PDA

View Full Version : Chest Keys?

cmstache
21st Feb 2014, 19:42
We've been given little information about chests. However, we've been given enough to know the basic premise of what they are for.

My question for the dev team is:

What happens to a chest when we get it? Is it stored in the inventory, or does it have to be used instantly? In particular, with the keys. I really would like to know If I need to keep 1 or two ready for use, or if I can just purchase them as I get them.

Also, will duplicate items (much like perks are found) be obtained from chests? I only ask because it really might devalue keys for the players if we fork out extra cash for a chest key, only to get an item we already have.

I realize you can only say so much at the moment. But, I'm trying to figure out how much money I can see myself investing, early on.

hirukaru
21st Feb 2014, 19:47
I think it will be stored in Inventory..
Rest would be nice to know (also for FAQ)

Saecred-XIV
21st Feb 2014, 21:01
Chests will be comparable to the Crates found in games such as Team Fortress 2 (correct me if the term is wrong, i haven't played TF2 in a while). It will be found in your inventory and can be opened at any time with a Key. As for the key, it's on-use item. You could purchase them and as long as they are unused they will also remain in your inventory.

Chests have a higher-than-normal chance to drop a Uncommon/Rare items with stats Modifiers.

Uncommon and Rare Items are part of a new system introduced in Beta. Please before anyone pulls out the pitchforks. Uncommon and Rare items will NOT be pay-to-win but also findable as item drops at the end of a game and also merely side-grades at best. They will allow you to customize certain attributes of your abilities. Uncommon and Rare items will also NOT make it an unfair advantage for those that have a Rare weapon against someone that has a "Common" (default) one. The game will remain balanced but you will be able to customize specific things :)

Further information will be made available in an official post. I am already talking too much ;) MonkeyThumbz won't be very happy if I spill too much!

I hope that answers some questions :)
-SXIV

cmstache
21st Feb 2014, 21:11
Other than the last one, but yes. It helps a lot.

Saecred-XIV
21st Feb 2014, 21:18
Other than the last one, but yes. It helps a lot.

EDIT: Corey just answered, please see his comment below! :)

Psyonix_Corey
21st Feb 2014, 21:27
Also, will duplicate items (much like perks are found) be obtained from chests? I only ask because it really might devalue keys for the players if we fork out extra cash for a chest key, only to get an item we already have.

Yes, the design is built around trading and the intent is that if you get a duplicate you find a friend who wants it to exchange with.

Ultimately if we end up with too much item duplicate stockpiling we will add some way for you to 'melt down' stuff you don't want and craft new stuff.

Also the paid chests are built around typically giving you uncommons or rares with random properties, so it should be way less frequent to find a true duplicate.

SqueexID
21st Feb 2014, 22:08
Uncommon and Rare items will also NOT make it an unfair advantage for those that have a Rare weapon against someone that has a "Common" (default) one. The game will remain balanced but you will be able to customize specific things :) *Puts away pitchfork*

Psyonix_Eric
21st Feb 2014, 22:26
*Puts away pitchfork*
Corey's description of how the new items will work might help you to further melt that pitchfork down into scrap metal. :)

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=9619&p=83669#post83669

cmstache
21st Feb 2014, 22:49
Yes, the design is built around trading and the intent is that if you get a duplicate you find a friend who wants it to exchange with.

Ultimately if we end up with too much item duplicate stockpiling we will add some way for you to 'melt down' stuff you don't want and craft new stuff.

Also the paid chests are built around typically giving you uncommons or rares with random properties, so it should be way less frequent to find a true duplicate.

That was it. Thanks Corey!! :)

Hugbringer
22nd Feb 2014, 00:33
This thread answered the same questions I had been waiting to ask just moment I logged in. I'm actually rather glad that it is this way and that I can trade. In a normal sense, I can't stand the random pack thing, specially when it involves real money (Like CC Games like Magic the Gathering, can't stand random packs of stuff)

So being able to trade stuff away and or 'Melt' it down to create some sort of generic 'item' in which to craft new items is ....okay, depending on what the loss rate is between item and conversion. I'm not as concerned as I used to be about the whole 'Chest' thing, as I was mostly expecting to end up with a ton of duplicate stuff in my inventory that I've no real use for.

So by trading, is there going to be some sort of 'Market' or the like where one can put up items for sale? Or should I just shut my big mouth and wait for the announcement to come? I probably should just shut up regardless....don't answer that...

