PDA

View Full Version : Don't reset settings on every update

JanusDominus
6th Dec 2014, 18:29
What's in the title. All my settings (save for texture) get reset EVERY TIME there is an update. It's annoying.

FireWorks_
6th Dec 2014, 20:05
+1

Yes it is, and setting the .ini to read-only is the first thing getting asked if bugs occur:/

TendrilSavant
6th Dec 2014, 20:21
This seems to be a common bug/feature of games on the unreal engine. At least in other unreal f2p games i've played in recent years. Not saying it should't be fixed, just that i'm not sure there is an easy fix.

PencileyePirate
6th Dec 2014, 21:58
This seems to be a common bug/feature of games on the unreal engine. At least in other unreal f2p games i've played in recent years. Not saying it should't be fixed, just that i'm not sure there is an easy fix.

There is a (fairly) easy fix. Using diff + some string replacement could solve this without too much trouble. In the meantime I've set my INIs to read-only and keep a backup for when that causes problems.

Rago600
7th Dec 2014, 09:13
There is a (fairly) easy fix. Using diff + some string replacement could solve this without too much trouble. In the meantime I've set my INIs to read-only and keep a backup for when that causes problems.

Im not sure if it is that easy, you have to rebuilt all the Files.
I did try Saving the *.ini´s and Replace them but i still Had to rebind the Keys Ingame.
(I used to Play UT games ;))

*Suggestion -> If any of you have a Little Time How about Programming a Little Tool for the Keybind´s in English.
Im sure the Community will Like such tools :)

Cristari
7th Dec 2014, 14:35
Please I agree with this!

Who the hell would ever want to play with that level of motion blur in a game I mean seriously depending on the X-Bow you use you can be aiming at 3 or 4 versions of the one target!

I almost hurled in the furst match I played before I could remember how to turn it off again!

Vampmaster
7th Dec 2014, 14:40
Maybe they could just store the date or version number in the ini filename? Then the old one wouldn't be stomped over after every update and could be reimported.

Enlightened_Fool
8th Dec 2014, 14:43
It'd be nice for settings to not be reset every update, but 'tis only a minor inconvenience. I'm assuming when it updates it replaces most all files, as the dl is almost always the same roundabout dl size of a gb or so. Also, beta.

Psyonix_Corey
8th Dec 2014, 23:20
I agree that this sucks. We did some work a long time ago to reduce the chance of it happening, but Unreal 3's INI system inherently kind of sucks for frequently patched games (as mentioned above). There are also cute features like daylight savings time triggering INI resets.

We're discussing internally how to make input bindings and video settings completely reset-proof while still allowing us to fix bugs if they arise. I don't have a timeline though as Open Beta stability issues are a higher priority.