3 had it on UE3 in 2007, and Nosgoth is running on the same engine.
Thank you. I hate it when people say there's plenty of examples, and then not give any. I don't remember UT3 having it but I didn't spend much time online with that game so I'll take your word.

Besides, why should current games matter? It's not as if this is a task like content creation that increases in difficulty as games get more complex; it's just a user interface mechanism to help trigger when the actual scoring begins (and perhaps manipulates timer, restarts spawns, etc.)
Well, I think you're overlooking the fact that Nosgoth is following the F2P model. I've played a various amount of F2P games on the UE3 in the last few years, Hawken and BLR to name some, and none of them had a "warm up" rounds.

So maybe it's not so much about technical limitations (mostly), and more about a balance between what can be done and the games accessibility. For instance, the need to have access to the in game shop between matches is important; and since currently switching between the shop and in-game have load times, it could hamper accessibility especially for older machines.

I think even the word "monumental" is vastly overestimating the complexity of this task. I also think having a warmup mode instead of hour long lobby waits should not be described as "a minimum improvement."
Sure, monumental is a hyperbole, but whether it's the right word to use depends whether or not there's "technical debt" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt) to overcome. It took months to integrate a 3d model viewer, even though UE3 is capable to do this out of the box. So I'm sure at least some code would need to be fixed to allow a warm up round.

Yes waiting for "hours" is a problem for some, but it could be handled in other ways like modifying match making or adding a ready up option that could allow a game to force start with 3v3 for instance.

Rago600
25th Mar 2015, 10:31
Ready Mode, Ready Mode ! :D

Tbh All Shooter had this, UT Quake and so on...
For me Nosgoth is the First Game, and talking about what is techincal possible, should not be even on Discussion,
It´s Software.
This is the UNREAL Engine & You can also implenment a Store into the Game, for me this would also make sense, for Buying Optical Stuff Ingame.
Why Not ! ;)

Im Happy we are doing real Alphas & Betas here, thats why we have it.

Equanimityjohn
28th Mar 2015, 05:46
Absolutely this. Eliminate the lobbies and have a "ready up" system in game. Until all the players, once the game is full, ready up have a warm up round. (Including the option to switch teams please!) If there are 3/4s of the server's players set to "ready" then kick those who do not ready within 45~ seconds. Reset the "ready" status of every player if a player leaves. Make it impossible to be "ready" until the game is full.

EZ PZ LEMON SQUEEZY