NemesisR4
23rd Feb 2014, 12:58
It will be good way to support the developers.

hirukaru
25th Feb 2014, 22:40
It will be good way to support the developers.

I support them in a different way. WIth all my <3 and rageing in game :D

Razaiim
25th Feb 2014, 22:52
Along the lines of these special items, will there be any that have an impact on standard vampire melee? I remember someone mentioning they wanted fire claws. I was also thinking of an item that trim the end's of the vampire's animations to give faster attacks with no cleave, and some other bonus as well. Maybe these can go in the perk slot, or a new one for claws/gauntlets (reaver wears gauntlets I think).

Hugbringer
25th Feb 2014, 23:35
Along the lines of these special items, will there be any that have an impact on standard vampire melee? I remember someone mentioning they wanted fire claws. I was also thinking of an item that trim the end's of the vampire's animations to give faster attacks with no cleave, and some other bonus as well. Maybe these can go in the perk slot, or a new one for claws/gauntlets (reaver wears gauntlets I think).

I'd always been curious about this as well. It did at times seem a bit 'odd' that the humans would have 7-ish items to purchase where vamps only had say 4. Some of those items, in the case of the scout and alchemist, would provide inherent benefits/drawbacks that became apart of the build process. Granted the vamps have 3 powers at their disposal, where humans only have 2....I suppose that that is the balance between the two, though an interesting concept for the future possibly.

I'm also guessing that this isn't the first time this idea has been brought up either :)

Razaiim
25th Feb 2014, 23:43
I'd always been curious about this as well. It did at times seem a bit 'odd' that the humans would have 7-ish items to purchase where vamps only had say 4. Some of those items, in the case of the scout and alchemist, would provide inherent benefits/drawbacks that became apart of the build process. Granted the vamps have 3 powers at their disposal, where humans only have 2....I suppose that that is the balance between the two, though an interesting concept for the future possibly.

I'd disagree about that being the balance. Humans can still buy weapons which go a decent ways to switching things up. I was mildly annoyed with the lack of variety you see on vampires. You get 3 special skills to choose (sent gets 2, and one is just a damage upgrade except for some circumstances), 2 different primary skills, 2 different secondary (sent gets 3). Humans have a grand total of 4 weapons, 2 primary skills, and 4 secondary skills.

Khalith
26th Feb 2014, 00:54
I'd disagree about that being the balance. Humans can still buy weapons which go a decent ways to switching things up. I was mildly annoyed with the lack of variety you see on vampires. You get 3 special skills to choose (sent gets 2, and one is just a damage upgrade except for some circumstances), 2 different primary skills, 2 different secondary (sent gets 3). Humans have a grand total of 4 weapons, 2 primary skills, and 4 secondary skills.

This bothered me to, but I like to think that the other vamp abilities just haven't been implemented/programmed in yet given that it's an alpha. I could be wrong though.

Psyonix_Eric
26th Feb 2014, 00:56
This bothered me to, but I like to think that the other vamp abilities just haven't been implemented/programmed in yet given that it's an alpha. I could be wrong though.
You're not wrong. Point in case - the Shadow Step skill you saw in our Twitch stream videos.

Khalith
26th Feb 2014, 01:01
You're not wrong. Point in case - the Shadow Step skill you saw in our Twitch stream videos.

Yup, thought as much. Thanks eric! <3

Razaiim
26th Feb 2014, 01:11
I'm more interested in what the sent gets to replace kidnap/abduct.

cmstache
26th Feb 2014, 01:13
I like the "wing blade" idea that was suggested a while back.

Razaiim
26th Feb 2014, 01:17
I kind of want a ground slam, where the sentinel grabs a human on the ground, flies up, then essentially does a dive bomb with him. ooh or maybe even a Prototype style body surf, just for style points.

cmstache
26th Feb 2014, 01:23
I thought about that too :), except a replacement for take-off. You'd have to be next to them, and it wouldn't have the AoE that take-off has.

Khalith
26th Feb 2014, 10:16

I assume that it will be related to their ability to fly. My immediate thought is something like an air dash/burst of speed while flying or an aerial version of pounce that only works on a single target and may or may not stun.

cmstache
26th Feb 2014, 12:27
I would assume that it HAS to be related to flying. Save the non-flyong abilities for primary and secondary skills.

Razaiim
26th Feb 2014, 18:30
Nope. New Special for Sentinel: Crane Kick: Sentinel dons a karate uniform, balances on one foot, and flaps upwards to give mighty kick to face. If used while running, then it becomes a leaping front kick.

hirukaru
27th Feb 2014, 13:22

Takeoff abduct.

