PDA

View Full Version : Is 3rd party crosshairs considered cheating?

RazielWarmonic
8th Dec 2014, 19:30
Is 3rd party crosshairs considered cheating?

Like using the Mumble overlay to display a dot in the middle of our screen alongside the in game overlay. A lot of people have asked this question and I simply do not have an answer for them, would be great to know.

Thanks!
Warmonic

FireWorks_
8th Dec 2014, 20:11
Id like to know that, too.

uNborn-
8th Dec 2014, 21:03
I don't use one, but to be honest they could always just physically add a dot in the middle of the screen using removable marker. Comp players have been doing this since 1.6 cs and quake. Obviously can't police that, so no . Overlays are allowed as far as I know .

PencileyePirate
8th Dec 2014, 21:04
No, it's not. It's a crosshair, and something that should really be in the game already.

FireWorks_
8th Dec 2014, 21:55
I don't use one, but to be honest they could always just physically add a dot in the middle of the screen using removable marker. Comp players have been doing this since 1.6 cs and quake. Obviously can't police that, so no . Overlays are allowed as far as I know .

No, it's not. It's a crosshair, and something that should really be in the game already.
Careful! While I agree it should be legal for obv onscreen marker reason, not every game allows it and over the course of years its been a bannable offense on many games. (Afterall a missing crosshair can be a "stylistic device" to create a variety of nice effects [that are usually not liked by comp players]).

A clear and official statement would be very much appreciated.

Psyonix_Corey
8th Dec 2014, 23:17
I would not consider it cheating, and if we decided to change that stance we will make sure to announce it officially with some kind of grace period.

It's no different than taping something to your monitor which we can't do anything about. As long as you aren't using programs to display information not available to the normal user (player locations, wallhack, aim cones, etc.) I don't consider it cheating.

FireWorks_
9th Dec 2014, 01:31
I would not consider it cheating, and if we decided to change that stance we will make sure to announce it officially with some kind of grace period.

It's no different than taping something to your monitor which we can't do anything about. As long as you aren't using programs to display information not available to the normal user (player locations, wallhack, aim cones, etc.) I don't consider it cheating.

Very nice! Hope VAC knows too :P

While were at it...

Do shots/skills spawn at the front of the weapons/models or at the centre of the monitor/pure hitscan? Mostly an issue in very close encounters.

Thanks for your time!