PDA

View Full Version : Best TR Game Story

WinterSoldierLTE
29th Nov 2014, 15:35
Tomb Raider is a series that's put more and more emphasis on story as it's progressed over the years. While one could argue that video games are for fun and entertainment and shouldn't need an in depth or compelling storyline to carry it's weight, it's impossible to look at this series without acknowledging what an engrossing story can add to an experience on top of good game play. With that being said, without considering game play, what is your favorite Tomb Raider story?

I meant to change the thread title from "best" to "favorite".

pidipidi39
29th Nov 2014, 16:30
I still think AoD has the best story in the whole series. Yes, it got a lot of cuts here and there but it felt so fresh/dark anyways and it has aged incredibly well (it could still be used in a videogame nowadays, even though it may require to be added depth to the characters).
The reboot comes right after it.

Metalrocks
29th Nov 2014, 16:31
TR9 in my view had a good story. simply since it has more characterization.

Rai
29th Nov 2014, 16:37
A good question and a difficult one to answer, imo. TR4, AoD, Legend and TR9 all have interesting stories. I definitely prefer a game with a story with some depth I can enjoy. Hmm, I can't quite decide between the four I've chosen as each tell different tales and in different ways and each have main stories intertwined with shorter sub plots.

a_big_house
29th Nov 2014, 16:37
Shame you can't multiple things, I'd have gone for Legend and Underworld, but alas, I chose Underworld

Weemanply109
29th Nov 2014, 16:51
My favourite story out of all the TR games is definitely Underworld. I'd give TR2013 credit for it's characters (other than Lara - who was written horribly) but everything else in TR2013 was predictable, flat (unintentional pun, I'm srs) and unoriginal. Underworld was dark, mysterious and interesting.

d1n0_xD
29th Nov 2014, 17:07
TR9 for me, definitely, can't wait to see where the story is heading next :D

dark7angel
29th Nov 2014, 17:48
Definitely Angel of Darkness for me! Best story in the TR 'verse.

Blacktron
29th Nov 2014, 18:28
I'll vote Legend when I can...

It's a classic. When remembering iconic lines and moments, how often are they not from Legend?
'Make sense right this second or I swear I'll execute you were you stand!'
'Woooo! Fireworks in Peru! I love it!'
'From this moment, your every breath is a gift from me!'
'They are two different bloody swords!'

Story of Anniversary: pretty much nonexistent.
Underworld: a messy, confused muddle of bad ideas, plot holes and unrealised potential.
TR9: It's, well... 'functional'. It keeps the narrative going and has some good, some even great moments, but I find it overall rather mediocre...

chriss_99
30th Nov 2014, 08:57
I voted for Tomb Raider I.

However, I wouldn't say TR1 and Anniversary are the same stories. There are some significant changes which make Anniversary a bit disappointing when it comes to storytelling.

Driber
30th Nov 2014, 09:15
AoD, hands down. Best story ever :cool:

TR9 came pretty close, and can be seen as AoD take 2, heh. But still AoD still wins because of its freshness, as mentioned earlier, and true originality. TR9 just had too many cliches and token characters for me to vote it #1.

IvanaKC
30th Nov 2014, 15:13
LAU trilogy for me, but Legend out of them all. When I played it for the first time, it seemed unpredictable. The feeling of 'what's happening to Lara's house' during Ghana mission was great. :D

WinterSoldierLTE
30th Nov 2014, 22:11
I voted for Tomb Raider I.

However, I wouldn't say TR1 and Anniversary are the same stories. There are some significant changes which make Anniversary a bit disappointing when it comes to storytelling.

Yeah I put some thought into if they should be counted as the same or not, and for me they basically are. The only variations I've noticed between the two when it comes to the story is Lara's motives are explained more in 'Anniversary'. It's made more of a mix of personal and professional business for her. In the original she just played for sport. At the end of the day though, I decided it's the same adventure with the same characters, minus the cowboy who never spoke in the original, and pretty much the exact same outcome. Gameplay wise, of course, is another story altogether.

And we're only allowed a maximum of 10 choices, so combining those two left room for "G.o.L.", "Curse of the Sword", and whatnot as options.

Tecstar70
30th Nov 2014, 22:34
The Last Revelation for me. It's just a great setting and a great story.

Error96_
1st Dec 2014, 02:47
If all the games had been separate I would have picked TR1. Simple but with so many moments of great emotion. The rewriting that was done in TRA put loads of nonsense in there and made Natla totally unconvincing as a character.

As TR1/TRA are together I will choose AOD as my fav. Beautifully dark and griping More exciting and better characterisation even than the TR(2013) story.

TSUSMC9
1st Dec 2014, 04:31
Tomb Raider 2013

NSW_pride
5th Dec 2014, 00:59
I'm gonna say TR1. I liked the story in that one the most, probably because that was my first one.

Scion_Light
6th Dec 2014, 01:43
If I could vote yet would choose TR1/A as it works so well to set up an epic final section in Atlantis.

Chaugmar
7th May 2015, 10:48
Overall it may be one of the weaker TR games but it's story is the best so I go for AOD.

Gitb97
7th May 2015, 16:21
I voted AOD because I feel like its the game that made me fall back in love with Tomb Raider after I disliked Underworld so much.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
16th May 2015, 16:13
On the story component alone I have to go for Angel of Darkness over TRL in 2nd as it has the most depth and originality. There were many twists in AOD and the characters weren't cliché.

Photodinopathy
2nd Jun 2015, 15:55
AOD by a long way. Had lots of twists and turns.

Gitb97
2nd Jun 2015, 16:29
AOD was one of those games that was ahead of its time and I read somewhere it was meant to be a sequel. After completing it I never felt like I had done that though, I felt kind of at a loss actually. The endings from previous games and the games CD made had much more thought out endings that left me feeling like I had actually ended the game.
However, the rest of AOD was original, interesting and fun. The story was dark and compelling and it had the most twists in any TR game IMO. Legend comes second place to me also, because that was where we saw Lara showing emotion and love (for her Mum of course) and the ending where she slaps Amanda with the pistol was brilliant and she deserved it.
Underworld also had a great story but the game itself felt lazy and cheesy. The character development went downhill especially for Zip. If I were to list my favourites (max of 5) it would be:
1. AOD
2. Legend
3. TR:2013
4. TR1/Anniversary
5. Chronicles

Relic_Runner
20th Jul 2015, 14:17
I havn't played them all but original is my favourite. I liked Lara's rivals and the twists towards the end of it.