Ground sentinel sneaks up to a human grabs him and flies off to X hight.

MagicGenie
28th Mar 2014, 21:22
hey community
Since 1 hour or longer the ingame keys (wish needed to open the trasure chest)
are missing.I already tried with pc rebot relog and so on.

a feedback if iam the only one who have this issue would be great.

Ps: english aint my main language so pls excuse me if u dont understand 1 word:worship:

Nonnatus
28th Mar 2014, 21:25
Yeah about two hours ago I got some runestones just so I could buy some keys for my chests, as soon as I purchased the runes the keys are no longer available for purchase.

TheTykero
30th Mar 2014, 04:08
I may be missing something, but I can't seem to buy keys.
Here's what it looks like in the store:

If I try to open a chest, it says I need a key and prompts me to purchase one. Clicking confirm does nothing.

This issue has persisted over a few days, with multiple restarts of the game and my computer in-between.

Monkeythumbz
31st Mar 2014, 18:08
I may be missing something, but I can't seem to buy keys.
Here's what it looks like in the store:

If I try to open a chest, it says I need a key and prompts me to purchase one. Clicking confirm does nothing.

This issue has persisted over a few days, with multiple restarts of the game and my computer in-between.

Thanks for alerting us to this, much appreciated. Have you raised the issue with our dedicated Tech Support team via http://support.Nosgoth.com/ ?

Psyonix_Corey
31st Mar 2014, 18:49
Hi,

We've temporarily disabled Key sales while we re-evaluate the Chest system and their contents.

MordaxPraetorian
31st Mar 2014, 19:17
I know Psyonix and Square are currently busy re-evaluating the chest system, so I thought I'd make a thread for us all to point out any appealing qualities of the current system that should be kept or even emphasised in the new system, rather than just complaining about what needs to change (please keep chest complaints out of this thread, we've all heard them thanks)

Personally, I like the opportunity to fish for items that may better suit a play-style of choice while not being strictly better than what can be earned by playing, the principle behind the system is fine

I also believe that the random nature of the items is important, it creates a feel of excitement opening the chest, not knowing what will come out of it, please preserve some randomness

The random nature of chests would also have worked particularly well with Nosgoth's planned Warband system, which was stated to have a shared inventory system. I could imagine those players who can't spend on keys donating their chests to the Warband, for players with cash to spare to open them, take the items they're interested in, and put the rest back into the pool for those players who can't pay and wouldn't have had access to any special items otherwise. Everyone wins out of that system and assuming that is what the developers intend it's a clever quality that should stay

I also like that the items produced are not strictly better than the basic versions, it prevents players with no money to spare for keys, or any membership of a Warband from being at a disadvantage, please keep this

Assuming that the expiration/top up system is staying, I like that it can be paid for by gold as well as rune-stones, it not only gives a way for non-paying players to top up items that have been given to them, but also gives long time veteran players who have bought everything a way to use their gold up so that it doesn't build up in their account quite so much

TheTykero
1st Apr 2014, 00:06
Hi,

We've temporarily disabled Key sales while we re-evaluate the Chest system and their contents.

I'd just like to say that I like the chest system upon learning that the items you get from them aren't temporary, but the rate at which chests drop, compared to the cost of the keys, is a bit much. I've only been playing for roughly a week and I have more chests than I would probably open in two months.

Also, I hope you consider (if possible) making Nosgoth items steam-tradeable. You're probably already aware of Valve's DevDays talks, but they credit tradeable items as being a significant source of monetizing free players (paying players trading purchased items, such as keys, for cool items found by free players, etc.)

I'm sure you've got other things to work on at the moment, but I hope that's on your radar at least! Hope this is useful.

0Exroath0
2nd Apr 2014, 14:32
I'd just like to say that I like the chest system upon learning that the items you get from them aren't temporary, but the rate at which chests drop, compared to the cost of the keys, is a bit much. I've only been playing for roughly a week and I have more chests than I would probably open in two months.

Also, I hope you consider (if possible) making Nosgoth items steam-tradeable. You're probably already aware of Valve's DevDays talks, but they credit tradeable items as being a significant source of monetizing free players (paying players trading purchased items, such as keys, for cool items found by free players, etc.)

I'm sure you've got other things to work on at the moment, but I hope that's on your radar at least! Hope this is useful.

I would second, this my 4 friends I have invited have dropped tf2 for this classing it as a more adult experience.

Trading does bring in pain in the ass traders to the game but it would drag in more people.

