PDA

View Full Version : First impressions - spoilertags applied

Blacktron
6th Dec 2014, 09:45
I'm at level three now; so far this game has two things that TR9 didn't have:

(About dialogue and voice over)Number one: funny dialogue. While I understand that the serious tone of TR9 was fitting to the story that was told, I very much enjoy the funny, lighthearted dialogue in Temple of Osiris.

Lara: This mural tells the myth of Khepri.
Horus: Myth?
Lara: Sorry, force of habit.

Set: What did you doooo!?
Lara: What I told you I would!

Carter: That's going to the British Museum right?
Lara: Uh... Yeah, yeah, don't worry.

I also very much appreciate it that Keeley Hawes does the voice over work again. It would have been a bad mistake to let Camilla Luddington do it: now there really is a separation between the serious Nolanized Camilla-Lara and the sort of comic book Keeley-Lara. Within the Lara Croft umbrella each one complements the other were the other is lacking and I am really glad that Crystal Dynamics still found room for the old fashioned comic book Lara instead of completely focussing on the new serious one. It also allows for a consistant tone with each one of them.

(About the soundtracks)Second thing: the music. As mentioned before I found the music in TR9 rather dull. Not here! Here it creates an atmosphere that reminds me of old-timey historical epics, such as Cecil B. DeMille's The Ten Commandments. But maybe that's just me. But given the Egyptian theme I guess the composers and directors struck the right tone there for me :D

Overall my first impressions are completely positive: I haven't encountered a serious flaw yet.

Heartwire
6th Dec 2014, 09:57
Have been having a good impression too.
I only encountered 2 bugs, 1 that was somewhat gamebreaking.

Inm one of the temples you have to set vents on fire.
If you accidencally hit it while having fire bullets before the cutscene hits, you will be stuck there and can't process.
Relogging etc nothing helped.
The only thing I managed to do to fix it, is join on my 2nd controller, copy my mains save, and then copy that save back, relog and login by myself, and that fixed it fortunately.

The minor bug I had was stepping into the water and being stuck on a staircase (couldn't move)
Easy way to fix it, is just pop bombs under yourself and kill yourself.
Only 2 bugs I encountered, and only happened once each.

All in all though, I'm loving the music, I'm loving the gameplay, I just need people to do co-op with, as non of my RL friends are gamers to begin with.

Blacktron
6th Dec 2014, 10:12
If you want I'll look out for you on PSN, though I can't communicate through headset and I'm not as leveled up yet.

Heartwire
6th Dec 2014, 10:14
That's fine, feel free to add me, I'll be on again later today.
My PSN is the same as my forum name.
I can help you progress if you want, plus 1,2,3 and 4 player games all give ammo and health upgrades individually, so it's a plus for me too.
It seems this game encourages co-op for progression sake.
And after doing a few 2 man games with random people it's actually pretty fun.

Blacktron
6th Dec 2014, 10:30
I'll be busy today, but tomorrow I'll be back :)

Weemanply109
6th Dec 2014, 17:56
Glad to hear positive stuff. :D I love comical Lara dialogue. :lol:

RybatGrimes
9th Dec 2014, 06:35
So how long is it? I heard 6 hours and tbh I don't want to spend 20 dollars on a 6 hour game lmao.

Heartwire
9th Dec 2014, 06:48
Took me about 6 hours to complete the entire story, though every tomb you visit also has challanges which can't be completed in 1 go, so it has replay value.
Not to mention you can complete everything in 2, 3 and 4 player co-op, changing the puzzles in each tomb depending on the ammount of players, on top of collectibles (e.g. upgrades and such) which you can get in 1,2,3 and 4 player versions of each tomb.
Not to mention there are a lot of different loot items available, ranging from common to legendary.
If you are getting this to play c-op then it's definitly worth the 20 dollars.

Ontop of that, there are plenty of yhigh end titles that cost 60-70 bucks and last maybe 10 hours with no replay value.