Psyonix_Corey
2nd Apr 2014, 18:25
Trading's planned but there's a lot to get done. The chest drop rate was bugged, you weren't supposed to get so many.

TheTykero
5th Apr 2014, 03:34
Trading's planned but there's a lot to get done. The chest drop rate was bugged, you weren't supposed to get so many.

Corey, I've been playing lately and finding that I'm getting zero to one item a day (in 3~6 matches of playtime). This new rate seems abysmally low, especially considering the items I do get tend to last such a short amount of time. I've seen games end and nobody be awarded an item. Is this intentional? This game is pretty fair with its monetization model, which is why I decided to support it in the first place. I feel like it's still pretty fair (certainly compared to Hawken, which I dropped entirely in favor of Nosgoth) but the low rate of item rewards, combined with the rapid expiration on such items, is a little demoralizing.

Regardless, keep up the good work. I'll look forward to trading! I'm sure you have a lot to deal with first, so I'll keep my expectations in check.

Razaiim
2nd Jun 2014, 00:56
So I still have several chests in my inventory, but keys are disabled. Is there any reason to hold on to them or will something be happening with the chests in the future?

RainaAudron
2nd Jun 2014, 11:23
Yeah, keep the chests while they are re-evaulating the keys (they should be introduced later).

Prime_Abstergo
2nd Jun 2014, 11:35
Yeah, keep the chests while they are re-evaulating the keys (they should be introduced later). Is it possible that keys will have their cost reduced from ridiculous 500 to reasonable 50 RS? If so then I've deleted 24 chests too damn early :(

Strike5150
2nd Jun 2014, 11:47
Yes keys are retarded expensive.

MasterZtark
2nd Jun 2014, 15:12
So I still have several chests in my inventory, but keys are disabled. Is there any reason to hold on to them or will something be happening with the chests in the future?
Any reason? Well, yes, the hope that keys will be brought back in the future. There's really no good reason to delete chests at the moment. You would rather be safe than sorry, eh?

While on the subject of keys and their price... Were they removed for any particular reason? It sounds to me that they gave off the "pay to win" impression to some people, and their whole place in the game had to be reevaluated.

cmstache
2nd Jun 2014, 15:16
They were removed because of the item system needing work. Some people got a great deal, while others got a crappy deal.. It was too much of a gamble for the price. They will re-release keys when that system is returned.

RainaAudron
2nd Jun 2014, 15:17
Were they removed for any particular reason?

I think they were removed bec. they cost 500 RS while the content in the chest was many times not worth it.

Razaiim
2nd Jun 2014, 21:49
Well sadly if keys can only be found by runestones and I have no means of online transactions, I'm gonna have to pooch em anyways

Shagoss
4th Jun 2014, 23:53
Are there any plans to make these a reward at the end of a match? possibly a small chance to get a gold chest if you win and a small chance to get a silver chest if you lose.

by small chance I mean something like .50% -2.50% chance to obtain a chest. obviously they want to generate some cash in this game through micro transactions and skins alone won't cut it.

That being said I don't think buying chests would be a bad idea because it doesn't guarantee you anything for any certain class.

Or just make green and blue quality skills/weapons purchase-able with in game gold.

cmstache
5th Jun 2014, 00:39
There already were set that way. They are temporarily removed due to the dev team reworking the item system.

Shagoss
5th Jun 2014, 00:43
Sweet, thank you for the info.

cmstache
5th Jun 2014, 00:57
mhmm

Elburko
4th Dec 2014, 04:21
When can i unlock these chests i have in my inventory?

13oundary
4th Dec 2014, 11:59
Right click -> Open.

Enjoy!

MasterShuriko
4th Dec 2014, 12:38
Right click -> Open.

Enjoy!

He´s probably talking about chests that we used to need a Key to unlock that we purchasd with Runes. Those cant be "rightclicked-> open"

As far as I know we are stuck with them until they decide what to do with them. Since they wasnt happy with the rewards in them since they demanded we purchased keys with actual money.

13oundary
4th Dec 2014, 13:32
you may be right... I hope you are not, for this guys sake :)

I just remember it not being obvious how to open the class level 5 boxes... so I thought that that would help.

Razaiim
5th Dec 2014, 00:19
Hold up, did keyed chests get ninja-patched back in? Because them and Keys have been removed for nearly 7 months.

Edit: Just checked my inventory, the loot chests from eons ago have been renamed to [class name] Chest, but when I right-click to open, they still say they need a key and I need to purchase.